• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 College Football / 2013 NFL Draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I was on my own against all of the reguars on the board in 2005. I really wish someone could go back and retrieve those old posts on there as proof.

"All" is hyperbole because I was a regular, and I remember a few people wishing alongside me that the Niners would trade down.

My prediction on Bray is that if he reaches his absolute best he could be a Drew Bledsoe, if he reaches his worse he is Jim Drukenmiller. Do I think he will be a great QB? I'm not sure, it depends on what team he goes to. If he goes to a team like the Browns who covert a QB with a big arm, then he will be successful, if he goes to a team that perfers short or horizontal passing game I think he'll struggle. Just depends on where he is drafted, this isn't madden you can't just plug anyone anywhere.

I'll have to ask you again once he gets drafted then.

How 'bout this: Can you name a recently drafted QB (more or less) whom you like a little more than Bray and one you like a little less?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Kenny Vaccaro is my bust perdition... In-stinks will be exposed on the next level and will get caught underneath.

Nice call. Vaccaro is probably 2nd on my bust list right now. I think he's obscenely overrated.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There are some players who we have no shot in landing and/or either we have no desire to draft them because we don't need them since we are stable at that particular position in which they play. Therefore I am excluding them from this list which are:

Geno, Jockel, Fisher, Star, Milliner, Johnson, Jordan, Ansah, Warmack, Floyd. Is it safe to assume at this point that those guys are going in the top 15?

Now, my following list consist of men who I think have a chance to fall our of the top 15 in which I would scream to get if we had the capability to get to pick #16 or close to that range:

Austin, Patterson, Werner, Xavier Rhodes, Sheldon Richardson, Mingo, Hankins, Jones (I don't like his speed, and that's one of the issues we had with our OLBs in the SB in trying to chase Flacco). But he knows how to get to the QB.

I wouldn't trade up for him, but if Cooper were to last until pick 31, I would play my hand by letting the situation play itself out and by drafting him because at that point clearly he would considered to be the BPA. Groom him to play center - would eventually be an upgrade over Goodwin. Trufant too - I wouldn't trade up for him, but at 31 I would scream to get him.

Now in rounds two, guys I would scream for
Amerson, Eifert, Moore, D. Jones, Slay, Short, Okafor, and several corners.

Brooks' speed is good for an OLB. He just loses contain too easily.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dee Milliner - DB - Crimson Tide

SI's Peter King is "hearing doubts" on Alabama CB Dee Milliner, and adds that the cover man could fall out of the top five.

We can buy it, since Milliner isn't a complete product right now. Specifically, Alabama corners of late have not been asked to back pedal in coverage, which is frequently utilized at the NFL level. He's very physical downfield and when helping in run support, but Milliner is no lock for the Lions at No. 5, who might go with a pass rusher instead.
Source: Sports Illustrated

Mar 25 - 8:40 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luke Joeckel - T - Aggies

SI's Peter King writes that Texas A&M T Luke Joeckel is "still the odds-on favorite to go No. 1 overall."

King added that he isn't hearing about any holes in Joeckel's game, which is definitely an excellent sign. We contend there are some slight cracks in the left tackle's tape, specifically ones that can be seen against Florida in the first game of the 2012 season. However, he is still a top prospect and will likely hear his name called first on April 25.

Mar 25 - 8:49 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Geno Smith - QB - Mountaineers

The Jaguars are "preliminarily" interested in WVU QB Geno Smith, according to SI's Peter King.

King adds that he is hearing "hopes" about Smith. The Jaguars are either very interested or have produced one amazing acting job. Regardless if he is selected with pick No. 2 or not, Geno appears to be locked into the top 10 picks.

Mar 25 - 9:17 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Fisher - T - Chippewas

SI's Peter King would not be surprised if the Lions "strongly consider" a T at pick No. 5, specifically Central Michigan's Eric Fisher or Oklahoma's Lane Johnson.

"Both could step in and play right tackle on day one -- if the hype is right -- and replace Gosder Cherilus," King writes. This is taking into account that the Lion might pass on a Alabama's Dee Milliner, "which would be an upset based on the Lions' crying need at cornerback." Lions beat writers have hinted at the possibility of taking a tackle, so this statement matches up.

Mar 25 - 9:26 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tyler Eifert - TE - Fighting Irish

In a poll conducted by Yahoo! Sports' Jason Cole, three of five NFL GMs chose Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert over Stanford's Zach Ertz.

However, "all of them said they'd be happy to end up with Ertz," Cole writes. "'I'll take the second guy, whoever it is,' said an AFC general manager who graded Eifert a little better based on his fluid athleticism. 'I just like that better because I think you can flex him out and get some better mismatches.'" Some draft analysts have pegged Tyler Eifert as the top skill position player in this class.
Source: Yahoo! Sports

Mar 25 - 10:14 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barkley - QB - Trojans

SI's Peter King believes USC QB Matt Barkley is "a solid NFL prospect with all the elements to succeed in the NFL except the cannon arm."

King believes that "if you don't allow his 2012 season to overwhelm your opinion of Barkley," you'll come to said conclusion. He adds that "plenty of quarterbacks have succeeded without said cannon arm." We like Barkley's intelligence, but his footwork and decisions under pressure are two other glaring issues.
Source: Sports on Earth

Mar 25 - 10:26 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharrif Floyd - DL - Gators

"A collection of Chiefs officials, including GM John Dorsey," will work out Florida DL Sharrif Floyd on Monday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

It will take place on the school's campus and fits under the "private workout" category. Floyd is not widely projected as the top pick in the draft, but some have deemed him this class' top prospect. He would likely play an end spot in the Chiefs' three man front.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 25 - 10:58 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft 2013
Ranking the top five safeties
Texas' Kenny Vaccaro heads the list of safety prospects in the 2013 NFL draft
Updated: March 25, 2013, 10:32 AM ET
By Herm Edwards | ESPN Insider

Kenny Vaccaro is an athletic, versatile safety who projects to be a first-round NFL draft pick.

As I wrote when I broke down my top cornerbacks in the 2013 draft, the NFL has become a pass-driven league. Not only do teams now need at least three cornerbacks to match up with opposing offenses in their base sets, but the safety position also has evolved.

Gone is the old strong safety who primarily played down in the box as a run defender. Safeties today must be three-down players capable of playing the run and pass while setting the edge. They must be able to match up against opposing slot receivers and tight ends. And they must also be good communicators, as they are the quarterbacks of the secondary.

After the defensive huddle is broken and the defensive call is given, safeties must control audibles, rotations and get everyone on the same page. Tackling as a safety is even more important than at corner -- because safeties are the last line of defense.

There is no Eric Berry or Ed Reed in this safety class -- and it isn't as strong as the cornerback class -- but there are still some good prospects. Here are my top five safeties in the 2013 draft class:

1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas

Vaccaro is a very versatile player who was matched up against slot receivers a lot in college. He has enough speed to keep up with them and understands both man and zone concepts. A three-down player who has strong closing ability, he is better close to the line of scrimmage than playing deep. Vaccaro has great length (32-plus-inch arms) and tracks the ball well in the air. Although he has a good mix of strength and athleticism, he's not an elite ballhawk (only five career interceptions). However, he takes good angles to the ball and is a strong tackler. Vaccaro should go in the first round.

2. Matt Elam, Florida

Elam's height (5-foot-10) isn't that big of a negative, but he'll struggle matching up against tight ends at the NFL level. A fearless tackler, Elam is great in run support but needs to improve his technique. At times he leaves his feet early to make the big hit instead of being sure to wrap up. An aggressive player, Elam is better in the box than out in space, and he can set the edge against the run. He has good recovery speed, as shown by the 4.54 40-yard dash he posted at the combine. How NFL teams use his skills will be very important in determining his pro development. Whether he can be a three-down player is yet to be determined, but he also can contribute on special teams and is very valuable as a blitzer. He'll probably go in the late first or early second round.

3. John Cyprien, Florida International

This kid is quickly rising up draft boards and has a ton of talent. You worry a bit about the competition he faced at FIU, but he proved his ability by earning an invite to the Senior Bowl and having a terrific week of practice. He clearly belongs among the elite safeties in this class. Cyprien is a solid blitzer, and I really like the way he tackles. He has decent range and is OK in man-to-man coverage, but his athleticism and attitude are why he's rising so quickly. He led safeties with a 38.5-inch vertical jump at the combine and he isn't afraid to do some talking -- which you like from a safety. He definitely has enough speed in the back half, though like several other players in this class, he's better when he's closer to the line of scrimmage. He's got the potential to be one of the steals in this safety class and could potentially be a second-round pick, and maybe even a late-first-round selection.

Though he lacks top-end speed, Tony Jefferson is a good overall NFL safety prospect.

4. Tony Jefferson, Oklahoma

Jefferson is a good but not great all-around prospect. He's a little short (5-11) and has only adequate closing speed. Even though he's not a great tackler, he'll get opponents down. Although he's an aggressive hitter, his ball skills are inconsistent -- especially down the field. On film, he didn't get his head around on several vertical routes thrown over his head. Jefferson is a pretty good athlete and he played against strong competition in the Big 12. He doesn't possess great speed (4.75 40-yard dash at the combine), but he knows how to compensate for it. He is better in the box and can key in on and diagnose the run well. He had problems in college against slot receivers, but can hold up in zone. He's another guy who'll probably go in the second round.

5. Eric Reid, LSU

At 6-1 and 213 pounds, Reid has good instincts and comes out of his backpedal pretty well for a bigger player. Like many of the safeties in this class, he's a marginal man-to-man cover guy, but is fine in zone. Reid is decent in run support, but not a player you want to have to set the edge. Like Elam, he tries too often for the big hit. A terrific athlete, he tested well at the combine (4.53 40-yard dash, 40.5-inch vertical, 134-inch broad jump). However, he had limited production in his junior season, picking off only two passes with zero sacks or forced fumbles. Reid probably will be a Day 2 pick.

Honorable mention

D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina -- Though a shorter safety at 5-10, I like the way Swearinger gets off blocks. He has decent speed and makes plays close to the line of scrimmage, but struggles in coverage. At times, he plays too much with his eyes and can lose view of the quarterback. He's also very inconsistent wrapping up as a tackler. He's probably a Day 2 pick.

Shawn Williams, Georgia -- He keys and diagnoses plays very quickly and really understands leverage and angles. Although Williams doesn't have great body control to adjust and come down with the ball in the air, one thing that stood out on film is his ability to hit. He will separate the ball from the receiver. And he does a nice job of filling his gaps and disengaging from blockers as well. Another likely Day 2 or early Day 3 pick.

Herm Edwards
ESPN Insider

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kyle Long - G - Ducks Oregon

OL Kyle Long is generating "a lot of buzz over the last few weeks," according to NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah.

"I keep hearing his name from personnel buddies," Jeremiah tweeted. Our own Josh Norris ranked Long at No. 50 overall in his latest big board. Although the Oregon product spent a short amount of time at the FBS level, Long flashed natural aggression and athleticism at left tackle and guard.
Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Mar 25 - 11:42 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharrif Floyd - DL - Gators

SI's Chris Burke is not convinced that the Raiders would select DT Sharrif Floyd and pick No. 3 if he was available.

Burke notes that GM Reggie McKenzie does not run a "conventional wisdom" operation, and since Floyd has been mocked to the club so much it seems unlikely to happen at this point. Sheldon Richardson has frequently been mocked to the Panthers, and although it fits, we wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen.
Source: Chris Burke on Twitter

Mar 25 - 11:31 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Manti Te'o - LB - Fighting Irish

Yahoo! Sports' Doug Farrar believes Notre Dame ILB Manti Te'o is "the wrong kind of tweener."

"Not powerful enough to dominate run fits; not fast enough from stance to range vertically at LB depth," Farrar tweeted. He went on to add that Te'o really struggles against power offenses. This was noteworthy against ALabama in the BCS Championship Game and Stanford earlier in the season.
Source: Doug Farrar on Twitter

Mar 25 - 11:19 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Floyd in the mix at No. 1 overall?
March, 25, 2013 10:45AM ET
By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

Since the order for the top end of the NFL Draft was determined after Week 17, it's been speculation time regarding what the Kansas City Chiefs would be doing with the No. 1 overall pick. The conversation has taken some twists and turns, as the Chiefs changed out their GM and coaching staff, traded for Alex Smith, and signed a bevy of veterans (as well as retaining LT Branden Albert and WR Dwayne Bowe). The ongoing consensus, however, has been that one of the LT prospects would be the choice with that top pick.

The Chiefs' supposed interest in QB Geno Smith was seen by some as merely an advertisement that the No. 1 pick was available in trade. But on Monday, word hit the news wire, courtesy of ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, that the club is conducting a private workout with DT Sharrif Floyd, and the interest there is believed to be genuine.

ESPN's Todd McShay ranks Floyd as the No. 2 overall prospect in this year's class, while Mel Kiper Jr. has him No. 1:

Mel Kiper Jr.
Kiper's Big Board

"There's no promise he'll go No. 1, but he belongs in the discussion. Matches exceptional power and leverage with strong hands and enough athleticism to be tough on even good tackles. He's also still not yet 21. Could be great in a 3-4 or a 4-3 scheme. Made major strides as the season progressed, the improvement in part stemming from a positional change and consistently improving technique. Floyd can simply drive linemen into the backfield."

Todd McShay
McShay's Top 32

"Floyd thrived when moved from end to tackle in 2012. He is effective in tight quarters, moves well for his size and improved his ability to use upper-body power to shock blockers. He is able to locate the ball, shed blocks and flow to the ball as quickly as any defensive tackle in this year's class."

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Chiefs would never pick a DL in the first round. Never. That's not how they roll.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify I like Okafor even though ATM he looks more suited to a 4-3. But he has good strength, a good swim move and a good bull rush move. In my opinion his frame could support a bit more weight. He could come in and be an edge rusher and eventually with a little more bulk be the high motor high strength replacement for Justin Smith. He has the leadership abilities and never seems to take a play off and reminds me of a younger Justin Smith.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I never noticed how young Floyd was. He'll be turning 21 in May.

...I still think Hankins is a better player. Granted, Hankins would play a different position than Floyd in a 3-4 (on most downs), but I think Hankins is the better player.

Last edited by a moderator: