• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 10.14 Duck the Fodgers Game 5

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, it is nice when umpires admit that they got a crucial call wrong. The moment felt like a rob but I don't want to blame the loss on that call. That is not where it lies. The call just made it feel worse.
I think calls like this are a complete crapshoot. What are the odds that the 1st base umpire was really paying attention to what Flores did or did not do. In my opinion he was never expecting to make the call. He never expected the home plate umpire to pass the call on to him. He was zoned out. In this case he had a 50-50 chance of getting it right .... he didn't and so the game ended.

The only thing that will fix something like this is a camera review or robo umps.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think calls like this are a complete crapshoot. What are the odds that the 1st base umpire was really paying attention to what Flores did or did not do. In my opinion he was never expecting to make the call. He never expected the home plate umpire to pass the call on to him. He was zoned out. In this case he had a 50-50 chance of getting it right .... he didn't and so the game ended.

The only thing that will fix something like this is a camera review or robo umps.
Robo Umps would not affect check swing calls. Robo umps would only call pitch location ball/strike.

And until they make a firm definition of what a swing is, they can’t make it reviewable.

This has always been a hole in the MLB rule book. Hopefully this is a high enough profile fuck up that they finally address it.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure....and for lack of a better analogy..it was the perfect storm....but it didn't have to be.
Ftr...I still hate how it suddenly and anti-climatically ended though.

That said...MLB needs to do better to cleanup their umpire ranks, tweak the postseason seeding format, and improve play review protocol for situations like that.
And that is why MLB should pay attention to this situation. Regardless of whether it killed a team's chance in the postseason, it has the bad optics that an umpire's bad call very well finished off a team. That is the very thing that, you would think, would get the commissioner's office's attention.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I can't see how the 88 win Braves pull it off. That pitching staff LA has is the best I can remember going back decades. Even better than 2010 us.

Braves win Game 1! I would guess their chances are somewhere close to 50% at the moment. I felt it was somewhere around 33% going into Game 1.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braves win Game 1! I would guess their chances are somewhere close to 50% at the moment. I felt it was somewhere around 33% going into Game 1.
Oh I never gave them more than a 10% chance before, now maybe it's 20%. The talent differential, over a longer series, I just can't see it.

Rooting for it though for many reasons, Beat LA, underdog, longest title drought by far of the final 4 etc

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I never gave them more than a 10% chance before, now maybe it's 20%. The talent differential, over a longer series, I just can't see it.

Rooting for it though for many reasons, Beat LA, underdog, longest title drought by far of the final 4 etc

LOL, I think you're way underestimating them. Gotta be at least 40% now that they're up a game. Fried and Morton are absolutely legit. Hopefully, one of their other pitchers will step up. Ynoa is a young guy with impressive stuff. He might be the Game 4 starter.

Offense seems to be hard to come by for any NL team in the postseason, so hopefully Freeman, Albies, and Riley will deliver the big timely hits. They're capable.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible that this could be a trap series for the doggies? Kinda hard to get the juices flowing for the Braves after that series with us…

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One can only hope.

I read that Scherzer was pulled early today because his arm was dead. Maybe closing Game 5 was a factor. Roberts also used Urias today even though he pitched three days ago and is slated to start three days from now. Dodgers pitching staff looking a little beat up and vulnerable right now. That the Giants apparently played some part in putting the Dodgers in their current predicament is some consolation for me as a Giants fan. Hopefully, the Braves can finish the deal.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Scherzer was pulled early today because his arm was dead. Maybe closing Game 5 was a factor. Roberts also used Urias today even though he pitched three days ago and is slated to start three days from now. Dodgers pitching staff looking a little beat up and vulnerable right now. That the Giants apparently played some part in putting the Dodgers in their current predicament is some consolation for me as a Giants fan. Hopefully, the Braves can finish the deal.
If the Braves win this series, I can call this season a success.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an idiot and the worst manager in the MLB.

Looking really tough for Dusty now. The McCullers injury hurts, but they need at least one pitcher to step up. If only the Astros had our pitching and we had the Astros' hitting. That would be a pretty great team.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Buehler out after 3.2 innings. Braves up 4-2, bases still loaded. Looks like the Giants really did wear out the Dodgers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buehler out after 3.2 innings. Braves up 4-2, bases still loaded. Looks like the Giants really did wear out the Dodgers.
Sucks that we won’t be the team to benefit from the beat down, but like I said elsewhere, I can appreciate a 107 win season and a Division Title as long as the doggies don’t get a banner to hang (except Wild Card Champions, of course).

Last edited:

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were 3-3 vs ATL this season... I don't know that we'd have gotten by them either.

LA was 4-2.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking really tough for Dusty now. The McCullers injury hurts, but they need at least one pitcher to step up. If only the Astros had our pitching and we had the Astros' hitting. That would be a pretty great team.

And Kap instead of Dusty...

...cos he sucks and all...