• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SPRING TRAINING ... the thread

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Bruce is going to be traded. The Orioles got Pedro Alvaez. Not sure they would want two guys with 100 strikeouts

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes john. the oak and mistletoe. i hadn't considered that particular olden touch of voodoo. yes. yes. the new HGH is O & M. yeah, we're going to have to keep our collective senses of humor this season, and try to find pearls in the ocean with no memory.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beauty of this season will be that we are not burdened with angst. We get to be baseball fans.
There is joy in the pleasure of participation. Now you all realize why I enjoy watching the indy leagues.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Bruce is going to be traded. The Orioles got Pedro Alvaez. Not sure they would want two guys with 100 strikeouts

I am sensing that the Reds are going to retreat to the Castellinis. Ol' Bob likes him some Bruce.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skippy Schumaker has called it a career. We got the most out of him that we could. We hardly knew ye, Skippy-Dippy.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may have hardly known him, but we knew all we needed to know.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Juan Duran keeps getting AB's despite testing positive for PED's and a 80 game suspension to start the season. The only thing the guy gained from PED's is now he swings and misses harder. He has struck out 8 of 12 AB's this spring.

Seth Mejias-Brean had a two run single in the 9th inning today to give the Reds the lead. He was the Reds minor league POY a couple years ago, but his career has stalled a bit since reaching AA in 2014. That sounds familiar.

A guy you don't hear anyone giving a chance of making the OD roster that is starting to get noticed is Tyler Holt. Described as a high energy guy that can play all three OF positions. If Billy Hamilton isn't ready by OD he might be a surprise addition.

The Reds should be making their first cut soon, that'll bring more clarity to who they're serious about keeping.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at this list, it would seem that the Reds have the horsepower to put together a contending operation in a year or so. That's what the list appears to show me.

PROSPECTS

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now Lorenzen has a sore elbow.
Igelsias has a sore shoulder
Lamb has a sore back.
Homer has a sore forearm.
Sampson has a sore shoulder.
Anybody else have a sore ass?

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i do. but, i find that a couple wipes of witch hazel does the trick too ease the discomfort.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, do Contreras and Mattheus both make this team? I think a "rebuild" should also include a "purge."

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marty B pointing out that Hamilton has had 2 at-bats this spring.
Peraza will play CF next week. It's worth watching.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well let Peraza play and see what he can do. There is no rush for Hamilton to be out there. I have noticed that the loses are starting to pile up now with teams playing they're regulars more.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What appears to be the first indication that this coaching staff will be challenged is that there appears to be concern about the pitchers who were essentially penciled in to be the rotation. Almost none of them is ready to pitch 4 innings or, in some cases, take the ball in the first place.
The bullpen seems to be very sporadic and I don't know what relief pitchers are supposed to be working on in camp. Most only expect to throw 20 or 30 pitches in a game anyhow, and hold runners on base. Contreras ain't fooling the guys who wear No. 87. I doubt the league will have any trouble with him either.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Among pitching hopefuls other than Iglasias, who IMO, was more "developed" in the DR, than in the Reds farm, I like Reed's stuff best (who was developed in KC's farm). The Reds best "homegrown" arms seem to need GPS to find the plate. He's also a lefty. I think Finnegan (also a lefty) can help, but is more a marginal SP/LR guy...a spot the Reds seem to believe Cingrani can fill...I agree, if the goal is to win 66 games. I still believe Cingrani's best pitch is a fastball-unfortunately, too high to be a strike.

I like the idea of Peraza- if he's what he's projected to be- a higher contact type than the Reds are accustomed tos- a speed and D player, but don't see where he can get 400 + AB's unless he's at AAA or either Phillips, Cozart or Hamilton are on the DL. I believe DeJesus is a lock to make this expansion talent level roster, but would rather see Peraza in the role- because DeJesus is a defensive hack- a guy that can frequently look bad at 5 positions, and the circumstantial evidence tells me he can't hit- he's a 10 year minor leaguer even though his father was a MLB player- doesn't happen often to, uh... sons of former MLB'ers...that can actually hit.

Reds have lots of young OF tryouts in camp, but alas, something wrong with all of them- a "Reds way" trait if there is one-those that look like hitters, couldn't catch the clap in Newport. The gloves all make B game pitchers look like Nolan Ryan.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone here besides me. believe that the Reds could have gotten more out of Chapman in a trade, if they would have held on to him until after the A.S. break. And maybe traded him then. He could have gotten his suspension out of the way, and the Reds could have gotten better talent for him. From a team that he could have made a difference with.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think AC should have been traded last summer when teams needed an arm to make the postseason.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, I believe that the Reds just gave him to the Yankees.

Watching a lot of these spring training games on MLN. and seeing some really good prospects. It makes me a little sick thinking the Reds could have done better for Chapman if they would have been more patient.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of expected this. Too many young pitchers trying to make too much of an impact too soon from a coaching staff that is overly anxious to prove that the youth movement can happen more quickly than it should. We had to figure that no matter who is on a pitching staff, the odds of the elbow or shoulder getting hurt are pretty good.

Kinda makes it easier to understand why Price wants guys like Jason Marquis.

Reds' Michael Lorenzen: Will undergo MRI on elbow

Further details regarding Lorenzen's status will be available after the results of his MRI come back, but it appears he may be dealing with more than just a sore elbow. His availability for Opening Day is certainly in question as things stand.

Reds' John Lamb: Recently had a setback

The Cincinnati Reds don't think Lamb's return will be delayed very much. "He's trying to build up some glute strength, the hamstring, some lower back," manager Bryan Price said. "But he's still throwing. I don't see him not being ready to pitch by late April." That optimism aside, if Lamb's already having some setbacks, it's possible he'll have more when he increases his effort level.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John raises a good point on the injury dilemma. With as many young arms as the Reds are depending on, the pitfalls are well documented.

The last survey I saw said 25% of MLB pitchers have had TJ surgery at some point. It also stated that 16% of minor league pitchers have had TJ. Increase those percentages by the number of pitchers that suffer shoulder, and other assorted injuries and a organizations depth chart can thin quickly. Injuries aside, the attrition rate among pitchers drafted that become MLB quality performers is equally as daunting.

The intention of the Marquis signing last year is easy enough understood given the circumstances, but doesn't excuse the poor planning that led to the club putting itself in that position.

The Reds are using "rebuilding" as a excuse. A farm system is no different than any other need and supply scenario. Once you draw from your reserves to replenish a spent commodity, you in turn have to replenish the reserve. Long term success is dependent on this basic principle and as a result successful teams are constantly rebuilding.

On paper the Reds look deep in pitching prospects, but the reality is they better keep replenishing or history will repeat.