• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my count, there are still 7 catchers in big league camp, not including Sabol. That just does not sound right. Besides Bart, Perez and Wynn, there are still Patrick Bailey, Max Wright, Brett Auerbach and Robert Emery.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my count, there are still 7 catchers in big league camp, not including Sabol. That just does not sound right. Besides Bart, Perez and Wynn, there are still Patrick Bailey, Max Wright, Brett Auerbach and Robert Emery.
I think they always have a shit-ton of catchers in camp. Makes sense, logistically.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they always have a shit-ton of catchers in camp. Makes sense, logistically.
Yes, usually at the beginning but it seems like they thin out by now. At least, my recollection is that a few of the catchers are gone in the 1st couple of rounds (which there were 2 that got cut early) and they are usually down to about 4, maybe 5, by now. I guess that they feel having more this long would be good.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, usually at the beginning but it seems like they thin out by now. At least, my recollection is that a few of the catchers are gone in the 1st couple of rounds (which there were 2 that got cut early) and they are usually down to about 4, maybe 5, by now. I guess that they feel having more this long would be good.
Just a WAG, but if they feel they are somewhat weak at the position, from an organizational standpoint, they may just be keeping the kids around so they can take an in depth inventory. They can get an idea of who is just org depth, who has a chance to help if needed, who is a legit prospect, who can become a coach in their next step…

Reactions: LHG

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who can become a coach in their next step…
1177327055.jpg.0.jpg

Approves.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome…

Romo signed a minor league deal with an NRI. He will pitch in the Bay Bridge series so he AT LEAST gets his good bye, but it sounds like he may accept an assignment to Sacto.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome…

Romo signed a minor league deal with an NRI. He will pitch in the Bay Bridge series so he AT LEAST gets his good bye, but it sounds like he may accept an assignment to Sacto.
Just got my tickets for 3.27 -- Monday night vs. the A'ss.

CANNOT WAIT.

El Machon as he takes the mound. Gonna lose my mind.

I heart baseball.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster projection 2.0

LOCKS

SP: Webb/Cobb/Manaea/Strip/Wood
RP: Doval/TyRog/TaRog/Brebbia/Alexander/Junis
C: Bart
IF: Tyro/Flowers/Davis/LWJ/VR
OF: Yaz/Forto/Hebrew

LIKELY

C - Perez
SP/LR - Disco(IL)/Hjelle
IF - Wise/Craw
OF - Sabol/Meetch(IL)/Slater

It's possible if Craw is fairly healthy that Wise goes down and Pisco gets added instead of Slater. But, we have LWJ who can play the corner OF too. Plenty of coverage at 1b with Davis/VR/Flowers. They won't need a 13th pitcher until after the opening road trip, which is when one of the position players (Wise, Sabol, e.g.) gets bounced.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster projection 2.0

LOCKS

SP: Webb/Cobb/Manaea/Strip/Wood
RP: Doval/TyRog/TaRog/Brebbia/Alexander/Junis
C: Bart
IF: Tyro/Flowers/Davis/LWJ/VR
OF: Yaz/Forto/Hebrew

LIKELY

C - Perez
SP/LR - Disco(IL)/Hjelle
IF - Wise/Craw
OF - Sabol/Meetch(IL)/Slater

It's possible if Craw is fairly healthy that Wise goes down and Pisco gets added instead of Slater. But, we have LWJ who can play the corner OF too. Plenty of coverage at 1b with Davis/VR/Flowers. They won't need a 13th pitcher until after the opening road trip, which is when one of the position players (Wise, Sabol, e.g.) gets bounced.
Why are you expecting DeSclafani to start on the IL? I thought he was healthy enough to go and Cobb was a bit questionable, depending how his ankle does after that hit he took a few days ago.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Matos optioned, the two youngest players in camp are Patrick Bailey and Jimmy Glowenke (both 23).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And neither with a snowballs chance of making the team.
Right now, the two youngest with a decent shot of making the team are Brett Wisely (24) and Blake Sabol (25). I'm not including Waites since it seems rather likely he starts the season on the IL.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Villar, Logan Webb and Joey Bart (all 26) are the youngest players who are practically guaranteed roster spots. The only other players under 30 that fit in this category are Estrada (27), Davis and Wade (both 29).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you expecting DeSclafani to start on the IL? I thought he was healthy enough to go and Cobb was a bit questionable, depending how his ankle does after that hit he took a few days ago.
Just a gut feeling based on how they've been used so far. This is because Wood was scheduled to make his third start on Wednesday, but DeSclafani has made just two. It’s been an impressive return, to be sure, but it wouldn’t be a complete shock to see him receive an extra 10 days to get back into regular season shape, especially with two off-days in the opening road trip of the season. There shouldn’t be much of a call for a sixth-starter-slash-super-long-reliever there.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 50 players not yet optioned or reassigned, 45 of them have appeared in games. Here are the 5 yet to make an appearance:
Sergio Romo - we all know what is going on here and will see him in the Bay Bridge Series.
Luis Gonzalez - He may be lucky to play in 2023
Luke Jackson - hopefully he is ready to go by June
Cole Waites - the latest news is that he could make an appearance before the end of spring training and possibly make the OP roster
Miguel Yajure - this one is the most mysterious of the group. No word on what is going on with him but he's supposed to be in big league camp.

Additionally, there are the following guys in camp, who've played in games, who are currently sitting out due to injury but who have not been placed on the IL, optioned or reassigned:
Ronald Guzman - He may not begin playing until June
Thomas Szapucki - The situation is starting to sound serious. Kapler indicated that the team doesn't know what is wrong yet and are taking their time to figure out the problem
David Villar - No updates yet. Still day-to-day.
Mitch Haniger - Seems likely he is destined to start the season on the IL. Kapler mentioned, today, that he will sit at least another week.
Brandon Crawford - The knee issue may plague him throughout the season. Its just a matter of whether it is manageable enough to play on OP.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Avila was drafted by the White Sox as a R5 pick in December. He has a 9 ERA through 8 innings this spring and would have to be offered back to the Giants if he does not make the team. Avila had a 1.14 ERA in 47 appearances in 2022. Giants and White Sox could work out a trade as well.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Slater won't be ready for Opening Day
Things are a little bit more murky for Crawford and Haniger. Crawford may play in games as early as tomorrow but Haniger has just ramped up his baseball activities.

I think who replaces Slater on the roster is entirely dependent on what is going on with Crawford and Haniger. Here are my thinking on possible scenarios . . .

If both Crawford and Haniger are healthy - Then it will come down to either Piscotty or Johnson getting the 26th spot. Neither are on the 40 man roster yet so there is no advantage one way or the other. It really comes down to if the Giants want to "veteran presence" or speed. Johnson may have the advantage in the fact that he can be optioned. Piscotty can refuse any assignments.

If Haniger is healthy but Crawford is questionable (but still on the active roster) - I think Brett Wisely gets the call. He's already on the 40 man roster and he's played both outfield and infield in spring training. He gives the infield some depth in case Crawford cannot play that day but also provides some outfield depth.

If Crawford is healthy but Haniger is questionable - In this case, I think Piscotty gets the edge. With Yaz struggling in spring, Wade at 1st base and Slater on the IL, I think the Giants will want a more "proven" bat (even if that proof is about 3 years old and expiring).

Of course, it is entirely possible that Haniger also starts the season on the IL. Then, I think it is one of Johnson/Piscotty and Wisely. The only way I see both Johnson and Piscotty making the team is if all of Slater/Haniger/Crawford are on the IL or if they have no concerns about Crawford playing regularly.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opening Day Roster 3.0

C -- Bart, Perez, Sabol
1B - LWJ
2B - Tyro
SS - Craw