• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left knee discomfort will knock Brandon Crawford out of action for a week, per Giants.

In addition, David Villar has a mild hip flexor strain, while Thomas Szapucki (arm) and Luis González (back) are seeing second opinions today. Ronald Guzmán (forearm) is getting an MRI.
Just saw those updates. Guzman wasn't going to make the team, so nothing bad on that front (frankly, I was surprised that the Giants were considering him for AAA as a two way player. Seems a bit risky from the pitching side). Hopefully, Crawford and Villar are mild and are ready for Opening Day. I think the Giants could get away, though, with Villar on the IL to start the season. Crawford would be a bit more painful for the team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KNBR was floating that Schmidt could be an option if Craw or VR can’t go day 1. It wasn’t a news break or anything, just them talking. I have a hard time thinking they will add Schmidt on day 1. He is too much of an asset to start right away. And he would cost a 40 spot just for the option. I think if Craw/VR aren’t ready, Diaz gets the call. He is already on the 40 and has had a good spring.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KNBR was floating that Schmidt could be an option if Craw or VR can’t go day 1. It wasn’t a news break or anything, just them talking. I have a hard time thinking they will add Schmidt on day 1. He is too much of an asset to start right away. And he would cost a 40 spot just for the option. I think if Craw/VR aren’t ready, Diaz gets the call. He is already on the 40 and has had a good spring.
Agree completely. I think Diaz is close to making the squad. We are dangerously thin at SS, for all our depth.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree completely. I think Diaz is close to making the squad. We are dangerously thin at SS, for all our depth.
And Donovan Walton, the main guy at AAA as depth for shortstop, won't be available until mid May. This is what happens when the team loads up on 2nd base/3rd basemen.
Another alternative to Schmitt/Diaz would be Brett Wisely. He seems athletic enough to handle shortstop and has impressed in camp. It could come down to him and Diaz if Crawford isn't ready to go on OP.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, looks like Luis Gonzalez will be out for a bit.

Ouch.

Well, he is an easy 60-add at this point. That opens a 40 slot for Schmitt or Johnson or …

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch.

Well, he is an easy 60-add at this point. That opens a 40 slot for Schmitt or Johnson or …
He and Jackson could be easily be 60 day IL adds. I think that Perez will likely be one add to the 40, I assume that Piscotty has the advantage for the 2nd 40 add (assuming Haniger isn't ready to go).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and Jackson could be easily be 60 day IL adds. I think that Perez will likely be one add to the 40, I assume that Piscotty has the advantage for the 2nd 40 add (assuming Haniger isn't ready to go).
Maybe Piscotty has the edge at this point. But I am not sold on that. And with the new SB rules, Johnson could be a real asset. As well as his defense, obviously (especially with the questions surrounding Slater).

But yes, Perez is a no-brainer add for one of those freed up 40 slots. I think the other goes to Johnson, Piscotty or Schmitt (distant 3rd option).

Asset protection would dictate that you are right about Piscotty, though. He is not an organizational asset, so risking him with the first “mistake add” makes the most sense.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With only two healthy OF on the 26 man (Yaz, Forto) I'd expect Pisco to make the team. Anything but more Hebrew in the OF.

(unless it's Schwantz)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those keeping score at home, we have optioned 5 players so far in camp:
-Randy Rodriguez
-Heliot Ramos
-Marco Luciano
-Jose Cruz
-Sam Long

This gives us 35 players on the 40-man roster in camp. We could begin the year with potentially 3-5 players on the IL, leaving about 5 players remaining on the 40-man roster vying for maybe one roster spot. This is all to say that the roster is relatively set, but injures could change that. And with the news of the Luis González surgery as well as Luke Jackson continuing to recover from TJ surgery, we should be able to open up 2 spots on the 40-man roster by moving them to the 60-day.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With only two healthy OF on the 26 man (Yaz, Forto) I'd expect Pisco to make the team. Anything but more Hebrew in the OF.

(unless it's Schwantz)
I do expect Wade to make some appearances and Sabol is still more of an outfielder than a catcher at this point.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those keeping score at home, we have optioned 5 players so far in camp:
-Randy Rodriguez
-Heliot Ramos
-Marco Luciano
-Jose Cruz
-Sam Long

This gives us 35 players on the 40-man roster in camp. We could begin the year with potentially 3-5 players on the IL, leaving about 5 players remaining on the 40-man roster vying for maybe one roster spot. This is all to say that the roster is relatively set, but injures could change that. And with the news of the Luis González surgery as well as Luke Jackson continuing to recover from TJ surgery, we should be able to open up 2 spots on the 40-man roster by moving them to the 60-day.
With Crawford, Slater, Haniger and Villar at different levels of questionable, the team may need to add a 3rd guy to the 40 man roster. I think it really depends on how many start the season on the IL. However, even if all 4 are on the IL, Piscotty still may be the only guy added. Really depends on how much the Giants feel they need Johnson in the outfield.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do expect Wade to make some appearances and Sabol is still more of an outfielder than a catcher at this point.
I can see VR starting the season at 3B, but getting pushed to 1st by Schmitt, maybe sooner rather than later, which would then push Wade back into the OF mix (maybe off the team entirely).

But there is also the possibility that Schmitt becomes the SS of the future instead of the 3B of the future, which would leave VR at 3B. But JD is still around and probably deserves more respect at 1B/3B than he has gotten to date.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see VR starting the season at 3B, but getting pushed to 1st by Schmitt, maybe sooner rather than later, which would then push Wade back into the OF mix (maybe off the team entirely).

But there is also the possibility that Schmitt becomes the SS of the future instead of the 3B of the future, which would leave VR at 3B. But JD is still around and probably deserves more respect at 1B/3B than he has gotten to date.
I don't get the love for Wade at 1st base. He didn't look good at the plate last year, he doesn't look good in spring training and he was a platoon player when he did hit a couple years ago. Davis should be the starter over Wade. Does Wade's glove make up that much ground on Davis?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the love for Wade at 1st base. He didn't look good at the plate last year, he doesn't look good in spring training and he was a platoon player when he did hit a couple years ago. Davis should be the starter over Wade. Does Wade's glove make up that much ground on Davis?
I agree. Iirc, Wade did not blow anyone away with his 1B glove in ‘21, so I don’t really understand the love affair. That said, I don’t have a strong opinion on the subject, so I am willing to bow to the org who SHOULD have a better grasp on his abilities.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Iirc, Wade did not blow anyone away with his 1B glove in ‘21, so I don’t really understand the love affair. That said, I don’t have a strong opinion on the subject, so I am willing to bow to the org who SHOULD have a better grasp on his abilities.
Just seems weird that he is the starter and Davis is a backup when Davis seems to be the better hitter.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seems weird that he is the starter and Davis is a backup when Davis seems to be the better hitter.
We haven’t seen him enough to have a real feel for his glove. Maybe is DH-level with his glove?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guzman estimates he will miss 6-8 weeks. He says he won’t throw for four weeks.