• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are close enough to the day pitchers and catchers report that I thought I'd start this thread. Multiple reports about invitees is coming out but I thought I'd lead this thread with the following article about a previously announced signing.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is the NRI list. It is long.
Pitchers (17) - Melvin Adon, Raymond Burgos, RJ Dabovich, Sam Delaplane, Nick Duron, Jorge Guzman, Kyle Harrison, Mauricio Llovera, Kade McClure, Erik Miller, Sean Newcomb, Ljay Newsome, Darien Nunez, Joe Ross, Drew Strotman, Daniel Tillo, Miguel Yajure
Catchers (6) - Brett Auerbach, Patrick Bailey, Brett Cumberland, Ricardo Genoves, Roberto Perez, Austin Wynns
Infielders (9) - Armando Alvarez, Tyler Fitzgerald, Ronald Guzman, Ford Proctor, Casey Schmitt, Donovan Walton, Colton Welker, Brady Whalen, Will Wilson
Outfielders (4) - Vaun Brown, Clint Coulter, Bryce Johnson, Stephen Piscotty

There are so many guys on this list, I'm surprised that Tanner Andrews, Trevor Hildenberger, Joey Marciano, Blake Rivera, Michael Stryffeler and Ryan Walker were not invited. They are the only guys not on this list that have a shot at making the RiverCats' roster (or maybe they don't because they were not invited).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is the NRI list. It is long.
Pitchers (17) - Melvin Adon, Raymond Burgos, RJ Dabovich, Sam Delaplane, Nick Duron, Jorge Guzman, Kyle Harrison, Mauricio Llovera, Kade McClure, Erik Miller, Sean Newcomb, Ljay Newsome, Darien Nunez, Joe Ross, Drew Strotman, Daniel Tillo, Miguel Yajure
Catchers (6) - Brett Auerbach, Patrick Bailey, Brett Cumberland, Ricardo Genoves, Roberto Perez, Austin Wynns
Infielders (9) -
Armando Alvarez, Tyler Fitzgerald, Ronald Guzman, Ford Proctor, Casey Schmitt, Donovan Walton, Colton Welker, Brady Whalen, Will Wilson
Outfielders (4) - Vaun Brown, Clint Coulter, Bryce Johnson, Stephen Piscotty

There are so many guys on this list, I'm surprised that Tanner Andrews, Trevor Hildenberger, Joey Marciano, Blake Rivera, Michael Stryffeler and Ryan Walker were not invited. They are the only guys not on this list that have a shot at making the RiverCats' roster (or maybe they don't because they were not invited).
Highlighted the names I am interested in (some have a shot, some are just prospects that could contribute within the next year or so)

I am very interested in Joe Ross as well, but he won’t be avail until the ASB or so, I think, so no point in paying attention to him at this early date.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highlighted the names I am interested in (some have a shot, some are just prospects that could contribute within the next year or so)

I am very interested in Joe Ross as well, but he won’t be avail until the ASB or so, I think, so no point in paying attention to him at this early date.
I'm curious about your interest in Delaplane. Is that due to the fact the Giants keep adding and subtracting him from the 40 man roster?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One unheralded NRI from the Giants list that could make a little noise is 1B/3B Colton Welker. He has missed a lot of time in recent seasons (PED suspension, injury), but he was considered a top prospect at one point.

He has slashed .298/.392/.488 in 143 plate appearances in AAA and he's not necessarily old (25). Not sure what position he'd play, but for lack of a better term, he is very hitterish at the plate. Very fluid swing.

There is a little bit of Donovan Solano in his swing. Welker just needs to stay on the field. He only has collected 224 plate appearances since the start of 2020.

MLB Pipeline, 2019: "Multiple Rockies officials have noted that Welker reminds them of a young Arenado because they have similar builds and put up similar numbers in their first two years of pro ball."

I'm in.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious about your interest in Delaplane. Is that due to the fact the Giants keep adding and subtracting him from the 40 man roster?
That’s exactly it. They seem to have invested so much time, admistrationally, that I am curious as to why.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One unheralded NRI from the Giants list that could make a little noise is 1B/3B Colton Welker. He has missed a lot of time in recent seasons (PED suspension, injury), but he was considered a top prospect at one point.

He has slashed .298/.392/.488 in 143 plate appearances in AAA and he's not necessarily old (25). Not sure what position he'd play, but for lack of a better term, he is very hitterish at the plate. Very fluid swing.

There is a little bit of Donovan Solano in his swing. Welker just needs to stay on the field. He only has collected 224 plate appearances since the start of 2020.

MLB Pipeline, 2019: "Multiple Rockies officials have noted that Welker reminds them of a young Arenado because they have similar builds and put up similar numbers in their first two years of pro ball."

I'm in.
Imho, more than half of Arenado’s value comes from his glove. So comparing player X to him based on the bat is kinda missing the mark.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imho, more than half of Arenado’s value comes from his glove. So comparing player X to him based on the bat is kinda missing the mark.
True, but Arenado's bat is still awfully good in its own right.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm in.
I'm intrigued by Armando Alvarez. And partially because he plays the same position as Casey Schmitt. The Giants have a lot of primarily infielders who would be possibly slotted for AAA. They include:
Armando Alvarez, 3rd
Isan Diaz, 2nd
Tyler Fitzgerald, ss
Ronald Guzman, 1st
Ford Proctor, 3rd (yes, I know, he is also a catcher but that is far from his primary position)
Casey Schmitt, 3rd
Donovan Walton, ss
Colton Welker, 3rd
Will Wilson, ss
Brett Wisely, 2nd

Obivously, not all are going to play there, at least not to start the season. Yet all belong there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he proved that when he went to St Louis and still put up some numbers.
Arenado belongs in the discussion for best 3B ever. He may not actually win that discussion, but he belongs at the table. And his showing in St Louis cemented that, as you said.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just looked as MJS’s numbers as a refresher…

Ignore my last post. There IS no discussion about the best 3B ever. There is a discussion, however, about the second best 3B ever, and Arenado is solidly in THAT discussion.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ignore my last post. There IS no discussion about the best 3B ever. There is a discussion, however, about the second best 3B ever, and Arenado is solidly in THAT discussion.
Who would you currently rank as 2nd best? I'd go with either Eddie Mathews or Adrian Beltre right now. Wade Boggs, George Brett and Chipper Jones deserve strong consideration as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you currently rank as 2nd best? I'd go with either Eddie Mathews or Adrian Beltre right now. Wade Boggs, George Brett and Chipper Jones deserve strong consideration as well.
All great names.

ARod? Robinson and/or Rolen because of their gloves?

Without doing any kind of exhaustive search, the first names that jumped out at me were Brett and Jones. But you mentioned great ones as well.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No doubt about MJS. I had forgotten what a solid defensive player he was.

Arenado is certainly a candidate for #2, along with Brooks. We'll see how NA finishes up his career. He doesn't have that eye-popping showcase yet like BR had in the 1970 WS. And nobody's glove was better than BR at 3B.

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All great names.

ARod? Robinson and/or Rolen because of their gloves?

Without doing any kind of exhaustive search, the first names that jumped out at me were Brett and Jones. But you mentioned great ones as well.
ARod played a lot of games at shortstop (1272 games versus 1194 at 3rd) so I don't consider him for this purpose. Even with Robinson and Rolen's gloves, I don't think either did enough to be considered 2nd best. Top 5? Definitely possibilities. I would loosely put this list as the Top 5 3rd basemen of all time:
1. Mike Schmidt
2. Eddie Mathews
3. Adrian Beltre
4. George Brett
5. Chipper Jones
But Boggs, Robinson and Rolen could all be interchangeable at the 4/5 spots.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about MJS. I had forgotten what a solid defensive player he was.

Arenado is certainly a candidate for #2, along with Brooks. We'll see how NA finishes up his career. He doesn't have that eye-popping moment yet like BR had in the 1970 WS. And nobody's glove was better than BR at 3B.
I never saw him play. But his reputation is beyond words. But I did see Rolen, Beltre and Arenado play. And it is hard to imagine anything better than they offered.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ARod played a lot of games at shortstop (1272 games versus 1194 at 3rd) so I don't consider him for this purpose. Even with Robinson and Rolen's gloves, I don't think either did enough to be considered 2nd best. Top 5? Definitely possibilities. I would loosely put this list as the Top 5 3rd basemen of all time:
1. Mike Schmidt
2. Eddie Mathews
3. Adrian Beltre
4. George Brett
5. Chipper Jones
But Boggs, Robinson and Rolen could all be interchangeable at the 4/5 spots.
Sans Arenado, or is Arenado eligible for this list, just not good enough?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw him play. But his reputation is beyond words. But I did see Rolen, Beltre and Arenado play. And it is hard to imagine anything better than they offered.
It's not a career, but this is a nice compilation of his 1970 WS:

Reactions: LHG

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sans Arenado, or is Arenado eligible for this list, just not good enough?
Not yet. He needs a few more good years to get to that Top 5. He'd still need to get past Ron Santo, Graig Nettles, Buddy Bell and maybe Home Run Baker, Ken Boyer, Sal Bando and Darrell Evans to make the conversation. I think he is two good seasons (like his 2014 or 2021 seasons) from surpassing the Baker/Boyer/Bando/Evans group and three good seasons from surpassing Santo/Nettles/Bell. Two really good seasons (like his 2019 or 2022 seasons) would definitely push him into Top 5 consideration.