• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is tz’s most recent opening day prediction…

C -- Bart, Perez
chance: Wynns, Sabol
IF -- Craw, Flowers, Tyro, JD, VR, LWJ
chance: Diaz
OF -- Hebrew, Yaz, Slate, Meetch, Forto
chance: LuGon, Ramos
SP -- Webb, Cobb, Manea, Stripling, Disco/Wood
RP -- Doval, Trog1, Trog2, Brebbia, Alexander, JJ, Disco/Wood
chance: Waites, Hjelle, Long, Szap, Dabovich

While this isn’t mine exactly, it is very close. However, it only has 25 instead of 26.

I still think Sabol has a strong inside track to a roster spot. But I also think Perez is a lock as the primary BU catcher (which will require both a 40 AND 26 spot). Jackson is an easy 60-add, so the 40 slot should not be a problem.

Szapucki needs to make the roster or be put on the IL or he will be exposed to waivers. He has no options left. While I don’t think losing him would be a huge loss to the org, I do see him as an asset. I think he offers good depth for this year, and could develop into a decent 7th inning arm or #4/#5 SP in seasons to come. I would like to keep him, if possible.

at this time, assuming perfect health, I would add Sabol to this roster and place Jackson on the 60 to open a 40 for Perez. If Szapucki is hurt, then Waites is probably first man up In the bully. If Slater is hurt, I think Diaz probably gets the nod.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those of you keeping score at home, the Giants decision to option Heliot Ramos brings the number of players on the 40-man roster in camp to 38.

Ramos and Randy Rodriguez have been optioned so far. Players like Luis González and Luke Jackson are on the 40-man roster but will likely (in the case of González) begin the year on the injured list, so the actual number of 40-man players competing to make the Opening Day roster is less than 38 right now

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meetch shut down 5-7 days with a left oblique strain....

no bueno.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you’re wondering, Sabol will make the team. That was likely going to be the case so long as he didn’t struggle badly. The trick will be sticking as a R5 pick.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meetch shut down 5-7 days with a left oblique strain....

no bueno.
This team is so cursed. Who would figure that if you have a team philosophyof finding industry value in signing players with injury histories, you might actually end up getting hit by the injury bug. No way to foresee that.

Of all the dumb luck…

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is so cursed. Who would figure that if you have a team philosophyof finding industry value in signing players with injury histories, you might actually end up getting hit by the injury bug. No way to foresee that.

Of all the dumb luck…
Well, to be fair, they don't expect everyone to stay healthy all year. They plan, on balance, to get some healthy seasons from FA and not from others. Poop occurs. We have depth, and should be fine.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of all the dumb luck…
Don't worry, we have Stephen Piscotty

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, to be fair, they don't expect everyone to stay healthy all year. They plan, on balance, to get some healthy seasons from FA and not from others. Poop occurs. We have depth, and should be fine.
OK, who are you, and what have you done with tzill?

Or have you subcontracted your posting to ChatGPT?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of all the dumb luck…
At this point, what player DOESN'T have some injury history?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, who are you, and what have you done with tzill?

Or have you subcontracted your posting to ChatGPT?
tzill is fine when it comes to roster outlook, its the individual games where he becomes Mr. Hyde.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, what player DOESN'T have some injury history?
Not the same as a player coming off an entire missed season and a player who has already had 2 seasons of playing only 1/3 of the season (not counting his cuppo season or ‘20 which he missed, but that is an outlier season).

There is a difference between a player missing a few (30-40?) games per season due to fatigue or random stubbed toes and a player who misses 2/3 of a season in half his seasons.

I understand the strategy of looking for value in injured players. I really do. I just also see that that can be a dangerous game of Russian Roulette.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming we carry 12 pitchers with Szapucki/Jackson/Waites beginning on the IL, this is what I would expect on Opening Day:
Starters (5) - Webb, Cobb, Stripling, Manaea, DeSclafani
Relievers (12) - Wood, Junis, Rogers, Rogers, Doval, Brebbia and Alexander

Manaea, Wood, and DeSclafani are all pretty fungible at the moment in that any of the 3 could start the year in the bullpen when you factor in that they may not even need a 5th starter until 4/9.

Carrying 12 pitchers to start the year would, in theory, allow them to carry a 3rd catcher. Or, maybe 1 of Sean Hjelle/Keaton Winn forces their way onto the roster.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming we carry 12 pitchers with Szapucki/Jackson/Waites beginning on the IL, this is what I would expect on Opening Day:

Manaea, Wood, and DeSclafani are all pretty fungible at the moment in that any of the 3 could start the year in the bullpen when you factor in that they may not even need a 5th starter until 4/9.

Carrying 12 pitchers to start the year would, in theory, allow them to carry a 3rd catcher. Or, maybe 1 of Sean Hjelle/Keaton Winn forces their way onto the roster.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward the idea that they'll carry 12 pitchers to start the season, as well. I really doubt either of Hjelle or Winn make the roster. They seem to think Hjelle is depth as a starting pitcher. I don't think they convert him to relief during spring training. Winn seems too unknown to make this roster.
I really think Sabol is the big beneficiary of carrying only 12 pitchers (or maybe its Villar or Wade, I'm not sure who would be considered the 26th man among this group).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the weekend, the Giants optioned Luciano and Cruz and reassigned pitchers Burgos and Guzman (not Ronald).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left knee discomfort will knock Brandon Crawford out of action for a week, per Giants.

In addition, David Villar has a mild hip flexor strain, while Thomas Szapucki (arm) and Luis González (back) are seeing second opinions today. Ronald Guzmán (forearm) is getting an MRI.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t think Hjelle or Winn are anywhere near breaking camp on the roster. Hjelle is pretty high on the depth chart as a reinforcement, but I am not convinced that Winn will get his cuppo this year. Though, at his age, maybe there isn’t much point in holding him back any more.

I think that Sabol has done MORE than expected this spring. I doubt he will get much if any time at catcher in the regular season, but being able to play all 4 corner positions AND be a capable emergency catcher actually makes him a potentially useful piece this year.