• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SPRING TRAINING ... the thread

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the subject of young professionals in downtown, not based on any data, you continue to see development in the area as well as to the east down Riverside. From what I've heard there's a low vacancy %, so I'd assume it's still in demand.

Attendance may dip below 2M this season. As a season ticket holder I recieved additional offers to purchase OD tickets that aren't made in a normal season. So it's indicates to me the Reds have taken a big hit in season ticket sales. Coming off the 2015 All Star game (ASG) that bolstered sales, a decline would be expected for a non-contending team, but I think it may be a bigger drop than the Reds anticipated.

The "Banks" still draws nice crowds and the Reds continue to add amenities to GABP, but it will never equal the increase of season ticket sales that the ASG did. The Reds marketed the ASG ticket guarantee with season tickets last year to maintain attendance, but without the ASG last year's attendance would have been closer to 2M.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's only natural that fans would compare the 2016 Reds to the 101 loss 1982 team, it's the low watermark for the Big Red Machine generation. The 1982 Reds (545 runs) was a dreadful offense after trading George Foster, Ken Griffey, Ray Knight, Joe Nolan, and losing Dave Collins to free agency. The team run differential was -116 despite the pitching staff allowing only 661 runs. Last season the run differential was -114 in a 98 loss season. Metrics based projections have shown to be reasonably accurate using run differential. So when deciding if this team can lose 100 games, you might want to decide if whether the offense or pitching has improved or regressed? If they're status quo, this team could knocking on the door of 100 losses.

My Grandfather would speak of 1930- 35 when the Reds averaged 96 losses in a 154 game schedule. My Father grew up watching 11 straight losing seasons from the end of War World II into the mid 1950's. So the franchise has survived historic losing stretches before and there's still baseball in the hometown of professional baseball.

I'm as diehard a fan as you'll find, if the Reds are playing I'll be at GABP watching. Looking forward to Opening Day.... Go Reds!!

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are teams that devote tremendous time and energy into injury prevention. shoulder, elbow, core, etc. exercise programs for pitchers that are not only individually tailored, but mandatory and monitored year round. why wouldn't an organization have a shoulder strengthening program like iglesias did this offseason -or individually specific variation- for all pitchers? if what i read yesterday is accurate, in a article -ironically enough- entitled "the plan," the reds will begin a similar styled program.

why do moscot and desclafani have injuries to their sides (intercostal & oblique) in spring training? those are basically core injuries. does it matter if it happened in batting practice or throwing? bad luck, i suppose. but, does anybody else on this board think the reds are, in general, more reactive than proactive? they've gone to injecting platelets for lorenzen's elbow. that's not a good sign. to me, the question isn't 'what are the reds doing?' the question is, 'what are the reds not doing?' again, i think williams is addressing these questions. he's transitioning to a new position, but i think he gets it. once he gets acclimated, he will be a more proactive type mlb gm of a mid market club. he has made some very smart and subtle comments about how things are going to change organizationally and culturally.

100 loses? it doesn't really matter this year. the 1982 team is completely different from this year's roster in just about every aspect - particularly youth. the degree of difficulty to actually lose 100 games was the thrust. regardless, it's no secret to anyone that the reds left themselves short on pitching for 2016. but, i see it getting better each season moving forward. i also see the reds -moving forward- making moves because they want to, and not because they have to. i think williams is going to make sure of that.

it's happy opening day in cincinnati, and i'm with h'n'r. go reds! we've posted all the reasons why we think the reds are where they are. it's done and in the past. now, it's time to actually play baseball. hellickson v. iglesias. 3 - 4 years ago hellickson had one of the most devastating change-ups i had ever seen. 12 - 15 mph differential that had the best hitters in baseball unable to pick it up and awkwardly out front. have fun at the yard and post some birds eye view thoughts later or tomorrow h'n'r.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Core injuries, IMO, like many connective tissue tears, are products of a combination of factors- training, genetics, mechanics...but, check the muscle mass on core injury players... I have a theory that modern players are stronger and faster, but less flexible. Shoulder, biceps, triceps, thighs, gluts and quads may be more developed than lats and obliques. Something has to give, and it's usually the weakest link.

I also believe not a single player in the current MLB roster has led a PED free life, aiding to that impressive muscle mass, but since they are susceptible to the "random" testing that seems to catch only inconvenient contracts, or non-elite, or convenient "sacrificial lambs", they can't risk the heal quick cure anymore.

If Henry Aaron had PED's, he would have hit 1,000 HR, and Bob Gibson might have had a season with a 0.00 ERA, but everyone has a human limitation or three.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Core injuries can be caused by a lot of factors, many of which 1507 mentions. An additional factor that relates to swing sports is the direction the muscles are naturally meant to work as opposed to the direction twisting to hit requires. Intercostal and obliques unilaterally pull the shoulder towards the hip while the opposite shoulder stretches away from the hip. Our bodies can twist, but it's not a natural kinetic motion.

Developmental balance is another factor. Every time you contract one muscle, a opposing muscle is stretching. A functional regimen incorporates strengthening and stretching both.

Chico touched on a good point. Every player is different and specifically tailored programs would be proactively beneficial for some common injuries. Good examples are Homer Bailey and Rasiel Iglesias who both had shoulder issues early on in their careers. Homer's remedy was adding muscle to eliminate movement, Iglesias was a flexibility program to increase his range of motion.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about groin pulls ? Catchers have them more than any other position, and they already squat and rise continuously. You just can't beat genetics. You may delay, or distract, but eventually, if tested thoroughly, you're gonna snap a weak spot.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the big picture, injuries are going to happen. Pitchers will always have elbow, shoulder, groin, and back issues. Catchers will have hand, knee, and hip injuries with a higher risk of concussion. Repetitive motion will always result in deterioration of the joints and high stress movements will strain and tear connective tissues. It's the nature of the beast.

I think we have to put catchers into a category of their own when it comes to injury. It's a brutal position without taking the kinesiology into account.

Goalies, football centers, and catchers must be glutton for punishment. They pay a severe price whether the team wins or loses. A bad team can lose with a good one, but teams can't consistently win with a bad one. IMO, a good catcher is the first prerequisite to building a winning baseball team.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinesiology, I learned a new word today. sometimes I think I am out of my element here. But I do enjoy the discussions here.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kinesiology was the science missing in Kentucky- you know, the study of recognizing kin before you have kids with them. :)