• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Spring Training

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why #1? Does he think Harrison is way over-hyped? Or does he expect the starting 6 to be healthy all year?

I hope he is right about Munguia. I think he's been overlooked on some prospect lists and has moved slowly in the org (compared to some other guys).

Number 10 seems way too generic, unless he is hinting at Ramos.
It has nothing to do with Kyle Harrison having a bad or disappointing season. It’s just a matter of logistics. The Giants won’t need to protect Harrison from the Rule 5 draft this offseason, which means he won’t need to be added to the 40-man roster. And, as I've been scolded mercilessly, the rosters only expand to 28 in September.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

10. One of the Giants’ previous first-round picks will get you excited again​

Crawford
Bednar (I completely forgot about this guy. Why wasn’t he in camp? Is he hurt?)
Bailey
Bishop
Bart
Ramos
Bickford
Shaw
Beede (Japan)
Arroyo
Stratton
Panik (Giants coach)
Crick (free agent)
Brown (retired)
Wheeler
Posey (retired)
Gilaspie (retired)
Bumgarner
Culberson (free agent)

Not a very exciting group…

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last news I could find about him:

• Giants' Will Bednar: Dealing with back tightness​

Rotowire OCT 27, 2022
    Bednar experienced back tightness while playing in the Arizona Fall League, and the Giants opted to shut him down Thursday, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
    The 22-year-old's reps in Arizona had added importance since he landed on the injured list in June and missed the rest of the season, but the back issue will bring an early end to that development period. Bednar will now have a few months to get healthy for the start of spring training in February.

• Giants' Will Bednar: Placed on injured list​

Rotowire JUN 29, 2022
    Bednar was placed on the 7-day minor-league injured list for an undisclosed reason Wednesday, Single-A San Jose broadcaster Joe Ritzo reports.
    Bednar has struggled in the minors over the last several weeks, logging a 6.52 ERA, 24:12 K:BB and 1.45 WHIP in 19.1 innings. The right-hander hasn't pitched in a game since June 12, and he'll be forced to miss at least a week due to his unspecified injury.

• Giants' Will Bednar: Unimpressive in Single-A​

Rotowire JUN 7, 2022
    Bednar has a 4.37 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and 44:18 K:BB in 35 innings (10 starts) for Single-A San Jose.
    The 14th overall pick in last season's draft, Bednar is less than a week shy of his 22nd birthday, so it'd be nice to see him showing some more dominance at the lowest level of full-season ball. He's lasted five innings in just one of his starts this year, and that was back on April 27; he's also had a pair of five-run explosions in his last four outings. With too many walks (4.6 BB/9), a 5.64 FIP and a 5.11 xFIP, Bednar certainly isn't having the kind of success the Giants expected. There's considerable relief risk here.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last news I could find about him:

• Giants' Will Bednar: Dealing with back tightness​

Rotowire OCT 27, 2022
    Bednar experienced back tightness while playing in the Arizona Fall League, and the Giants opted to shut him down Thursday, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.
    The 22-year-old's reps in Arizona had added importance since he landed on the injured list in June and missed the rest of the season, but the back issue will bring an early end to that development period. Bednar will now have a few months to get healthy for the start of spring training in February.

• Giants' Will Bednar: Placed on injured list​

Rotowire JUN 29, 2022
    Bednar was placed on the 7-day minor-league injured list for an undisclosed reason Wednesday, Single-A San Jose broadcaster Joe Ritzo reports.
    Bednar has struggled in the minors over the last several weeks, logging a 6.52 ERA, 24:12 K:BB and 1.45 WHIP in 19.1 innings. The right-hander hasn't pitched in a game since June 12, and he'll be forced to miss at least a week due to his unspecified injury.

• Giants' Will Bednar: Unimpressive in Single-A​

Rotowire JUN 7, 2022
    Bednar has a 4.37 ERA, 1.09 WHIP and 44:18 K:BB in 35 innings (10 starts) for Single-A San Jose.
    The 14th overall pick in last season's draft, Bednar is less than a week shy of his 22nd birthday, so it'd be nice to see him showing some more dominance at the lowest level of full-season ball. He's lasted five innings in just one of his starts this year, and that was back on April 27; he's also had a pair of five-run explosions in his last four outings. With too many walks (4.6 BB/9), a 5.64 FIP and a 5.11 xFIP, Bednar certainly isn't having the kind of success the Giants expected. There's considerable relief risk here.
And he was taken due to his perceived proximity to the bigs. Now, just 2 years after drafting him, he isn’t anywhere near any top prospect lists.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he was taken due to his perceived proximity to the bigs. Now, just 2 years after drafting him, he isn’t anywhere near any top prospect lists.
FZ's drafting has been very underwhelming thus far. Schmitt may be the exception to the rule and even that is too early to say.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford
Bailey
Bishop
Bart
Ramos
Bickford
Shaw
Beede (Japan)
Arroyo
Stratton
Panik (Giants coach)
Crick (free agent)
Brown (retired)
Wheeler
Posey (retired)
Gilaspie (retired)
Bumgarner
Culberson (free agent)

In the Giants' defense, they really didn't invite any pitchers to camp who weren't at least getting a legitimate shot at pitching in AAA.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford
Bailey
Bishop
Bart
Ramos
Bickford
Shaw
Beede (Japan)
Arroyo
Stratton
Panik (Giants coach)
Crick (free agent)
Brown (retired)
Wheeler
Posey (retired)
Gilaspie (retired)
Bumgarner
Culberson (free agent)

I think it'll be Ramos.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ's drafting has been very underwhelming thus far. Schmitt may be the exception to the rule and even that is too early to say.
To be fair, the 2020 draft looks AWESOME.

Bailey (looks to have a floor as a journeyman glove-first MLB catcher; likely to get a cuppo this year)
Schmitt (one of the Giants top prospects; likely to graduate SOON)
Swiney (had a rough ‘22 in A+, but had a SOLID ‘21; will likely redo A+ in ‘23)
Glowenke (not a top prospect, but still has some shine; likely starts the year in A+ but will be a candidate for AA early)
Harrison (Giants top prospect; likely will get his cuppo this season)
Dabovich (already on the 40; almost guaranteed to get his cuppo this year and will likely be a real contributor as early as this year)
Murphy (lotto-ticket prospect; likely to start season in SJ)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has nothing to do with Kyle Harrison having a bad or disappointing season. It’s just a matter of logistics. The Giants won’t need to protect Harrison from the Rule 5 draft this offseason, which means he won’t need to be added to the 40-man roster. And, as I've been scolded mercilessly, the rosters only expand to 28 in September.
So he expects someone else (Hjelle? Long? Beck? Bermudez?) to fill in when injuries hit the rotation? Or, despite how well Harrison may do, they'll just role with an opener when a spot in the rotation needs to be filled?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the 2020 draft looks AWESOME.

Bailey (looks to have a floor as a journeyman glove-first MLB catcher; likely to get a cuppo this year)
Schmitt (one of the Giants top prospects; likely to graduate SOON)
Swiney (had a rough ‘22 in A+, but had a SOLID ‘21; will likely redo A+ in ‘23)
Glowenke (not a top prospect, but still has some shine; likely starts the year in A+ but will be a candidate for AA early)
Harrison (Giants top prospect; likely will get his cuppo this season)
Dabovich (already on the 40; almost guaranteed to get his cuppo this year and will likely be a real contributor as early as this year)
Murphy (lotto-ticket prospect; likely to start season in SJ)
True, that year has some encouraging players. I forgot that both Schmitt and Harrison were picked that year.
And to add to that list, Wil Jensen did well in Eugene before a rough 8 game stretch with Richmond. And Bret Auerbach didn't hit that well in Richmond last year but looked great in spring training. Both were non drafted free agents signed after the 2020 draft.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he expects someone else (Hjelle? Long? Beck? Bermudez?) to fill in when injuries hit the rotation? Or, despite how well Harrison may do, they'll just role with an opener when a spot in the rotation needs to be filled?
The depth chart looks like this:

1. Webb
2. Cobb
3. Manaea
4. Stripling
5. Wood
6. Disco
7. Junis
8. Hjelle

all those guys are on the 26 man. It would take FOUR injuries/implosions for Harry to get a call up.

I think.

Unless he goes all Timmy Lincecum on us.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like Bumgarner. Similar stuff.

I'll take either one, though. :hope:
Harrison and Bum are good comparisons. Harrison isn’t exactly like Bum, stuff-wise, but I get the sense that he is a bit of a red-ass and goes in with the mentality of his starts being HIS games (very much Bum-like).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3