• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL} Top Head Coach All Time ?......

Your choice ?

• Don Shula - 2 titles 328 wins

• George Halas - 6 titles 318 wins

• Tom Landry - 2 titles 259 wins

• Bill Belichick - 5 titles 237 wins

• Chuck Noll - 4 titles 193 wins

• Paul Brown - titles 3 NFL 4 AAFC 4 HS 166 wins

• Joe Gibbs - 3 titles 154 wins

• Vince Lombardi - 6 titles 96 wins

• Bill Walsh - 3 titles 92 wins

Results are only viewable after voting.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd add knowing how to get the most out of his players and putting them in situations where they could succeed. But what do you think the Pats success is based upon ? Really innovative and complex scheming ?

As a matter of fact, yes, versatility up the wazoo. 3-4's,4-3 and all variations in between. In the same game. The offense is cooked in a similar manner.

Bellichick isn't even the only one.

Listen, what Lombardi did was at a championship level for a decade.... BUT football was different then. It's much harder to play the "this is what we do, try and stop us" type of game.

Thats all.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching in today's world is nothing like coaching in the 1950's.

Yup. Take Billy Belly for instance. Everyone caught up in the now wants to crown him best ever.....fact is that he was generally a failure in Cleveland and 5-13 through 2000/2001 until by luck Brady is forced to start for him.

Then.....he is a 'genius' and all that nonsense. Now....I do think BB is a good coach and all, especially defensively, but the guy has been overrated for some time - see 'Giants defensive gameplan against Buffalo in the HOF 1990' for reference.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we're homers because we voted BB. :rolleyes2: u never cease to amaze. BB is writting the record books as we speak. Comparing the eras is dumb first off. But if we must then BB is maybe even more so the winner.
Even if you want to count NFL, AFL or even AAFC championships you have to take into account the number of teams in each respective league, they played 14 game seasons. When they started a playoff system u played two games and if u won both you were the champ. No salary cap. No rules by the current NFL to try and ensure parity...
Look all the coaches mentioned were/are top notch. Being last on that list is still a feat in itself.
You are just a homer and can't be objective.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So were the Browns. Doesn't say much does it?
Yes, it says they were a great team and one point. I remember when the Patriots were crappy.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Take Billy Belly for instance. Everyone caught up in the now wants to crown him best ever.....fact is that he was generally a failure in Cleveland and 5-13 through 2000/2001 until by luck Brady is forced to start for him.

Then.....he is a 'genius' and all that nonsense. Now....I do think BB is a good coach and all, especially defensively, but the guy has been overrated for some time - see 'Giants defensive gameplan against Buffalo in the HOF 1990' for reference.

He did, however, take the Browns to the playoffs and a playoff win over Parcells' Patriots in 94... then, that very promising 95 Browns team, tanked when Modell announced he was moving the Browns to Baltimore right before the season started.

Patriot fans everywhere should be thankful for Art Modell.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are just a homer and can't be objective.
Because you say so:rolleyes2: says the poster who thinks trying to compare eras that are in no way similiar isn't being objective. Well done Skippy :thumb:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you say so says the poster who thinks trying to compare eras that are in no way similiar isn't being objective. Well done Skippy
Go suck on Belichick's dick... :rolleyes2:

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....aaaaand a facepalm is all he's got.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a matter of fact, yes, versatility up the wazoo. 3-4's,4-3 and all variations in between. In the same game. The offense is cooked in a similar manner.

Bellichick isn't even the only one.

Listen, what Lombardi did was at a championship level for a decade.... BUT football was different then. It's much harder to play the "this is what we do, try and stop us" type of game.

Thats all.

I think he would have been able to keep up to speed with any game advances had he coached another 15 years or so. He was a very bright guy and football isn't any more rocket science than it was back then. Advances are incremental and based upon what came before. He would have been fine.

The Pats offensive execution has always been the thing that's impressed me most about the Pats. They're like a machine when they get going. I think their emphasis on execution and they way it showed on the field was very similar. Maybe that's simplistic.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....aaaaand a facepalm is all he's got.
Well that and go suck a dick. The only reason I don't have his dumb ass on ignore is he makes me laugh when he tries talking football with the grown ups.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote goes to Walsh because of how he completely revolutionized the game. Bellichick a close second because of his superb attention to detail and no-stone-left-unturned preparation.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would have been able to keep up to speed with any game advances had he coached another 15 years or so. He was a very bright guy and football isn't any more rocket science than it was back then. Advances are incremental and based upon what came before. He would have been fine.

The Pats offensive execution has always been the thing that's impressed me most about the Pats. They're like a machine when they get going. I think their emphasis on execution and they way it showed on the field was very similar. Maybe that's simplistic.

There's no question that good coaches do many of the same good things. I have no reason to think Lombardi wouldn't be capable of adapting to current football but there's a difference between speculation and seeing in action with coaches like Bellichick changing what's needed to be successful today. The Patriots were all about ball control and then when the rules opened up the offense, they opened up the offense with Moss and Welker, added two tight ends as a new twist etc. It's funny that you mention the offense since Belichick got his cred on defense but he's clearly grew into that as well.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit surprised there's no love for Shula. He was widely considered #1 or #2 when he retired.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no question that good coaches do many of the same good things. I have no reason to think Lombardi wouldn't be capable of adapting to current football but there's a difference between speculation and seeing in action with coaches like Bellichick changing what's needed to be successful today. The Patriots were all about ball control and then when the rules opened up the offense, they opened up the offense with Moss and Welker, added two tight ends as a new twist etc. It's funny that you mention the offense since Belichick got his cred on defense but he's clearly grew into that as well.

Lombardi ran extremely well coached play action, just not as frequently as today's offenses. I don't have any doubt he could adapt. He was as detail oriented as any HC in history. The man gave 4 hour lectures on the power sweep.

Reactions: GNG

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit surprised there's no love for Shula. He was widely considered #1 or #2 when he retired.

Probably because he is 2-4 in Superbowls, including the mother of all chokes (at that time) in 1969 to the Jets.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patriot fans everywhere should be thankful for Art Modell.

....and far more thankful that they lucked into a top 10 all time HOF QB.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because he is 2-4 in Superbowls, including the mother of all chokes (at that time) in 1969 to the Jets.

Baltimore didn't choke, The Jets' defense was very underrated going in.