• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCG set, Urban is retiring, who's your top 10 head coaches headed into next season?

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And lost THREE key defensive players … within minutes.

You seem to have overlooked that … along with a 12-0 & #3 ranked season.

We'll not mention the Irish's last two bowl appearances and who they defeated, huh? Might that have something to do with your 'observation' of tonite's game?

Don’t blame injuries for loses.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t blame injuries for loses.
I don't, usually, but these were absolute key players that all went down within minutes of play.

An All-American shutdown corner (that totally changed the complexion of game) and which Clemson immediately (and wisely) exploited by going air raid.

One of our only really effective pass rushers.

#2 tackler on the team and another huge secondary loss.

These were very key factors in lessening ND's chance against already bad odds at beating a very, very good team.

Having said all that … the better team won and deservedly so. They'll be a better matchup against tMachine from Tuscaloosa, IMO.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially when the injuries are defensive players and your offense only managed 3 points.
That's fair, but it changed the scoreboard immediately allowing Clemson to put up a lot of pretty quick points where Book was placed in a much more difficult situation having to play from a mounting deficit.

It changed the complexion of the game and Book's play suffered from it as he was erratic while being harassed, cuz he was put in predictable situations.

Bottom line … tough titties for ND and having the lightning strike like that was certainly NOT the luck the Irish were hoping & praying for - that's for sure.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair, but it changed the scoreboard immediately allowing Clemson to put up a lot of pretty quick points where Book was placed in a much more difficult situation having to play from a mounting deficit.

It changed the complexion of the game and Book's play suffered from it as he was erratic while being harassed, cuz he was put in predictable situations.

Bottom line … tough titties for ND and having the lightning strike like that was certainly NOT the luck the Irish were hoping & praying for - that's for sure.

If your team lacks depth and can't plug in a suitable backup, then maybe your team isn't so much great and deserving of a Championship, but just good and LUCKY not to have suffered those injuries in games 1 or 2?

Every team suffers injuries or players getting suspended, etc., but the really great teams can weather those things and still win.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your team lacks depth and can't plug in a suitable backup, then maybe your team isn't so much great and deserving of a Championship, but just good and LUCKY not to have suffered those injuries in games 1 or 2?

Every team suffers injuries or players getting suspended, etc., but the really great teams can weather those things and still win.
Please read my post a little more carefully … KEY players (one an AA).

Losing two from your secondary immediately opened up the passing game for Clemson. Couple that with losing your only true pass rusher and shazam … Clemson is moving the ball thru the air with ease.

Losing Love changed the whole scheme as injured Gilman (who returned later in game) had to play hamstrung without Love shutting down WRs. He got burnt, repeatedly, trying to cover the run (his forte with Love in there) and the deep ball. It was a significant game changer and Clemson took immediate & constant advantage of it.

I've never been under any delusion that ND would/could be a national champion going up against the likes of a Bama or Clemson, again, this year … so don't try to twist my words.

Again … the much better team beat my Irish last nite. I can live with that.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this top 10 supposed to be based on what they've soready accomplished or who I'd want going forward ?

2 completely different lists

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this top 10 supposed to be based on what they've soready accomplished or who I'd want going forward ?

2 completely different lists

It's your list, use any criteria you see fit. Mine was a combination of both.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were totally in the game until they lost three key D players within minutes and Clemson quickly exploited that void.

You're being disingenuous, IMO.

Part of being a great coach is recruiting quality depth so that the loss of one player doesn't cost your team a game. Clemson was without a DT who will be a 1st round draft pick next spring the entire game and Notre Dame was unable to take advantage because we have recruited great depth.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of being a great coach is recruiting quality depth so that the loss of one player doesn't cost your team a game. Clemson was without a DT who will be a 1st round draft pick next spring the entire game and Notre Dame was unable to take advantage because we have recruited great depth.
I invite you to reread my posts.

And I can see some of your point IRT depth and yall not having Lawrence in lineup. Again, those three injuries were to key players within minutes.

Yall took immediate advantage and it paid off, bigly. We didn't stand much of a chance after those three went down and when they went down. That game was 9-3 … it quickly changed after those injuries.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please read my post a little more carefully … KEY players (one an AA).

Losing two from your secondary immediately opened up the passing game for Clemson. Couple that with losing your only true pass rusher and shazam … Clemson is moving the ball thru the air with ease.

Losing Love changed the whole scheme as injured Gilman (who returned later in game) had to play hamstrung without Love shutting down WRs. He got burnt, repeatedly, trying to cover the run (his forte with Love in there) and the deep ball. It was a significant game changer and Clemson took immediate & constant advantage of it.

I've never been under any delusion that ND would/could be a national champion going up against the likes of a Bama or Clemson, again, this year … so don't try to twist my words.

Again … the much better team beat my Irish last nite. I can live with that.

Yeah, they always seem to be "key players"?! lol I know, I've been there. One of the Gopher's biggest issues back during the Glen Mason years was lack of depth. A key player would get injured and it would hurt our chances of winning games. It's one of the reasons Glen Mason eventually got fired. Jerry Kill started to build more depth to our lineups and now PJFleck seems to be building depth and increased quality as well. And we lost our best defensive player to the NFL for the bowl game and his backup played very well. THAT is one of the reasons we won our bowl game, whereas that would have crippled us back in the Mason years. Granted it was only GT, and your Domers were playing Clemson, but they are Notre Dame, not Minnesota, so they should have better athletes and better depth?!

But I'll admit that losing THREE players, against the likes of a Clemson would make it tougher. And it's good that you at least admit Clemson was the better team even before you lost the 3 players. Not often I meet a humble Notre Dame fan, lol. But I'm only giving you a hard time because I recognize the whole injury excuse thing as I've employed that excuse too many times in the past, mostly when Mason was our coach. And it was needed because of our being a weaker program than the likes of OSU and Michigan. But I'll stop busting your balls about this as going 12-0 is an accomplishment whether it required some luck or not, because all the luck in the world can't make up for no talent.

Congrats on a good season.

ozanaminn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,915.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban
Swinney
Smart
Riley
Fitzgerald
Shaw
Whittingham
Leach
Peterson
Cutcliffe

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I invite you to reread my posts.

And I can see some of your point IRT depth and yall not having Lawrence in lineup. Again, those three injuries were to key players within minutes.

Yall took immediate advantage and it paid off, bigly. We didn't stand much of a chance after those three went down and when they went down. That game was 9-3 … it quickly changed after those injuries.

So what you are saying is our coaches were better able to scheme for the loss of a player in minutes and yours wasn't able to scheme for the loss of a player in close to a week? You've pretty much made my point for me.

In the Orange Bowl against OU we lost consensus All-American DE Shaq Lawson early to a knee injury. Did we turtle up? No. We simply introduced the world to Austin Bryant. The very next season Clelin Ferrell went down in the NCG against Alabama and Austin Bryant once again steps up and we don't miss a beat. You might remember Austin Bryant....he had two sacks and three tackles for loss last night. Had he went down we would have simply replaced him with Xavier Thomas, a five star freshman.

Good coaches recruit great front level talent. Great coaches recruit great depth.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you are saying is our coaches were better able to scheme for the loss of a player in minutes and yours wasn't able to scheme for the loss of a player in close to a week? You've pretty much made my point for me.

In the Orange Bowl against OU we lost consensus All-American DE Shaq Lawson early to a knee injury. Did we turtle up? No. We simply introduced the world to Austin Bryant. The very next season Clelin Ferrell went down in the NCG against Alabama and Austin Bryant once again steps up and we don't miss a beat. You might remember Austin Bryant....he had two sacks and three tackles for loss last night. Had he went down we would have simply replaced him with Xavier Thomas, a five star freshman.

Good coaches recruit great front level talent. Great coaches recruit great depth.
You keep alluding to just ONE player … if you've read my posts with open eyes, you'll see that I was stating THREE key players went down within minutes at the same time describing their critical roles. It completely & immediately changed the whole context of our game/scheme.

I feel like I'm repeating myself at this point. If it were just one player, I wouldn't make such a 'big deal' of it, but it was an AA from secondary, #2 tackler on team from secondary and our only real pass rusher. This totally opened up the passing game for Lawrence and Clemson wasted no time in effectively picking us apart and racking up quick points to a then 9-3 game.

The game quickly left ND's grasp. That's my point.

Now, you can argue with me all ya want, but I'd just rather yall take care of biz and show Bama they're not the only bully left on the block. :dance:

GO TIGERS!

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His first year at UCF was pretty miserable if I am remembering correct? He had to change a culture, and didn’t they have a ton of issues in the locker room? I feel like Frost’s job was a lot less coaching and a lot more finding those who were going to move forward with those willing to change and cutting out those who weren’t.

Yeah and I do think he did a lot of that this year. I just don't want to get my hopes up and expect more than I should. Just because he did something somewhere, doesn't mean it will happen here. There could be numerous different factors that change the outcome.

Again, don't get me wrong... the way everything unfolded at UCF.... I hope Nebraska goes undefeated next year lol.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Scott Frost
2 Scott Frost
3 Scott Frost
4 Scott Frost
5 Scott Frost
6 Scott Frost
7 Scott Frost
8 Scott Frost
9 Scott Frost
10 Scott Frost

Ohh uhhggg ahhh ohhhh

Much better. I completed

Yes! I like what's he's doing at brasky.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban
Swinney
Smart
Riley
Fitzgerald
Shaw
Whittingham
Leach
Peterson
Cutcliffe

Fitzgerald in the top 5? Yeah, he does gooed for Northwestern, but top 5 coaches don't lose to Akron.