• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NCG set, Urban is retiring, who's your top 10 head coaches headed into next season?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually having read the findings from IOSHA they dinged Notre Dame moreso for not properly training their personnel on use of scissor equipment.

I'm guessing that isn't in Brian Kelly's wheelhouse.

Nupist

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zSJG3z4m_400x400.jpg

My only function here is to politely remind you that you still WILL NOT get that game against Nebraska that could potentially even up the series. We're going to wait until we have another Super team, then, we'll think about it.

Toodles ! :happyshake:

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually having read the findings from IOSHA they dinged Notre Dame moreso for not properly training their personnel on use of scissor equipment.

I'm guessing that isn't in Brian Kelly's wheelhouse.
It, obviously, should have been.

If only we had an expert Scissor Lift Guy there …. :sigh:

The funny thing about it … had AG been there, he'd prolly call ya a poosay for not getting in the lift and raising it as high as he could - pounding his chest like King Kong and cursin like Lt Dan during the shrimp boat storm in Forrest Gump. lolz

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a scissor lift expert.

But I have common sense and THAT IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED to know you don't let people operate something like a scissor lift in inclement weather, whether it is rain or snow or wind or extreme heat or cold temps.

DIKOWT DOWG

Man's Best Friend
Hoopla Cash
$ 820.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I'd wait for the end of the NCG for this thread, but I don't think any outcome will have an impact the top 2.

My list:

1. Nick Saban- He's the GOAT
2. Dabo Swinney- Has a natty, going into his third NCG, all at a non blue blood
3. Jimbo Fisher- Say what you will, but he has a natty, and he hasn't been out of the game for an extended period
4. Kirby Smart- Great recruiter, has Georgia playing to their potential, hasn't been able to top Saban, but not many have.
5. Lincoln Riley- Great offensive mind. Two season, two playoff appearances, two Heisman winners
6. Chris Petersen- Great all around coach. Has Washington more relevant than they've ever been in my lifetime.
7. Les Miles- He's gotta a big job ahead of him, but I think he can get Kansas to relevancy. Has a natty, would be higher if he hadn't been away for a few years.
8. Mack Brown- Same as Les, a lot of work to do, but would be higher if not for the years he's been off the job.
9. James Franklin- Gets some well deserved criticism, but has done a fine job bringing Penn State back from where they were after the worst scandal in sports history. Great recruiter. Urban's gone, he has an opening.
10. Dan Mullen- He built Mississippi State into a respectable program, and that's saying something, and improved Florida's win mark by 6 games over last season, and that's with a brain dead QB.

HM: Mike Leach, Brian Kelly, David Shaw, Mark Stoops(9 wins at Kentucky is impressive), Dino Babers, Jim Harbaugh, Tom Herman, Mark Dantonio, Ryan Day(fully expect him to be safely on this list after next season, but can't include him when he hasn't been a HC before save a few games for Urban's suspension), Pat Fitzgerald, Doug Patterson

There are some decent thoughts in here, but with names like Fishers's, Miles and Brown, it's hard to take you serious. They were all good/great coaches at one time. Calling them the best of the best leading into the 2019 season isn't happening in my book.

He's local to this area, but if you are serious about looking at coaches of tomorrow and coaches that will be making noise in their conference, I would look at guys like Babers, who you have listed as an honorable mention. And Lincoln Riley. Both of these coaches are changing how their schools traditionally played the game. We are in a new era and jimbo fishers days are behind him.

Here is babers after the bowl game with wv.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thing has 7 pages, and 3 other posters posted a list. You people are fags.

Reactions: gob

DIKOWT DOWG

Man's Best Friend
Hoopla Cash
$ 820.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thing has 7 pages, and 3 other posters posted a list. You people are fags.

Damn! Fags no less. Get your dick out. I'll show you some shit you ain't seen before.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some decent thoughts in here, but with names like Fishers's, Miles and Brown, it's hard to take you serious. They were all good/great coaches at one time. Calling them the best of the best leading into the 2019 season isn't happening in my book.

He's local to this area, but if you are serious about looking at coaches of tomorrow and coaches that will be making noise in their conference, I would look at guys like Babers, who you have listed as an honorable mention. And Lincoln Riley. Both of these coaches are changing how their schools traditionally played the game. We are in a new era and jimbo fishers days are behind him.

I believe PJFleck is an example of a program changer, too. Watch the last 4 Gopher games, since the new DC came in, and remember that is the youngest lineup in the country, 8 Frosh starting on offense, 58 frosh total on the roster, only 11 Seniors, some who weren't starters.

One more season and he'll start being put on people's Top 10 lists.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Babers will likely be on the list if he follows up this season with another good season next season, but as of right now, he's a bit of a one year wonder. I remember a time when Florida fans loved Muschamp.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Chewie, I'll bite. But my list is sometimes driven as much by what type talent a guy has to work with as much as talent covering up for sorry coaching. So....

1. Sweeny
2. Saban
3. Petersen
4. Whittingham
5. Fitzgerald
6. Dantonio
7. Patterson
8. Mullen
9. Rhule
10. Smart

And before anyone goes ballistic, I just think Dabo has more in front of him. Obviously Saban is better overall.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Chewie, I'll bite. But my list is sometimes driven as much by what type talent a guy has to work with as much as talent covering up for sorry coaching. So....

1. Sweeny
2. Saban
3. Petersen
4. Whittingham
5. Fitzgerald
6. Dantonio
7. Patterson
8. Mullen
9. Rhule
10. Smart

And before anyone goes ballistic, I just think Dabo has more in front of him. Obviously Saban is better overall.

Only issue I have with that is the HC is responsible for getting the talent to come to play for him. That's a part of his job. I don't really get knocking coaches for excelling at a major part of what they were hired to do. If it's a guy like Taggart or Clay Helton that has all the talent they could ask for and they can't do anything with it, then yeah, knock them down.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Kirby
4. Riley
5. Mullen
6. Peterson
7. Jimbo
8. Shaw
9. Kelly
10. Dantonio

CTN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Jimbo
4. Babers
5. Orgeron
6. Kirby S.
7. Bronco M.
8. Cutcliff
9. Mullen
10. S.Addazio

I'm not convinced that some of these could be replaced by Les Miles and Mack Brown next year, but they need to show me that the game has not left them first.

I hate to, but will give two Honorable mentions : 1. B.Stoops 2. D.Doeren

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Jimbo
4. Babers
5. Orgeron
6. Kirby S.
7. Bronco M.
8. Cutcliff
9. Mullen
10. S.Addazio

I'm not convinced that some of these could be replaced by Les Miles and Mack Brown next year, but they need to show me that the game has not left them first.

Yea I can't get on board with Miles and Mack after being out so long and in less than ideal landing spots (especially Miles)

Reactions: CTN

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Saban
2. Dabo
3. Jimbo
4. Babers
5. Orgeron
6. Kirby S.
7. Bronco M.
8. Cutcliff
9. Mullen
10. S.Addazio

You love yourself some ACC, don’t you?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Normally I'd wait for the end of the NCG for this thread, but I don't think any outcome will have an impact the top 2.

My list:

1. Nick Saban- He's the GOAT
2. Dabo Swinney- Has a natty, going into his third NCG, all at a non blue blood
3. Jimbo Fisher- Say what you will, but he has a natty, and he hasn't been out of the game for an extended period
4. Kirby Smart- Great recruiter, has Georgia playing to their potential, hasn't been able to top Saban, but not many have.
5. Lincoln Riley- Great offensive mind. Two season, two playoff appearances, two Heisman winners
6. Chris Petersen- Great all around coach. Has Washington more relevant than they've ever been in my lifetime.
7. Les Miles- He's gotta a big job ahead of him, but I think he can get Kansas to relevancy. Has a natty, would be higher if he hadn't been away for a few years.
8. Mack Brown- Same as Les, a lot of work to do, but would be higher if not for the years he's been off the job.
9. James Franklin- Gets some well deserved criticism, but has done a fine job bringing Penn State back from where they were after the worst scandal in sports history. Great recruiter. Urban's gone, he has an opening.
10. Dan Mullen- He built Mississippi State into a respectable program, and that's saying something, and improved Florida's win mark by 6 games over last season, and that's with a brain dead QB.

HM: Mike Leach, Brian Kelly, David Shaw, Mark Stoops(9 wins at Kentucky is impressive), Dino Babers, Jim Harbaugh, Tom Herman, Mark Dantonio, Ryan Day(fully expect him to be safely on this list after next season, but can't include him when he hasn't been a HC before save a few games for Urban's suspension), Pat Fitzgerald, Doug Patterson

Brown and Miles aren’t even close. Both failed in the later years at schools with huge recruiting advantages. I don’t see either getting better pushing 70.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown and Miles aren’t even close. Both failed in the later years at schools with huge recruiting advantages. I don’t see either getting better pushing 70.

Already been covered. Their natties gets them on the list, they fail, they drop, but they have top 10 resumes for active head coaches.

Now, post your list. Criticism with no list of your own is kinda lame.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that he had NOTRE DAME, one of college footballs most storied programs finishing 4-8 in any season is a huge knock.

He didn't just lose to Bama in 2012, he got destroyed, and all of those wins have been vacated.

He again got destroyed in the playoffs this season.

5 on my list have natties. Kirby and Riley are widely considered to be the two best coaches without natties. James Franklin took over a team under big time sanctions and has been a great recruiter, beat out a great Urban Meyer team and went on to win the B1G, and took VANDY to back to back 9 win, ranked seasons. Dan Mullen turned MISSISSIPPI STATE into a really solid program and just lead Florida to a top 10 season after they were a complete shit show just last season. And Chris Petersen took Boise State to places no mid major had ever been before, and now has Washington as perennial favorites in the Pac, including two Pac titles and a playoff appearance.

Who are you dropping?

Well I guess Whitt didn’t do it at Utah.
Damn.