• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My top 25 QBs of all time

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers does not have more time to wins lol. He does have more TDs . That's my bad and I'd take Rivers but if also take lots of different guys over lots of guys that are in my rankings because the rankings are based on results not talent . I'd take Mahomes over every QB in the league right now but that doesn't mean he's had the best career

That's the point though. You'd take Rivers because he's proven himself a better QB. Eli can't be one of the best QBs of all time if he isn't even one of the best of his generation.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total wins includes playoff wins

So add Eli's 8 playoff wins and Philip's 5 and that puts Eli ahead by 1 total win. Huge difference there. Nevermind the fact that Eli has started 24 more games, playoffs included.

So a guy with 1 more win than a guy that's made a full season and a half less starts is one of the 25 best all time QBs? Really?

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So add Eli's 8 playoff wins and Philip's 5 and that puts Eli ahead by 1 total win. Huge difference there. Nevermind the fact that Eli has started 24 more games, playoffs included.

So a guy with 1 more win than a guy that's made a full season and a half less starts is one of the 25 best all time QBs? Really?

Who cares, you're talking about number 23 out of 25?

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All time. Do you really think Eli is one of the greatest QBs to ever play in the NFL? Would you really take him over Philip Rivers?

Probably not, but when you get that far down the list A) it's hard for me too get excited one way or another, B) the author of the list did say that SB appearances and SB wins played a part in his choices. Eli has the skins on the wall, like it or not, and Rivers doesn't.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So instead of picking apart other people's I'm going to post mine .

I looked at a lot of numbers to compile this lists .

Namely I looked at total yards , total TDs , MVPs won, playoff record , regular season record , super bowls made and super bowls won .

I looked at the Top 32 in all those categories and then cross referenced them all vs each other to get a final tally . This worked well for modern era QBs but i did have to do some educated guessing with older guys who played a different game basically .

Results

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Joe Montana
4. John Unitas
5. Brett Favre
6. Aaron Rodgers
( These are the only guys who met every criteria )
10. Otto Graham
11. Bart Starr
12. Roger Staubach
13. Kurt Warner
14. John Elway
15. Fran Tarkenton
16. Ben Roethlisberger
17. Matt Ryan
Boomer Esiason
( These guys hit all but 1 criteria )
( All but 2 criteria )
25. Ken Stabler
( More than 2 missed criteria but finished top 32 in total with special emphasis on SBs )

What criteria did Graham miss? Also, how did Luckman miss the list entirely? I think he meets every criteria.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not, but when you get that far down the list A) it's hard for me too get excited one way or another, B) the author of the list did say that SB appearances and SB wins played a part in his choices. Eli has the skins on the wall, like it or not, and Rivers doesn't.

He said it was one criteria. That is the only criteria that Eli meets. You do not make the list from meeting one criteria.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hooray, he throws a lot of yards. He's also one of the worst QBs of his era.

No... no, no, no. lol

Eli belongs nowhere near the list, but this is insane hyperbole.

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said it was one criteria. That is the only criteria that Eli meets. You do not make the list from meeting one criteria.

Maybe you don't make your list but Eli made this author's list.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again . A results based rankings isn't about anything other than results . Eli has more yards , more TDs, more playoff wins, more overall wins and 2 SBs. You're conflating talent with results .

I was clear in my OP that I used data to determine these rankings not "eye test "

I can't think of worse data to use for an all-time list than raw totals of yardage or TD's. You can only compare those numbers within the same era. Just over 40 years ago it was the norm for really good QB's to throw more INT's than TD's. Just 12-15 years ago throwing for 3,500 yards was an accomplishment. Just before that? 3,000 was.

No shit Eli's raw yardage total is high. 7 of the top 10 QB's on the yardage list were active THIS decade. Soon to be 8 when Ryan inevitably throws for a little over 2K more. What does that tell you?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you don't make your list but Eli made this author's list.

I see that. My point of contention is that he shouldn't have - as he only meets one criteria.

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that. My point of contention is that he shouldn't have - as he only meets one criteria.

Point taken.

My point is that when you get that far down these lists the subjectivity has increased to the point to where they lose their value. I would say stick with a shorter list.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point taken.

My point is that when you get that far down these lists the subjectivity has increased to the point to where they lose their value. I would say stick with a shorter list.

If you feel that #23 on the list is stupid. I don't find it any more or less absurd/arbitrary to argue that as opposed to a spot in the top 5.

He made the list. Others are disputing it. They're not just hurling insults... They're quantifying their points of contention with that spot.

I think it's much more fun to make a top 25 list. The top 5 or top 10 lists are all a version of the same thing. You'll always get one whacky guy who leaves out a great or includes someone random... but that's about it. 25 opens up some interesting conversations with QB's who are sort of lost in the GOAT limbo. Good enough to be in the HOF or get HOF consideration, but not good enough for the usual GOAT lists. Those QB's are interesting to me. We've all heard enough of the Brady/Montana or Rodgers vs everyone else arguments.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No... no, no, no. lol

Eli belongs nowhere near the list, but this is insane hyperbole.

I didn't mean it as hyperbole, I meant it literally. There are very few QBs that put up as pedestrian numbers that Eli Manning has and get to keep their job.

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you feel that #23 on the list is stupid. I don't find it any more or less absurd/arbitrary to argue that as opposed to a spot in the top 5.

He made the list. Others are disputing it. They're not just hurling insults... They're quantifying their points of contention with that spot..

I didn't say anything about stupid, absurd, or insults. I said once you get that far down the list it becomes too subjective for my tastes. But, by all means, enjoy yourself, I mean that. We just see this differently.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean it as hyperbole, I meant it literally. There are very few QBs that put up as pedestrian numbers that Eli Manning has and get to keep their job.

Pedestrian does not = Worst QB of generation

So, yes... it was immense hyperbole

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say anything about stupid, absurd, or insults. I said once you get that far down the list it becomes too subjective for my tastes. But, by all means, enjoy yourself, I mean that. We just see this differently.

So #4 isn't all that subjective but #23 is super subjective?

I just don't think that logic adds up, at all. It's all subjective.

BostonBlackie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So #4 isn't all that subjective but #23 is super subjective?

I just don't think that logic adds up, at all. It's all subjective.

You're proving my point.

Say, what fun!?!