• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL} Top Head Coach All Time ?......

Your choice ?

• Don Shula - 2 titles 328 wins

• George Halas - 6 titles 318 wins

• Tom Landry - 2 titles 259 wins

• Bill Belichick - 5 titles 237 wins

• Chuck Noll - 4 titles 193 wins

• Paul Brown - titles 3 NFL 4 AAFC 4 HS 166 wins

• Joe Gibbs - 3 titles 154 wins

• Vince Lombardi - 6 titles 96 wins

• Bill Walsh - 3 titles 92 wins

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kumquat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I chose Mr. Hoody while holding my nose.

Cheating aside, in the league in the current state it is today, it makes his run of dominance even more impressive. People call Brady a system QB and the hoody wrote the damn system. No matter who he gets for players he fields a competitive team. More impressive in this era than any before it.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked Bill Walsh for the obvious reason as you mentioned but also because the team he built around the GOAT Joe Montana was unparalleled as far as I'm concerned and continued on even after his retirement with who I believe was a product of the great system Bill developed, Steve Young....
But I think you have to consider Don Shula the best on the all time list because he holds the record that no one has been able to match in over 40 years....Undefeated to the finish !!!!

You should stick to watching Ellen and The Price is Right. Football eludes you :L

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For life lessons I'll take John Wooden, winning is NOT the only thing.
What Lombardi did better than anybody was get the very best out of players on the field.
I was watching video of QBs from that era the other day and it struck me Bart Starr was damn near mechanically perfect and really ahead of the times in the use of play action.

:wank:

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he'd stayed in The NFL Joe Gibbs might well top this list. He got 3 titles quickly and was likely cheated out of a 4th by Raiders spies. He was great on both offense and defense, but he was a genius on offense.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he'd stayed in The NFL Joe Gibbs might well top this list. He got 3 titles quickly and was likely cheated out of a 4th by Raiders spies. He was great on both offense and defense, but he was a genius on offense.

Also Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs, none of them close to being HOL level players.
If he'd had Montana or Brady he would have likely won at least 1 more title, he left the game in his early 50s.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Super Bowl trophy is called the Vince Lombardi trophy for a reason. Even an avid Cowboys fan like myself concedes that Lombardi is the GOAT.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't specify NFL(though implied)-so Paul " Bear" Bryant

323-85-17 overall,and 6 national championships

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't specify NFL(though implied)-so Paul " Bear" Bryant

323-85-17 overall,and 6 national championships

Saban didn't translate to The NFL, neither would Bear. Their skills were in overwhelming talent and motivating kids.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Brown - in terms of the innovations he brought to the game and of course all the titles and title games.... 10 in a row.

Innovations include:
Film Study
Messenger Guards
Radio in the QB's helmet
Practice Squads
Team Scouting
The Draw Play
Testing players intellect & personality
Modern organization structure Practice, Camp and Classroom

Brown also invented the Cincy offense which later became known as the WCO. Saddled with subpar talent on the Oline and RB with the expansion Bengals, he had to find a way to move the ball with a woeful running attack - thus the short controlled passing attack was born. Bill Walsh later refined it, but it was Brown's Cincy offense he was working with, right down to the terminology.

In a nutshell he basically created the modern game of football, and influenced every coach after him - including Walsh and Lombardi, who attended his camps well before he went onto his own greatness.

Now I'm out of here before mrschaney dry-humps my leg.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown's biggest advancement was building a staff of assistant coaches that is pretty much what we have now.
The man professionalized the sport and won big at every level.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very difficult to say who's the best HC in NFL history....I'd have to say he'd have to be a guy who shifted the course in regards to NFL history. Guys like Sid Gillman, Paul Brown, Tom Landry and Bill Walsh are the first to come to mind.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very difficult to say who's the best HC in NFL history....I'd have to say he'd have to be a guy who shifted the course in regards to NFL history. Guys like Sid Gillman, Paul Brown, Tom Landry and Bill Walsh are the first to come to mind.

Add George Halas to that list.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post and this is exactly how I feel. The topic is about as subjective as a topic could be. Coaching in today's world is nothing like coaching in the 1950's.

BUT....I have no problem with any of the opinions stated here. I'm just glad Landry coached my team. He was a true difference maker when he coached and that is what mattered.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs, none of them close to being HOL level players.
If he'd had Montana or Brady he would have likely won at least 1 more title, he left the game in his early 50s.

Exactly !!! With a gun to my head I say hoody but I had to give Joe Jackson Gibbs a vote :suds:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*cough* I think I put this elsewhere.

Paul Brown is definitely the father of modern football. Everyone is still using his innovations today.
Belichick - the best coach of the last 20 years. Chess over checkers
Don Shula was an excellent coach for longer than anyone. I don't see how anyone breaks his record for total wins

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Super Bowl trophy is called the Vince Lombardi trophy for a reason. Even an avid Cowboys fan like myself concedes that Lombardi is the GOAT.

WTF kind of logic is that? The trophy was named before Belichick coached.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of Joe Gibbs' strengths were he knew & understood people. he knew where & how to put them.
He won superbowls with a lot less than most Championship teams. Hell he won 3 superbowls with three different QBs none of which were great. He switched sports, put a group of people together there, & now has won multiple Championships there. Joe Gibbs is a true leader. As a Cowboys fan, it was a good thing Joe didnt stick around longer.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many "Super Bowls" did Lombardi's teams win?