• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Panthers at Seahawks, 1:25PM PST

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference? Trade down with our #3 or #4 overall pick to #8 or #9, for a 1st and a 2nd rounder... Some team may want to jump into our spot to take a QB... Then Draft defense with our 1st two picks in the 1st round DL first and then LB or Safety second... Then draft another defensive player in the 2nd and use one of the other 2 seconds to get a QB...

I know... Wishful thinking... But I do want defense w/ our 1st two picks...

If Carter or Anderson are there we gotta take him... and if Schneider thinks Stroud or Young (whoever) is available, let's go... I don't want this trade down bullshit if we can get top talent at the position... and after Carter/Anderson/Stroud the talent drops off MAJORLY... only reason I'd be fine with Young is it's Schneider signing off on him.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference? Trade down with our #3 or #4 overall pick to #8 or #9, for a 1st and a 2nd rounder... Some team may want to jump into our spot to take a QB... Then Draft defense with our 1st two picks in the 1st round DL first and then LB or Safety second... Then draft another defensive player in the 2nd and use one of the other 2 seconds to get a QB...

Why not a hybrid SS that is a hitmen

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it’s clear, we’re not a playoff team, today showed that clearly … I’d love to see us sneak in somehow so the young guys can get some playoff experience, but I don’t think it’s gonna happen, our next 3 games are tough

We must MUST MUST.

go 2-1 with 1/2 San Francisco

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's beyond ridiculous Harold...

I know you're getting tired of me bashing Barton... but we have a 4-3 personnel, and we're trying to run this 2-4-5 and 3-4-4 bullshit... and it's NOT going to work until you have the right defenders.. Barton would probably be fine in a true 4-3, so would Brooks, so would basically EVERY OTHER player outside of Nwosu and Harris... it's absolutely the dumbest scheme switch I've seen in NFL history.
If you think removing Barton and replacing him with even a prime Bobby Wagner would remedy this run defense you are dreaming. Barton may not be great, or even good, but the run defense problems go far deeper than just one or two players. There is a scheme problem, a coaching problem (obviously), and some degree of bad luck I imagine. It can hardly be blamed on Barton alone when the Panthers basically tell you they are going to run the ball for the entire fourth quarter and nobody on the defense can do anything to stop them. Barton might be responsible for a missed tackle or two or three, but how about the 3 or 4 or 5 missed tackles after Barton which still allow every run play to go for 7 or 8 yards every play? The secondary seems to be doing ok considering how young they are, but the D-line and linebackers are getting absolutely run over in the run game. All of them, not just Barton.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely a good option, if Jalen Carter is there I’d nab him though, he looks like one of those rare DT’s that could anchor your line for a long time ..

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think removing Barton and replacing him with even a prime Bobby Wagner would remedy this run defense you are dreaming. Barton may not be great, or even good, but the run defense problems go far deeper than just one or two players. There is a scheme problem, a coaching problem (obviously), and some degree of bad luck I imagine. It can hardly be blamed on Barton when the Panther basically tell you they are going to run the ball for the entire fourth quarter and nobody on the defense can do anything to stop them. Barton might be responsible for a missed tackle, but how about the 3 or 4 or 5 missed tackles after Barton which still allow every run play to go for 7 or 8 yards every play? The secondary seems to be doing ok considering how young they are, but the D-line and linebackers are getting absolutely run over in the run game. All of them, not just Barton.

DK I've said numerous times (since PRESEASON, this is not new development) there's a problem with the run defense:

1) First and foremost, it's the scheme.. the 3-4 is not ready in Seattle yet Hurtt and Carroll for some reason want to run it. That's problem #1.
2) Barton, yep - I'm going to stop there.
3) Taylor, yep - another person that has no business in a 3-4 scheme.

I've said numerous times DK that Barton/Taylor do NOT belong in a 3-4 defense and of course in me saying that, WHY THE FUCK IS SEATTLE TRYING TO RUN IT!? I said fire Hurtt early in the season... when he actually (I'm assuming?) read my comments and decided to limit these two fucks during our win streak I thought things were trending up, but it turns out that he was just trolling me.

Not sure what you're saying here... Seattle was never ready for a 3-4 defense and if that's 100% what we wanna go with (which seems to be the case) then SHIP BARTON/TAYLOR out asap... hell even Mafe doesn't fit a 3-4... I mean at this point is it a diversity hire thing? Jesus... I mean if we get a 2nd rounder for putting Hurtt in charge maybe it's worth it... fuck I don't know.

Everyone can see the writing on the wall.. I know it's hard for you and everyone here to agree with that stupid dorsal finned bitch on a bicycle... but I have a major case here.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter is a good player and will be an asset but his best trait is his versatility as he plays both DE and DT. As a DT he more of a 4-3 Tackle at 300 lbs. A lot of his highlights are when he's the DE position.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter is a good player and will be an asset but his best trait is his versatility as he plays both DE and DT. As a DT he more of a 4-3 Tackle at 300 lbs. A lot of his highlights are when he's the DE position.

Georgia plays a DE/NT/DT hybrid D... it's very much what Hurtt (ugh) and Carroll admittedly want to run... Harris will be the DE, they need to find a NT, and Carter will be the DT.. and then they can run all those weaklings at linebacker like they're doing now. I have to imagine even if Seattle had #1 overall they're taking Carter if he's there.... it fits their defensive bullshit 2-4-5/3-4-4 bullshit perfectly.

I'd rather have John identify the QB he wants, fire Carroll/fire Hurtt and just call it a day, but that's not likely to happen.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DK I've said numerous times (since PRESEASON, this is not new development) there's a problem with the run defense:

1) First and foremost, it's the scheme.. the 3-4 is not ready in Seattle yet Hurtt and Carroll for some reason want to run it. That's problem #1.

I've said numerous times DK that Barton/Taylor do NOT belong in a 3-4 defense and of course in me saying that, WHY THE FUCK IS SEATTLE TRYING TO RUN IT!? I said fire Hurtt early in the season... when he actually (I'm assuming?) read my comments and decided to limit these two fucks during our win streak I thought things were trending up, but it turns out that he was just trolling me.

Not sure what you're saying here... Seattle was never ready for a 3-4 defense and if that's 100% what we wanna go with (which seems to be the case) then SHIP BARTON/TAYLOR out asap... hell even Mafe doesn't fit a 3-4... I mean at this point is it a diversity hire thing? Jesus... I mean if we get a 2nd rounder for putting Hurtt in charge maybe it's worth it... fuck I don't know.
All I'm saying is that the problems go beyond 1 or 2 players. Nobody on the D line is able to shed a block. Nobody is able to make a read and be in the right spot when it counts. Nobody on the defensive coaching staff is able to see that what they are doing is fucked and make some effort at adjustments mid game. Our run defense problem are a team problem. Sure, out of the 11 players on the field there will always be a weak link or two, but generally that doesn't impact the entire run defense like it did today. There was really nobody on the defense who made any difference against the run today. Not one guy.

And then there's Carroll's bizarre habit of completely wasting timeouts game after game. He might be a smart football guy, but when it comes to challenges and timeouts he makes some fucked up decisions sometimes.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a guy I'm high on.

Maybe a flyer at 2?

11/18/22: In 2022, Bresee has 12 tackles and 2.5 sacks. He is a solid run defender who needs to improve his pass rush for the NFL. Bresee should go back to Clemson to improve rather than enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone can see the writing on the wall.. I know it's hard for you and everyone here to agree with that stupid dorsal finned bitch on a bicycle... but I have a major case here.

It is just weird that you are so obsessed with Taylor. I'm not saying he's great but at least makes plays occasionally. LJ Collier is in the witness protection program. Mafe has been invisible.

What is clear is that if Harris and Woods are out, we are simply going to get crushed in the running game. Mone and Ford are just not capable of manning the point of attack.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, we’ve given up over 800 yards rushing by our D in the last 4 games, over 200 yards a game on average, that’s so stinking bad

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't take a 3-4 NT with a top pick. If we can draft Carter, we take him without looking back.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is that the problems go beyond 1 or 2 players. Nobody on the D line is able to shed a block. Nobody is able to make a read and be in the right spot when it counts. Nobody on the defensive coaching staff is able to see that what they are doing is fucked and make some effort at adjustments mid game. Our run defense problem are a team problem. Sure, out of the 11 players on the field there will always be a weak link or two, but generally that doesn't impact the entire run defense like it did today. There was really nobody on the defense who made any difference against the run today. Not one guy.

And then there's Carroll's bizarre habit of completely wasting timeouts game after game. He might be a smart football guy, but when it comes to challenges and timeouts he makes some fucked up decisions sometimes.

I honestly think we're saying the same thing. Yah the problems go beyond 1 or 2 players... as I put in the post you quoted me... #1 is a scheme issue... we don't have the personnel (across MULTIPLE positions) to really fit the bill... you're saying that.

We have a 3-4 personnel with a COUPLE players (literally 2 - one of which was injured for a while, Harris) trying to carry a 4-3 suited team for 5 of the 7 positions... oh and the secondary also changes a bit when you're running a 3-4.. because with a 3-4 or 2-4-5 the secondary assignments and zone/tackling coverage areas change...

I'm on the same page as you dk... it's frustrating.... I mean whatever. Let's lose the rest of our games at this point. I am NOT about a losing culture, but we're not winning against KC or SF... just lose the last two, rest the starters, let Geno drive down his value BIG time (he lost a lot of stock today), and let's go to next season.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is just weird that you are so obsessed with Taylor. I'm not saying he's great but at least makes plays occasionally. LJ Collier is in the witness protection program. Mafe has been invisible.

What is clear is that if Harris and Woods are out, we are simply going to get crushed in the running game. Mone and Ford are just not capable of manning the point of attack.

I'm absolutely shocked Collier is still on the team... I thought he'd be cut prior to the season start.

Mafe is EXTREMELY raw. We knew that drafting him. This was not a plug and play guy.. he was meant to sit for a year if anything and we've thrown him out there more than once due to durability issues with the team. What are you talking about, man?

As for Mone/Ford... Mone was a long shot. We should've been starting him WAAAAAAAAAAAY more last year to see what we had, which is not a lot, but the fact we're finding that out NOW is ridiculously poor coaching. As for Ford... he's not a 3-4 DE... he's just not. That's a scheme issue.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

This is also my point for Breeze AND Carter.

If we get BEEF up front . Frees up any Combo of Taylor/ Mafe/ Neal/ Brooks /???????? to play OLB and rush/ Penatre the outside

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

This is also my point for Breeze AND Carter.

If we get BEEF up front . Frees up any Combo of Taylor/ Mafe/ Neal/ Brooks /???????? to play OLB and rush/ Penatre the outside
Breese is who I would want to draft if we did move down to # 8 or #9.... Carter won't be available there but Breese will...