• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you could make any change after the season...

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is a rumor as of now, but I could see that happening. Nothing will be decided until the end of the season

Sorry i mixed things up from what i heard. O'cain retires, Stiney becomes QB coach (doesnt make much sense since he coaches line now) and no news on newsome.

That being said if we were to hire a new OC, would that person get preference over position coaches on his side of the ball?

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry i mixed things up from what i heard. O'cain retires, Stiney becomes QB coach (doesnt make much sense since he coaches line now) and no news on newsome.

That being said if we were to hire a new OC, would that person get preference over position coaches on his side of the ball?

I am completely against having an OC and a seperate QB coach on the same staff. It is counterintuitive to have the person that is calling the plays not to work directly with the people running their offense.

757vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I like Todd Washington the assistant Oline coach for the Ravens ,also former VT player, to coach our OL and as running game coordinator. It only makes sense to have two young coaches, in Washington and Beamer, to help coach up the run game and young RBs. Maybe he influences the offense to being pro style, like "old school" VT

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Todd Washington the assistant Oline coach for the Ravens ,also former VT player, to coach our OL and as running game coordinator. It only makes sense to have two young coaches, in Washington and Beamer, to help coach up the run game and young RBs. Maybe he influences the offense to being pro style, like "old school" VT

I'm with you. You have the right kind of players and O-Line you should be able to line it up and run it down someone's throat. There are teams that still have much success playing that brand of football.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington would be a tremendous upgrade.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
^^^franklin all fuckin day long! I'd rep but .....

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think others were saying for him to be our OC though. If he would come to VT to be an OL coach, and Franklin for the QB and OC, then thats perfect. I just dont think washington would leave the nfl to come back here to be OL coach. Would be regressing if he did.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well he played in the league so he's probably got some money -- plus i think he's the assistant OL coach with the ravens .. his resume isn't padded for sure .. for the right money, i bet he'd come back.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he played in the league so he's probably got some money -- plus i think he's the assistant OL coach with the ravens .. his resume isn't padded for sure .. for the right money, i bet he'd come back.

I was speaking more as an OL coach as well..just stating he had a year or two as OC somewhere, certainly doesn't hurt. Looks like his specialty has been the run game!

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have absolutely zero confidence in frank and/or weaver doing the right thing with our staff. What ive learned about VT, it is unhealthy to ever get your hopes up when it comes to our team and/or program.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I am completely against having an OC and a seperate QB coach on the same staff. It is counterintuitive to have the person that is calling the plays not to work directly with the people running their offense.

There are plenty of examples of OCs not being the primary QB coach. Florida State, Georgia Tech, Boise State, USC just off the top of my head. Texas and Arizona have had success with similar weird OC configurations as we do with multiple OCs at different positions. Ofcourse, Rutgers has the same thing too but has even worse trouble than us.

It only seems counterintuitive because our staff isn't good at it. It can be done but should be up to the OC.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are plenty of examples of OCs not being the primary QB coach. Florida State, Georgia Tech, Boise State, USC just off the top of my head. Texas and Arizona have had success with similar weird OC configurations as we do with multiple OCs at different positions. Ofcourse, Rutgers has the same thing too but has even worse trouble than us.

It only seems counterintuitive because our staff isn't good at it. It can be done but should be up to the OC.

What is the common thread with the 4 schools that you listed? The head coach is the primary play caller for those teams. They might have an OC, but Jimbo, PJ, Peterson, and baby Kiffin are the ones in charge of their respective offenses.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all those hoping for Washington, over the past couple weeks, for work, I've had a few meetings with his dad (super nice guy btw) and we've gotten talking VT football, and I have subtly hinted that it would be awesome to have Todd back at VT and that a lot of fans feel that way, in hopes that the elder Washington might put a bug in his sons ear, maybe Todd will call up Weaver :D

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all those hoping for Washington, over the past couple weeks, for work, I've had a few meetings with his dad (super nice guy btw) and we've gotten talking VT football, and I have subtly hinted that it would be awesome to have Todd back at VT and that a lot of fans feel that way, in hopes that the elder Washington might put a bug in his sons ear, maybe Todd will call up Weaver :D

Attaboy 757!! I nice friendly nudge never hurts!

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Stinespring is demoted to TE coach, which is where I want him to be, or OL does his salary remain the same? I can see him getting demoted but not taking a pay cut

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another person that I hope that we look at for the OC/QB coach position is Tom Herman from Ohio State. He is in his first season at OSU after leading Iowa State's offense for 4 years. He is incredibly smart and is a member of Mensa. He makes a pretty penny (420K) to oversee the offense that Urban calls, so I could see him leaving for a raise while also getting complete control of his offense again. He is another coach that I think will be a HC at some BCS school in the next 5 years.