• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you could make any change after the season...

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way he'd leave. He'll either get a pay raise at Oregon or he'll be their next head coach if Chip Kelly jumps to the NFL after the season, which seems to be the popular rumor.

I agree with you that if Kelly goes to the NFL Oregon will look to make Helfrich their HC, but if he does stay I would make Helfrich an offer that would at least make him consider a move. I'm sure it would take a $750-800k a year offer, but I think Helfrich is absolutely legit and will be a successful HC in the not so distant future.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
doubt we (VT) has that kind of cheddar but bringing that kind of offense to VT with an historically good defense .. We'd be legit contenders inside of a few seasons -- maybe even first season.

As far as the ODU OC goes: I don't think that an air-raid offense would be good long-term for the VT program

off topic:
You know ... I was watching the Alabama game and thinking to myself -- Nick Saban is a great HC (don't care much for him) but what his team does is far from complex. There is nothing fancy at all about their offense (or defense for that matter). They just literally have great athletes/players at EVERY position....2-3 deep.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the most important change coming to VT in the future will be the new AD. Have any names been mentioned for replacing Weaver? I wouldn't mind going after Oliver Luck at WVU (longshot) or Chris Del Conte at TCU.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doubt we (VT) has that kind of cheddar but bringing that kind of offense to VT with an historically good defense .. We'd be legit contenders inside of a few seasons -- maybe even first season.

As far as the ODU OC goes: I don't think that an air-raid offense would be good long-term for the VT program

off topic:
You know ... I was watching the Alabama game and thinking to myself -- Nick Saban is a great HC (don't care much for him) but what his team does is far from complex. There is nothing fancy at all about their offense (or defense for that matter). They just literally have great athletes/players at EVERY position....2-3 deep.

I see what you mean and I am sure the Alabama fans thought the same when they brought in the BSU OC. They had more of a pass heavy offense as well. I think it's all about having a good OC that can adjust to what the HC wants to do and knowing what tools to use in the toolbox so to speak and how to effectively use them.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd agree with that ... I just think that, in most cases, the OC gets to choose (or bring) their system and eventually recruit the athletes for that system. I would be OK with a pro-style offense if we could eventually recruit the OL need to run it effectively (anyone that says that we have in the past needs to look at USC and Alabama) and I just don't think we can. Look at what WVU is doing offensively ... or Clemson ... or (insert about 20 other teams here) ... it's impressive

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
also, I am just going to say this in here and leave it alone for a while:

David Cutcliffe

I like that for several reasons. It works in both the short and long term, and shakes the program up in the way it needs to be shaken.

There is no question that big changes, not little changes, are needed.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"I think it's all about having a good OC that can adjust to what the HC wants to do and knowing what tools to use in the toolbox so to speak and how to effectively use them"

I wouldn't want any input on the offense allowed from Beamer. Looking at the offensive hires of O'Cain, Stinespring, Newsome and if the rumor is true about Shane being the next OC, I see someone incapable of making good decisions on the offensive side of the ball

I would love to know who is behind letting Holmes onto the field. Whoever it is should be kept away from the offense completely and depending on who it is fired as well. That is a serious misevaluation of talent

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to the OP - in my Frank Beamer voice - nothing. we are just a few missed plays away from being 9-0 at this point.

i kid, i kid.

honestly, above all else, i want to see our players get back to giving it their all. leaving it all on the field. at any given point in the season, thus far, it looks like our guys are just lackadaisical, going through the motions, and have zero intensity. We need to get back to the point where all 11 guys on the field are playing the hardest and best they can possibly play. We could have the greatest coaching staff and greatest players in all the land, and if our guys play with the lack of intensity that they have shown this season, we'll still be sitting on a below .500 record

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next AD might be the arkansas AD. He was at VT for a long time prior to getting arkansas Ad job. And i dont want beamer controlling finances to football, or controlling anything with olympic sports

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next AD might be the arkansas AD. He was at VT for a long time prior to getting arkansas Ad job. And i dont want beamer controlling finances to football, or controlling anything with olympic sports

That Beamer to AD rumor better just be a rumor. Worst thing that can happen. When Beamer goes, VT needs a clean break. I am not disrespecting CFB in any way, but there comes a time when both parties need to move on. Giving him the AD job is basically giving him god status. That doesn't work anywhere. No one man is ever bigger than a program. Thank him for his service, give him a statue, name something for him, whatever. Just send him on his way

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
good points and you may be right Matt .. i remember now that arkansas was assistant AD at VT, right? I've also heard the JMU AD mentioned on a number of occasions .. i agree -- not a big fan of CFB becoming AD .. he's not qualified for that just like Shane, IMO, is not qualified to be a head coach of a BCS conference, top 25 program. no disrespect to either of them.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he was. And if the spot were to come open, i dont see why he would rather stay there than come here. And F getting a jmu anything. Thats done nothing but screw us over. And being at jmu does not make u qualified to run a major program.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
a bit off topic .. but speaking of changes next season ...

the Bud Foster to Kentucky rumors have begun .. bahahaha

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My one change would be to crawl on hands and knees to the SEC and beg them for membership.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If bud wants to go, let him. there are plenty of people we could get to run the defense, including someone on our current staff, in torrian gray. Im fine with replacing everyone if need be. New blood is the best blood.

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And i agree with Rockhead.... Lets get our 50 million, and get the hell out of the ACC.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you forgot your #GodsConference hashtag Matt .. :D

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha im glad you guys remember it!

Im moving down south soon enough. Need to get a gig i want first. Anyone got connections in atlanta or nashville?