• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you could make any change after the season...

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should clarify that last comment. If this was just about Shane I'd like him to stay with the RBs. No, I haven't been impressed with him there this year, but I don't want to make a judgement based on one year, either. Especially with the other factors pulling the RBs down... OL play, play calling, WR blocking, etc. And you don't want knee-jerk reactions that could have long-term consequences. But on the other hand Frank is not getting it done on ST anymore, and if we have to find a place for Stiney...

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stiney 4 water/electrolyte enforcement and recruiting coordinator!!!

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to change our record and our results from this season. Something closer to 13-0 with a BCSCG win.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I could change one singular thing I still think it would be to being back "Stick It In." Getting rid of Newsome would be a close second.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scuttlebutt is that Georgia State is interested in Shane Beamer as HC .. That would make the offseason even more interesting.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scuttlebutt is that Georgia State is interested in Shane Beamer as HC .. That would make the offseason even more interesting.

I would actually be happy if Shane got a HC position somewhere and proved himself in that regard...

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah -- Tedford is a pretty stand up guy, hard worker, and if nothing else, a great QB coach.

I think Shane leaving to get some experience as a head coach could be good too, especially in that part of the country. Would hate to see him go and our recruiting could take a big ding .. but a move like that could reap major benefits down the line for VT.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane leaving would not be good for VT. The guy is a beast recruiter.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane leaving would not be good for VT. The guy is a beast recruiter.

No argument that it would hurt recruiting. And part of me thinks maybe that's really the best thing Shane has to offer and we should forget about him ever being a HC and enjoy his recruiting prowess. But another part says that I'm not sure Shane will ever get coordinator experience at VT, and I think he'd be setup to fail if he jumped straight from position coach to VT HC, so iff he ever wants to be the HC at VT, he needs to get coordinator or HC experience somewhere else and prove himself. Save ourselves from the risk of a future AD elevating him to HC without much clue of what they're getting, and him being on a short leash from fans who have justified concern about his lack of experience.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If I could just have one thing in general, regardless of what it takes, I'd want to get the running game back. I talked alot on the ole disney board about the running game back in 06-08 when we were struggling. It's all still true so I'll bring it up again for those who didn't read back then.

If you look at rushing yards per play over the past several years, both total yards per game and points per game correlate. It's no coincidence that our best offenses since 1995 have had 400+ YPG and 31+PPG (96, 99, 00, 03, 10) have also been the best five years in yards per rushing attempt (>4.8). Conversely, the worst (98, 06, 07, 08) have had rushing YPC in the 3s. <Data from Hokiesports 95-12(2012 after 11 games). See charts below>

30agzdc.jpg

16mjvs.jpg

Now the last two seasons have been interesting in that we're at 400 YPG but scoring has declined. This is obviously due to relying on LT more than any quarterback in this 95-present time period. By the end of the season LT will likely have more attempts, completions, and YPG than any quarterback in the time period in both 2011 and 2012. Also, as bad as things seem, he's also on track to break the total offense category in Tech's record book again (assuming 13 games and average per game).

So, whether we like it or not, Frank Beamer teams play better, produce more offense, and win more games when we have a dominate running game. The first change has got to be the run game!

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm all for Shane going out and proving himself. When Frank retires we deserve a coach with HC experience, and if Shane proves himself elsewhere, he'd be a legit candidate. I think our next HC is either not on the current staff or will leave before "coming home".

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt shane will get the HC job at ga state. I mean, theres potential, but there must be guys with better qualifications than him.

But lets day he does get it, itll be great setting up, and expanding a few ties down there for when we are in #GodsConference and have to steal some more GA, FL, SC kids.