• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What 8-10 players (not counting pitchers ) would you keep after the 2023 season

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What 8-10 players (not counting pitchers ) would you keep after the 2023 season.

I could only think of 8 so far. The first 5 were the easiest to pick.

Estrada
Flores
Wade
Davis
Bailey
Sabol
Yaz
Slater

Matos Would be 9 if he is going stay up because I’m hoping he Is going to be very good one day.

I just took out the dodger reference out of respect to any baseball fan.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What 8-10 players (not counting pitchers ) would you keep after the 2023 season.

I could only think of 8 so far. The first 5 were the easiest to pick.

Estrada
Flores
Wade
Davis
Bailey
Sabol
Yaz
Slater

Matos Would be 9 if he is going stay up because I’m hoping he Is going to be very good one day.

I just took out the dodger reference out of respect to any baseball fan.
I think this really depends on the group we are looking at. Limiting it to the current active roster (28 man roster), there are 14 position players on that list. Three of them will be free agents at season's end. I'm good with all three of them walking (or retiring). I'll give the list of 8:

Bailey
Flores
Yastrzemski
Estrada
Wade
Davis
Matos
Slater

I'm just not that impressed with Sabol. I expected a little bit more from him offensively. I'd rather have Bart as the backup catcher and Sabol's bat isn't enough to play outfield. I think he should start 2024 (barring injuries) in Sacramento.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of position players actively on the team, not in minors, the only ones I feel strongly about keeping are

Estrada
Bailey
Matos

They are the only ones likely to contribute when this team is a legit contender. Although I like Slater, Davis, Flores, I just don't see them being strong contributors 2-5yrs out.

Pretty much everyone else is interchangeable with any 'B' level players the Giants could pick up.

If we need another year of two of churn to figure out who's going to stick, so be it. Clear salaries and pursue prospects. Fill out the rest of the roster with good clubhouse mentors who will yo-you to Sac in order for youth to be evaluated/developed.

Not gonna happen, but that's been my position for a while

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of position players actively on the team, not in minors, the only ones I feel strongly about keeping are

Estrada
Bailey
Matos

They are the only ones likely to contribute when this team is a legit contender. Although I like Slater, Davis, Flores, I just don't see them being strong contributors 2-5yrs out.

Pretty much everyone else is interchangeable with any 'B' level players the Giants could pick up.

If we need another year of two of churn to figure out who's going to stick, so be it. Clear salaries and pursue prospects. Fill out the rest of the roster with good clubhouse mentors who will yo-you to Sac in order for youth to be evaluated/developed.

Clearing current salaries are just cleaning messes that have been created since FZ came on board. This plan amplifies the fact that FZ has not progressed in his FIVE YEARS in the org. You are proposing we rebuild to clear out his own buildup of errors.

Ignoring blame and personalities, I think that is needed. It just pisses me off that we are no further ahead now than we were when he got here (not significantly further ahead, at least). Such a WASTED 5 years.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Estrada
Bailey
Matos

Position Players on the 40 and not in minors:

Bailey
Sabol
Estrada
LWJ
Matos
Yaz

so, six.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearing current salaries are just cleaning messes that have been created since FZ came on board. This plan amplifies the fact that FZ has not progressed in his FIVE YEARS in the org. You are proposing we rebuild to clear out his own buildup of errors.

Ignoring blame and personalities, I think that is needed. It just pisses me off that we are no further ahead now than we were when he got here (not significantly further ahead, at least). Such a WASTED 5 years.
I respect your opinion here, but I disagree. The minor leagues are stronger than they literally have EVER been. We are starting to see the fruits of the investment. We'll see if we produce some stars or need to trade for them.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Position Players on the 40 and not in minors:

Bailey
Sabol
Estrada
LWJ
Matos
Yaz

so, six.
Sabol is a journeyman-type
Wade and Yaz are dime-a-dozen players.

None of them are difference makers and are, in effect, just roster-fillers.

I agree with Stan. Bailey, Matos and Estrada are keepers. Add Schmitt and Lucy as cuppos not currently in the Bigs.

Thats it.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

He is 31 and already getting ravaged by injuries. He will be LONG gone by the time this team is competitive.
I could be wrong, but I thought this exercise is what 8 to 10 position players would you build the 2024 squad around. Thus why I picked Flores. And this feels weird because I wasn't that keen on bringing him back in 2023. He is going cold now but he's been red hot for long enough that he needs to be the full time DH next year (injuries being yet another reason for him to be DH only).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabol is a journeyman-type
Wade and Yaz are dime-a-dozen players.

None of them are difference makers and are, in effect, just roster-fillers.

I agree with Stan. Bailey, Matos and Estrada are keepers. Add Schmitt and Lucy as cuppos not currently in the Bigs.

Thats it.
Yaz is a 2.5-3.0 WAR player. Those guys are solid MLB starters. Not a 'dime a dozen.'

LWJ is the same.

Sabol I'm unwilling to give up on just yet. Very good bat-to-ball skills and command of the zone. Some power, some speed. I'd keep him. I need another year to evaluate.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

He is 31 and already getting ravaged by injuries. He will be LONG gone by the time this team is competitive.
He's another 2.5-3.0 WAR player. If we can DH him next year at a reasonable price, I'd bring him back.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My picks were based on many different possibilities.

One of them being who can we replace let’s say for instance Crawford ? Quite few really at this point, so that is why he is not on my list.

Davis, well although his production has dipped quite a bit, who do we have to replace ? Do we have a ready 3rd baseman ready by next year ? Will they give us the production be has this year at least ? If not then we are going to suffer from that position in 2024. And yes we have Flores but most don’t have him on their list. And we do have Estrada but he also covers other infield positions. Which makes some of our players more valuable because of their versatility.

So those our some of my professional opinions on this thread.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

Uhh… I guess you didn’t hear. Giants are going to be in the playoffs next year. Flores will be needed to help us get to the promised land.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this really depends on the group we are looking at. Limiting it to the current active roster (28 man roster), there are 14 position players on that list. Three of them will be free agents at season's end. I'm good with all three of them walking (or retiring). I'll give the list of 8:

Bailey
Flores
Yastrzemski
Estrada
Wade
Davis
Matos
Slater

I'm just not that impressed with Sabol. I expected a little bit more from him offensively. I'd rather have Bart as the backup catcher and Sabol's bat isn't enough to play outfield. I think he should start 2024 (barring injuries) in Sacramento.
I can see the hesitation on Sabol, but I see him being an upgrade over Bart. Bart also had Posey to learn from but I don’t see many improvements with his ability to even be our backup catcher.

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going to come back since the Giants have him signed through 2024 with a team option for 2025.
:surprised: How do you know these things ? You must have lunch with their agents.

More please. Like who else do we have locked up ? Team options… etc

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, but I thought this exercise is what 8 to 10 position players would you build the 2024 squad around. Thus why I picked Flores. And this feels weird because I wasn't that keen on bringing him back in 2023. He is going cold now but he's been red hot for long enough that he needs to be the full time DH next year (injuries being yet another reason for him to be DH only).
Very well. For NEXT year, yes, he is near the top of the list.

Reactions: LHG