• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you could make any change after the season...

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What would it be? Be careful and think of all aspects (recruiting,relationships,etc). What would you change. Keep it civil (remember who reads these boards) but lets hear it.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsome. Our offense will struggle regardless of who is running it or who is calling plays as long as our O-line is constantly getting blown up.

Cane

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, maybe recruit a OL to play QB. Since the TE recruit isnt doint so well at QB.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pick one offensive formation and run different sets out of it. Having all these different "wrinkles" just screams "jack of all trades, master of none". Also find ways to get JC 15+ touches a game. He is our most dynamic player on offense but he's lightly used. And stick with one punt returner- Jarrett.

Sorry that's more than one, but those things bother me the most.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Newsome. Our offense will struggle regardless of who is running it or who is calling plays as long as our O-line is constantly getting blown up.

+1. I think you hit the nail on the head. Offense and Defense is usually only going to be as good as the guys in the trenches. Stellar athletes at QB and RB have covered up the offensive line woes for awhile now. That's not to say the OL for the last 5-7 years have been atrocious, but simply, just inconsistent and not good enough. There are very few 4-5* OL that come out of VA, letting them go OOS (and even worse to the other VA school) is simply unacceptable. OL recruits need to be 270+ when they step on campus..no more recruiting 250lb linemen. Most of these guys are not built for the position (mentally or physically) and cannot add the weight to get up to 300+lbs.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL recruits need to be 270+ when they step on campus..no more recruiting 250lb linemen. Most of these guys are not built for the position (mentally or physically) and cannot add the weight to get up to 300+lbs.
It has much less to do with weight and more to do with fundamentals and execution than you think. I mean look at Alabama two deep at oline below. While its true they have a pretty big tackle and guard, 3 of the interior OL are pretty typical size we see at Virginia Tech and they do fine. Look at some of the backups, they're going to smaller next year.
OT 71 Cyrus Kouandjio | 6-6, 311, SO
63 Kellen Williams | 6-3, 303, JR

OG 65 Chance Warmack | 6-3, 320, SR
78 Chad Lindsay | 6-2, 290, SO

C 75 Barrett Jones | 6-5, 302, SR
70 Ryan Kelly | 6-5, 288, RS FR

OG 61 Anthony Steen | 6-3, 303, JR
77 Arie Kouandjio | 6-5, 310, SO

OT 76 D.J. Fluker | 6-6, 335, JR
79 Austin Shepherd | 6-5, 312, SO

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, I am just going to say this in here and leave it alone for a while:

David Cutcliffe

Ha, you know how to start a rumor/shit storm don't you 46 :thumb:

Just speculating since you didn't provide any details on your thoughts..but, as an eventually head coach after Beamer's departure??? Hell yes I say! He would be a good get.

He is almost 10 years younger than Beamer, so I would say he would have enough time to change it up. I would take that hire for sure. Not sure if he will be available by the time that happens and not sure he would be interested (I would say..yes). I am really surprised he has been at Duke as long as he has. Now..I would say definitely not, even with a CIW tag, which I don't think would happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has much less to do with weight and more to do with fundamentals and execution than you think.

Oh. I don't disagree croc..it is quite obvious to me that Newsome cannot develop OL despite having a few very good players to work with over the years. I was just saying "true" OL coming straight out of high school are what we need..280-300 lb guys that can compete, play (in mop up), practice, and don't need to learn everything about being an OL..guys who have already been successful to a great degree. Not guys who need to add 50lbs (in a grey-shirt and redshirt season) and learn how to transition from a pass catcher to an OT. We have had some decent OLines..but none that could take us to the next level. I have my doubts that this will ever happen behind CN. Very few top tier OL (even Virginians) wanted to come play for him (Moses, Massie, Turner to name a few) and the few he has gotten he couldn't do very much with (Painter is the first one to come to mind, despite being pretty good DeChristopher should have been better too).

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No rumor or anything just a thought. I really like his style and classiness. He reminds me Beamer about 15 years ago.

Yep. The offensive philosophy would change drastically under someone like him.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
-Newsome out.

-Stiney given a position.

-Bring in an OC.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not guys who need to add 50lbs (in a grey-shirt and redshirt season) and learn how to transition from a pass catcher to an OT.
None of the TEs we converted to oline (no former HS TE's on the oline this year) were pass catchers. They were mainly blockers who went out for a pass every once in a while and were recruited almost exclusively as offensive linemen. I'd like 280+ lb linemen out of HS too but coaching is the much bigger problem here.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also just don't see Stiney being demoted. Keep him as OC or fire him. You can't really go in between. If we have a new OC, we need to give him the freedom to fill his staff with who he wants and not shackle him to existing staff.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the TEs we converted to oline (no former HS TE's on the oline this year) were pass catchers. They were mainly blockers who went out for a pass every once in a while and were recruited almost exclusively as offensive linemen. I'd like 280+ lb linemen out of HS too but coaching is the much bigger problem here.

I agree that coaching is a bigger problem than the talent on the OL, but VT has had very little top tier talent there either. Chalk it up to technique or whatever, but when it comes to being a straight up baller and mowing over people in the run game, that can't really be taught IMO. The bigger, better, and badder players win those battles 90% of the time. Newsome's lack of putting players in the NFL certainly doesn't help recruitment either. I guess if you leave an average coach there , eventually the players will be the same. They go hand in hand.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I also just don't see Stiney being demoted. Keep him as OC or fire him. You can't really go in between. If we have a new OC, we need to give him the freedom to fill his staff with who he wants and not shackle him to existing staff.

I would've agreed with you until I saw the new "positions" that Hite and Cav are in...if Beamer could be as creative in offensive gameplanning as he is with keeping his buddies hooked up....Stiney will be around in some capacity..which I'm ok with .. As long as its not the offensive coordinator.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree about not shackling a new HC that wants to bring in his staff, but an OC is brought in to implement a new system. I would be fine if the OC had a say in the new OL coach as that hire could impact the system he wants to run.