• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If you could make any change after the season...

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lift ban on 'Stick It In.'

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Beamer could never make himself ask Stinespring to take a pay cut let alone make him. He loves Stinespring I mean absolutely LOVES him. The scary thing is that I think Beamer actually thinks Stinespring is doing a good job. So even if the miracle of a Stinespring move actually happened he'd still be making a coordinators pay for being a good recruiter. I believe that was the main reason Stinespring was promoted to OC in the first place...as a reward for good recruiting. Still I think Beamer thought he could do the job and either still thinks he is or can't make himself change things up. Either way it's a bad sign

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beamer could never make himself ask Stinespring to take a pay cut let alone make him. He loves Stinespring I mean absolutely LOVES him. The scary thing is that I think Beamer actually thinks Stinespring is doing a good job. So even if the miracle of a Stinespring move actually happened he'd still be making a coordinators pay for being a good recruiter. I believe that was the main reason Stinespring was promoted to OC in the first place...as a reward for good recruiting. Still I think Beamer thought he could do the job and either still thinks he is or can't make himself change things up. Either way it's a bad sign
I'm not saying you're wrong fooz but I think some of you guys need to take what coaches say to the media with a grain of salt. For example, if the VT football team played a team of old ladies in a game of tackle football, Beamer would say that they played a good football team.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Beamer did say once that they had a tough schedule this year. So he is either insane or he's trying to pump everybody up

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
99.9% of what Beamer says is just coach speak, it drives some fans f-ing crazy. I used to be one of those people then at some point I just started to recognize it for what it is.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep defensive staff intact completely

hire an actual offensive coordinator (la techs guy)

move stiney to o-line
get rid of newsome and o'caine
new qb coach, get a tight ends coach
hire new running backs coach
move shane to special teams coach

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Fire O'Cain

-Fire Stinespring. I don't want to here the "he's a good recruiter nonsense" for two reasons. One, Shane has already proved his worth so far in that area. And two, you know what else is a good recruiter? Coherent offenses.

-Fire Newsome

-Hire a special teams coach

-Make Beamer essentially a figurehead coach. All he does is administrative duties until his contract runs out.

-Have a turkey leg delivery service during games.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- Fire Newsome (we all agree) & give Stinespring control only of the TE position
Option 1: spend some money and make Greg Roman OL / OC Coach from Stanford. He coaches our old school brand of offense.
Option 2: offer an up and comer the OL position like a Travis Mikel (D2). Then offer OC position to ODU OC.
- Fire OcCain, go out and pickup up and comer as QB Coach from quality highschool who has ties to somewhere that we need to access to like Bayside
- Keep Defensive staff in tact for now
- As someone previously said, have Frank relinquish control over Special Teams and give his son a try at it. SB has coached various positions in the past and I think he will spend some much needed time and love in this area of the game for VT. Best of all can keep the BeamerBall brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mentioned this guy before, but I would do whatever it took to get Oregon's OC/QB coach Mark Helfrich. He is a well rounded coach that runs the best offense in college football and was mentored by Dirk Koetter who runs one of the best offenses in the NFL.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
holy shitburger...seriously??

Bryan Stinespring $349,980
---
Mark Helfrich, offensive coordinator
2011 salary: $280,833.
New contract: $350,833 in 2012 and $367,583 in 2013.
Original contract: $310,833 in 2012 and $325,833 in 2013.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...spend some money and make Greg Roman OL / OC Coach from Stanford. He coaches our old school brand of offense.
...offer an up and comer the OL position like a Travis Mikel (D2). Then offer OC position to ODU OC.

I want to say that Roman may have followed Harbaugh to SF. Don't know much about Mikel, and it may be a bit too early to pull the trigger on anyone from the lower levels of CB (that's not to say there aren't some fantastic coaches there)unless they have a proven lengthy history of being a very good coach. Someone would really have to do their homework before making that hire. There are plenty of good OC in D1, that has a proven history of success. VT may be hard pressed to lure someone from a BCS conference (not named Big East), but there should be plenty of guys from the MAC, C-Usa, Sun Belt. etc.

I know we are going back in time a little bit..but what about a Blacksburg return for Kevin Rogers? I would consider that an upgrade at OC and he is as good a QB as there is. Maybe we need an another infusion of youth though (instead of going blast in the past)???

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Todd Washington's name has come up several times. I like it. He's an alumni, played in the league, and brings instant credibility because of that. He's up and coming so I doubt we'd have to pay him Stanford money to get him << I could see this happening if Newsome is cut loose and if Stiney isn't "demoted" to the OL.

OCs ?? There are plenty of good options .. some riskier/less expensive than others.

Read this post over on virginiatechfan.com that .. frankly .. I wasn't happy to be reading. If there is any truth to the rumors that VTF has heard, I'm not crazy about it.

Virginia Tech Fan Message Board - Login

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
holy shitburger...seriously??

Bryan Stinespring $349,980
---
Mark Helfrich, offensive coordinator
2011 salary: $280,833.
New contract: $350,833 in 2012 and $367,583 in 2013.
Original contract: $310,833 in 2012 and $325,833 in 2013.

I can't wait until Stinespring is forced to get a job somewhere besides VT. If it's anytime soon it will validate all the criticism he's received because he won't get another OC offer unless it's at a FCS school or lower. If he's given 10 more years of on-the-job training who knows maybe even he could get good at it. But if he had to go searching now it would be a real eye opener for Beamer and the fans who back his every move. Beamer needs to get schooled because he thinks he knows the game inside and out. Hopefully this year is showing him the error of his ways

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You know another problem that has come from Stinespring debacle? Beamer has to put 2 of his coaches in the booth calling plays so that's one less on the sideline talking to the players. From the looks of it this team needs motivation in a bad way. Not that I think O'Cain could do much but Stinespring could. That is the one thing besides recruiting that Stinesprings brings. Energy

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mentioned this guy before, but I would do whatever it took to get Oregon's OC/QB coach Mark Helfrich. He is a well rounded coach that runs the best offense in college football and was mentored by Dirk Koetter who runs one of the best offenses in the NFL.

No way he'd leave. He'll either get a pay raise at Oregon or he'll be their next head coach if Chip Kelly jumps to the NFL after the season, which seems to be the popular rumor.

Todd Washington's name has come up several times. I like it. He's an alumni, played in the league, and brings instant credibility because of that. He's up and coming so I doubt we'd have to pay him Stanford money to get him << I could see this happening if Newsome is cut loose and if Stiney isn't "demoted" to the OL.

OCs ?? There are plenty of good options .. some riskier/less expensive than others.

Read this post over on virginiatechfan.com that .. frankly .. I wasn't happy to be reading. If there is any truth to the rumors that VTF has heard, I'm not crazy about it.

Virginia Tech Fan Message Board - Login

I don't have an account there so I can't read it. What's the link say?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't have an account there so I can't read it. What's the link say?

Here is what the link said:

Had an interesting conversation today with a member of my family that's plugged into the situation within the Athletic Department. Now, this is by no way 100% official so take it with a grain of salt.

Basically, some of the changes that have been mentioned will likely take place after the end of the season. But, there could be a huge announcement coming either at the end of this season or the end of next season (2013-2014). Basically, that announcement will be Frank Beamer giving an end date to his coaching career and taking over for Jim Weaver as Athletic Director at Virginia Tech. Weaver, of course, has Parkinson's disease so that timing will be based on his health. Weaver wants to work until he's 70 but, for those of you who are knowledgeable of that disease, it's tough to truly put a date on anything. It's a truly horrific disease.

Why is this big news, well it could happen as early as this off-season. If so, look for Shane Beamer to be promoted to Offensive Coordinator (with Stiney keeping his tag as assistant OC) and then he would become head coach once Beamer retires and moves into his AD role.

Some may ask why not Foster but Foster's personnel life will keep him from ever being a Head Coach at a "BCS" level school. His divorce from his wife and the affair he had with a member of the Athletic Department really burned some people the wrong way, especially Jim Weaver and President Steger. The odds of him becoming a Head Coach is 0%.

Like I said, take this with a grain of salt but it was certainly an interesting conversation.

I for one truly hope that this is only a rumor, I do not think Shane has the experience to be an OC. I think the best route would to go get an up and coming OC from an FCS school, such as ODU's OC.