• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andruw Jones...HOF or not???

Is Andruw Jones a Hall of Famer

• Yes

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Tater Salad

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yes. Best defensive CF Ive ever seen. Should have won the MVP in 05(He carried that team to the playoffs)

He was on track for certain as a few have mentioned, but he tailed off too much after leaving ATL to be a HOFer.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great player that never struck me as a HOF'er

Without looking at the numbers, i would guess not enough great years...Some great years, and some years hanging on where he was pretty average
Pretty much a 9-year prime where you could argue that only Bonds and A-Rod were better. Now that's putting a lot of stock into defensive metrics. And while no one should question how great of a defensive CFer he was, the question is how much value was there in his defense. Outside of that, he only had 2 full seasons where he was still great defensively, but below average offensively.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much a 9-year prime where you could argue that only Bonds and A-Rod were better. Now that's putting a lot of stock into defensive metrics. And while no one should question how great of a defensive CFer he was, the question is how much value was there in his defense. Outside of that, he only had 2 full seasons where he was still great defensively, but below average offensively.

Amazing defensively, but HOF voters wont vote him in unless his offensive numbers meet certain benchmarks, 500HRs, 3000 Hits, etc.etc.etc.etc......Thats what i would think, but than again, Ozzie Smith is in the Hall

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing defensively, but HOF voters wont vote him in unless his offensive numbers meet certain benchmarks, 500HRs, 3000 Hits, etc.etc.etc.etc......Thats what i would think, but than again, Ozzie Smith is in the Hall
Well I think a more interesting discussion will be if we think he should be in, not whether or not the BBWAA thinks he should go in.

And all 3 guys who are being inducted this year have neither of those benchmarks.

And while I get the Ozzie comparison, I think we should recognize that Ozzie was a better player than Jones and was deservedly 1st ballot.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think a more interesting discussion will be if we think he should be in, not whether or not the BBWAA thinks he should go in.

And all 3 guys who are being inducted this year have neither of those benchmarks.

And while I get the Ozzie comparison, I think we should recognize that Ozzie was a better player than Jones and was deservedly 1st ballot.

Just looked at his numbers, 434 HR's......Some better numbers than I thought...Lifetime .250 hitter may not help

At the end of the day, I, ok with it, cause I probably weigh more his amazing defensive ability, than the voters will

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked at his numbers, 434 HR's......Some better numbers than I thought...Lifetime .250 hitter may not help

At the end of the day, I, ok with it, cause I probably weigh more his amazing defensive ability, than the voters will
Yeah I'm fine either way, I won't be as adamant as I was about Bagwell's induction when a lot of people were calling him "borderline".

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm fine either way, I won't be as adamant as I was about Bagwell's induction when a lot of people were calling him "borderline".

Bagwell and Piazza for that matter, were strictly about the "suspicion" of steroids, which was totally ridiculous......Not because they werent using, Im sure they were, but we cant get to the point where "suspicion" keeps you out

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is "no." He's not a hall of famer, doesn't matter how close he might be.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up a Braves and Cubs fan (thanks TBS and WGN), I think he is definitely one of, if not, the best defensive outfielders to ever play the game. His power would've been fine if not for his BA. While he played in the juiced era, there isn't any hard evidence that he was on it, even though many in this thread believe he did.

He's a player that is borderline and it wouldn't faze me if he was let in or left out. I think he'll be left out and in that discussion of the best that never made the HOF.

Still one of the only players to make an extremely difficult play look routine and could turn and run better than anyone else I've ever seen. Probably could've been an NFL CB with that ability alone.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up a Braves and Cubs fan (thanks TBS and WGN), I think he is definitely one of, if not, the best defensive outfielders to ever play the game. His power would've been fine if not for his BA. While he played in the juiced era, there isn't any hard evidence that he was on it, even though many in this thread believe he did.

He's a player that is borderline and it wouldn't faze me if he was let in or left out. I think he'll be left out and in that discussion of the best that never made the HOF.

Still one of the only players to make an extremely difficult play look routine and could turn and run better than anyone else I've ever seen. Probably could've been an NFL CB with that ability alone.

There isn't any evidence he juiced PERIOD..none. There isn't even an accusation he might have, just some goobers on a message board creating a rumor.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The answer to the question I posted what does Andruw have in common with Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Junior and Mike Schmidt ?
The answer, they are the only players in MLB history to have at least 400 HRs and 10 gold gloves.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't any evidence he juiced PERIOD..none. There isn't even an accusation he might have, just some goobers on a message board creating a rumor.

Exactly. However, many others will hold any player available for the HOF in suspicion just because they played in the mid-90s to mid-00s era. Andruw Jones has had NO links to PEDs thus far, but there are still many that see his HR outburst to be indicative. I disagree, but if there are those that think that way in the general public, I imagine there would be some voters that may think likewise. Justifiable? Not in my opinion, but mine is not one that counts.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer to the question I posted what does Andruw have in common with Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Junior and Mike Schmidt ?
The answer, they are the only players in MLB history to have at least 400 HRs and 10 gold gloves.

Not sure why you quoted my post regarding your response, but he is in selective company based on those numbers. His career BA is what is making it borderline in my opinion.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was on track for certain as a few have mentioned, but he tailed off too much after leaving ATL to be a HOFer.

Middle infielders and catchers tend to get more credit for defense if they were not great hitters. Outfielders, even CF-ers, tend to get less credit from the Hall voters for defense if some of their offensive numbers were lacking. I don't think they will overlook Jones' .254 BA (the byproduct of a huge decline after his age 29 season) and his falling short of 2,000 hits (he had 1,933).

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yes. Best defensive CF Ive ever seen. Should have won the MVP in 05(He carried that team to the playoffs)
no

about 100 of his home runs and about 270 of his RBI came in garbage time of his carer after 30.

does a .263 avg, a.839 OPS, 1600 hits and 368 HR get him in? those were his numbers thru age 30.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no

about 100 of his home runs and about 270 of his RBI came in garbage time of his carer after 30.

does a .263 avg, a.839 OPS, 1600 hits and 368 HR get him in? those were his numbers thru age 30.

Tend to lean in that direction as well

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tend to lean in that direction as well
great defensive CFer...arguably the best our our generation (tough to pry him and griffey away from eachother). we have seen a lot of greats...lofton, jones, mariano rivera...

oops...

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Al Kaline.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great defensive CFer...arguably the best our our generation (tough to pry him and griffey away from eachother). we have seen a lot of greats...lofton, jones, mariano rivera...

oops...

LOL

I just noticed your avatar