• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Giants trades since 1990

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you got?

Bonser, Nathan, Liriano for Pierzynski? Borderline HOFer, solid SP, solid bully arm for abso-fucking-lutely nothing but negative vibes.
Reynolds, Crick for McCutchen? Perpetual all-star and a decent bully arm for 1 year of a washed up has been in a non competitive season.
Duvall, Mella for Leake? Multiple time all-star and power hitting, defensive outfielder for, well, not much.
Duffy, Fox for Moore? Fan favorite and YOUNG kid who has lost a lot of prospect sheen, but still has potential for one EPIC start against the doggies.
Wheeler for Beltran? A CY level pitcher (who really didn’t become such for another 10 years or so post-trade) for a few months of decent numbers, but he got hurt first and by the time he started posting numbers, it was too little, too late.

There aren’t many out there, but the ones that are there are DOOZIES.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young wippersnaper .... for us older gents ... the worst trade ever (emotionally) .... was ......

Bobby Bonds. .... for ..... Bobby Mercer

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young wippersnaper .... for us older gents ... the worst trade ever (emotionally) .... was ......

After 1990 ... has to be the Pierzynski trade ...he had talent ... but what negative energy source ...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You also have Cepeda/Sadecki. Though Sadecki was actually pretty good, the Bull was the Bull.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 1990 ... has to be the Pierzynski trade ...he had talent ... but what negative energy source ...
The McCutchen trade has the potential to be in that class, though.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did we get for George Foster ?
pachyderm, a little history on this group that may help you. Most of us (not all, but most) were on the ESPN boards back in the 00s (I was a little joiner in 2008). There were a lot of posters back then and many came armed with a lot of knowledge about stats and history on this team and the players on it (as well as in general). Not everyone saw eye to eye, and there were some trolls there, but the unwritten rule was that, if you have an argument or perspective that you shared, you needed to be ready to back it up with facts and stats. Otherwise, you would get eaten alive.
When this group migrated over to the hoop, most of the trolls got left behind but the need for stats and research was built in and became almost second nature for many board members. Unfortunately, the group has thinned out considerably over the years.

If you want to know a little bit more about this group (what's left of it), then check out these threads:

Also, it may be good to go back to the very first posts on this forum (not the entire SportsHoopla, just the Giants forum) to see how the threads used to go. It would give you a good perspective on how the few cranky posters who are still on here operate.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaahhh you’re assholes

Ya know I was just making conversation

My bad

I actually thought one might know off the top of your head

O well

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. Do some research once in a while. We are not your dog, so stop stop trying to get us to fetch your data.
On May 29, 1971, the Giants traded Foster to the Reds for shortstop Frank Duffy and pitcher Vern Geishert. The trade turned out to be vastly one-sided in favor of Cincinnati. Ok I’m

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any time you trade a bunch of young kids for a rental old player and dont win the championship that has to be #1. We have done it way too many times in recent times. Zack Wheeler was looking great as a prospect and we were out of the playoffs due to Posey's injury. They panicked and then made a stupid trade. AJ for 2 future great players was second, but AJ was young and played well even if he was an ass.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any time you trade a bunch of young kids for a rental old player and dont win the championship that has to be #1. We have done it way too many times in recent times. Zack Wheeler was looking great as a prospect and we were out of the playoffs due to Posey's injury. They panicked and then made a stupid trade. AJ for 2 future great players was second, but AJ was young and played well even if he was an ass.
Wheeler wasn’t shit for almost 10 years after the trade. I have absolutely zero issue with that trade. Even in hindsight.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaahhh you’re assholes

Ya know I was just making conversation

My bad

I actually thought one might know off the top of your head

O well
My response wasn't meant to offend. Sorry if it came across that way. And no, I didn't know the answer off the top of my head.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wheeler wasn’t shit for almost 10 years after the trade. I have absolutely zero issue with that trade. Even in hindsight.
I disagree on this one. He showed some promise with the Mets in 2013 and 2014. Then came the two year layoff due to injuries and the rust laden season of 2017. Things didn't look good through 3 years but he started to pitch better in 2018 and has really taken off since joining Philly. It took awhile to get to his peak but his first years were pretty solid. Much better than how I interpret your statement that he was barely worthy of being a 5th starter. I'd say a solid number 3 guy before the injury.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree on this one. He showed some promise with the Mets in 2013 and 2014. Then came the two year layoff due to injuries and the rust laden season of 2017. Things didn't look good through 3 years but he started to pitch better in 2018 and has really taken off since joining Philly. It took awhile to get to his peak but his first years were pretty solid. Much better than how I interpret your statement that he was barely worthy of being a 5th starter. I'd say a solid number 3 guy before the injury.
Soooo…

He didn’t actually pitch well until 8 years after the trade…

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo…

He didn’t actually pitch well until 8 years after the trade…
Are you saying that he was only a loss to the org if he pitched like a number 1? His 2013 and 2014 numbers suggest the Giants could have used him then.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that he was only a loss to the org if he pitched like a number 1? His 2013 and 2014 numbers suggest the Giants could have used him then.
He had a half season of good pitching in ‘13 and a full season as a solid #3 SP in ‘14.

He then missed all of ‘15 and ‘16, and pitched a half season of bad baseball in ‘17. Then in ‘18 he started pitching consistently well.

so he had 1 good season in 6 years after the trade. That is a LOT of waiting and continued investment. We got the top hitter on the market (maybe next to Pence whom the Phil’s paid a kings ransom for) who actually hit well for us (granted, only after he got hurt and we were already essentially out of contention).

6 years is a LONG time to wait for a pitcher to arrive. Especially when he helped derail some decent Mets teams because they were counting on him to arrive and he didn’t.

I stand behind it being a decent trade at the time, and a decent trade in retrospect.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had a half season of good pitching in ‘13 and a full season as a solid #3 SP in ‘14.

He then missed all of ‘15 and ‘16, and pitched a half season of bad baseball in ‘17. Then in ‘18 he started pitching consistently well.

so he had 1 good season in 6 years after the trade. That is a LOT of waiting and continued investment. We got the top hitter on the market (maybe next to Pence whom the Phil’s paid a kings ransom for) who actually hit well for us (granted, only after he got hurt and we were already essentially out of contention).

6 years is a LONG time to wait for a pitcher to arrive. Especially when he helped derail some decent Mets teams because they were counting on him to arrive and he didn’t.

I stand behind it being a decent trade at the time, and a decent trade in retrospect.
I guess we'll just disagree on this one. I thought it was a bad trade then and still think it was a bad trade now.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll just disagree on this one. I thought it was a bad trade then and still think it was a bad trade now.
Fair enough. I think you have every right in the world to be wrong. I love to to see you exercising your rights.

:boink:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Wheeler was a young kid When traded. He had only one year with a higher than 4 era in his career. Much better than 3 months of a old player that sucked so bad that they didn't even bother resigning.