• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will refs slow down the HUNH offenses this year?

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should take about 10 seconds for the refs to get in position...

:bolt:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of surprised to see this from you, even if you are a HUNH homer.

Isn't there a huge difference between taking 30+ seconds to meander down the field and simply saying they shouldn't have to exhaust themselves to try and keep up with 18-22y/o athletes simply because they want them to?

My point is who should be directing the game? the refs or the teams playing it? they are there to keep order and enforce rules, not dictate how the game is played.
when there are no calls people say let them play. If the team on offense is ready, let them play.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is who should be directing the game? the refs or the teams playing it? they are there to keep order and enforce rules, not dictate how the game is played.
when there are no calls people say let them play. If the team on offense is ready, let them play.

I'm betting you don't realize you are inadvertently making a case to return to the 25 second play clock, which would be detrimental to your HUNH offense.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So you dont agree that the refs should be set and ready before the ball is snapped. Cant this work against you as well? If the defense jumps offsides and isnt seen because the refs are out of place and the play goes for a sack, who loses?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of surprised to see this from you, even if you are a HUNH homer.

Isn't there a huge difference between taking 30+ seconds to meander down the field and simply saying they shouldn't have to exhaust themselves to try and keep up with 18-22y/o athletes simply because they want them to?

the refs know what they sign on for. they know they could get trucked by a 18-22 year old who is in far better shape, bigger, faster, stronger than they are. If they can be physically prepared for that why cant they be physically prepared to run up and down the field too? basketball refs do it. hockey refs skate the ice. soccer refs are up and down the field. it can be done.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you dont agree that the refs should be set and ready before the ball is snapped. Cant this work against you as well? If the defense jumps offsides and isnt seen because the refs are out of place and the play goes for a sack, who loses?

Tell YOUR "FATAZZ LINEMEN" to be ready come Jan, maybe sooner. Your the the biggest whiner against the HUNH I have ever seen 420.

Ooopps I meant Bo...:yahoo:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"That may mean cleaning up the sideline before, but having the umpire sort of crisply jog but don't sprint, hustle but don't hurry in getting the ball ready for play."

this is the part of the article I have an issue with.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell YOUR "FATAZZ LINEMEN" to be ready come Jan, maybe sooner. Your the the biggest whiner against the HUNH I have ever seen 420.

saban-jelly_zps42b5a003.jpg

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And should the refs have to be in the same shape to keep up to the speed of the offenses in today's game, or should they simply be asked to get things set RIGHT in the fastest REASONABLE time, because that's what I'm seeing them say in that article.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting you don't realize you are inadvertently making a case to return to the 25 second play clock, which would be detrimental to your HUNH offense.
I'm not sure that's true. I don't think Oregon takes 25 seconds between plays on average. But I haven't looked at the data - that's just an impression. Perhaps one of our Dcuk brethren could shed some light?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure that's true. I don't think Oregon takes 25 seconds between plays on average. But I haven't looked at the data - that's just an impression. Perhaps one of our Dcuk brethren could shed some light?

The 25 second play clock is the old play clock. The newer, faster play clock college football adopted a few years ago is 40 seconds.

Because with the 40 second clock we have now, the clock starts at the end of the previous play. The old 25 second clock started when the refs spotted the ball. Meaning, under the 25 second clock the refs could take as much time as they wanted and it didn't eat play clock.

And that is how a 40 second play clock speeds up the game over the 25 second play clock. So going back to a 25 second play clock would remove all bits of his worry of refs eating up too much play clock, but it would also remove the HUNH ability a good bit.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any problems with teams running the no huddle with the rules as it stands, but the article simply says the refs were over appeasing the offenses running it at their own expense, as much as what it's done to defenses. They don't feel the need to sprint at full speed down the field and there is nothing in the rule book to justify expecting them to. The ball should be set to play when they are all in position and expecting them to be as fast as the kids on these offenses is ludicrous.

Would you rather they simply say hustle down the field, but sprinting isn't necessary, or add that 10 second rule that's been talked about? You can still line up and get your signals from the sideline all but preventing the defense from substituting and you will still wear out the defenses, just with a few less plays per game at most.

So fat refs slow games and effect outcomes?

If the offense has time to get a play in and line up the refs and defense also have time.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the offense has time to get a play in and line up the refs and defense also have time.

I guess you'll need to suck it up and deal with it.

Or are you suggesting a rules change?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could care less if they change the rules or dont. Bama had its worst defense of Sabans last 6 years last season and they still won all but two games. Most teams would kill for that type of season, especially ones with Beaver Mascots.

Bring on the Hunh, we beat it about as often as we lose to it, still got a 50 50 shot to win and Saban i am sure has worked on that this offseason at length.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 25 second play clock is the old play clock. The newer, faster play clock college football adopted a few years ago is 40 seconds. ...
This may come as a shock to you - but I get that. I also remember how many teams went to no-huddle with the new timing rules, leading to what I call the "prairie dog" effect at the line of scrimmage.

However, my impression from last year and before is that Oregon tends to snap the ball with more than 15 seconds left on the play clock. If that is true, then a changing in timing rules back to the 25 second clock should cause them no issues in terms of slowing their offense.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You obviously didn't read the article. Get back to me after you have.

:ranger:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if they change the rules or dont. Bama had its worst defense of Sabans last 6 years last season and they still won all but two games. Most teams would kill for that type of season, especially ones with Beaver Mascots.

Bring on the Hunh, we beat it about as often as we lose to it, still got a 50 50 shot to win and Saban i am sure has worked on that this offseason at length.

Total "deflection" here...coming from a clown whoze team hasn't had a true regular season OOC "road game" in about twenty years.
:L