• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will refs slow down the HUNH offenses this year?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm suggesting they do their fucking jobs and get lined up. The refs should not be responsible for setting the pace of a game. The rules don't say they get to take as much time as they want.

I get that Bama fan doesn't like it. You're 18-0 vs teams that take longer than 23 seconds to snap the ball in the last couple years. All losses are against teams that move fast. Oh but it's "safety....":L

They are doing their job unless you want a rule change that states the offenses set the pace of the game rather than refs.

All our losses are not to teams who "move fast". I'm not even sure half of them are. The only teams Alabama has lost to in the past 6 years are top10 teams with the exception of South Carolina in 2010 who was a top15 team.

Lets go back and check.

2010 - Lost to South Carolina, not fast paced.
2010 - Lost to LSU, not fast paced.
2010 - Lost to Auburn, I guess that's kind of 50/50.

2011 - Lost to LSU, not fast paced.

2012 - Lost to A&M, fast paced I guess

2013 - Lost to Auburn and Oklahoma, somewhat fast paced I guess, although Oklahoma isn't doing it full time.

So, 7 total losses in the past 6 years. At best you could fudge fast moving into 4 losses in 6 years. And yet, we've also beat all but 1 of those teams(Oklahoma) just as much as we've lost to them.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is the pace much as spreading Bama out. Bama is a big team. LBs have been large. They just aren't built to play in space for the most part. That has been a weakness. Keep in mind they aren't garbage and few have the talent to take advantage. Pace exacerbates the issue, as it limits substitution. I have heard they are recruiting a bit differently now, no idea that is true. IMHO

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oddly nobody called HUNH a scheme. :L

Well people do all the time, but I was talking about the stuff you were talking about were more about scheme than the HUNH.

I don't think it is the pace much as spreading Bama out. Bama is a big team. LBs have been large. They just aren't built to play in space for the most part. That has been a weakness. Keep in mind they aren't garbage and few have the talent to take advantage. Pace exacerbates the issue, as it limits substitution. I have heard they are recruiting a bit differently now, no idea that is true. IMHO

Well again I would say and agree it's more about talent. But yes our line is a bit thinner these days and they say they are recruiting better.

However, I really think our secondary needs to step up on 3rd down more often. And those guys ain't fat. But the fat guys need to get more pressure/sacks on the QB to help the secondary(aka JFF running around the backfield for 30 seconds before throwing a pass). Hopefully that happens this year where it hasn't happened much in the past.

When we shut down teams on 3rd and 4th down, hurry up or not it didn't matter(Ole Miss shutout for example was because they couldn't convert 3rd and 4th in the redzone multiple times).

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best refs, in any game or sport, are the ones you never notice. that's how you know they are doing their jobs.

Well if the refs aren't able to get into proper position and do everything they need to do before a snap, then how are they doing their jobs?

It was actually an issue in the Alabama/Auburn game last year. Refs were missing a ton of calls while Auburn was on offense due to limited time pre-snap. I think I've even seen a few Auburn fans admit they were getting away with some linemen down field at times. Not trying to make excuses for that game, as you didn't do what you needed to do if the game comes down to refs, just saying it happened.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well people do all the time, but I was talking about the stuff you were talking about were more about scheme than the HUNH.
I was saying that HUNH requires a emphasis on fundamentals and precision. Almost all of them run a handful of plays and run them to near perfection. Generally characterized with multiple options within a single play. That can be zone read, run/pass, or route options. You just can not be sloppy if your system has an emphasis on HUNH.