• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will refs slow down the HUNH offenses this year?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rules change and they bring an end to the HUNH, then I'd say the same thing to the HUNH fans:

Tough.
Shit.

Well at least you are consistent.

I don't think they need to bring an end to the HUNH, I just think it needs to be tweaked. What the hell would football be without a 2 minute offense? But there is a bit of abuse with it, and those specific things should be addressed.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refs can't slow them down. There is no reason to do so.

The same rules apply to both teams on both sides of the ball.

If you're gonna do away with HUNH's then you need to trim the play clock.

Well we had a 25 second play clock a few years back, and it limited HUNH a good bit. Going to a 40 second play clock actually enabled the current HUNH. They changed it to speed up the game. It's kind of deceptive that longer play clock would do that, but it's all about when and how they start the play clock.

Back with the 25 second play clock, the refs didn't have to hurry or worry about the play clock. But with the 40 second play clock it starts at the end of the previous play instead, so the refs are trying to get the ball placed ASAP as to not take up clock time from the offense. And now we have the current state of HUNH.

So trimming the play clock isn't just about time. I'd love to go back to a 25 second play clock, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least you are consistent.

I don't think they need to bring an end to the HUNH, I just think it needs to be tweaked. What the hell would football be without a 2 minute offense? But there is a bit of abuse with it, and those specific things should be addressed.

I think it will end up being addressed by defenses.

For example....

whatever happened to the run-and-shoot. Anyone? Anyone?

It was some gimmicky crap that took some time to get used to and, once it was figured out, it became obsolete and it was back to the old drawing board.

Same thing will happen to the HUNH. Teams will figure it out, defenses will adjust, the HUNH will get shut down and it will be scrapped or revisited and restructured and the cycle will continue.

Truthfully, in the 21st Century Football (even moreso in NFL than college) less is more when it comes to rules changes. Had way too much of that already. Time to let the football players play football and determine the champion on the field, not in the commissioner's office.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will end up being addressed by defenses. For example.... whatever happened to the run-and-shoot. Anyone? Anyone?
These things are all cyclical. Chris ault at Nevada decides to play a single-wing (but with the wing behind the QB instead of beside him) and is seen as a genius for inventing a new offense!
:clap::clap::clap:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will end up being addressed by defenses.

For example....

whatever happened to the run-and-shoot. Anyone? Anyone?

It was some gimmicky crap that took some time to get used to and, once it was figured out, it became obsolete and it was back to the old drawing board.

Same thing will happen to the HUNH. Teams will figure it out, defenses will adjust, the HUNH will get shut down and it will be scrapped or revisited and restructured and the cycle will continue.

Truthfully, in the 21st Century Football (even moreso in NFL than college) less is more when it comes to rules changes. Had way too much of that already. Time to let the football players play football and determine the champion on the field, not in the commissioner's office.

I'm not a big rule change guy, but these things are possible now largely in part of other rule changes. It's kind of just the reality.

I think of run and shoot as a scheme, so I think it's different. The HUNH isn't a scheme, as one of the Oregon fans pointed out you can run HUNH with any scheme if you want. The triple option even as old as it is still gives trouble defending when you actually come across it once every 10 years, but adjustments can be made. And Gus @ Auburn basically ran some kind of quadruple option last year, and that will be adjusted for and addressed. Scheme stuff is fine.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to think of player safety!!!

Yes, that's sarcasm.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"HUNH" sounds like something my kids would say to me when I wold tell them to do something..."Ouch" is usually what they said next.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the offense can get lined up the refs had better be ready. Complete horseshit.

I don't have any problems with teams running the no huddle with the rules as it stands, but the article simply says the refs were over appeasing the offenses running it at their own expense, as much as what it's done to defenses. They don't feel the need to sprint at full speed down the field and there is nothing in the rule book to justify expecting them to. The ball should be set to play when they are all in position and expecting them to be as fast as the kids on these offenses is ludicrous.

Would you rather they simply say hustle down the field, but sprinting isn't necessary, or add that 10 second rule that's been talked about? You can still line up and get your signals from the sideline all but preventing the defense from substituting and you will still wear out the defenses, just with a few less plays per game at most.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any problems with teams running the no huddle with the rules as it stands, but the article simply says the refs were over appeasing the offenses running it at their own expense, as much as what it's done to defenses. They don't feel the need to sprint at full speed down the field and there is nothing in the rule book to justify expecting them to. The ball should be set to play when they are all in position and expecting them to be as fast as the kids on these offenses is ludicrous.

Would you rather they simply say hustle down the field, but sprinting isn't necessary, or add that 10 second rule that's been talked about? You can still line up and get your signals from the sideline all but preventing the defense from substituting and you will still wear out the defenses, just with a few less plays per game at most.

Basically they are just taking the NFL approach as far as I can tell.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was my point earlier. there is no such offensive scheme that is the HUNH offense to figure out. there is option, power, air raid, shotgun, pistol, 5 WR, whatever have you but going fast isnt exclusive to one offense to figure out.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically they are just taking the NFL approach as far as I can tell.

Prior article said NFL refs were going to start adjusting to the faster offenses.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the refs can just stroll down the field at their convenience what is to stop them from not setting the ball until there is only a few seconds left on the play clock?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the refs can just stroll down the field at their convenience what is to stop them from not setting the ball until there is only a few seconds left on the play clock?

They aren't going to do that for the same reason they didn't do it last year. There was never anything that forced them to do it last year either.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is this will be fine it's not like they are just going to stroll to help defenses.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sort of surprised to see this from you, even if you are a HUNH homer.

Isn't there a huge difference between taking 30+ seconds to meander down the field and simply saying they shouldn't have to exhaust themselves to try and keep up with 18-22y/o athletes simply because they want them to?

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok...implement restrictions on HUNH offenses...but only if the defense is willing to let the offense pick one defensive player to be replaced anytime they want to cry about the offense is going too fast. Throw the pink flag and let 'em pick.

Give and take.