• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Julius Peppers go down as a top 10 defensive player of all time?

Bulldog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Peppers go down as a top 10 defensive player of all time when he decides to hang em up? Considering he is athletic enough and could play until he is 40 and can still produce big seasons. He's also imo along with Ray Lewis the most dominant defensive player of this generation, more so than guys like DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Darrelle Revis, Charles Woodson, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, Warren Sapp, etc.

My top 10 defensive players of all time, with Peppers getting consideration to crack the list once he finishes his career and adds to his already HOF resume.

1. Reggie White
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Dick Butkus
4. Rod Woodson
5. Joe Greene
6. Ray Lewis
7. Deacon Jones
8. Ronnie Lott
9. Alan Page
10. Bruce Smith

HM: Deion Sanders

Julius Peppers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

College Football Awards and honors

Sporting News Freshman All-American (1999)
First-team All-ACC (2000)
Second-team Associated Press All-American (2000)
Second-team Football News All-American (2000)
Division I-A sacks leader (2000)
First-team All-ACC (2001)
Consensus first-team All-American (2001)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalist (2001)
Chuck Bednarik Award (2001)
Bill Willis Trophy (2001)
Lombardi Award (2001)

NFL awards and honors

NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)
2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team (2002)
2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year
2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year
2013 Brian Piccolo Award
NFL 2000s All Decade Team
Pro-Football-Reference All 2000s Team
100 Sacks Club
2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 NFC Pro Bowl
2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team
2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team
Five time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10,12/23/12)
Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)

Panthers franchise records

Most career sacks: (81)
Most career forced fumbles: (30)
Longest Interception return: 97 yards (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)

NFL records and accomplishments

Eighteenth most sacks in NFL history: 115.5
Tied for fifth most double digit sack seasons in NFL history: 8
Tied for fourth most games with at least three sacks: 9
Tied for fifteenth most multiple sack games in NFL history: 29
Tenth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 38
Second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 9
Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 192 yds
Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds
Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds
Tied for second most interceptions returned for a touchdown by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 2
Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 61
Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13
Tied for eleventh most Pro Bowl appearances by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 8

Please, while you're with Peppers remember to practice safe sex!

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched Peppers play his entire career and it is overblown hog wash that he takes a bunch of plays off, the players and coaches of the NFL seem to agree with me as well if you look a couple of pages back and read the evidence I have provided as far that goes.

No player has ever accomplished 18 to 20 sacks every year, not even the great Reggie White, your expectations are too high. No player has ever had 2 seasons of at least 20 sacks for that matter.

Your right about the 2 seasons with 20 sacks, but in a 14 game season before sacks were even counted as a state, Harvey Martin had 23, then back that up with 16 the next season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy have I heard so doozies in my time, but this one takes the cake. I hate the Steelers, hated them even more in the 70's, but if you think Peppers is better than all those 70's Steelers your smoking some good stuff. Football today is powder puff to what it was back then, those guys mentioned where not just good, they were down right mean. They would knock the dodo out of you and not think twice. Peppers is a very good football player, but probably rides the pine on the 70's Steelers teams.:laugh3:

If the rules haven't been changed, and skirts put on QB's, Peppers would be smashing them worse than he already does. He injured Matthew Stafford in 2010 and Donte Culpepper back when he played for the Panthers. Peppers hits hard and is a very physical player...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELMxIseMyL0]peppers obliterate stafford's shoulder - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDaBH_bSR0]NFC Championship Julius Peppers Destroys Aaron Rodgers (Helmet To Helmet) Bloody Tongue - YouTube[/ame]

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel could kick Pepper's ass straight up.

When I think of top ten defenders all time, Peppers isn't on the list.

If he's on yours you're either a homer or don't know the history of the NFL.

I know plenty of history, and Peppers is very dominant and very well could be a top 10 defensive player all time when he hangs em up. Peppers would make Mel cry like a little school girl.

Julius Peppers NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Peppers

Mel Blount NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Blount

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You argue forcefully on behalf of Peppers, PredatorPepper! Almost seems as if you have a preconceived "correct" answer to the question that you pose in this thread. Still, I stand by my previous reply that JP needs to earn a few more First Team All-Pro selections in order to earn an All-Time Top-Ten spot.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know plenty of history, and Peppers is very dominant and very well could be a top 10 defensive player all time when he hangs em up. Peppers would make Mel cry like a little school girl.

Julius Peppers NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Peppers

Mel Blount NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Blount

No, he couldn't.

And Mel Blount is still better than Peppers. I'm starting to think you ARE Peppers and you're just trying to pimp yourself for the HoF.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea he pretty much is... the only thing Urlacher has on Peppers so far is that Urlacher won a Defensive Player of the Year Award, but Peppers very well could end up winning one before he retires.

Julius Peppers NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Peppers' career Approximate Value is 144 and he is still adding to it

Brian Urlacher NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Urlacher's Approximate Value is 152 in 2 more seasons

Peppers has more impact on a game than Urlacher ever did.

The award is heavily based on stats and team success, guys are getting 8-9 sacks at the halfway point now. Peppers is in his 12th season has 4 sacks and 11 last season, plus he plays for a bad defensive team. I think his time has ran up if you ask me.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please. Martin, schmartin, he can't touch Peppers.

The only Cowboys defenders worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Peppers would be Bob Lilly, Randy White, Deion Sanders, and DeMarcus Ware.

Harvey Martin NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Harvey Martin

Julius Peppers NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com Julius Peppers

I can see you are not old enough to have watched football in the 70's. The stats that they count today, they didn't back when Martin played. Martin had 114 QB sacks in in 11 seasons, 5 of those seasons were 14 game seasons and he only played in 9 games in 1982 due to injury. He played in 158 games and had 114 sacks where as Peppers has played in 180 games and only has 1.5 more sacks. Martin was also a Superbowl MVP, something I doubt Peppers will ever be.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Peppers go down as a top 10 defensive player of all time when he decides to hang em up?

My top 10 defensive players of all time, with Peppers getting consideration to crack the list once he finishes his career and adds to his already HOF resume.

1. Reggie White
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Dick Butkus
4. Rod Woodson
5. Joe Greene
6. Ray Lewis
7. Deacon Jones
8. Ronnie Lott
9. Alan Page
10. Bruce Smith

HM: Deion Sanders

Top 10 DEs of all time, yes...top 10 DEF player...no.

Just addressing your list, and I think these are always subjective, but my 2 cents.

I agree 100% with Woodson over Deion if only 1 DB can make it. Mel Blount imo was better than Woodson, but that's another debate. The guy I might pull off is Alan Paige, great player, the collection of the 4 is what made them dominant...somewhat similar to Joe Greene, but Mean Joe was dominant in his own right. Warren Sapp would get Paige's spot on my list.

Secondly...I think Singletary was a better MLB than RL and he would get the nod for me.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the OP and you may take back the bolded statement above.

Reggie White was the most dominant defensive player of all time, Peppers isn't quite as good as White but then again nobody was.

You say that like I didn't read the original post. I don't care what all that says. Stats don't make one player better than another. At the end of the day no matter what Peppers says he seemed to, lets say, not try at time. You and Peppers are the only one's who say differently. And even if all players take plays off (which I don't buy) it looks obvious with some players and Peppers is one of those players. So, again, he may be a top 10 talent but no he is not a top 10 defensive player.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If all players went 100% every snap, they'd be burned out by the 3rd quarter. I don't think even Jerry Rice went 100% every snap.

But Peppers even loafing it was a dominant force. There aren't more than a hand full of players I can name who were more dominant than Peppers IMO. Top 10 all-time? I think so.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What in the fuck did I just read?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all players went 100% every snap, they'd be burned out by the 3rd quarter. I don't think even Jerry Rice went 100% every snap.

But Peppers even loafing it was a dominant force. There aren't more than a hand full of players I can name who were more dominant than Peppers IMO. Top 10 all-time? I think so.

Well said.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 10 DEs of all time, yes...top 10 DEF player...no.

Just addressing your list, and I think these are always subjective, but my 2 cents.

I agree 100% with Woodson over Deion if only 1 DB can make it. Mel Blount imo was better than Woodson, but that's another debate. The guy I might pull off is Alan Paige, great player, the collection of the 4 is what made them dominant...somewhat similar to Joe Greene, but Mean Joe was dominant in his own right. Warren Sapp would get Paige's spot on my list.

Secondly...I think Singletary was a better MLB than RL and he would get the nod for me.

Warren Sapp was a beast but do you think he was better than John Randle?

Some other honorable mentions would be, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Derrick Brooks, Gino Marchetti, Derrick Thomas, Randy White, Brian Dawkins, Chris Doleman, Jason Taylor, Mike Singletary, Darrell Green, Charles Woodson, etc.

Peppers was just as dominant if not more so than most of the guys listed here....

According to the below link, Peppers Approximate Value amongst all defensive players of all time is tied for 33rd place, and he will only move up the list before he retires.

Player Season Finder Query Results - Pro-Football-Reference.com

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not all about sacks, Peppers does more than just get sacks, he takes on double teams to allow his teammates to make plays, he plays the run as well as any 4-3 DE in the NFL, he puts pressure on the QB, he knocks down passes, gets interceptions, forces fumbles, recovers fumbles, blocks kicks, etc. Peppers shuts down his side of the field quite often.

You really haven't been watching my Bears team over the last couple of years have you? Peppers has been all but useless the last two years mainly due to injury. Maybe in a by gone era past?

Fine you show two vid's of Peppers sacking two QB's, I can show you two vid's one of Wooten taking Farve to retirement and Shea McClellin putting Aaron Rodgers out with a broken collar bone... So your point? You don't want me to point at sacks because, well, Peppers sack figures aren't that great. Don't give me the double team thing, all the greats have had to deal with double teams.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see you are not old enough to have watched football in the 70's. The stats that they count today, they didn't back when Martin played. Martin had 114 QB sacks in in 11 seasons, 5 of those seasons were 14 game seasons and he only played in 9 games in 1982 due to injury. He played in 158 games and had 114 sacks where as Peppers has played in 180 games and only has 1.5 more sacks. Martin was also a Superbowl MVP, something I doubt Peppers will ever be.

I know he had 114 sacks, Ware just passed him for most sacks ever recorded by a Cowboy. Ware is better than Martin, so is Peppers, and Peppers is better than both.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say that like I didn't read the original post. I don't care what all that says. Stats don't make one player better than another. At the end of the day no matter what Peppers says he seemed to, lets say, not try at time. You and Peppers are the only one's who say differently. And even if all players take plays off (which I don't buy) it looks obvious with some players and Peppers is one of those players. So, again, he may be a top 10 talent but no he is not a top 10 defensive player.

I'll take the opinion of he fellow coaches and players around the NFL, as well as my own eyes to tell me otherwise.

Peppers is the greatest player in Panthers history as well, sorry #89.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really haven't been watching my Bears team over the last couple of years have you? Peppers has been all but useless the last two years mainly due to injury. Maybe in a by gone era past?

Fine you show two vid's of Peppers sacking two QB's, I can show you two vid's one of Wooten taking Farve to retirement and Shea McClellin putting Aaron Rodgers out with a broken collar bone... So your point? You don't want me to point at sacks because, well, Peppers sack figures aren't that great. Don't give me the double team thing, all the greats have had to deal with double teams.

Peppers was a second team all pro last season and made the pro bowl while recording 11.5 sacks and numerous other stats and big plays, I don't know what your talking about referring to Peppers not having an impact? Not to mention doing all of this while playing with plantar fasciitis. The year before he had 11 sacks and dominated while playing with a sprained MCL in his knee, this season he is heating up and just had a huge game against the Ravens recording a career high 11 tackles to go along with 2 sacks and 2 more tackles for loss. 2 weeks ago he had an interception and a sack against Green Bay. Peppers got off to a slow start because he suffered a hamstring injury before the season started , but is now healthy and just as dominant as ever. He will tear the Rams a new one this Sunday, wait and see.