• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Julius Peppers go down as a top 10 defensive player of all time?

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, dude...

Now, I like Julius Peppers and think he is one of the most athletic specimens that the NFL has ever seen, but to say he is one of the top 10 defensive players of all time is a bit ridiculous. And I didn't even read the 15 pages of your articles and interviews with his high school coaches or whatever it was, but this is some serious jocking going on. I actually agree with Patsfan that he is a borderline HOFer, but not a lock by any means. And to put him up there with the true greats of the game is what they call "ranking with your heart and not your head".

I admit, I am running the risk of losing IQ points by even commenting on this thread, but you have to realize how out of touch with reality you are, my friend.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, dude...

Now, I like Julius Peppers and think he is one of the most athletic specimens that the NFL has ever seen, but to say he is one of the top 10 defensive players of all time is a bit ridiculous. And I didn't even read the 15 pages of your articles and interviews with his high school coaches or whatever it was, but this is some serious jocking going on. I actually agree with Patsfan that he is a borderline HOFer, but not a lock by any means. And to put him up there with the true greats of the game is what they call "ranking with your heart and not your head".

I admit, I am running the risk of losing IQ points by even commenting on this thread, but you have to realize how out of touch with reality you are, my friend.

At least read post #152 on page 10, then realize you're the one "out of touch with reality." My friend. :suds:

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julius Peppers prob breaks top 100 best Defensive players, not even top 10 playing today.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow..someone must be living in Peppers jock.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Peppers go down as a top 10 defensive player of all time when he decides to hang em up? Considering he is athletic enough and could play until he is 40 and can still produce big seasons. He's also imo along with Ray Lewis the most dominant defensive player of this generation, more so than guys like DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Brian Dawkins, Champ Bailey, Darrelle Revis, Charles Woodson, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, Warren Sapp, etc.

My top 10 defensive players of all time, with Peppers getting consideration to crack the list once he finishes his career and adds to his already HOF resume.

1. Reggie White
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Dick Butkus
4. Rod Woodson
5. Joe Greene
6. Ray Lewis
7. Deacon Jones
8. Ronnie Lott
9. Alan Page
10. Bruce Smith

HM: Deion Sanders

Julius Peppers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

College Football Awards and honors

Sporting News Freshman All-American (1999)
First-team All-ACC (2000)
Second-team Associated Press All-American (2000)
Second-team Football News All-American (2000)
Division I-A sacks leader (2000)
First-team All-ACC (2001)
Consensus first-team All-American (2001)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy finalist (2001)
Chuck Bednarik Award (2001)
Bill Willis Trophy (2001)
Lombardi Award (2001)

NFL awards and honors

NFL Rookie of the Month (10/02)
2002 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
Pro Football Weekly All-Rookie Team (2002)
2004 NFL Alumni Defensive Lineman of the Year
2004 NFC Defensive Player of the Year
2013 Brian Piccolo Award
NFL 2000s All Decade Team
Pro-Football-Reference All 2000s Team
100 Sacks Club
2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 NFC Pro Bowl
2004, 2006, 2010 All-Pro First Team
2008, 2009, 2012 All-Pro Second Team
Five time NFC Defensive Player of the Week (11/13/06, 11/9/08, 11/1/09, 11/18/10,12/23/12)
Four time NFC Defensive Player of the Month (11/2004, 10/2006, 11/2010, 11/2011)

Panthers franchise records

Most career sacks: (81)
Most career forced fumbles: (30)
Longest Interception return: 97 yards (vs. Denver Broncos 10/10/04)

NFL records and accomplishments

Eighteenth most sacks in NFL history: 115.5
Tied for fifth most double digit sack seasons in NFL history: 8
Tied for fourth most games with at least three sacks: 9
Tied for fifteenth most multiple sack games in NFL history: 29
Tenth most forced fumbles in NFL history: 38
Second most interceptions by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 9
Most interception return yards by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 192 yds
Most interception return yards in a single season by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 143 yds
Most interception return yards in a single game by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Longest interception return by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 97 yds
Most combined interception and fumble return yards by a defensive lineman in a single season since NFL merger in 1970: 203 yds
Tied for second most interceptions returned for a touchdown by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 2
Third most passes defensed by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 61
Second most blocked kicks in NFL history: 13
Tied for eleventh most Pro Bowl appearances by a defensive lineman in NFL history: 8

If you have to go to these lengths to prove to me how great he is, he's not top ten.

No one looks at the awards won by Dick Butkis, "Mean" Joe Greene or Ronnie Lott - just to name a few.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC-julius-peppers.jpg

unc_peppers.JPG

2006-11-20-peppers-topper.jpg

julius_peppers_bears.jpg

nfl_u_peppers11_300x300.jpg

926484_326531360835826_971686716_a.jpg

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus.

You are either his Mom, his agent or him.

Or some lunatic that jacks off to some JP shrine while listening to Yanni.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad the Ted Thompson had the vision to sign Peppers instead of that calf roping over rated former Viking Jared Allen.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers isn't a top 10 defensive player of the last 10-20 years let alone of all time.

He has never been a top sack getter in the league. His best finish in that dept has been 5th in any given year (done that twice).

He really is the definition of an accumulator rather than a truly dominant player. Guys like James Harrison, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Demarcus Ware (and quite a few others I am sure that I am just not thinking of) were all more dominant in their primes than Peppers.

Edge players of this era (OLB in 3-4, 4-3 DE) are extremely hard to rate as who you would rather have. A ton of them all just blend together. Some might not have had as long of careers as Peppers but have been better players at their peak than Peppers.

Who would you rather have over the course of their careers:
Julius Peppers, Jared Allen, Ware, Harrison, Freeney, Mathis, Mario Williams, Jason Taylor, Strahan, Trent Cole, Terrell Suggs, Clay Matthews, Cameron Wake. And I am sure I am forgetting quite a few guys over the last 10 years or so. A lot of guys that are pretty similar IMO with some being a little better at rushing the passer than Peppers and others being a little better against the run as Peppers.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does the OP at least have an article or 2 he could post to back up this seemingly outlandish claim?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers isn't a top 10 defensive player of the last 10-20 years let alone of all time.

He has never been a top sack getter in the league. His best finish in that dept has been 5th in any given year (done that twice).

He really is the definition of an accumulator rather than a truly dominant player. Guys like James Harrison, Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Demarcus Ware (and quite a few others I am sure that I am just not thinking of) were all more dominant in their primes than Peppers.

Edge players of this era (OLB in 3-4, 4-3 DE) are extremely hard to rate as who you would rather have. A ton of them all just blend together. Some might not have had as long of careers as Peppers but have been better players at their peak than Peppers.

Who would you rather have over the course of their careers:
Julius Peppers, Jared Allen, Ware, Harrison, Freeney, Mathis, Mario Williams, Jason Taylor, Strahan, Trent Cole, Terrell Suggs, Clay Matthews, Cameron Wake. And I am sure I am forgetting quite a few guys over the last 10 years or so. A lot of guys that are pretty similar IMO with some being a little better at rushing the passer than Peppers and others being a little better against the run as Peppers.

I can tell you probably have never seen Julius Peppers actually play. Disgusting you say that Peppers wasn't as dominant as one trick ponies Ware, Freeney, and Allen. James Harrison was close to being as dominant as Peppers in his prime but didn't dominate for near as long as Peppers has. Harrison could stop the run like Peppers, drop into coverage like Peppers, pass rush like Peppers, but what puts Peppers above Harrison his is his size and ability to knock down passes and block kicks.

Peppers can do everything well, drop into coverage, set the edge against the run, rush the passer, take on double teams at the point of attack because of his size strength combination allowing others to make plays. Peppers can play NT, DT, DE, OLB, MLB, the most versatile big man in the NFL. He gets sacks, QB hurries, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, passes defensed, interceptions, blocked kicks, touchdowns, etc. Peppers makes GAME CHANGING plays that help his team win football games.

To say Peppers is an accumulator rather than a truly dominant player tells me you A.) you haven't seen him play much, or B.) you don't know much about football.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you probably have never seen Julius Peppers actually play. Disgusting you say that Peppers wasn't as dominant as one trick ponies Ware, Freeney, and Allen. James Harrison was close to being as dominant as Peppers in his prime but didn't dominate for near as long as Peppers has. Harrison could stop the run like Peppers, drop into coverage like Peppers, pass rush like Peppers, but what puts Peppers above Harrison his is his size and ability to knock down passes and block kicks.

Peppers can do everything well, drop into coverage, set the edge against the run, rush the passer, take on double teams at the point of attack because of his size strength combination allowing others to make plays. Peppers can play NT, DT, DE, OLB, MLB, the most versatile big man in the NFL. He gets sacks, QB hurries, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, passes defensed, interceptions, blocked kicks, touchdowns, etc. Peppers makes GAME CHANGING plays that help his team win football games.

To say Peppers is an accumulator rather than a truly dominant player tells me you A.) you haven't seen him play much, B.) you don't know much about football or C.) you haven't nicknamed your own penis, Lil' Julius.

:fify:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To say Peppers is an accumulator rather than a truly dominant player tells me you A.) you haven't seen him play much, or B.) you don't know much about football.

Oh please. Allen and Harrison were both better in their primes than Peppers ever has been. And callining Allen a one trick pony is laughable as he was worlds better against the run than Peppers ever was during his prime years.

Peppers is more versatile than any of the players on the list but he flat out didn't show up like other players did because he didn't have the high motor that other less talented players had.

He was "dominant" in so far as he was often the best player on the defenses he played on more often than not. But so were a lot of edge players of this era.

And everyone on that list made GAME CHANGING plays for their teams. In fact most of them did it is a much higher rate than Peppers ever did. That is why his stats (you know....plays that he made) were always a little lower than everyone on that list.

To me Peppers will always be a little bit of a disappointment in the same way Mario Williams has been. Both physical specimens that have no peer in the league. But they were never even all that close to the most dominant defensive players in any given year during their entire career.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a single year during his career where Peppers had a top 5 year among defensive players. He was always really, really good and a top 10-20 defensive player. But he never had that amazing, truly dominant season where he was hands down a top 3 defensive player in the league that season.

He's basically the DE's version of Tony Romo or Big Ben. Really, really, really good for a long time and a player any team would love to have on their team. But never, ever the best.