• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Jack Tatum ever make the HoF?

Will Jack Tatum ever make the HoF?

• Yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the young people we have on the board.....

Jack Tatum was one of the best safeties to ever play the game, and arguably the best of his era - yet he's not in the HoF.

Here are some of his stats...

He played 10 years.

He had 37 INT's, 3 time probowl selection, 2 time all pro, 5 time all AFC selection, 1973 Football Digest DB of the year. (They didn't keep track of tackles or other stuff back then, don't ask me why)

He was known as, "The Assassin".

So, why isn't he in Canton?

We can speculate on this so we don't really know for sure BUT.....

He is best known for a tackle he made against New England Patriots wide receiver Darryl Stingley in a 1978 preseason game that paralyzed Stingley from the chest down.

Jack Tatum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His most infamous tackle came in an exhibition game against the New England Patriots on August 12, 1978, a play that Tatum later stated he did "thousands of times" in practice and in regular game coverage.[6] Tatum and Patriots wide receiver Darryl Stingley collided as Stingley was leaping for a pass on an inside slant route, a play the Patriots had run earlier in the game with some success that put him in the path of Tatum. There was an awkward collision as Stingley lowered his helmet to protect himself and hit Tatum's shoulder pad.[7] The impact badly damaged Stingley's spinal cord and left him with incomplete quadriplegia for the rest of his life.[4][8] The National Football League took no disciplinary action for the tackle; however, many of those violent tackles were later outlawed.[3]

There was nothing dirty about the hit - it was within the rules. I want to make that clear.

Tatum never apologized for the hit, nor the style he played, stating that, "It's unrealistic. If you want to play football for a living, you're going to get injured".[2][6]

And I think that's why he's not in Canton, IMHO. Yes, it's football and you're going to get injured - and no, there was nothing dirty about the hit...that being said, many feel an apology was warranted.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the one hit defined his career and is what is probably keeping him out, though his stats weren't THAT great.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably should, but I don't think he will because of the whole "he paralyzed a guy" thing.

I think most could live with the hit and paralization, because those are risks of football. But like mentioned by OP, it was that he didnt show any class or remorse, by not apologizing or visiting Stingley in the hospital. Piece of shit move and he deserves squat

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt Lynn Swann try to sue Tatum for the way Tatum tackled him or some silly crap like that?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tatum made his fame with the book: "they call me assassin" I do not hold him accoutable for this injury but if you want to put him on a pedestal?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

steelerstew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to say no. I think he should because of the way he played. But since GODel banned hard hitting in the NFL they don't want to bring it up. They would rather put in some pre-Madonna's in the hall.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to say no. I think he should because of the way he played. But since GODel banned hard hitting in the NFL they don't want to bring it up. They would rather put in some pre-Madonna's in the hall.

So guys who were Like a Virgin?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a pats fan i remember seeing it on the news,im not mad at the hit,its the lack of remorse im mad at,i have hated him all my life,he did try to reach out to stingly towards the end but in stingleys last interview i believe he said no.this is actually the first time i heard he wasnt in,i just assumed all of those raiders were in

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the list of All Time greats that aren't in, what you'll see is a pattern: players for franchises/owners that were well liked are generally in, ie, damn near every Steeler that's played. Greats for teams like the Giants, Raiders, Cowboys - aren't. I do believe there is a level of bias against some of these.

Chuck Howley should be in. So should Carl Banks. As well as Tatum. And I've never seen any reasonable explanation for why they aren't.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the list of All Time greats that aren't in, what you'll see is a pattern: players for franchises/owners that were well liked are generally in, ie, damn near every Steeler that's played. Greats for teams like the Giants, Raiders, Cowboys - aren't. I do believe there is a level of bias against some of these.

Chuck Howley should be in. So should Carl Banks. As well as Tatum. And I've never seen any reasonable explanation for why they aren't.

I don't know enough about Banks or Howley to discuss it but I think Tatum's refusing to apologize it's what's keeping him out.

I've heard there might be some bias against the Raiders but I don't think there is for anyone else.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know enough about Banks or Howley to discuss it but I think Tatum's refusing to apologize it's what's keeping him out.

I've heard there might be some bias against the Raiders but I don't think there is for anyone else.

An apology would be acknowledging that he did something wrong. It was a legal hit, he did nothing wrong. It was unfortunate, but he was just doing his job, he shouldn't have to apologize for a routine play just because it ended in tragedy.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are quite a few players from teams that have a stigma about them that haven't gotten in. The Giants for certain......the Cowboys have a few as well, along with the Raiders. Teams that won in a way that wasn't appreciated as the "right" way to win.....there are definitely politics at play with some of these guys.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An apology would be acknowledging that he did something wrong. It was a legal hit, he did nothing wrong. It was unfortunate, but he was just doing his job, he shouldn't have to apologize for a routine play just because it ended in tragedy.

You ever bump into someone or spill someone's drink and apologize by saying 'excuse me I'm sorry". You didnt mean too, but it happened .Tatum should have visited him in hospital, or sent flowers with a 'Hope your getting well" card. Nada He could take that tough guy "They call me assanine" persona and get back under a rock

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"I'm sorry" doesn't have to mean you did something wrong. How about, "I'm sorry that happened"?

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HOF is for the best players in the game, not the best people. Stats and rings are where you earn your gold jacket, by that standard he should be in, but as many have mentioned the Goodell crowd probably doesn't see it that way.

There is no doubt Jack Tatum was one of the hardest hitting motherfuckers in the NFL. Anyone remember the immaculate reception? That was Jack.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the young people we have on the board.....

Jack Tatum was one of the best safeties to ever play the game, and arguably the best of his era - yet he's not in the HoF.

Here are some of his stats...

He played 10 years.

He had 37 INT's, 3 time probowl selection, 2 time all pro, 5 time all AFC selection, 1973 Football Digest DB of the year. (They didn't keep track of tackles or other stuff back then, don't ask me why)

He was known as, "The Assassin".

So, why isn't he in Canton?

We can speculate on this so we don't really know for sure BUT.....

He is best known for a tackle he made against New England Patriots wide receiver Darryl Stingley in a 1978 preseason game that paralyzed Stingley from the chest down.

Jack Tatum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His most infamous tackle came in an exhibition game against the New England Patriots on August 12, 1978, a play that Tatum later stated he did "thousands of times" in practice and in regular game coverage.[6] Tatum and Patriots wide receiver Darryl Stingley collided as Stingley was leaping for a pass on an inside slant route, a play the Patriots had run earlier in the game with some success that put him in the path of Tatum. There was an awkward collision as Stingley lowered his helmet to protect himself and hit Tatum's shoulder pad.[7] The impact badly damaged Stingley's spinal cord and left him with incomplete quadriplegia for the rest of his life.[4][8] The National Football League took no disciplinary action for the tackle; however, many of those violent tackles were later outlawed.[3]

There was nothing dirty about the hit - it was within the rules. I want to make that clear.

Tatum never apologized for the hit, nor the style he played, stating that, "It's unrealistic. If you want to play football for a living, you're going to get injured".[2][6]

And I think that's why he's not in Canton, IMHO. Yes, it's football and you're going to get injured - and no, there was nothing dirty about the hit...that being said, many feel an apology was warranted.

I didn't know that personality was one of the measuring sticks for the HOF.....If that's the case than LT shouldn't be in there either....He admittedly was on drugs and tried to hurt people and did Joe Theisman, when he snapped his leg into.....His disposition sucks, but I think he should be there, especially when you have imposters like Moon the racist QB who never won anything but stats put him in.....Among others but the HOF has become as big a joke as the Pro Bowl, IMO......you can't trust the voting, it's tainted....:L