• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will AD want to be traded after this?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at all the "next big thing" #1 draft picks over the last couple of years. AKA the Phoenix Suns, it takes these young guys, no matter how great they were in college a couple years before they are an impact in the NBA. Even took your Greek Freak a few years before he has become great in the league. Zion to New Orleans isn't going to make New Orleans title contenders over night, it'll be a few years. AD will likely want out sooner.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably has just as much to do with living in a shit hole like New Orleans as it does the team.

Plus I would hate playing for a team named the “Pelicans” regardless of all other factors. They somehow topped the “Thunder” as the worst team name in the NBA.
Uh, the Jazz and Magic beg to differ. Especially UTAH Jazz.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Zion will be all-star level his rookie season, he's a freak of nature... As far as going back to Duke, that would be crazy, he's gonna be the number 1 pick, gonna get paid, why risk not getting your payday ? Once he goes pro Nike is gonna give him one of the biggest deals ever... If he's unhappy with the Pelicans just finish out your rookie deal and look at other options...
He will not be an all-star (in the West even) his rookie year. Which wing will he replace?

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably has just as much to do with living in a shit hole like New Orleans as it does the team.

Plus I would hate playing for a team named the “Pelicans” regardless of all other factors. They somehow topped the “Thunder” as the worst team name in the NBA.

It would be worst if it was "Les Peliken"...

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will not be an all-star (in the West even) his rookie year. Which wing will he replace?
They’ve been grandfathered in at this point. It just seems normal now. The Thunder and Pels have a ways to go before they feel normal, at least to me.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tlance didn't say anything about Zion's feelings in what you quoted...
We had a several post conversation there... Zion's mental/emotional state was a point at issue.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at all the "next big thing" #1 draft picks over the last couple of years. AKA the Phoenix Suns, it takes these young guys, no matter how great they were in college a couple years before they are an impact in the NBA. Even took your Greek Freak a few years before he has become great in the league. Zion to New Orleans isn't going to make New Orleans title contenders over night, it'll be a few years. AD will likely want out sooner.
Look at Lebron or Luka... Giannis is different, Giannis didn't know "basketball basics" when he joined the NBA...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'd say you are way overestimating this aspect.

Zion is stuck in New Orleans for a long, long time. In no way, shape or form do I think they should be insta-fretting about bringing in his friend to sooth his feelings.

What an overblown reaction to the look on Zion's face when he got the initial news of his new home.
On that I agree....cannot see them making a deal because Zion is his bud. But if they think he's better than Tatum?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be worst if it was "Les Peliken"...

Owner Tom Benson reportedly had preferred "Brass" or "Krewe" to Pelicans before that decision was made. Brass makes some sense, but Krewe?

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One think is for sure, coach Gentry and Griffin will be "all over Davis" and Griffin will be working with clutch for Davis to stay:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sport...s-f-bomb-over-nba-draft-no-1-pick/3674597002/

GRIFFIN: "No more so than before. We have reason to believe that’s something that is attractive. And if I’m Anthony Davis, I’m skeptical obviously," Griffin said. "He’s wanted to win this whole time and he felt compelled to try to win elsewhere. I think if you look at the totality of where this organization is and where we’re going, we feel very strongly that we’re going be the environment he wants to be part of."

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, you all continue to miss the obvious. Well, aside from @Vitamike

What are all the talk shows discussing today?

Will Zion be willing to play in NOLA, or try to force his way out?

I don't think Zion will do that regardless. But you know how to ensure he doesn't and help him fall in love with the city of NEw Orleans?

Trade for his best friend who happens to have more upside than any player listed in the hypothetical offers from the other teams rumored to be in the hunt.

The relationship between a franchise and its franchise player is tenuous. Yes, the Pelicans have him for 8 years. But they would be incredibly short sighted to not go out of its way to show Zion they are committed to him. Trading for Barrett would be a great first step to cement that relationship.
You think they make what they view as a lesser deal because of the ramifications 7-8 years from now?

You get it's just as likely they get RJ and BOTH he and Zion decide to bolt together when they can?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 years seems like a long time.

It really isn't.

Because it takes most future stars a couple years to come into their own at the NBA level, a couple more to gel with the prices around them, then usually a couple more after that to learn to win in the playoffs.

That is a 5-6 year learning curve before most "superstars" are ready and in position to lead a contender.

This is year 6 for Giannis. The Warriors didn't contend until year 6 for Curry. I could go on here.

There are exceptions when you pair the young star with a star veteran, but that is unlikely to happen in NOLA unless AD has a change of heart.

Playing the "8 years is a long time" game and not investing in that relationship with your guy who could be a transcendent player is a dangerous game.

Not to mention, there are obvious perks that come with pairing together 2 dynamic rookies like Zion and Barrett. They both hit RFA and UFA at the same time. Giving the Bucks a full 4 years with their 2 best players on rookie deals to allow them to gel and add pieces around them. Tatum would speed that clock up by 2 years.
Ok, so let's say it takes the 6 years you suggest. He's gonna go through the growing pains, get to the point where they are ready to take off and then, what? Leave?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main point here is that 8 years from now is not a good thing to fret about... because 8 years from now is almost totally beyond your control right now. Getting Barrett now not only doesn't guarantee anything... it doesn't even qualify as a solid nudge in the direction you hope to dictate.

Like waving your arms in your backyard to try to start a hurricane a few weeks later and a thousand miles away.

A billion different things are gonna happen between now and then.

By far, the more important part of the equation is whether the guys in question are players or not.

By far.

That is what should dictate any decision on the Pel's part... this "won't somebody think of Zion's feelings?!" stuff is nutz.
Agree though seems you ignore the idea they might think RJ is better than Tatum.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's 10 days before draft day.

Right now he has a couple of options, go back to Duke or play abroad, either way he's likely going to a non contender, unless he gets incredibly lucky.

For now though, he can play his cards to force a trade ala Eli Manning. Should he take it all the way and go play for Duke another year or go abroad, the Pelicans will be screwed, no Zion, no Ant!

He's actually in a good place if he wants to force his hand!

And so is Davis, and the rest of the League.
I would think they call his bluff.....who's to say he sits out and goes to a team he likes?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are.

But since I view Tatum and Barrett as roughly equivalent prospects, I am taking the younger player with more upside and the established relationship with the guy I am drafting at #1 if given the choice.

And that should be a no brainer if you concede that Barrett and Tatum are similar prospects. Obviously Tatum has a higher floor because we have seen what he can do, but Barrett with the higher ceiling all be it with a bit more risk.

You are normally very rational and unbiased when evaluating your Celtics, but I think you are underrating the intangibles here. Maybe NOLA will too because they have not exactly been run well, but my guess is that David Griffin will end up preferring Barrett for the reasons I laid out. And if the Knicks are willing to include both Robinson and Knox it is a slam dunk no brainer for the Pelicans. Nobody can touch that package in terms of young player value.
Now there I agree....equal prospects to the Pels? Sure, then you take the guy who is 2 years further from FA.