• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will AD want to be traded after this?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 years seems like a long time.

It really isn't.

Because it takes most future stars a couple years to come into their own at the NBA level, a couple more to gel with the prices around them, then usually a couple more after that to learn to win in the playoffs.

That is a 5-6 year learning curve before most "superstars" are ready and in position to lead a contender.

This is year 6 for Giannis. The Warriors didn't contend until year 6 for Curry. I could go on here.

There are exceptions when you pair the young star with a star veteran, but that is unlikely to happen in NOLA unless AD has a change of heart.

Playing the "8 years is a long time" game and not investing in that relationship with your guy who could be a transcendent player is a dangerous game.
My main point here is that 8 years from now is not a good thing to fret about... because 8 years from now is almost totally beyond your control right now. Getting Barrett now not only doesn't guarantee anything... it doesn't even qualify as a solid nudge in the direction you hope to dictate.

Like waving your arms in your backyard to try to start a hurricane a few weeks later and a thousand miles away.

A billion different things are gonna happen between now and then.
tlance said:
Not to mention, there are obvious perks that come with pairing together 2 dynamic rookies like Zion and Barrett. They both hit RFA and UFA at the same time. Giving the Bucks a full 4 years with their 2 best players on rookie deals to allow them to gel and add pieces around them. Tatum would speed that clock up by 2 years.
By far, the more important part of the equation is whether the guys in question are players or not.

By far.

That is what should dictate any decision on the Pel's part... this "won't somebody think of Zion's feelings?!" stuff is nutz.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesnt he only have 10 days to force himself out or does he have until after FA?
It's 10 days before draft day.

Right now he has a couple of options, go back to Duke or play abroad, either way he's likely going to a non contender, unless he gets incredibly lucky.

For now though, he can play his cards to force a trade ala Eli Manning. Should he take it all the way and go play for Duke another year or go abroad, the Pelicans will be screwed, no Zion, no Ant!

He's actually in a good place if he wants to force his hand!

And so is Davis, and the rest of the League.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will change his mind, no way in hell he walks away from a chance to team up with Zion ... He wants a shot at a title, well, he just got one..

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will change his mind, no way in hell he walks away from a chance to team up with Zion ... He wants a shot at a title, well, he just got one..

Zion won't be an allstar level player for at least a couple years. AD still wants out by all reports, even after the Zion news (and Zion is even considering going back to Duke)

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main point here is that 8 years from now is not a good thing to fret about... because 8 years from now is almost totally beyond your control right now. Getting Barrett now not only doesn't guarantee anything... it doesn't even qualify as a solid nudge in the direction you hope to dictate.

Like waving your arms in your backyard to try to start a hurricane a few weeks later and a thousand miles away.

A billion different things are gonna happen between now and then.

By far, the more important part of the equation is whether the guys in question are players or not.

By far.

That is what should dictate any decision on the Pel's part... this "won't somebody think of Zion's feelings?!" stuff is nutz.

Yes they are.

But since I view Tatum and Barrett as roughly equivalent prospects, I am taking the younger player with more upside and the established relationship with the guy I am drafting at #1 if given the choice.

And that should be a no brainer if you concede that Barrett and Tatum are similar prospects. Obviously Tatum has a higher floor because we have seen what he can do, but Barrett with the higher ceiling all be it with a bit more risk.

You are normally very rational and unbiased when evaluating your Celtics, but I think you are underrating the intangibles here. Maybe NOLA will too because they have not exactly been run well, but my guess is that David Griffin will end up preferring Barrett for the reasons I laid out. And if the Knicks are willing to include both Robinson and Knox it is a slam dunk no brainer for the Pelicans. Nobody can touch that package in terms of young player value.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not going to matter, they had his services all these years and he wants out. Most of these guys don’t just want to win, they want to do it under their terms. That’s the system in place.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

+1

Moving now would be the dumbest thing to do.

Best thing to do is get Jrue with him, arrange a meeting with the two of them, their coach and Griffin and ask Griffin to get them one of the better PGs as to back them up out of free agency, now that they will be a "highly desirable destination" and do have the cash required... I bet Griffin has the same in his mind...

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are.

But since I view Tatum and Barrett as roughly equivalent prospects, I am taking the younger player with more upside and the established relationship with the guy I am drafting at #1 if given the choice.

And that should be a no brainer if you concede that Barrett and Tatum are similar prospects. Obviously Tatum has a higher floor because we have seen what he can do, but Barrett with the higher ceiling all be it with a bit more risk.

You are normally very rational and unbiased when evaluating your Celtics, but I think you are underrating the intangibles here. Maybe NOLA will too because they have not exactly been run well, but my guess is that David Griffin will end up preferring Barrett for the reasons I laid out. And if the Knicks are willing to include both Robinson and Knox it is a slam dunk no brainer for the Pelicans. Nobody can touch that package in terms of young player value.
No doubt we disagree... but I honestly don't see where I have been anything less than "rational" in my take on this one.

Nor do I think that the claim that Tatum is the best single chip currently under discussion in a potential trade for AD is "biased" or homer-ific or whatever... and apparently you don't think so, either... so... :noidea:

I'll stand on the arguments I've made previously. It'll be interesting to see which way this plays out... there's no clear and easy choice that's obviously better than the others, so that makes it fun.

For the Celtics, a necessary precondition in all of this is Kyrie's willingness to resign if tempted by the idea of playing with AD in Boston. And on that front... who the heck knows for sure what crazy-@ss Kyrie is thinking?

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro players, the last thing they consider in their career, is to enjoy the city they work at... All that matters is their success in their (short) career...

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro players, the last thing they consider in their career, is to enjoy the city they work at... All that matters is their success in their (short) career...
Or... maybe pro players aren't a monolith. :think:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gone. But the Pels just got a lot better deal for him tonight .

If they're smart they trade him pre-draft so they make sure they get who they want at 3 or 4.

My guess is AD to LA for the 4 and 2 of 3 of Kuzma , Ingram and Ball. A starting 4 of

Holiday
Garland
Ingram
Randle
Zion

With Kuzma as your first guy off the bench ?

Thats a good team

Trade holiday to Indy for turner and Aaron holiday

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or... maybe pro players aren't a monolith. :think:
They are not all the same, but then they aren't all "pros"... People were saying that for Milwaukee as a destination, but yet, Brook came for peanuts and Bledsoe resigned a way too low "team friendly" contract extention... Davis said before the trade deadline that MIL was among his (few) desired destinations...

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they are.

It's very hard to rate intangibles.

The knicks offer is very nice.

The celtics offer will have what should be a very juicy memphis pick with Tatum.

the Knicks and Celtics can offer the most IMO.

Plus the Celtics could offer Brown as well.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to buy the rumors but I think unless the Lakers can give an offer that absolutely blows all other offers off the table...N.O. will refuse to do business with them. The bridge is broken and burned down.

The Lakers are still going to try and they will definitely have more a chance since Griffin is the Pelicans GM. I just think it has to be a crazy great offer. The Pelicans hold all the cards now.

Unless another team forks up an offer it looks like this could be between the C's and Knicks. Still think the Lakers offer is better than the Knicks overall. I would easily take Tatum over any Knicks player including R.J.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zion won't be an allstar level player for at least a couple years. AD still wants out by all reports, even after the Zion news (and Zion is even considering going back to Duke)

I think Zion will be all-star level his rookie season, he's a freak of nature... As far as going back to Duke, that would be crazy, he's gonna be the number 1 pick, gonna get paid, why risk not getting your payday ? Once he goes pro Nike is gonna give him one of the biggest deals ever... If he's unhappy with the Pelicans just finish out your rookie deal and look at other options...

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would New Orleans want him anymore. Screw him. Build with Zion now and let Davis be a diva and run away

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tlance didn't say anything about Zion's feelings in what you quoted. He said that they would both hit RFA at the same time which would give the Pels 4 years to build a contender around them. That is pretty much incontrovertible.

There may be reasons why some other offer makes more sense for the Pelicans but that reason is a definitely plus in the "trade with the Knicks or Lakers" column.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably has just as much to do with living in a shit hole like New Orleans as it does the team.

Plus I would hate playing for a team named the “Pelicans” regardless of all other factors. They somehow topped the “Thunder” as the worst team name in the NBA.