• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why would anyone want RG3 as their QB?

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wash kicked the pooch with giving up so much for him just like Ditka did in NO to get Ricky Williams

I think the Ricky Williams trade bonanza still holds the title of Dumbest Trade Ever IMO.....
RG-3 wasn't as bad in that it was still less pics than DTE, and for a higher position player also,
But I have never seen anything outstanding about this guy from day one.....
He is a run first QB that looks slow and unorthodox and too often inaccurate .....
When he runs, I have flash backs of the infamous Kyle Boller, and that can't be good.....:faint:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Redskins fan I have absolutely no problems with Gruden's comments & feel it is about time. Much better than a weasel like Mike Shanahan who did this stuff behind people's backs.

Gruden basically put RG3 on notice that if a player wants to make comments about other players then expect to receive criticism in return & more importantly players should not be evaluating other players in this manner - just focus on your own job.

Hopefully eventually RG3 simply takes the route of keeping his mouth shut, staying off Twitter & keeping mandatory interviews to a bare minimum.

No problem with Gruden's comments either...before I actually heard what was said myself, every thing was RG3 threw the team under the bus.

He hasn't earned that right, certainly not based on his play and Gruden more or less told him that...agree...probably should've been said before now.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Ricky Williams trade bonanza still holds the title of Dumbest Trade Ever IMO.....
RG-3 wasn't as bad in that it was still less pics than DTE, and for a higher position player also,
But I have never seen anything outstanding about this guy from day one.....
He is a run first QB that looks slow and unorthodox and too often inaccurate .....
When he runs, I have flash backs of the infamous Kyle Boller, and that can't be good.....:faint:

No, the Redskins trade was far worse. New Orleans traded two 1st round picks & picks in rounds 3-7, while Washington traded three 1st round picks & a 2nd. And Ricky did put up decent numbers in NO for 3 seasons on a mediocre team. RG3 had a single good season, his rookie year when there wasn't much NFL tape on him & his QB style hadn't started taking a toll on his body yet. I would do the Ricky trade before I would do the RG3 trade.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know...I read about the RG3/Gruden comments but I just heard the quotes.

RG3...imo he threw the entire team under the bus, including himself...nothing really that bad because it was the truth.

Gruden...I get his point about you handle RG3 and let me handle the other positions...also true, but he's the one who did more throwing under the bus imo...I don't see those 2 coexisting much longer. I think RG3 needs to understand that just becuase he has a few commercials, etc...he hasn't "arrived" as a player yet...needs to humble himself a bit and realize he's still very much a work in progress.

The skins lost 27-7 against a (then) 1-8 team. I don't understand how people can be getting so worked up over him pointing out that the team played badly. Players "call out" their teammates far worse then that on a weekly basis. Maybe Griffin didn't need to say what was readily apparent to anyone who watched the game but there was no reason to exacerbate an already bad situation.

Gruden could have made his point without making it in a news conference. At this point Snyder might as well take the podium and point out that the soon to be ex-coach should be a bit more concerned with himself and the only reason he's in Washington is because his brother wouldn't take the job but what good does that do anyone? These things should be handled in house and a head coach should know better.

I don't know if Griffin does need to humble himself. There's constantly criticism surrounding him but it looks to me like that's mostly media manufactured, much like this latest scandal. What he needs to do is improve his footwork and release time. I don't like running QB's but he's not going anywhere and anyone wondering why anyone would want them is kidding themselves.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of people will share the crow with you. He was outstanding that first year, but between the injuries and some sketchy play I think the kid's confidence is shot right now. Even when he's not hurt he's not been very accurate. Fixable? Probably, but it may take time and nowadays people aren't very patient so he'll need to fix it quick.

Having a master manipulator Shanahan getting into his head and undermining him - forcing him hurt into a playoff game, bringing him off injury too early and benching him last season - didn't help either.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The skins lost 27-7 against a (then) 1-8 team. I don't understand how people can be getting so worked up over him pointing out that the team played badly. Players "call out" their teammates far worse then that on a weekly basis. Maybe Griffin didn't need to say what was readily apparent to anyone who watched the game but there was no reason to exacerbate an already bad situation.

Gruden could have made his point without making it in a news conference. At this point Snyder might as well take the podium and point out that the soon to be ex-coach should be a bit more concerned with himself and the only reason he's in Washington is because his brother wouldn't take the job but what good does that do anyone? These things should be handled in house and a head coach should know better.

I don't know if Griffin does need to humble himself. There's constantly criticism surrounding him but it looks to me like that's mostly media manufactured, much like this latest scandal. What he needs to do is improve his footwork and release time. I don't like running QB's but he's not going anywhere and anyone wondering why anyone would want them is kidding themselves.

Gruden...LOL...true.

RG3...imo you earn leadership roles in pro sports...saying stuff like, it's "still his team", etc. doesn't endear him to anyone on the team. I do agree that he's not going anywhere...unless another team makes a big offer, he will be there thru his rookie deal.

Just because you play QB doesn't make it your team...he really hasn't done enough imo to justify taking this "leadership" role.

Put your nose to the grindstone in the playbook, your mechanics, working with your receivers, etc.

Even with all of his accomplishments...P Manning didn't win over Bronco team by just showing up and saying I'm the new sheriff in town...he worked his ass off, and the WRs saw that and they bought in. The OL guys see how much time and work he puts in and they want to block for the guy...he became the leader...not so much by what he says.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You must be about the only one on the planet who believes that RG3 doesn't need to humble himself. Heck - even RG3 now realizes that.

Check out RG3's press conference today - classic. I am sure that it will be all over ESPN shortly. He went into full Belichick mode & basically answered every question with "We are focused on SF". Good for Robert. I love how the scumbag media continually tried to bait him but he didn't bite. Now he needs to improve his game on the field.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin is a magnet for criticism but most of it is just silly.

His statements might not have been political correct, especially from a guy under fire for being a me-first player, but he also didn't exactly say anything that was untrue either. He needs to improve his foot work and release time but improving his foot work and release time won't change the offensive line in front of him.

It seems clear he's a decisive player in the locker room but a lot of that isn't his fault. Jay Gruden's comments on Monday only exacerbated things.

That might be true if this were the first time he did this crap. RG3 is always quick to blame everyone else.

Oshkoshpackfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as his on field play is concerned, everyones has figured this kid out and his knee injuries have limited his mobility and or made him gun shy to run like he used to. As far as comments he made: He needs to learn to think before speaking. I don't like the fact that take these young guys and stick them on the podium right after a beat down. Of course they will speak with emotion and things fly out of their mouth unfiltered. The media needs to be held in check and made to wait until Monday mornings to have a Q&A with players. That way these young mouthy guys can be coached on what to say and what not to say and have time to cool off after an emotional game.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was painful to watch. Just focusing on San Francisco. Just focusing on San Francisco. Just focusing on San Francisco. Just focusing on San Francisco.

Painful to watch? Huh? I thought it was great & hopefully he follows this approach for a while. The media are not his friends & he needs to understand that. For the near future he should keep his answers just like this. For the post game interview mention the win or loss, state the next opponent & basically answer yes or no to everything else. Screw the media.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are taking what I was saying a little different than the intent. Painful as in no matter what question they asked it was the same answer yet they still asked questions. Painful because HE had to endure it.

Like you, I hope he learned his lesson and is better about answering questions.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Griffin is the worst first pick in NFL history. Before gnawing your tongues, and foaming at the mouth, think about the total cost. Yes, other teams had colossal busts, but never before has any team given up as much as Washington to draft a single player. The cost was enormous, and the numbers are still accumulating. When you think about the players the Redskins could have gotten instead it becomes even worse. And when you add in the resulting collateral damage with respect to those who were sacrificed on the alter of RG3, it becomes catastrophic.

Griffin destroyed the Washington Redskins franchise. It will take years and years to recover, if ever.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Griffin is the worst first pick in NFL history. Before gnawing your tongues, and foaming at the mouth, think about the total cost. Yes, other teams had colossal busts, but never before has any team given up as much as Washington to draft a single player. The cost was enormous, and the numbers are still accumulating. When you think about the players the Redskins could have gotten instead it becomes even worse. And when you add in the resulting collateral damage with respect to those who were sacrificed on the alter of RG3, it becomes catastrophic.

Griffin destroyed the Washington Redskins franchise. It will take years and years to recover, if ever.
Griffin had the potential to be an excellent NFL QB. When he was drafted and landed in DC, that was the beginning of the end. Yes they overpaid, yes he has had issues, the problem was/is the handling. Now he is not as good as he was when he came in - instead of "blooming" He needs remedial work. It's not too late but it likely won't happen. Nobody is looking for projects with a lot of wear.....

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be able to start for these guys....
IMG_3716copy.jpg

If he can stay healthy !!!!! :L:heh:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Called him a bust before he was drafted. Injury prone in college and showed he was one option and run (similar to Mariota). Mariota has a better health track record but I still think he's similar in style and will bust as well. He locks on too much, just like RG3.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Called him a bust before he was drafted. Injury prone in college and showed he was one option and run (similar to Mariota). Mariota has a better health track record but I still think he's similar in style and will bust as well. He locks on too much, just like RG3.
The similarities are there. Footballoutsiders used the term 'task-oriented QB' to describe Mariota basically saying that Mariota just follows directions and doesn't see the overall picture. RG3 appears to be the same way. I don't think that is something you fix. Thats something you roll with till the players cant run anymore.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The similarities are there. Footballoutsiders used the term 'task-oriented QB' to describe Mariota basically saying that Mariota just follows directions and doesn't see the overall picture. RG3 appears to be the same way. I don't think that is something you fix. Thats something you roll with till the players cant run anymore.

Spot on to how I see it. If I'm the Titans I take Leonard Williams. They need to continue to get pressure on Luck/Brady and Tennessee was one of the worst run teams in the NFL. Taking Williams who fits the bill at all levels would be a big improvement to that D. I also like Fowler for Tennessee. He's got a lock of flexibility in a 4-3 scheme with ability to play a DE or 4-3 OLB.

Rambulance

MuscleBear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-Draft and his last year at Baylor, RGIII said and did all the right things. He was a guy, much like Mariota, that you believed would minimize his spread tendencies with hard work(film and practice) and a great attitude. The perception is, whether or not it is reality, is that he's a primadonna that doesn't believe he has to change his style. He looks like a turd in QB's clothing as of right now. He needs a attitude adjustment and to realize that the media are not his friends, and to shut the hell up.