• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Bengals Select Joe Burrow

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers without Jimmy G were not going to the S.B. Say what you want about the play, but it's rare that you get to the SB without really good QB play. However, you can have defensive help from anywhere on the field. Bosa is a great player, but the offense was already pretty much set up, which is my entire point. You can draft a guy like Bosa when you already have the other areas of need filled out. Adding his brother to SD hasn't done anything, Clowney hasn't added anything, and as good as JJ Watt always is - he's not leading his team to the SB is he? They are all great players, and can be a franchise kind of player - but not like a QB can. Which is why, if the choice is down to a Franchise caliber QB or DE/DL you go QB every single time.

I watched Young a lot. He does a lot of great things, and no, sacks are not the be all end all … but there were a lot of times in the final 4-5 games where you sometimes wondered where he was. If he's that dominant - that shouldn't happen.
I'd argue without Bosa, they're not in the Super Bowl. Jimmy G wasn't the reason they went to the SB, he was supported by the 2nd best rushing offense in the NFL that set the tone for every game for them. Bosa was a game-wrecker, especially in the playoffs, while Jimmy G was an afterthought. Look at his numbers against Green Bay and Minnesota. They could've started CJ Beathard and made the Super Bowl. I'm not saying elite QBs aren't important (obviously we saw they are with who won the SB), but Jimmy G is far from being an elite QB. Bosa, on the other hand, was a wrecking ball all year and he's only 22 years old.

I'm not sure how much you watched Young if you think he didn't show up in the last 4-5 games. Again, I think you're looking at sack stats and thinking that's the only way he changes a game. He was getting in the backfield constantly. When you're facing double/triple teams, chip blocks, cut blocks, and offenses are running plays away from you, it's not going to jump off the stat sheet. However, there's no doubt he was dominant.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosa the better player but Jimmy G is an above average QB so they are both needed. The most important thing to the Niners is easily the run game, though.

To circle back to the issue that the Redskins have - they'll likely be looking at what is perceived to be a can't miss pass rusher or a lottery of picks to trade down because someone will likely want to trade up for a QB. If Tua isn't healthy, though, then maybe no QB has the #2 value and they just take Chase Young but if he is healthy then we're looking at an RG3 trade scenario except that the Redskins would be trading away the ability to take a safe player to trade down.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G is an above average QB
Bosa the better player butso they are both needed. The most important thing to the Niners is easily the run game, though.

To circle back to the issue that the Redskins have - they'll likely be looking at what is perceived to be a can't miss pass rusher or a lottery of picks to trade down because someone will likely want to trade up for a QB. If Tua isn't healthy, though, then maybe no QB has the #2 value and they just take Chase Young but if he is healthy then we're looking at an RG3 trade scenario except that the Redskins would be trading away the ability to take a safe player to trade down.
very debateable. thats actually going on right now in another thread.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue without Bosa, they're not in the Super Bowl. Jimmy G wasn't the reason they went to the SB, he was supported by the 2nd best rushing offense in the NFL that set the tone for every game for them. Bosa was a game-wrecker, especially in the playoffs, while Jimmy G was an afterthought. Look at his numbers against Green Bay and Minnesota. They could've started CJ Beathard and made the Super Bowl. I'm not saying elite QBs aren't important (obviously we saw they are with who won the SB), but Jimmy G is far from being an elite QB. Bosa, on the other hand, was a wrecking ball all year and he's only 22 years old.

I'm not sure how much you watched Young if you think he didn't show up in the last 4-5 games. Again, I think you're looking at sack stats and thinking that's the only way he changes a game. He was getting in the backfield constantly. When you're facing double/triple teams, chip blocks, cut blocks, and offenses are running plays away from you, it's not going to jump off the stat sheet. However, there's no doubt he was dominant.
My point being - the 49ers already had a QB they felt they could win with. That is when you supplement around the team with players. If you don't have a QB you feel you can win with, and you feel that there is a Franchise QB available to you in the draft - you take that QB 100 times out of 100 times over the DE/DL.

Young was much better at the beginning of the season/Big10 play than the end. I don't know if the suspension got him off track - but I didn't think he was nearly as disruptive as he was early in the season. Again, this isn't to take away anything he did, it's just what I saw. Teams that were at least comparable in talent to OSU in the Big10 were able to neutralize him far more often, I felt, than guys like Bosa before him, or Bosa before him. Fair comparison? Maybe not - but it's what I saw. Again, he's a dominant player - and on the right team, he's going to have a heck of a career - but I would not select him if I were in charge of the Bengals. Potential franchise QB > DL every day of the week, and twice on Sunday for me.

Others may disagree and that's fine, it's just how I feel.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point being - the 49ers already had a QB they felt they could win with. That is when you supplement around the team with players. If you don't have a QB you feel you can win with, and you feel that there is a Franchise QB available to you in the draft - you take that QB 100 times out of 100 times over the DE/DL.

Young was much better at the beginning of the season/Big10 play than the end. I don't know if the suspension got him off track - but I didn't think he was nearly as disruptive as he was early in the season. Again, this isn't to take away anything he did, it's just what I saw. Teams that were at least comparable in talent to OSU in the Big10 were able to neutralize him far more often, I felt, than guys like Bosa before him, or Bosa before him. Fair comparison? Maybe not - but it's what I saw. Again, he's a dominant player - and on the right team, he's going to have a heck of a career - but I would not select him if I were in charge of the Bengals. Potential franchise QB > DL every day of the week, and twice on Sunday for me.

Others may disagree and that's fine, it's just how I feel.
If they love Burrow, I'm sure they'll agree. If he's the real deal, it's right pick. The only issue, as I brought up before, is the drastic change from 2018 to 2019. I can't remember an elite prospect who went through that sort of enormous production shift between two seasons on the same team. His completion percentage increased by almost 20%, his YPA increased by over 3 yards, he had almost 4 times as many TD passes, but his WR group was the same both years. I'm obviously rooting for him to be a fantastic success, but how safe of a prospect is he? Is he elite, or was he a product of Joe Brady?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they love Burrow, I'm sure they'll agree. If he's the real deal, it's right pick. The only issue, as I brought up before, is the drastic change from 2018 to 2019. I can't remember an elite prospect who went through that sort of enormous production shift between two seasons on the same team. His completion percentage increased by almost 20%, his YPA increased by over 3 yards, he had almost 4 times as many TD passes, but his WR group was the same both years. I'm obviously rooting for him to be a fantastic success, but how safe of a prospect is he? Is he elite, or was he a product of Joe Brady?
And that is a completely fair critique.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is a completely fair critique.
And to be fair, I wouldn't take Young at #1 overall. If they could trade back and be able to get him along with some other high end picks, though, it would be tempting. That said, he won't last past #2-3, most likely, so that scenario is pretty unlikely.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be fair, I wouldn't take Young at #1 overall. If they could trade back and be able to get him along with some other high end picks, though, it would be tempting. That said, he won't last past #2-3, most likely, so that scenario is pretty unlikely.
Hey, if there is a team that is nearly set, and needed a franchise kind of defender - and they took Young #1 overall - it would be hard to complain.

But if you are a team like the Bengals, or in the bottom half of the league where you are a QB, or several other key pieces away from competing - then you either take the QB or trade back and stockpile the picks.

As for Burrow in college - it's a shame he didn't get 1 more year to show if last year was closer to where he was, or....

His stats remind me a lot of Philip Rivers' sr year where he completed 72% for nearly 4500 yards. Granted, Phillip did complete 60-some% his Jr year so the jump wasn't as large as Burrow - but Rivers also played all 4 years.

Regardless, whoever is QB next year, it won't matter if the Bengals don't fix the OL.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if there is a team that is nearly set, and needed a franchise kind of defender - and they took Young #1 overall - it would be hard to complain.

But if you are a team like the Bengals, or in the bottom half of the league where you are a QB, or several other key pieces away from competing - then you either take the QB or trade back and stockpile the picks.

As for Burrow in college - it's a shame he didn't get 1 more year to show if last year was closer to where he was, or....

His stats remind me a lot of Philip Rivers' sr year where he completed 72% for nearly 4500 yards. Granted, Phillip did complete 60-some% his Jr year so the jump wasn't as large as Burrow - but Rivers also played all 4 years.

Regardless, whoever is QB next year, it won't matter if the Bengals don't fix the OL.
Bengals get some injuries back on the line

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the economics of a pro-ready QB starter is too good to turn down. Joe Burrow is kind of like getting Sam Darnold in year 4 right out of the gates on a rookie contract. That might be a weird NFL comparison but you don't see modern QBs like Burrow too often. Burrow's deep ball accuracy is right up there with Drew Lock coming out even if he doesn't have the same strength.

He might end up being outside of my top 5 "talents" in this draft but I think he has the highest value.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know what Joe's capabilities are, as it was about two different seasons as you can see. What I do see is Burrow sat 3 years on the bench at Ohio State without getting any real meaningful snaps in competitive games (that is 3 years removed from leading a team). Then he transfers. Now he is away from home for the first time, he learned a system for 3 years and now learning a new system and he had a broken hand the year he was competing with Haskins. Last year was the first time in his college career where he was the starter with the same offensive playbook.

Hard to judge when he was not working with the same offensive coordinator as the starter two years in a row. Last year was the first time he had that. Then he excelled. All of his receivers looked like stars too. His coordinator gave him a system he could excel at, and he grew and worked to master it. He possibly made his WR's first round picks also. That is a true franchise type QB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrow does some things beyond just coordinators. Lots of 'off schedule' plays where Burrow makes something happen with what looks like a second read and/or scrambling. The 'Sam Darnold Year 4' thing is more of a dig on Darnold because if you want Burrow's tape in LSU and Darnold highlights from last year then Burrow looks more polished than the NFL guy.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals get some injuries back on the line
They get their 1st round LT back from injury - but the jury will be out. I'd still err on the side of protecting your QB by trading Dalton and Green, and using the cap savings there on another Tackle and Guard. The way today's NFL is built, you have to be able to protect the QB and get after the QB.

Despite being up there in age, Dunlap and Atkins are still good players, with Hubbard and Lawson and others, I think the DL is OK - though could use some depth/youth in the draft. Where they really need help is at LB, which has been a hole other than Buftict's 1 or 2 decent/good seasons.

I'd roll the dice that the DL will be OK - and use the money at OL and LB, with the draft adding depth and youth.

But - it's the Bengals - they are likely to trade back and select a safety #1....who knows.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya'll should trade down, stock up on younger high-end talent, and go with Ryan Finley for the year so you can be set up to grab Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence next year. Build it up the right way.
Chances are they will have another high draft pick next year so they should just draft Burrow and then do that strategy next year with an already estsblished QB. And if they don't have a high draft pick then that means Joe balled out and they definitely found their guy.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances are they will have another high draft pick next year so they should just draft Burrow and then do that strategy next year with an already estsblished QB. And if they don't have a high draft pick then that means Joe balled out and they definitely found their guy.
Strongly disagree. They should trade down both years and re-sign Dalton.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahahahhahaha

Burrow: Bengals have top pick, I have 'leverage'

"I do have leverage," the former LSU quarterback said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, during a reception in Fort Worth in which he accepted the Davey O'Brien Award, given to the nation's top college quarterback. "[The Bengals] have their process and I have my process. We haven't even gotten to the [NFL] combine yet. There's a lot of things that happen leading up to the draft and a lot of information gathered."

It does not appear Burrow elaborated on those comments.

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the Bengals fans out there. Any issues with Burrow saying he doesn't like cincinnati chili? Smart kid. :heh:

Cinncy is know through the league to be a bunch of cheapskates! The Bungels can not afford to sign him! Make a trade with Atlanta.