• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why the Bengals Select Joe Burrow

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade down and extend Dalton...he deserves it
Dalton hasn't had a winning season since 2015. Trade Dalton? You'd get a 6th rounder and a ham sandwich

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton hasn't had a winning season since 2015. Trade Dalton? You'd get a 6th rounder and a ham sandwich

Trade down from #1, get a bunch of picks. Keep Dalton around for his final year, let him walk in 2021. Draft Trevor Lawrence. The Bengals just have too many needs, OL and defense especially.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade down from #1, get a bunch of picks. Keep Dalton around for his final year, let him walk in 2021. Draft Trevor Lawrence. The Bengals just have too many needs, OL and defense especially.
The NFL doesn't work like that.

Maybe Trevor Lawrence gets hurt next year and stays in school. Never live for next year or else everyone gets fired.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL doesn't work like that.

Maybe Trevor Lawrence gets hurt next year and stays in school. Never live for next year or else everyone gets fired.

Maybe he does get hurt but there is a great shot he is the 1st QB taken in the 2021 NFL draft.
Anyway, if they don't like Joe...you never settle on a QB but it looks like they LOVE him so really doesn't matter what we think. They will take him #1...I will give it a 99.9% chance of happening

I don't want the Bengals to get Joe for obvious reasons

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he does get hurt but there is a great shot he is the 1st QB taken in the 2021 NFL draft.
Anyway, if they don't like Joe...you never settle on a QB but it looks like they LOVE him so really doesn't matter what we think. They will take him #1...I will give it a 99.9% chance of happening

I don't want the Bengals to get Joe for obvious reasons
I think they are pretty obviously not settling. The only thing that will come back to bite them is if Tua has a healthy career and maybe outplays their guy. But with Tua hurt, this is the easiest #1 pick you'll see.

It doesn't mean they're guaranteed a franchise guy. The Bengals could certainly screw this up.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they are pretty obviously not settling. The only thing that will come back to bite them is if Tua has a healthy career and maybe outplays their guy. But with Tua hurt, this is the easiest #1 pick you'll see.

It doesn't mean they're guaranteed a franchise guy. The Bengals could certainly screw this up.

Everyone in the country thinks the Bengals should take Joe Burrow, except fans in the same division, and that is only because they don't want to play against him twice a year and deal with him in the division. If the Bengals screw this up, it is because everyone in the country was wrong, not just the Bengals. However, the Bengals have been known to screw QB's up. Palmer and Dalton both did okay given their talent level. Difference is, both those QB's played under a defensive head coach. Dalton was not great in Zac's scheme last year, but it is a lot different than what he was used to. I have to think with all the QB driven coaches on the offensive side of the ball, Burrow has as good of a chance of succeeding as anyone else we can bring in here.

I see the Brown's fans point, yes, we have holes, and with over 65 million in cap space after releasing Dalton, we can fill our weakest need, LB. OL is not great either, but I tend to think with the growth of the young guys at the end of the year, our #1 pick from 2019 coming back healthy, and one FA move, our OL will be just fine.

We need 3 players in FA, that is all we have to attain to be competitive in this division next year, even with a rookie QB. We need 2 LB's, and 1 OL (G or RT). If we do that, I am excited about our chances.

DL Dunlap
DL Hubbard
DL Atkins
DL Billings

LB FA (Schobert/Littleton/Martinez)
LB FA (Barrett, Collins)
LB Pratt / Lawson (on rush downs)

DB Jackson
DB Kirkpatrick
DB Rose
DB Bates III
DB Williams

QB Burrow

RB Mixon

WR Green (franchise or resign)
WR Boyd
WR Ross
WR Tate

TE Eifert (resign to 1 year incentive laden deal)
TE Uzomah
TE Sample

LT Williams / Johnson
LG Jordan / Price
C Hopkins / Price
RG Miller / Johnson
RT FA (Jack Conklin)

Fill depth in through the draft at that point from rounds 2-7.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone in the country thinks the Bengals should take Joe Burrow, except fans in the same division, and that is only because they don't want to play against him twice a year and deal with him in the division. If the Bengals screw this up, it is because everyone in the country was wrong, not just the Bengals. However, the Bengals have been known to screw QB's up. Palmer and Dalton both did okay given their talent level. Difference is, both those QB's played under a defensive head coach. Dalton was not great in Zac's scheme last year, but it is a lot different than what he was used to. I have to think with all the QB driven coaches on the offensive side of the ball, Burrow has as good of a chance of succeeding as anyone else we can bring in here.

I see the Brown's fans point, yes, we have holes, and with over 65 million in cap space after releasing Dalton, we can fill our weakest need, LB. OL is not great either, but I tend to think with the growth of the young guys at the end of the year, our #1 pick from 2019 coming back healthy, and one FA move, our OL will be just fine.

We need 3 players in FA, that is all we have to attain to be competitive in this division next year, even with a rookie QB. We need 2 LB's, and 1 OL (G or RT). If we do that, I am excited about our chances.

DL Dunlap
DL Hubbard
DL Atkins
DL Billings

LB FA (Schobert/Littleton/Martinez)
LB FA (Barrett, Collins)
LB Pratt / Lawson (on rush downs)

DB Jackson
DB Kirkpatrick
DB Rose
DB Bates III
DB Williams

QB Burrow

RB Mixon

WR Green (franchise or resign)
WR Boyd
WR Ross
WR Tate

TE Eifert (resign to 1 year incentive laden deal)
TE Uzomah
TE Sample

LT Williams / Johnson
LG Jordan / Price
C Hopkins / Price
RG Miller / Johnson
RT FA (Jack Conklin)

Fill depth in through the draft at that point from rounds 2-7.

Bengals almost have to take Burrow.... But something to keep in mind, not all stud QB's in college pan out in the NFL, you just never know for sure... Burrows looks like he has it all though so the chances are he'll end up being good ... But man, Chase Young, MAN, that dude is gonna cause some issue for QB's ... But being a QB driven league, especially with today's rules, you almost have to go with Burrows, if he ends up being good you guy's can have a good player for 15-20 years potentially... So Bengals should take Burrows, and deal Dalton to someone ...

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice if things just worked that perfectly. Obviously Lawrence could get injured, Will the Bengals have the number one pick to ensure they get Lawrence? If not, they would have to trade some of the picks they acquired to trade down. Too many if's. Take the highly touted QB while you have the chance. They can still play Dalton if they choose.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals almost have to take Burrow.... But something to keep in mind, not all stud QB's in college pan out in the NFL, you just never know for sure... Burrows looks like he has it all though so the chances are he'll end up being good ... But man, Chase Young, MAN, that dude is gonna cause some issue for QB's ... But being a QB driven league, especially with today's rules, you almost have to go with Burrows, if he ends up being good you guy's can have a good player for 15-20 years potentially... So Bengals should take Burrows, and deal Dalton to someone ...

Dalton would be a good Bears QB. Trubisky is not the answer, and if Dalton has a few weapons, and a little time, he can carve up defenses. He will never be able to carry a team, but he can play his role if it is not up to him to drive the lead at all times.

There is a good chance Burrow can't live up to the hype he currently has, but you can't pass on the pick when you need a QB. If we were able to gte our hands on Chase Young and Tua/Herbert, I would be all for trading the #1 pick, but that is not going to be possible. So you just have to go with the guy that can make the potential biggest impact on your organization and that is Burrow. If anything, his first year or two with the organization, he will drive excitement, merchandise sales, and ticket sales. He might also get the Bengals a few Prime Time games.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton would be a good Bears QB. Trubisky is not the answer, and if Dalton has a few weapons, and a little time, he can carve up defenses. He will never be able to carry a team, but he can play his role if it is not up to him to drive the lead at all times.

There is a good chance Burrow can't live up to the hype he currently has, but you can't pass on the pick when you need a QB. If we were able to gte our hands on Chase Young and Tua/Herbert, I would be all for trading the #1 pick, but that is not going to be possible. So you just have to go with the guy that can make the potential biggest impact on your organization and that is Burrow. If anything, his first year or two with the organization, he will drive excitement, merchandise sales, and ticket sales. He might also get the Bengals a few Prime Time games.

Yeah, someone would have to give you guys the house for that #1 pick... If you guys were able to get Chase plus Tua or Herbert that would be a win... Plus you could get top picks for the next couple years... I think it's gonna be Burrow though, and that's not a bad thing... But I can bet teams will be kicking the tires offering the Bengals some juicy stuff...

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, someone would have to give you guys the house for that #1 pick... If you guys were able to get Chase plus Tua or Herbert that would be a win... Plus you could get top picks for the next couple years... I think it's gonna be Burrow though, and that's not a bad thing... But I can bet teams will be kicking the tires offering the Bengals some juicy stuff...

Some Saints fan Burrow fan that does a vlog said he thinks Joe Burrow would be so perfect for the Saints, that he would be perfectly comfortable with the Saints giving up their next (10) first round picks to grab Joe Burrow. That is right, I said 10.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you can get more out of Dalton than a 6th rounder. I think 5th rounder is where we are sitting. Perhaps a 4th rounder to the right team desperate to get a new QB with a winning record. Dalton with a good defense, and a solid running game could help a team to the playoffs to serve as a stop gap for the guy they bring in to take the reigns in 2021.

Best case scenario for Dalton...Los Angeles Chargers

Draft Hebert in the draft at #6, trade for Dalton and his 1 year contract with a 5th rounder. Chargers have a very good defense, solid weapons on offense. Dalton would be a very good veteran leader to come in, hold down the fort for a year while teaching Hebert the ropes and how to be a leader. Then Dalton goes FA, Chargers get a compensation pick (probably 5th to 6th rounder because I bet Dalton can take them to the playoffs), Herbert takes over in year 2.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can get more out of Dalton than a 6th rounder. I think 5th rounder is where we are sitting. Perhaps a 4th rounder to the right team desperate to get a new QB with a winning record. Dalton with a good defense, and a solid running game could help a team to the playoffs to serve as a stop gap for the guy they bring in to take the reigns in 2021.

Best case scenario for Dalton...Los Angeles Chargers

Draft Hebert in the draft at #6, trade for Dalton and his 1 year contract with a 5th rounder. Chargers have a very good defense, solid weapons on offense. Dalton would be a very good veteran leader to come in, hold down the fort for a year while teaching Hebert the ropes and how to be a leader. Then Dalton goes FA, Chargers get a compensation pick (probably 5th to 6th rounder because I bet Dalton can take them to the playoffs), Herbert takes over in year 2.
Tbh, I think Dalton is a 'bridge' QB (like the fit with the Chargers) and doesn't really have any value at all. He is right there with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Case Keenum and I don't think they have any value, either.

Anyways, I think the Bengals are in a good spot and the GM basically has a job that anyone can do with the #1 pick. Its the Redskins that have all of the pressure in the world on them.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some Saints fan Burrow fan that does a vlog said he thinks Joe Burrow would be so perfect for the Saints, that he would be perfectly comfortable with the Saints giving up their next (10) first round picks to grab Joe Burrow. That is right, I said 10.
If a team offered 10 first round picks, I think the Bengals might have to consider it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dalton...I agree, may get more than you think in return.

AJ...idk if you can trade a tagged player. I think they wasted the opportunity to move him last yr. At this point, no sense muddying the water here, I would let AJ walk in FA and pick up the comp pick next yr...supposed to be a deep WR, but thin TE draft so I would look to add another WR via the draft and look at the FA market for a solid vet TE.

Looking at the decline of the DEF...it was sudden and surprising the last two seasons. Dishing out 3rd contracts to Atkins and Dunlap, still good players, but has the DL on the older side...need to add something to Hubbard and Pratt who looks like a keeper...I've always liked Lawson since Auburn, but no wonder if he's just a guy.

33 should be a starting caliber player...65 should be able to contribute...and they have 97...4 picks in the top 100. The Bengals could have a nice harvest and get back on track to challenging for the DIV and Jan football in a yr or 2...SF won 3 or 4 games in '18 I think.
You can trade a player who has been franchised: A franchise-tagged player can be traded and teams can work out any compensation they like; they can deviate from the two first-round draft picks that a franchise-tagged player's new team must give to his previous team if the player is signed to an offer sheet not matched by his previous team

Get what you can for Dalton/Green - and spend some of the savings on 2 starting OL - probably one T and one G. Center played ok, and one guard played OK. Return 1st round T from last year, and then you have your other starting guard and tackle - and some depth built in.

Draft Burrow - draft a WR - draft best available from there on out - either depth at OL or anywhere on defense.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st - Young did NOTHING down the stretch. He was marginalized - This isn't to say I think he's a bad player - but no DE/DL is a franchise changing player. Go back over the last few DL/DE picks - none of them were franchise changing without an offense/QB that was already there.

When it comes to building a franchise for long-term success - you better have a QB, or you don't have anything. From there, you build out your lines. If the Bengals were set on keeping Dalton, and for more than just the last year on his deal, and he were worth that - I would certainly endorse Young as a pick. As it stands, there are zero reasons to pick young if Burrow is not your guy. If Burrow is not your guy, then you trade out of the pick and stock up on draft slots to rebuild an bad and aging roster.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st - Young did NOTHING down the stretch. He was marginalized - This isn't to say I think he's a bad player - but no DE/DL is a franchise changing player. Go back over the last few DL/DE picks - none of them were franchise changing without an offense/QB that was already there.

When it comes to building a franchise for long-term success - you better have a QB, or you don't have anything. From there, you build out your lines. If the Bengals were set on keeping Dalton, and for more than just the last year on his deal, and he were worth that - I would certainly endorse Young as a pick. As it stands, there are zero reasons to pick young if Burrow is not your guy. If Burrow is not your guy, then you trade out of the pick and stock up on draft slots to rebuild an bad and aging roster.
Nick Bosa was the best player on the 49ers this year, and they went from being 3-13 to playing in the Super Bowl. Jimmy G was decent but definitely not elite. They put together a solid running game, but clearly they were the Super Bowl team because of their stifling defense, led by Bosa, who was historically good as a rookie. From PFF:

Bosa reached 80 total pressures by the way of 10 sacks, 18 QB hits, and 52 pressures, each of those figures finding their own mark in the PFF record book — his 10 sacks secured him as the 13th rookie in the PFF era to reach double-digits, his 18 hits were the second-most to only Von Miller, and his 52 hurries were nine clear of the next best rookie season.

Also, your analysis of Young is incredibly ignorant, unless the only stat that you think matters is sacks. He was constantly in the backfield against Clemson, and required two (sometimes more) blockers on most every pass play. The michigan game and B1G CCG weren't much different (he actually played extremely well in the B1G CCG). If you need constant double/triple teams to "marginalize" a player, then that player is likely elite, which is why he'll be a top 2-3 pick.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Bosa was the best player on the 49ers this year, and they went from being 3-13 to playing in the Super Bowl. Jimmy G was decent but definitely not elite. They put together a solid running game, but clearly they were the Super Bowl team because of their stifling defense, led by Bosa, who was historically good as a rookie. From PFF:

Also, your analysis of Young is incredibly ignorant, unless the only stat that you think matters is sacks. He was constantly in the backfield against Clemson, and required two (sometimes more) blockers on most every pass play. The michigan game and B1G CCG weren't much different (he actually played extremely well in the B1G CCG). If you need constant double/triple teams to "marginalize" a player, then that player is likely elite, which is why he'll be a top 2-3 pick.

I do remember quite a few saying when Bosa was coming out his sack numbers weren't very impressive and he was a questionable pick that high. You're right, sack numbers don't mean a whole lot especially when you get double or tripled almost every play. It's hard to have a better rookie season than Bosa and I think the Bosa brothers had less weaknesses than Young (not many) but Young is still a #1 worthy player without a doubt.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do remember quite a few saying when Bosa was coming out his sack numbers weren't very impressive and he was a questionable pick that high. You're right, sack numbers don't mean a whole lot especially when you get double or tripled almost every play. It's hard to have a better rookie season than Bosa and I think the Bosa brothers had less weaknesses than Young (not many) but Young is still a #1 worthy player without a doubt.
It wouldn't be surprising if OSU ended up with it's 4th DROY in 5 years with Young and Okudah coming out. They're both going to be instant impact guys.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 49ers without Jimmy G were not going to the S.B. Say what you want about the play, but it's rare that you get to the SB without really good QB play. However, you can have defensive help from anywhere on the field. Bosa is a great player, but the offense was already pretty much set up, which is my entire point. You can draft a guy like Bosa when you already have the other areas of need filled out. Adding his brother to SD hasn't done anything, Clowney hasn't added anything, and as good as JJ Watt always is - he's not leading his team to the SB is he? They are all great players, and can be a franchise kind of player - but not like a QB can. Which is why, if the choice is down to a Franchise caliber QB or DE/DL you go QB every single time.

I watched Young a lot. He does a lot of great things, and no, sacks are not the be all end all … but there were a lot of times in the final 4-5 games where you sometimes wondered where he was. If he's that dominant - that shouldn't happen.