• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why I've got a ton of respect for Sherman despite wishing he would shut up

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me preface this by apologizing to adding another Richard Sherman thread, I just wanted to say this.

Regardless of what you think about Richard Sherman you've got to have a ton of respect for the guy. Sure, I don't like that he went off about Crabtree after the game, sure I wish he would just let his play speak for itself and I do wish he would be more humble about his ability but...

Here you have a guy who has been overlooked his ENTIRE life. Coming out of high school, he was recruited as a WR, the 61st ranked WR in the country by Scout. After leading Stanford in receiving as a freshman, he eventually converted to CB. He was not drafted until the 5th round in the NFL. Despite having a phenomenal rookie season nobody talked about him. Back on CBS I made a thread on the NFL board making a case for Sherman being a top 5 CB in the NFL and the general reaction was "Richard who?"

Despite being the NFL's best CB in 2012 he was still not voted to the Pro-Bowl despite being named All-Pro. It is not until now that he has finally received the recognition he has long deserved.

The guy also gives one hell of an interview. I don't care about player interviews because all you see is the typical boring, canned, pre-rehearsed, Seahawk PR approved statements come out of the players, Sherman just acts like himself and says whatever he wants. I'd rather see a player be more candid in interviews than spew the same boring garbage that you see all the time.

Regardless of what you think about him you've got to admit the guy is pretty funny too, if I could hang out with any NFL player for a day it would probably be Sherman, the guy is hilarious.

I'm not sure why so many people are so upset over him. The guy has overcome a ton of adversity to become the best in the world at what he does, something none of us can ever be able to say.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me preface this by apologizing to adding another Richard Sherman thread, I just wanted to say this.

Regardless of what you think about Richard Sherman you've got to have a ton of respect for the guy. Sure, I don't like that he went off about Crabtree after the game, sure I wish he would just let his play speak for itself and I do wish he would be more humble about his ability but...

Here you have a guy who has been overlooked his ENTIRE life. Coming out of high school, he was recruited as a WR, the 61st ranked WR in the country by Scout. After leading Stanford in receiving as a freshman, he eventually converted to CB. He was not drafted until the 5th round in the NFL. Despite having a phenomenal rookie season nobody talked about him. Back on CBS I made a thread on the NFL board making a case for Sherman being a top 5 CB in the NFL and the general reaction was "Richard who?"

Despite being the NFL's best CB in 2012 he was still not voted to the Pro-Bowl despite being named All-Pro. It is not until now that he has finally received the recognition he has long deserved.

The guy also gives one hell of an interview. I don't care about player interviews because all you see is the typical boring, canned, pre-rehearsed, Seahawk PR approved statements come out of the players, Sherman just acts like himself and says whatever he wants. I'd rather see a player be more candid in interviews than spew the same boring garbage that you see all the time.

Regardless of what you think about him you've got to admit the guy is pretty funny too, if I could hang out with any NFL player for a day it would probably be Sherman, the guy is hilarious.

I'm not sure why so many people are so upset over him. The guy has overcome a ton of adversity to become the best in the world at what he does, something none of us can ever be able to say.

Speak for yourself! :yahoo:

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a ton of respect for Lance Armstrong. He beat Testicular Cancer when he had a 10% chance of even living. I don't give a fuck if he took steriods and lied about it. He is a world inspiration for people with no hope on life.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a ton of respect for Lance Armstrong. He beat Testicular Cancer when he had a 10% chance of even living. I don't give a fuck if he took steriods and lied about it. He is a world inspiration for people with no hope on life.

Dude that guy committed fraud to cancer patients and destroyed people in his wake in what he did,he is an utter disgrace.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this whole thing is so overblown. Good grief. I would take him on the Lions in a New York fucking Minute.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, i don't 'admire' or 'respect' very many modern athletes. in my opinion, those emotions should be reserved for real people/real life heroes. in this case, for example, from my viewpoint, sherman has the emotional capacity of a spoiled 10-year-old and is an naturally gifted athlete, neither of which deserves my respect. i'm sure he has put in some long hours to get where he is, which deserves some respect, but, in general, there would be literally billions of people in this world that have suffered more and fought through more in life that would deserve my respect before another spoiled athlete.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude that guy committed fraud to cancer patients and destroyed people in his wake in what he did,he is an utter disgrace.

How though? He brought awareness and regardless of if he cheated he was going to take some form of steroid to rebuild his strength. That is what doctors prescribe, hate him for lying but he is still an inspiration. Much like Sherman would be for young kids in Compton type areas. Is he a loud mouth, sure, but he doesn't curse, drink and drive, doesn't get charged with crimes or anything just entertains.

Media and fans always bitch about giving the cliches yet when people don't give cliche answers such as Sherman and TO they get labeled bad guys, its hypocritical.

Frank Rizzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh, i don't 'admire' or 'respect' very many modern athletes. in my opinion, those emotions should be reserved for real people/real life heroes. in this case, for example, from my viewpoint, sherman has the emotional capacity of a spoiled 10-year-old and is an naturally gifted athlete, neither of which deserves my respect. i'm sure he has put in some long hours to get where he is, which deserves some respect, but, in general, there would be literally billions of people in this world that have suffered more and fought through more in life that would deserve my respect before another spoiled athlete.

This pretty much sums it up.... Well said.

He is a very gifted football player but outside of that the only positive thing I can think of about him is that he is pretty damn smart. What he did last Sunday was idiotic but how in less than a week he turned that in to most Seattle fans and people eager to play the race card in to having a pity party for him is genius.
The backlash from his ridiculous behavior was swift and severe and Sunday/Monday... So to shift the blame off of himself he concocts this story about being called a thug is somehow a racial slur and such. Now all of a sudden no one is talking about what a selfish idiot he is and the Seattle fans are lining up to offer there sympathy as he has them believing he is some sort of victim of a hate crime. It really is genius.

I do feel bad for his teammates though as all week long they are going to have to answer question after question about this guy all because he is a selfish clown who cares more about telling everyone how great he is than his team preparing for the Super Bowl.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How though? He brought awareness and regardless of if he cheated he was going to take some form of steroid to rebuild his strength. That is what doctors prescribe, hate him for lying but he is still an inspiration. Much like Sherman would be for young kids in Compton type areas. Is he a loud mouth, sure, but he doesn't curse, drink and drive, doesn't get charged with crimes or anything just entertains.

Media and fans always bitch about giving the cliches yet when people don't give cliche answers such as Sherman and TO they get labeled bad guys, its hypocritical.

Sorry but the Foundation and the money involved with what he did he is a scumbag regardless of roid's and as far as awareness there is ton's of awareness about all the forms of cancer and the whole thing is, no has turned into a scam,plus the amount of money to cancer research compared to others is staggering (That's a whole other issue).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can respect his play on the field but that is about where it stops for me. There are plenty of other guys that have overcome being overlooked to do great things in the NFL that don't have to go on camera to talk about how they have been disrespected. I respect the heck out of people that can do that of letting their life of hard work show who they are as a person instead of having to demand respect from other people with his words.

If this was maybe his first time doing something like this I would understand a little more but it seems like he does this on a constant basis as I have never seen a player have so many players push or try to punch in my life. Even the worst trash talkers don't seem to have as much hate geared towards them as what Sherman does so it makes me think he gets a little more childish and personal with these guys.

Like I said heck of a player but that is about where it stops for me with Sherman.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can respect his play on the field but that is about where it stops for me. There are plenty of other guys that have overcome being overlooked to do great things in the NFL that don't have to go on camera to talk about how they have been disrespected. I respect the heck out of people that can do that of letting their life of hard work show who they are as a person instead of having to demand respect from other people with his words.

If this was maybe his first time doing something like this I would understand a little more but it seems like he does this on a constant basis as I have never seen a player have so many players push or try to punch in my life. Even the worst trash talkers don't seem to have as much hate geared towards them as what Sherman does so it makes me think he gets a little more childish and personal with these guys.

Like I said heck of a player but that is about where it stops for me with Sherman.

well said. sherman isn't a bad guy. he's just childish in the way acts and what he says/does. it's as if he has a really bad case of short-mans' disease. doesn't make him a bad person, just annoying and unlikable.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Hard Upbringing"

"Stanford Grad"

"Does things for the Community"

RINSE and REPEAT the same tired near-cliches 100,000 times.

Nothing in your past gives you a right to be a douchebag in the present.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, seahawk fans should like him. There is really a lot to like. And if youre not a seahawk fan, i completely understand why dont like him.

What irritates me is when people say "if he were on my team, i wouldnt like him except for maybe his play". If he were on your team you would actually know about him and wouldnt just make broad judgements of his entire character over a few handpicked soundbites. Dude is really a big dork, he's not a bad guy.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, seahawk fans should like him. There is really a lot to like. And if youre not a seahawk fan, i completely understand why dont like him.

What irritates me is when people say "if he were on my team, i wouldnt like him except for maybe his play". If he were on your team you would actually know about him and wouldnt just make broad judgements of his entire character over a few handpicked soundbites. Dude is really a big dork, he's not a bad guy.

He is not the only dork on the team :lol: RW is kinda a geek in some ways imo.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other thing people may not understand is that Sherman i know without a shadow of doubt look's at it like fun,look at him laughing the whole time i mean he never displays any mean demeanor rarely,the guy loves the game and loves to play.

He get's a kick out of guys taking the game serious like they do so he throws it back into their face.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AGREED!

Fact is Lance "poured" millions into Cancer research which is good, all the while "pouring" millions into his own pockets which is bad.

Bottom line...I would take his charitable life over his selfish life style of bilking millions from stupid corporate sponser fucks anyday.:clap:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't 'respect' him. And to say no one has overcome the same adversity is just ignorant

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't 'respect' him. And to say no one has overcome the same adversity is just ignorant

Yeah I would say there are plenty of stories of guys coming out of bad neighborhoods to go on to being great athletes in the NFL. A lot of these guys that is what drove them to play football is knowing it was one of the few ways to get out of those neighborhoods.

Heck they just made a movie not too long ago about a player growing up on the streets and being homeless to then become an NFL player.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the OP...didn't realize he was a 5th rd pick...I will add...you don't get into Sanford if you're stupid...RS is the biggest name in this SB b/c of what he did and I'm sure he knows he's the best value in the NFL...hope to see him get paid.