• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why I've got a ton of respect for Sherman despite wishing he would shut up

Frank Rizzo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the OP...didn't realize he was a 5th rd pick...I will add...you don't get into Sanford if you're stupid...RS is the biggest name in this SB b/c of what he did and I'm sure he knows he's the best value in the NFL...hope to see him get paid.

Peyton Manning is the biggest name in this SB and it's not even close. Sherman is definitely a good player but if it wasn't for him acting like an idiot last Sunday he would barely be getting talked about. Manning will get talked about regardless and he doesn't have to do anything stupid or get in front of any camera he can find to tell everyone how great he is.

Peyton Manning > Richard Sherman in a landslide

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peyton Manning is the biggest name in this SB and it's not even close. Sherman is definitely a good player but if it wasn't for him acting like an idiot last Sunday he would barely be getting talked about. Manning will get talked about regardless and he doesn't have to do anything stupid or get in front of any camera he can find to tell everyone how great he is.

Peyton Manning > Richard Sherman in a landslide

:agree: Peyton is the face of the league and on the verge of cementing his legacy as the G.O.A.T. I think Sherman has become talked about more because of his antics but that is just another example of our TMZ type of thinking these days. The same reason people like the Kardashians get famous. We have become a society of mindless followers of whatever is thrown at us.

I do think there would still be some talk about Sherman without all this stupid crap but it would be football related as in "How do you think Peyton attacks Sherman and the LOB in the game?" Of course, that would be talking about something relevant, wouldn't it? We can't have anything so mundane as that.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I would say there are plenty of stories of guys coming out of bad neighborhoods to go on to being great athletes in the NFL. A lot of these guys that is what drove them to play football is knowing it was one of the few ways to get out of those neighborhoods.

Heck they just made a movie not too long ago about a player growing up on the streets and being homeless to then become an NFL player.

The person I always really liked was Kurt Warner, even though he played on our rival. He overcame alot and did it with class.

germanjohn

Splendiferous Puddin' Pop
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me preface this by apologizing to adding another Richard Sherman thread, I just wanted to say this.

Regardless of what you think about Richard Sherman you've got to have a ton of respect for the guy. Sure, I don't like that he went off about Crabtree after the game, sure I wish he would just let his play speak for itself and I do wish he would be more humble about his ability but...

Here you have a guy who has been overlooked his ENTIRE life. Coming out of high school, he was recruited as a WR, the 61st ranked WR in the country by Scout. After leading Stanford in receiving as a freshman, he eventually converted to CB. He was not drafted until the 5th round in the NFL. Despite having a phenomenal rookie season nobody talked about him. Back on CBS I made a thread on the NFL board making a case for Sherman being a top 5 CB in the NFL and the general reaction was "Richard who?"

Despite being the NFL's best CB in 2012 he was still not voted to the Pro-Bowl despite being named All-Pro. It is not until now that he has finally received the recognition he has long deserved.

The guy also gives one hell of an interview. I don't care about player interviews because all you see is the typical boring, canned, pre-rehearsed, Seahawk PR approved statements come out of the players, Sherman just acts like himself and says whatever he wants. I'd rather see a player be more candid in interviews than spew the same boring garbage that you see all the time.

Regardless of what you think about him you've got to admit the guy is pretty funny too, if I could hang out with any NFL player for a day it would probably be Sherman, the guy is hilarious.

I'm not sure why so many people are so upset over him. The guy has overcome a ton of adversity to become the best in the world at what he does, something none of us can ever be able to say.

99℅ of the american football-watching public doesn't give a shit about what he did. Maybe they talked about it with some friends the following day, but most of the buzz being generated is by media outlets with nothing better to do. That, and the super bowl weather. ESPN and other networks seized on some guy that was full of testosterone and let it ride. Then we see the reports "I think thug is the n word", and now we gotta have a huge fucking discourse about the whole thing.

A guy was excited after making a game winning play.

A week later we're still talking about it.

Anybody else seeing the stupidity in this?

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A guy was excited after making a game winning play.

A week later we're still talking about it.

Anybody else seeing the stupidity in this?

Yep, such is the world we live in. True sports journalism is a lost art. Btw, that avi is hilarious. :suds: