• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why do the Pats

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you asking because you are unsure?

Yes it does help conceal play calls, but signals are still sent in by hand as well. You can even see it being done in the picture I provided.

Your ignorance of the game is strong.

The signals sent in by hand are minor compared to the past you are just making yourself look more ridiculous please stop.... filming today doesn't give a team the same advantage as in the past.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not getting changed, mostly because there is nothing wrong with the rule, nor how it was utilized.

How come you weren't this outspoken when the Lions used a similar type play, ineligible player, earlier this season?

It' so obvious to any bystander this has nothing to do with the rule, and only your hatred of everything Patriots.

The head official just said last night that it's a time issue so that will most likely be the change. Don't argue with me about this if it upsets you call the league office.

Your coach realized that if he snaps quickly he could take advantage of the rule and he was right as your TE was wide open. Are you blind? A D deserves the opportunity to set it's D...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st did you actually even read the article?

2nd if you did, which part do you refute as being inaccurate? What evidence do you put forth to prove it's not accurate?

I don't doubt for a second that Bill taped the opposing sidelines for a benefit he perceived. It wasn't against the rules until a memo was sent out prior to the first game of the 2007 season. The league reviewed filming of the opposing teams sideline, and guess what they concluded? It's still withing the rules and by-laws to do so, so long as it's from a booth similar to the press booths.

If you come up to Gillette I'll show you where they now film the opposing teams sidelines from. Give me 5 minutes at any other stadium and I'm confident I can find where they film the opposing teams sidelines from.

It's not against the rules to this day.

Look he broke the rules and was fined. What else do you need to hear??? Take it to the Supreme Court if you feel slighted. I challenge you to do so and if you win I'll gladly apologize!

If the league felt it necessary to adjust the rules they would but with headsets they probably told BB go ahead and blow your brains out. Filming signals and whatever else he was doing won't help you today...proof is in his championship success 0 titles since.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but it's all perspective. I view it as him continuing to spit all over himself.

Bro another pats fan on here said anyone who defends BB is insane but I'm nuts? Please give it up what's next you going to defend Hitler? He had lots of propaganda too...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other sneaky teams:suds:

Other examples of pushing the envelope in NFL history.

* In 1978, the Oakland Raiders trailed the San Diego Chargers 20-14 with seconds left. Under pressure, Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler spilled the ball forward. "I fumbled it on purpose," he said at the time, according to an account on the website of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Running back Pete Banaszak swatted the bouncing ball toward the end zone, where it was recovered by tight end Dave Casper for a touchdown that produced a 21-20 win. It went down in Raiders lore as "The Holy Roller." The NFL adopted a rule the next season saying if an offensive player recovers a teammate's forward fumble after the two-minute warning the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble.

* In the waning seconds of a 1994 game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets, Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino faked as if he was spiking the ball at the Jets' 8-yard line to stop the clock. Marino shouted, "Clock, clock, clock." But then he threw for a touchdown in a 28-24 Dolphins win.

* The fake spike still is legal. Green Bay's Rodgers pulled one off Oct. 12 against Miami. Rodgers shouted, "Clock," but saw the Dolphins defense had dropped back. He improvised, without alerting teammates, faked a spike and completed a pass to Davante Adams that set up his winning touchdown pass in a 27-24 Green Bay win. "That was kind of free-styling right there," Rodgers said.

* In the St. Louis Rams' 28-26 win against Seattle on Oct. 19, St. Louis got a 90-yard punt-return touchdown by Stedman Bailey with a tactic that fooled the Super Bowl champs. Rams return man Tavon Austin set up to the left with the ball in the air, as if he was about to catch it. St. Louis blockers drifted to Austin's side. But the punt was actually sailing to the other side. Bailey caught it and had clear sailing. Seattle coach Pete Carroll argued in vain Austin had signaled fair catch, which would have nullified the return.

Carroll took it in stride after the game, saying, "The punt return was a great play by them."

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The signals sent in by hand are minor compared to the past you are just making yourself look more ridiculous please stop.... filming today doesn't give a team the same advantage as in the past.

I'm not sure if they don't understand the system. Or if they are just turning a blind eye to it

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other sneaky teams:suds:

Other examples of pushing the envelope in NFL history.

* In 1978, the Oakland Raiders trailed the San Diego Chargers 20-14 with seconds left. Under pressure, Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler spilled the ball forward. "I fumbled it on purpose," he said at the time, according to an account on the website of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Running back Pete Banaszak swatted the bouncing ball toward the end zone, where it was recovered by tight end Dave Casper for a touchdown that produced a 21-20 win. It went down in Raiders lore as "The Holy Roller." The NFL adopted a rule the next season saying if an offensive player recovers a teammate's forward fumble after the two-minute warning the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble.

* In the waning seconds of a 1994 game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets, Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino faked as if he was spiking the ball at the Jets' 8-yard line to stop the clock. Marino shouted, "Clock, clock, clock." But then he threw for a touchdown in a 28-24 Dolphins win.

* The fake spike still is legal. Green Bay's Rodgers pulled one off Oct. 12 against Miami. Rodgers shouted, "Clock," but saw the Dolphins defense had dropped back. He improvised, without alerting teammates, faked a spike and completed a pass to Davante Adams that set up his winning touchdown pass in a 27-24 Green Bay win. "That was kind of free-styling right there," Rodgers said.

* In the St. Louis Rams' 28-26 win against Seattle on Oct. 19, St. Louis got a 90-yard punt-return touchdown by Stedman Bailey with a tactic that fooled the Super Bowl champs. Rams return man Tavon Austin set up to the left with the ball in the air, as if he was about to catch it. St. Louis blockers drifted to Austin's side. But the punt was actually sailing to the other side. Bailey caught it and had clear sailing. Seattle coach Pete Carroll argued in vain Austin had signaled fair catch, which would have nullified the return.

Carroll took it in stride after the game, saying, "The punt return was a great play by them."

Aaron Rodgers must be a slimeball.

Is that like trying to throw a team offside with fake huts
or leaping over the lineman to get at the kicker
or calling time out to ice the kicker
or trying to create a fumble on a knee-down
or trying to take a player out at the knees because the NFL doesn't want head hits anymore.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about spiking the ball to stop the clock when you have no timeouts remaining?

Shouldn't that be intentional grounding?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers must be a slimeball.

Is that like trying to throw a team offside with fake huts
or leaping over the lineman to get at the kicker
or calling time out to ice the kicker
or trying to create a fumble on a knee-down
or trying to take a player out at the knees because the NFL doesn't want head hits anymore.

What does any of this have to do with the ineligible play? The problem with that play is that the D doesn't have enough time on a quick snap to set because they have to identify who is actually eligible. It's a slight of hand compared to the fake spike as the refs are not involved to help slow the D's ability to cover the receivers. Funny but if this was done by the Fins pats fans would be calling us out on it...

As per some of the other examples agreed some were slimy but they were not involving the refs holding up the D's ability to make a play...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if they don't understand the system. Or if they are just turning a blind eye to it

They would argue exact opposite if the roles were reversed...its the patriot way. Tells you enough.

By the way good signing by the Raiders I think JDR will set them straight.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While working for my current employer the Pats won three SB's. I left them in March of 2005, since then the Pats have won 0 SB's.

I returned to working for them this past spring. Just saying.:yahoo::nod::agree::suds:

Way to "take it for the team"

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does any of this have to do with the ineligible play? The problem with that play is that the D doesn't have enough time on a quick snap to set because they have to identify who is actually eligible. It's a slight of hand compared to the fake spike as the refs are not involved to help slow the D's ability to cover the receivers. Funny but if this was done by the Fins pats fans would be calling us out on it...

It's all about gaming the system.

It's not enough that Belichick did everything by the book. Now he's being called a sleaze for gaming the system.

Just pointing out some examples of other stretching the rules for an advantage.

As per some of the other examples agreed some were slimy but they were not involving the refs holding up the D's ability to make a play...

Yes now it's about getting the refs to hold up the offense until the D can figure things out.

Why do the work when you can get the rules committee to do it for you.

That Harbaugh, he's one tricky, manipulative coach.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Subterfuge and stretching the rules are two totally different things.

I guess you could argue what the Pats did was subterfuge except that in the offseason, that rule will likely get changed because no one will want to deal with it.

I still remember the Pats players that fell down faking injuries against Peyton because the Pats ran out of timeouts. BB is always pushing the envelope of what he can get away with.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about gaming the system.

It's not enough that Belichick did everything by the book. Now he's being called a sleaze for gaming the system.

Yes now it's about getting the refs to hold up the offense until the D can figure things out.

Why do the work when you can get the rules committee to do it for you.

That Harbaugh, he's one tricky, manipulative coach.

What do you not understand. The D should have the ability to know who's eligible or not with enough time before the balls snapped or its a huge advantage. Should everyone's D burn their time outs immediately until they have no more left? What is your solution then because if you say go into base zone D then you are effectively telling us that teams may have to play the game that way..every game which is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess its fitting and all since the original patriots used guerrilla tactics

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Subterfuge and stretching the rules are two totally different things.

I guess you could argue what the Pats did was subterfuge except that in the offseason, that rule will likely get changed because no one will want to deal with it.

I still remember the Pats players that fell down faking injuries against Peyton because the Pats ran out of timeouts. BB is always pushing the envelope of what he can get away with.

Those pats colts match ups were awful. Fake injuries and colts receivers tackled while running routes. There are so many examples that tarnish the pats legacy. Yet they are glorified through hype. It's almost as though they are more of a product being peddled than a legitimate team

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you not understand. The D should have the ability to know who's eligible or not before the balls snapped or its a huge advantage. Should everyone's D burn their time outs immediately until they have no more left? What is your solution then because if you say go into base zone D then you are effectively telling us that teams may have to play the game that way..every game which is ridiculous.

You're not going to get a serious answer I've already realized that. Just blanket statements along with some tantrums. That's why I laughed about the thumbs down to a legitimate OP. This thread is confirmation of my point