• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is the best governor in the nba?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does this bother people?

I could care less what they call the people who buy NBA franchises.

I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning here, but it doesn't hurt anything to change a term. And I do admire that Silver is a progressive thinker not afraid to change things.
Have you ever read 1984? If you surrender vocabulary and give in to rightspeak, you are lost.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
noun
noun: governor; plural noun: governors
  1. 1.
    the elected executive head of a state of the US.
    • an official appointed to govern a town or region.
    • the representative of the British Crown in a colony or in a Commonwealth state that regards the monarch as head of state.
  2. 2.
    BRITISH
    the head of a public institution.
    "the governor of the Bank of England"
    synonyms: administrator, ruler, chief, leader, principal, head; More
    • a member of a governing body.
  3. 3.
    INFORMAL•BRITISH
    the person in authority; one's employer.
  4. 4.
    a device automatically regulating the supply of fuel, steam, or water to a machine, ensuring uniform motion or limiting speed.

So if the governor is paying, that is a government payment, so the players are on welfare! Just kidding.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever read 1984? If you surrender vocabulary and give in to rightspeak, you are lost.

Finally a calm, rational, non-hysterical take on the situation.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don’t see the similarities between rightspeak and pc?

Nothing I can do about that.
That's ok, nothing you need to do about it.

Yes I get it, to a certain type every social program is a step to the gulag, every evolution of language is 1984, and every deviation from the 1950s white male hegemony is literally Stalin.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's ok, nothing you need to do about it.

Yes I get it, to a certain type every social program is a step to the gulag, every evolution of language is 1984, and every deviation from the 1950s white male hegemony is literally Stalin.
Finally a calm, rational, non-hysterical take on the situation.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really weak, dude. Thought this would be more fun.
Impossible to have fun with someone who immediately cries racism and throws insults.

It isn’t the NEW words that pc/rightspeak creates. It is the destruction of history and changing of existing words to mean different things. “Owner” now infers a silent, assumed “SLAVE owner”. That is aggressive and destructive. Placing anyone who does not bow to the speechmasters into the Mel Gibson or Michael Richards or Louis CK blacklist bin.

If you don’t see how this STIFLES free discourse, then again, I can’t help you.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible to have fun with someone who immediately cries racism and throws insults.

It isn’t the NEW words that pc/rightspeak creates. It is the destruction of history and changing of existing words to mean different things. “Owner” now infers a silent, assumed “SLAVE owner”. That is aggressive and destructive. Placing anyone who does not bow to the speechmasters into the Mel Gibson or Michael Richards or Louis CK blacklist bin.

If you don’t see how this STIFLES free discourse, then again, I can’t help you.

I didn't do any of that, and I don't need any help, my god the anti-pc crowd is as sensitive as an Evergreen College freshman begging for a safe space and for you can call him/her 'they'. Talk about "pc".

Not every change is a step to totalitarian communism. Not every evolution is a destructive erasure of history. Mores change, standards change, and life goes on and if you are well-adjusted and confident you don't freak out about change.

Not snarking, how has the loony SJW left hurt you, personally? Can we please ignore the lunatic left and lunatic right and remember they are fringe people who will often grow out of their nonsense? It seems like they are a big deal because the internet, but look around your real life, do you see any of that in a place that actually affects you?

OK, DL is now IL, owners are governors, and other new words will arise. Life goes on, and just fine for us normals.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't do any of that, and I don't need any help, my god the anti-pc crowd is as sensitive as an Evergreen College freshman begging for a safe space and for you can call him/her 'they'. Talk about "pc".

Not every change is a step to totalitarian communism. Not every evolution is a destructive erasure of history. Mores change, standards change, and life goes on and if you are well-adjusted and confident you don't freak out about change.

Not snarking, how has the loony SJW left hurt you, personally? Can we please ignore the lunatic left and lunatic right and remember they are fringe people who will often grow out of their nonsense? It seems like they are a big deal because the internet, but look around your real life, do you see any of that in a place that actually affects you?

OK, DL is now IL, owners are governors, and other new words will arise. Life goes on, and just fine for us normals.
You did. You entered race into the discussion (“every deviation from the 1950s white male hegemony...”). Just like if anyone doesn’t want to expose their 8 year old child to homosexuality (or sexuality of any kind) is automatically a prude and “homo-phobe”. Anyone who doesn’t support reparations is clearly a sheet-wearing neophyte. Any male who supports, well, anything is a sexist pig.

PC/rightspeak culture is looking for the offense in everything. It bends over backwards to find the most efficient means of butt-hurtedness. And everyone must bow to its feels or be labeled.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The governor or commissioner really doesn't make the rules - he mere enforces the rules as agreed to by the board of governors and those negotiated and agreed to in the CBA. The change in little things like not using the term "owner" is kind of silly, but not entirely unreasonable. The C.E.O control governor of each team is more accurate.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way - the word or term "owner" is taken from when most companies were sole proprietorships. A sole proprietor normally for example could have been Dr Jerry Buss doing business as the Los Angeles Lakers. The term Los Angeles Lakers was granted by the NBA in a contract that spells out or did spell out their obligations if the owner does not adhere to the rules and regulations of the NBA. Subsequently this is what got Donald what's his name forced out - he violated the terms of the contract regarding racist remarks. The fact is that there no team whatsoever that is a sole proprietor - all of these teams are corporations the team owners own the stock that owns the business. It protects them for tax purposes. So deleting the term is correct as it is an obsolete term in more ways than one. The correct term for the players is "Employees" They are employed by the teams. And yes, I do know that's not the reason they outlawed the word owner

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But language changes. What's the big deal? It used to be perfectly ok to call black people "Negros" and Asians "Orientals" and now it's not.
I have been told several times recently that the term Orientals is now considered racist and vulgar. I have not heard that about the word Asians, but I have never heard it used as anything less than a racial slur, so I would be hesitant to use the term.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
***** never bothered me, even when I was staying in South Central L. A., rap capital of the world...
I remember as a young boy in the mid seventies, working for an elderly lady who got skewered for referring to some black people as colored. At that point I made it a point never to use the term, but for some reason never liked the term ***** and have always used the work black or African American. I go to a black church -and they have always referred to them as Black - What I know best about them, however is they make some really good sweet potato pie and collard greens and chicken

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THAT part...^^^

the farther we go, the thinner skins get...
That reminds me of an old man 50 years ago in church - He used to say - " I don't care what you call me as long as you call me for dinner and feed me well":lol:

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been told several times recently that the term Orientals is now considered racist and vulgar. I have not heard that about the word Asians, but I have never heard it used as anything less than a racial slur, so I would be hesitant to use the term.

Thanks Simple Jack, but calling an Asian "Asian" isn't racist or vulgar. Calling them Orientals is wrong, as it describes an object, like a vase or rug.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't necessarily agree with the reasoning here, but it doesn't hurt anything to change a term. And I do admire that Silver is a progressive thinker not afraid to change things.
This is why. It’s utter bullshit

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

These people PURCHASE a franchise and OWN that franchise. They aren't governing said franchise. The players aren't "owned", they are employees under contract. Are these millionaire employees really that sensitive over a connotation that nobody is making? Of all the things they could be fixing, this is what gets viewed as progress?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not surprised this is your opinion.