• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which FA WR would you rather have?

Which FA WR do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I sure hope so, looking pretty solid this year. Just gotta fix the power play and get some more offense going. When you got Lundqvist back there a win is always possible, Biron playing real good as a backup too.

Got a favorite team?

Growing up in the Bay Area we had hockey for only a little while, then it was gone until the Sharks arrived. There were few to no outlets for youth leagues. I do know of the cost, however, and your parents seem quite cool to support three boys playing hockey - very cool!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vincent Jackson - WR - Chargers

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora suggests the 49ers and Rams as two suitors for free agent Vincent Jackson this offseason.
The Niners desperately need a vertical threat opposite Michael Crabtree while the Rams need to rebuild their wide receiver corps for Sam Bradford. "Those are the kind of teams I could see trying to go big for Vincent Jackson," said LaCanfora. The Chargers have indicated that V-Jax will not be franchised, but they are now open to a long-term deal.
Related: 49ers, Rams
Source: NFL.com
Feb 3 - 9:58 AM

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora suggests the 49ers and Rams as two suitors for free agent Vincent Jackson this offseason.
The Niners desperately need a vertical threat opposite Joshua Morgan while the Rams need to rebuild their wide receiver corps for Sam Bradford. "Those are the kind of teams I could see trying to go big for Vincent Jackson," said LaCanfora. The Chargers have indicated that V-Jax will not be franchised, but they are now open to a long-term deal.

Fixed... ;)

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Growing up in the Bay Area we had hockey for only a little while, then it was gone until the Sharks arrived. There were few to no outlets for youth leagues. I do know of the cost, however, and your parents seem quite cool to support three boys playing hockey - very cool!

Yes very cool indeed!

The Niners desperately need a vertical threat opposite Michael Crabtree while the Rams need to rebuild their wide receiver corps for Sam Bradford. "Those are the kind of teams I could see trying to go big for Vincent Jackson," said LaCanfora. The Chargers have indicated that V-Jax will not be franchised, but they are now open to a long-term deal.

He is the one i want the most, him or Bowe.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either one will significantly improve the Niners. Then hopefully they draft another WR, possibly Jones from North Carolina in the 2nd round.
Vincent Jackson/Crabtree/Morgan/Jones plus Vernon Davis. That would also improve the Niners' red-zone woes.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I would rather have Vincent Jackson. He is a bigger target and would be a better fit for the Niners. A. Smith has difficulty throwing an accurate deep ball.

Actually the deep ball is one of Alex's best throws if he's throwing at a very accute angle. He's pretty accurate with it. He's pretty bad with his sideline throws though (even when rolling out). His depth perception & accuracy is quite good IMO, but his lateral accuracy isn't very good.

And I think his lateral accuracy is bad because he has to throw all his weight into the throw to get it there in time because he has a relatively weak arm.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually the deep ball is one of Alex's best throws if he's throwing at a very accute angle. He's pretty accurate with it. He's pretty bad with his sideline throws though (even when rolling out). His depth perception & accuracy is quite good IMO, but his lateral accuracy isn't very good.

And I think his lateral accuracy is bad because he has to throw all his weight into the throw to get it there in time because he has a relatively weak arm.

He did hit Vernon on the sidelines against the Saints and the Giants. He missed Williams deep over the middle (Giants game). I just feel Vincent Jackson provides vertical threat as well as red-zone targets.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He did hit Vernon on the sidelines against the Saints and the Giants. He missed Williams deep over the middle (Giants game). I just feel Vincent Jackson provides vertical threat as well as red-zone targets.

That's exactly my point; maybe I didn't say it correctly...

When Alex is throwing a long range ball where the receiver is running more towards the end zone than he is towards the sideline Alex's deep balls have been pretty accurate. When the receiver is running more toward the sideline than he is deep Alex's throws haven't been great IMO. That's because he can simply float a ball deep, but he has to throw with more velocity on the sideline running routes.

He's also pretty innacurate on come back routes IMO. Again: he loses accuracy when he has to increase the velocity.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Alex is throwing a long range ball where the receiver is running more towards the end zone than he is towards the sideline Alex's deep balls have been pretty accurate. When the receiver is running more toward the sideline than he is deep Alex's throws haven't been great IMO. That's because he can simply float a ball deep, but he has to throw with more velocity on the sideline running routes.

He's also pretty innacurate on come back routes IMO. Again: he loses accuracy when he has to increase the velocity.

That's true. While he has gotten better at it and still can improve, that is an issue with him. It would take a lot from Harbaugh and conditioning to work on that, not sure that that can be fixed, but we can certainly hope for improvement. We would at least have to make the defense think about it (hopefully), if not gameplan for it (I'm not that optimistic).

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, thats why rookie deals have been straighten out.... down the road, talents like Mega shouldn't kill their team off their rookie deals... anymore... i hope.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smith does lose accuracy when he has to throw it harder. That's probably why he doesn't attempt many passes through tight spaces. But we can all agree that Niners need a deep threat to keep the defense honest.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not really likely we could go after Megatron given his cap hit but still this is crazy:

Megatron may cause Lions mega headache

His cap # is 21+ million??????????????????????

That means to tag him he'd have to get a 1 year 25.2 million dollar deal next year!!!

Could Megatron hit URFA??? That'd be even bigger than Super Mario! That'd almost be as big as Julius Peppers hitting URFA!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Some options for V-Jax
8:21AM ET
Vincent Jackson | Chargers | Interested: Buccaneers?, Rams?, 49ers?, Bears?, Bills? T

With the San Diego Union-Tribune reporting that the San Diego Chargers will not be franchising star wide receiver Vincent Jackson this offseason, that leaves a long-term contract as the only way he'll be returning as Philip Rivers' primary target in 2012 and beyond. Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network doesn't think that's happening, either.

"I don't see any way he's back there," LaCanfora said. "The Chargers won't franchise him, they've come out and said that. There's been acrimony between the two sides over the years and there are too many teams that need receiving help, St. Louis, San Francisco and Tampa are some teams off the top of my head. Somebody is going to give him big bucks."

But don't forget about the Buffalo Bills. Back on Jan. 27, Chris Brown of BuffaloBills.com speculatively linked the club to hypothetical free agent Jackson, owing in part to the San Diego connection in the Buffalo front office (the Bolts are on GM Buddy Nix's resume under "Past Employment"). And as ESPN AFC East blogger James Walker notes, the Bills may have a pretty sizable need at the position if things shake out a certain way with one of their incumbent UFAs:

- Tim Kavanagh​

James Walker
If Stevie's not back, Jackson would be a good replacement

"The Chargers have no plans to franchise Jackson, so it looks like Jackson will hit the open market next month. If Buffalo doesn't re-sign Steve Johnson, Jackson may be a fallback option."

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reconsidering things a bit, I'd go in this order:

Bowe
Colston (I think Vjacks will demand too much $)
Vjacks (not for $13 million a year though)
Stevie J.
DJax
Manningham
Garcon/Mecham/Doucet

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Moss ready to un-retire

10:24 AM ET
Randy Moss | Titans

As with any elite athlete that elects to retire, there were questions following Randy Moss' decision as to whether he'd ever elect to return to the NFL. In fact, throughout the 2011 season, there were a number of rumors that he was poised to sign with a team and suit back up. Though those rumors never came to fruition, there was a kernel of truth in play.

During an extensive chat on Ustream on Monday, Moss indicated that he's ready to un-retire. Now the question becomes whether any NFL team is ready to help make that happen.

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady said during an appearance on WEEI in early September that he would welcome Moss back to the Pats. At the time, Moss confirmed that he was retired, and was not interested in a reunion. With the Pats struggling recently to find a player to fill the "Randy Moss" role in their offense, might they turn to Moss? We can't rule it out just yet.

At his best, Moss was one of the most elite players to ever suit up at the WR position. If he's still got something left in the tank -- a big if, to be sure -- there could be a sizable market for his services.

- Tim Kavanagh

As phucked up as this may sound, I wouldn't mind if Baalke & Harbaugh would take a close look at this guy to see where he is "physically" and "mentally". He may be the only one dimensional player (deep threat / decoy) in free agency that I wouldn't mind adding if he looked better than he did in 2010. During the season I was wondering about Moss (when we cut Edwards)saying, if he used this season (2011) to work out religiously and revert back to his 2008-09 form, then maybe next year he could be a steal for some team. Anyway, at this stage of his career he's probally so washed up which is why I am not advocating in bringing him in. But I would take a look - give him a full physical and a workout.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Stevie, Bills close to deal?

11:45AM ET

Steve Johnson | Bills
As the end of the 2011 season drew nigh, the questions on Steve Johnson's future with the Buffalo Bills increased in number and volume. As the offseason has progressed, there's been very little by way of public progress, and some believed that the only way the WR would be back was under the one-year tender produced by the franchise tag.

However, Rodney McKissic of the Buffalo News reports that there has been some headway made down the path towards a new long-term contract. Per McKissic's sources, the club and the Johnson camp have exchanged proposals on the WR's potential long-term deal with the franchise. The Bills submitted a deal over a week ago, and Johnson's side submitted a counter-offer on Monday.

It remains to be seen how far apart the two sides' offers are, but they are expected to meet at the upcoming NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis to further hash out some details.

In a column earlier this week, Football Scientist KC Joyner illuminated some of the strengths and weaknesses of Johnson's game:

- Tim Kavanagh​

KC Joyner
There is definitely a ceiling here

"Pros: Johnson posted quality VYPA and SVYPA totals last year despite being maybe the only good pass catcher on the Bills' roster. He is the second-youngest player in this comparison and his height/weight combination fares well against the group. ... Cons: Eighty-one of Johnson's 129 targets were short passes, so he may be more of a dink/dunk receiver than a true vertical threat. What's worse, his 5.7 short pass YPA was the lowest of any member of this group, so he may have limitations at that depth level. That said, Chan Gailey's offense is built around the short pass, so he can't fully be blamed for doing what he's asked."