• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which FA WR would you rather have?

Which FA WR do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll definitely attest that the mentioned guys were very opposed to the pick. What I don't recall is lots of people loving it. Quite a few felt ambivalent about it. Speaking for myself, I didn't like it very much initially. As memory serves, I had Raji first (obviously he was gone) and Orakpo second.

yeah ok, if they really didn't like the pick, only they themselves will know for sure.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your thoughts on Mike Wallace is he worth the first rounder?

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would look at it this way; the Niners are picking 30th overall for a rookie who may or may not pan out. Mike Wallace has proven himself, so basically the Niners give up the 30th overall pick to draft Mike Wallace. I think that is a good trade, though I still want V Jax or Colston first since they wont cost a pick.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think we should take a long look at Wallace. He provides explosive plays and really stretches out the offense for everyone else!

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wallace is an amazing player, and I would love to have him on my Niners franchise in Madden 12, but I have this sinking feeling that any speed receiver the Niners add to the team will be hindered by Alex Smith's inability to throw a deep ball with any zip on it. All Alex's deep passes, while some do drop perfectly over VDs shoulders and into his hands, look as though someone hit slo-mo on the TiVo. At times Smith can throw a deep pass with touch on it, but for the most part I don't think Wallace would be the right WR to accent Alex Smith's strengths and weaknesses.

Regardless, I have faith in Harbaugh's plan to get the most out of Alex Smith. It is not hard to notice Harbaugh going to great lengths to build Alex's confidence and facilitate his emergence as a leader on offense, so I imagine Harbaugh will lobby for WRs that can compliment Alex.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Two thoughts on Wallace:

First, I'm fairly certain RFAs can still be tendered at a first-and-third round level, meaning we would have to give up two high picks. Given where we pick in the rounds, it might still be worth it if we like Wallace, but I don't think a first alone would get it done unless the Steelers are right at the cap.

Second, I tend to agree with Doobie. I don't think our team is a great fit for Wallace right now for much the same reasons I don't think it's a great fit for DeSean Jackson. If Kaepernick is our guy longterm, Wallace bears serious consideration. If we're convinced Alex is our guy, I don't think Wallace is as good a fit as a bit, physical receiver.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two thoughts on Wallace:

First, I'm fairly certain RFAs can still be tendered at a first-and-third round level, meaning we would have to give up two high picks. Given where we pick in the rounds, it might still be worth it if we like Wallace, but I don't think a first alone would get it done unless the Steelers are right at the cap.

Second, I tend to agree with Doobie. I don't think our team is a great fit for Wallace right now for much the same reasons I don't think it's a great fit for DeSean Jackson. If Kaepernick is our guy longterm, Wallace bears serious consideration. If we're convinced Alex is our guy, I don't think Wallace is as good a fit as a bit, physical receiver.

Crimson, I believe with the new CBA the 1st and 3rd tender is now only a 1st.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two thoughts on Wallace:

The Steelers don’t have any unrestricted free agents that would make sense as franchise tag candidates. But they still may use the tag.

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert said via Scott Brown the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the team hasn’t ruled out placing the tag on restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

“Certainly Mike has done a lot to establish himself as a Pro Bowl receiver, and we want to try to keep Mike here for the long run,” Colbert said.

This is a case where the new CBA may directly lead to more money for elite players like Wallace. In the past, teams were much less likely to consider placing the franchise tag on RFAs because the cost of signing Wallace away from Pittsburgh would have been prohibitive.

The highest tender the Steelers can place on Wallace now is a first-round pick tender. In the past, interested teams needed to cough up a first- and third-round pick plus a new contract to sign away top-shelf restricted free agents.

Essentially, would a team like the Patriots picking late in the first round be willing to give up a first-round pick to sign Wallace? That question has to worry Pittsburgh.

The more we think about it, the more likely it is that the Steelers will eat up some of their cap space by using the tag on Wallace if they can’t reach a long-term deal.

The other alternative is too risky.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/14/steelers-could-use-tag-on-rfa-wallace/

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson, I believe with the new CBA the 1st and 3rd tender is now only a 1st.

I was wondering if that had been changed. Did a quick search and found something from March of last year which still included the 1st and 3rd, but I guess that was before the CBA was renewed.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The Steelers don’t have any unrestricted free agents that would make sense as franchise tag candidates. But they still may use the tag.

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert said via Scott Brown the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that the team hasn’t ruled out placing the tag on restricted free agent Mike Wallace.

“Certainly Mike has done a lot to establish himself as a Pro Bowl receiver, and we want to try to keep Mike here for the long run,” Colbert said.

This is a case where the new CBA may directly lead to more money for elite players like Wallace. In the past, teams were much less likely to consider placing the franchise tag on RFAs because the cost of signing Wallace away from Pittsburgh would have been prohibitive.

The highest tender the Steelers can place on Wallace now is a first-round pick tender. In the past, interested teams needed to cough up a first- and third-round pick plus a new contract to sign away top-shelf restricted free agents.

Essentially, would a team like the Patriots picking late in the first round be willing to give up a first-round pick to sign Wallace? That question has to worry Pittsburgh.

The more we think about it, the more likely it is that the Steelers will eat up some of their cap space by using the tag on Wallace if they can’t reach a long-term deal.

The other alternative is too risky.

Steelers could use franchise tag on RFA Wallace | ProFootballTalk

Ok, there it is. I retract the first half of my statement, then. Still stand by the second part, but at 30, Wallace bears consideration.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Crimson,

I agree that Alex throws deep are not as good however, I am sure Harbaugh is going to work on that with a full offseason. Getting him into the weight room; that being said it isn't like he can't throw the deep ball with any accuracy. Remember he threw one down the middle in the Balt game (I think it was Ginn) but it was called back for a penalty. I know it is only one example however, I am sure there are more out there. Secondly, he didn't necessarily have all the time in the world (such as Brady) to throw deep.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson,

I agree that Alex throws deep are not as good however, I am sure Harbaugh is going to work on that with a full offseason. Getting him into the weight room; that being said it isn't like he can't throw the deep ball with any accuracy. Remember he threw one down the middle in the Balt game (I think it was Ginn) but it was called back for a penalty. I know it is only one example however, I am sure there are more out there. Secondly, he didn't necessarily have all the time in the world (such as Brady) to throw deep.

Alex actually throws deep down the middle fairly well, though the ball to Ginn against Baltimore was way underthrown (part of why I was so surprised Ginn came down with it is because he actually had to adjust to the ball in the air). Smith made some good sideline throws to Davis in the playoffs, but I haven't seen him do it consistently, and I'm not sure how much Harbaugh can help him improve that. If we go after Wallace, I won't freak out, though. I think he's more than just a deep threat.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think we have the offensive line to really take advantage of a speedster. there were a lot of penalties on deep throws from multiple ppl on the line. rachel's best block of the year ripped away that td to ginn

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i don't think we have the offensive line to really take advantage of a speedster. there were a lot of penalties on deep throws from multiple ppl on the line. rachel's best block of the year ripped away that td to ginn

Didn't I read somewhere toward the end of the season that neither Staley nor Davis had any holding penalties this year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't I read somewhere toward the end of the season that neither Staley nor Davis had any holding penalties this year.

Absolutely correct. Joe Staley and Anthony Davis had 0 holding penalties. Snyder and Goodwin had one each. Iupati had two. Rachal had two early in the season against Cincinnati, and then he was benched.

Basically our starting OL for much of the season had 4 holding penalties.

How is it possible for Alex to go deep with that kinda performance?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely correct. Joe Staley and Anthony Davis had 0 holding penalties. Snyder and Goodwin had one each. Iupati had two. Rachal had two early in the season against Cincinnati, and then he was benched.

Basically our starting OL for much of the season had 4 holding penalties.

How is it possible for Alex to go deep with that kinda performance?

+1

:eyebrows:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Our OL is fine, and improved as much as any part of the team as the season progressed. As several others have pointed out, they were one of the least penalized lines in the league. And Rachal's contribution to the block against the Ravens was inconsequential.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was constant pressure up the middle which blows up the pocket. unblocked rushers was also an issue against the teams that liked to bring guys from multiple angles. yes the line was improved, but it was kinda like spraying febreze on a pile of shit. it's still a pile of shit afterwards even if it smells a bit better.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL is a bit down from the list of upgrades... I mean if DeCastro "manages" to fall through the cracks to our pick, then we may pull the trigger but other than that, resign Synder and keep grooming up Kilgore or draft later and we should be fine.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
there was constant pressure up the middle which blows up the pocket. unblocked rushers was also an issue against the teams that liked to bring guys from multiple angles. yes the line was improved, but it was kinda like spraying febreze on a pile of shit. it's still a pile of shit afterwards even if it smells a bit better.

Funny, some might describe Alex Smith's season this way.

I love how you have an excuse for absolutely everything. In this case you have actually invented a problem (penalties) that simply doesn't exist. Now you're just trying to backtrack.

When Smith had time, he regularly missed deep throws down the sidelines. Period.