• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which FA WR would you rather have?

Which FA WR do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another suitor for Jackson
7:44 AM ET
Vincent Jackson | Chargers | Interested: Redskins?, Rams?, 49ers?, Patriots?, Vikings?, Bears?, Panthers?, Bills?

As the franchise tag deadline approached on Monday afternoon, we took a look ahead at possible suitors for wide receiver Vincent Jackson if the San Diego Chargers did not tag him or sign him to an extension before March 13. With Jackson untagged, we're one step closer to that possibility becoming a reality.

And so, let's continue to examine his potential landing spots. As of Monday, the list stood at seven teams, culled from a variety of reports in recent days, including the Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams and Washington Redskins. Regarding the Bears' chances, ESPN's John Clayton opined Monday that he expects they'll "make a big run" at the wideout.

But there's another interesting idea that's making rounds now: namely, a reunion with former Chargers assistant GM Buddy Nix, who is now the GM for the Buffalo Bills. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that "it is believed the Buffalo Bills remain interested in Jackson despite signing Stevie Johnson to a five-year, $36.25 million deal on Monday." That would certainly make for an interesting pairing for opposing secondaries.

There is some belief that Jackson would like to return to the Chargers, and would be willing to offer a discount to do so, although not a huge one. We'll see if the two sides can get something cranked out by March 13.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll kick the tires on VJ like we did with Assohmuah and Joseph, then we'll realize the price and move on.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One player who seems to be a good fit for the Niners is Marques Colston. Colston is big and fast (though not to the same degree as Jackson and Wallace) and has gained a reputation as a hard worker who is an able and willing blocker as well. If there's a particular free agent WR on whom the Niners should spend a little extra this offseason, it's Colston.

Yea boyyyyyyy

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners' remaining WR options
8:22 AM ET
San Francisco 49ers

A record number of franchise tags were applied this offseason (21), and three of them were placed on WRs that would've generated a wealth of interest on the free agent market: Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson and Wes Welker. The fact that the supply of top-level wideouts has decreased will potentially increase the price tag associated with the remaining pass-catchers on the market, a notion that is not a good development for a team like the San Francisco 49ers that needs help at that position.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee ran down a list of remaining options for San Francisco in light of all the tagging done in recent days, adding his take on the Niners' chances of landing each player. Vincent Jackson will likely be too pricey for them, while Mike Wallace carries a big price tag and would require them sending their first-rounder back to Pittsburgh (read more on that topic by clicking here).

One player who seems to be a good fit for the Niners is Marques Colston. Colston is big and fast (though not to the same degree as Jackson and Wallace) and has gained a reputation as a hard worker who is an able and willing blocker as well. If there's a particular free agent WR on whom the Niners should spend a little extra this offseason, it's Colston.

Ultimately, the Niners may elect to sit out on the big names on the market, instead filling out the roster with lower-priced options and a draft pick or two.
- Tim Kavanagh​

if this means not forcing and not getting far in a bidding war, fine with me.

if we can't get the top WR's, consider Meachem? also, consider Eddie Royal for the slot, he shouldn't cost a lot....don't think?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm pushing for Chaz Schilens for a low or incentive-laden contract. The guy is bursting with talent, just keeps getting injured. If he can stay healthy - a big if - he's got a chance to be pretty darn good value. Given that we need four more WRs this offseason, I say we take a shot.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pushing for Chaz Schilens for a low or incentive-laden contract. The guy is bursting with talent, just keeps getting injured. If he can stay healthy - a big if - he's got a chance to be pretty darn good value. Given that we need four more WRs this offseason, I say we take a shot.

+1

Only if, all elese fails in landing Vjax.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

four MORE?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
four MORE?

I'd say yes. Most teams keep five or six. We've got two, not counting Hastings. I'd like to go out and get two FAs (maybe Morgan or Ginn is one of them) and two draft picks. Not all of those guys make the active roster perhaps - though maybe they should given last year's debacle - but we need an influx of talent at the position.

Now, if we go get one of the top FAs, adding three might be fine. But I don't think we'll do that. I think we hit the bargain bin and make a move in the first two rounds of the draft.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could be fine with 5 wr's going into the draft. that gives us 3 spots with one being our #1 wr. then we can look at bringing in a 2nd guy in free agency or resign morgan. the last spot either ginn or eddie royal to double as our return man.

then if we don't draft someone we can just wait for june cuts

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1/8th shy of 6'4" and ran a 4.38 forty. He's a no-brainer bargain signing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
1/8th shy of 6'4" and ran a 4.38 forty. He's a no-brainer bargain signing.

Not surprisingly, given where he ended up, he tested off the charts. Nearly 6'4", 208. 4.38 40 (granted at his pro day), 43" vertical, 10'3" broad, 6.84 3-cone. Only his short shuttle wasn't fantastic.

Perhaps more significantly, the reviews of him out of training camp were great every year it seemed like, but then he would get hurt. I think he's worth going after. CA kid, has played in the Bay Area his whole career. Loads of upside with minimal risk, depending on the contract. I'm just curious what the market will be. He may never be healthy enough to be a reliable receiver, but given our situation, it's worth a shot for a guy with his measurables. Worst case we cut him and take a minimal hit on what should be a fairly small signing bonus.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd say yes. Most teams keep five or six. We've got two, not counting Hastings. I'd like to go out and get two FAs (maybe Morgan or Ginn is one of them) and two draft picks. Not all of those guys make the active roster perhaps - though maybe they should given last year's debacle - but we need an influx of talent at the position.

Now, if we go get one of the top FAs, adding three might be fine. But I don't think we'll do that. I think we hit the bargain bin and make a move in the first two rounds of the draft.

oh ok.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners done WR shopping?
11:02 AM ET
San Francisco 49ers

Late on Monday night -- well, maybe not so late, depending on one's vocation and time zone -- the San Francisco 49ers inked a deal with free agent WR Randy Moss. Our NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported on Tuesday that the deal has a base of $2.5 million and has incentives that could bring its value to over $4 million for 2012. It's similar to their one-year, $3 million deal with Braylon Edwards last offseason, though the club is certainly hoping that things work out better with Moss.

We like to focus on the action ahead, though, so with that in mind, the next question is: Will the Niners continue to shop for WRs now that they have Moss under contract?

In the opinion of Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area, they will. Maiocco acknowledges that the Niners are not likely to land one of the top FAs on the market -- such as Vincent Jackson or Marques Colston -- but could be in the mix for one of the other receivers on the market, such as Robert Meachem, Laurent Robinson, Pierre Garcon, Mario Manningham, Early Doucet or Harry Douglas.

The team could also elect to re-sign Josh Morgan, whose stock was on the rise prior to his season-ending leg injury, and Ted Ginn, who has the added benefit of being a threat in the return game.

As for Moss, ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando believes the low risk of a one-year deal was a smart move by San Francisco:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
A one-year contract gives Harbaugh and the organization all the leverage

"The 49ers can release Moss at any time. That makes this signing a low-risk proposition. Skepticism should prevail until Moss proves he can be more effective than he was while bouncing from team to team to team during a lackluster 2010 season. He's 35 years old and has been out of the game for a year. We're more likely to see an old Moss than the Moss of old, and the nature of the 49ers' offense wouldn't seem to facilitate downfield strikes."

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say go after Meachem and Schilens if Morgan doesn't resign. Niners would have at least five WRs in the fold before the draft.