• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which FA WR would you rather have?

Which FA WR do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OL is a bit down from the list of upgrades... I mean if DeCastro "manages" to fall through the cracks to our pick, then we may pull the trigger but other than that, resign Synder and keep grooming up Kilgore or draft later and we should be fine.

If an OL represents the best value at 30, I've got no problem going in that direction. Of course the OL could be improved, as could every position on the team other than ILB, RDE, P, and possibly LS.

I just can't tolerate the view that Smith can't succeed unless he's got all-pro talent across the board. That may very well be true, but if it is, we need another QB. We had plenty of talent on the offensive side of the ball last year. No one is going to mistake us for the Saints, but we had too much talent to struggle as much as we did IMO.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, some might describe Alex Smith's season this way.

I love how you have an excuse for absolutely everything. In this case you have actually invented a problem (penalties) that simply doesn't exist. Now you're just trying to backtrack.

When Smith had time, he regularly missed deep throws down the sidelines. Period.

why bring up alex smith? this is about the line...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If an OL represents the best value at 30, I've got no problem going in that direction. Of course the OL could be improved, as could every position on the team other than ILB, RDE, P, and possibly LS.

The only position that shouts upgrade is RG. C is another position to upgrade but Goodwin was solid and has 2 years left. I know someone like Konz presents super value at C but do we go that route over other areas?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
why bring up alex smith? this is about the line...

No, this was about Alex Smith and how well Wallace would fit in our system with Alex at QB. You made it about the OL by inventing yet another excuse for Smith's shortcomings.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only position that shouts upgrade is RG. C is another position to upgrade but Goodwin was solid and has 2 years left. I know someone like Konz presents super value at C but do we go that route over other areas?

we can cut goodwin and konz should be a starter for the next decade+. he would be an absolute steal at 30

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, this was about Alex Smith and how well Wallace would fit in our system with Alex at QB. You made it about the OL by inventing yet another excuse for Smith's shortcomings.

football starts in the trenches. we need much better pass blocking and heck even run blocking to be an elite offense. our lack of push in the run game because painfully obvious in the red zone.

even early in the year everyone was saying gore was done and it wasn't until the blocking schemes improved that gore started looking like his old self.

the offensive line needs to share a large chunk of the blame for the shortcomings of the offense this season.

another problem i have with bringing in wallace is who moves the chains? we need someone who can pick up first downs. we would have two vertical threats in vernon and wallace, but nothing reliable underneath.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
football starts in the trenches. we need much better pass blocking and heck even run blocking to be an elite offense. our lack of push in the run game because painfully obvious in the red zone.

even early in the year everyone was saying gore was done and it wasn't until the blocking schemes improved that gore started looking like his old self.

the offensive line needs to share a large chunk of the blame for the shortcomings of the offense this season.

another problem i have with bringing in wallace is who moves the chains? we need someone who can pick up first downs. we would have two vertical threats in vernon and wallace, but nothing reliable underneath.

I still see our struggles at least in part as a product of teams stacking the box to take away the run, try to pressure the QB, and force Alex to make them pay. He did a decent job of that earlier in the season, but seemed to struggle more and more against the blitz as the season progressed.

Our OL can improve, but it is good enough to return better results than the offense had. Of the ten top offenses in terms of yardage and points, Green Bay, Detroit, San Diego, NY Giants, Oakland, and Atlanta all have mediocre-to-bad OLs. Yet these offenses were still effective.

There is no doubt that every position group on offense bears some blame for our struggles. Even the TEs, probably our best group, were pretty shaky early in the season. The WRs were well below average, especially in the postseason. And Gore seemed to really lose a step midway through the season.

But even as all these groups are responsible for the poor offensive output, the QB position bears every bit as much responsibility as any other, and very likely more given the nature of the position. Smith took a shit-ton of sacks this season, many of which he could have avoided. He rarely hit open receivers down the field outside the numbers. For three or four games in the middle of the season he couldn't hit Crabtree - who was consistently getting open - to save his life. He had a lot of balls batted at the line. He had a tendency to throw the slant too high. Other than protecting the football, I can't say that Smith was in the top-10 of the NFL in anything, and he sure as hell didn't elevate the play of his teammates on a regular basis.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again it all starts with the offensive line. i'm not expecting a dallas cowboys of the 90s offensive line, but we need much better play. it gets hard to evaluate an offense when the line is below average, because so many plays are gonna get blown up before they get going. like i said earlier in the year how can u function as an offense with no push and no pocket?

crabtree and smith weren't on the same page when he got back from injury. crabtree isn't a burner so he needs to run better routes. if we brought in wallace, we would need crabtree to step up and be the guy who can get those key 1st downs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
again it all starts with the offensive line. i'm not expecting a dallas cowboys of the 90s offensive line, but we need much better play. it gets hard to evaluate an offense when the line is below average, because so many plays are gonna get blown up before they get going. like i said earlier in the year how can u function as an offense with no push and no pocket?

crabtree and smith weren't on the same page when he got back from injury. crabtree isn't a burner so he needs to run better routes. if we brought in wallace, we would need crabtree to step up and be the guy who can get those key 1st downs.

And again, I'd say it all starts with the QB. Eli has a terrible OL. Two tackles and the C on the 10-worst lists. But he was great this year. A great QB can compensate for shortcomings along his OL.

It's also worth noting that we have guys at TE and RB who are among the better blockers in the league.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gore kinda whiffed on plenty of blocks this year. miller was a stud tho in pass blocking if that's who u mean

and the giants really ramped up their play on both side of the trenches the last half of the season. eli played lights out, but that offense has had time to gel. cruz and nicks played really well this year.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gore kinda whiffed on plenty of blocks this year. miller was a stud tho in pass blocking if that's who u mean

and the giants really ramped up their play on both side of the trenches the last half of the season. eli played lights out, but that offense has had time to gel. cruz and nicks played really well this year.

I didn't pay close enough attention to dispute this, but from what I remember with Gore's biggest whiffs... he had to choose between two unblocked rushers.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't pay close enough attention to dispute this, but from what I remember with Gore's biggest whiffs... he had to choose between two unblocked rushers.

usually but i recall at least one time where he took the wrong guy. but he also seemed a bit lazy on a number of plays. maybe he needs a bit more rest during games.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The same could be said of the Niners. Our OL was abhorrent to start the season, but improved as the year progressed.

David Diehl was an unmitigated disaster throughout the season, and especially in the playoffs. During the regular season, he allowed 65 pressures. We didn't have a player who came close to being that kind of a liability. Goodwin and Snyder combined to allow 46 pressures.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Latest on Stevie, Bills
8:25AM ET
Steve Johnson | Bills

Earlier this week, a report from the Associated Press indicated that the Buffalo Bills and the Steve Johnson camp remain far apart in talks; furthermore, the WR indicated that he didn't think the team would use its franchise tag on him.

Rodney McKissic of the Buffalo News reports that this feeling continues: it is not expected that the team will use the designation on the WR. So it'll either be a long-term extension for Johnson or he won't be back. ESPN AFC East blogger James Walker opined recently that if Johnson hits the market, it's unlikely that the Bills will be able to retain him, so the pressure is certainly on prior to March 13.

If Johnson does hit the open market, he's been cited as a strong option for the New England Patriots, based upon his capabilities as a deep threat, his strong play against Darrelle Revis, and the fact that he's played well against New England in the past. But the Pats are not the only team looking for WR help this offseason, and teams like the Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars -- in need of multiple additions at WR -- would also make sense as a destination.

- Tim Kavanagh

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
usually but i recall at least one time where he took the wrong guy. but he also seemed a bit lazy on a number of plays. maybe he needs a bit more rest during games.

there were more than a few times i noticed this too. this isn't enough to confirm his current blocking ability, or eagerness to block now. but yeah, did notice he had a few misses and a few 'poor' blocks.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just a follow up on something i just read on New England...

The Patriots and the 3-cone drill: While New England covets speed, it’s also looking for players to be quick. To that end, the Patriots have traditionally put a lot of stock — maybe more than most teams — in events like the 3-cone drill in their pre-draft workouts that measure shiftiness and an ability to turn on a dime.

At the combine, the drill goes like this: Three cones are placed in an L shape. Players go 5 yards to the first cone and back, then to the second cone and back. Then, they run a loop around the third cone, switch direction and come back around the second cone. If you can finish the process in less than seven seconds, you’re looking at someone with good foot speed.

Through the years, several Patriots’ picks excelled at the 3-cone drill, whether it was at the combine or at their respective Pro Day. Julian Edelman had a 6.62 second time in the 3-cone drill as a collegian, while Devin McCourty’s 6.7 at the 2010 combine put him second among all corners. Deion Branch clocked a 6.71 (at the 2002 combine), Chad Jackson (at the 2006 combine) was 6.74 and Wes Welker was 7.06 as a collegian. If you’re looking for a prospect to distinguish him in the eyes of the New England brass, this drill is a good one to look for.

so adding at least one shifty receiver shouldn't cost a HIGH pick?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Updated: March 5, 2012,
11:46 AM ET

Source: 5-year deal for Stevie Johnson

The Buffalo Bills signed wide receiver Stevie Johnson to a contract extension Monday, the team announced.

The Bills didn't disclose terms of the agreement, but a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Johnson received a five-year, $36.25 million deal that includes $19.5 million guaranteed and over $24 million in the contract's first three years.

"Done deal. Lets GOOOOOOO BUFFALO!!!! Fitzmagic better get his mohawk asap. Thanks to Mr Wilson, OBD, & the #BillsMafia," Johnson wrote on Twitter, also posting a link to a photo of him signing his new contract.

"Fitzmagic" is Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who welcomed Johnson back to the Bills by having "He's Back" shaved into the side of his head. Johnson posted a picture of Fitzpatrick's hair tribute in another tweet, writing, "My man Fitzmagic came thru for me & all of you. Had to sign...check it out. 13 isn't anything w/out14, now you see why."

Stevie Johnson
#13 WR
Buffalo Bills
2011 STATS

Rec
76Yds
1004TD
7Avg
13.2Long
55YAC

Johnson, 25, led the Bills with 76 catches, joining Eric Moulds as the only Bills receivers to have 75 in consecutive seasons.

He also became the first Bills receiver in the franchise's 52-year history to post back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. He finished with 1,004 yards.

Johnson, however, was penalized twice in five weeks for excessive touchdown celebrations -- the second leading to a benching by coach Chan Gailey for the final three quarters of a season-ending 49-21 loss at New England.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tag off the table for V-Jax?
9:28 AM ET

Vincent Jackson | Chargers

In recent remarks, San Diego Chargers GM A.J. Smith did not rule out the franchise tag for impending FA WR Vincent Jackson, though it remains unlikely. In fact, according to a report Sunday from Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, those chances are very unlikely:

"No one among the Chargers' decision makers believes placing the tag on the Pro Bowl wide receiver is a sound decision or that it will happen. The possibility was estimated by multiple sources last week at less than 1 percent." [Editor's note: Well, that's better than one out of a million].

Since some close to the WR believe that he'd take a lesser deal from the Chargers to stay with Philip Rivers and Norv Turner, Acee believes that the Bolts can wait and see what kind of real offers the WR gets from other teams after the market opens on March 13. After checking with Jackson's agent, they can then offer what they believe is a fair deal to continue the business relationship. If that sequence of events takes place, we obviously shouldn't expect Jackson to be one of the first FAs to sign on March 13.

Other teams believed to be interested in Jackson include the Chicago Bears, Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots, St. Louis Rams and Washington Redskins.

- Tim Kavanagh

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Two thoughts on Wallace:

Second, I tend to agree with Doobie. I don't think our team is a great fit for Wallace right now for much the same reasons I don't think it's a great fit for DeSean Jackson. If Kaepernick is our guy longterm, Wallace bears serious consideration. If we're convinced Alex is our guy, I don't think Wallace is as good a fit as a bit, physical receiver.

Excellent point and I wouldn't think Wallace would want to come here with Alex under center anyway...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just a follow up on something i just read on New England...

The Patriots and the 3-cone drill: While New England covets speed, it’s also looking for players to be quick. To that end, the Patriots have traditionally put a lot of stock — maybe more than most teams — in events like the 3-cone drill in their pre-draft workouts that measure shiftiness and an ability to turn on a dime.

At the combine, the drill goes like this: Three cones are placed in an L shape. Players go 5 yards to the first cone and back, then to the second cone and back. Then, they run a loop around the third cone, switch direction and come back around the second cone. If you can finish the process in less than seven seconds, you’re looking at someone with good foot speed.

Through the years, several Patriots’ picks excelled at the 3-cone drill, whether it was at the combine or at their respective Pro Day. Julian Edelman had a 6.62 second time in the 3-cone drill as a collegian, while Devin McCourty’s 6.7 at the 2010 combine put him second among all corners. Deion Branch clocked a 6.71 (at the 2002 combine), Chad Jackson (at the 2006 combine) was 6.74 and Wes Welker was 7.06 as a collegian. If you’re looking for a prospect to distinguish him in the eyes of the New England brass, this drill is a good one to look for.

so adding at least one shifty receiver shouldn't cost a HIGH pick?

I've always felt that the 3-cone is more important for most positions than the 40. For CBs and WRs, and maybe RBs, the 40 is also fairly important. But I'll take a guy with good quickness over a guy with good straight-line speed for most positions most days.