• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When Michael Sam the gay player from Missouri is not drafted what will the excuses be?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. If he was straight there is almost zero chance he would be drafted thus far.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think football seasons played on the field and senior days mean a lot more than the combine. Why does everyone put so much stock in the combine? I think it would be about last on the list of important things that are football related.

anyway, I take it you watched a lot of Missouri football last year huh? I can't say did, not one game even, but I have a hard time believing a guy voted best defensive player in a very competitive conference isn't at least adequate at the game.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC defensive player of the year is meaningless.

We have had far more decorated college award winners not get a sniff.

Tommie Frazier won Big 8 OVERALL player of the year, First team all-America, ORange Bowl MVP, Senior Bowl MVP, while leading his team to the greatest run ever of wins.
Heck some Heisman winners don't get a chance like Charlie Ward or Geno Toretta.

Just because someone wins a COLLEGE award does not translate to a PRO career.
And in the scheme of things, SEC defensive player of the year is a somewhat minor award.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to add this to my post above, but missed the edit window

Since I don't really watch the SEC much I went back and looked at the previous SEC defensive awards.

2004-David Pollack
2005- DeMeco Ryans
2006- Patrick Willis
2007- Glen Dorsey
2008- Eric Berry
2009- Rolando McClain
2010- Nick Fairley
2011- Morris Claiborne
2012- Jadaveon Clowney and Jarvis Jones
2013- Mosley and Michael Sam

anyway, I'd say the people making the choices and handing out the awards have a history of giving it to defensive players with the skill set to at least be decent in the NFL if not a standout. Most of the guys on that list have proven they can play in the nfl or are already drafted this year in the first round. Injury is about the only thing that prevented some of them from being very good players for a while in this league.

or is someone going to try and tell me that list is void of defensive talent playing in the nfl today? LOL

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. If he was straight there is almost zero chance he would be drafted thus far.
I agree doubt his sexual preference has anything to do with where and when he gets drafted. He played really well at his position in college getting SEC D player of the year. Having said that he is just too small for that position in the NFL. Last player that I can think of that was successful is Robert Mathis

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow was also SEC player of the year. It doesn't necessarily translate and teams are in most cases smart enough to ignore things like awards and focus on actual ability to contribute. Sam wasn't getting drafted in the first three rounds regardless.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am rooting for the guy to get drafted.
I hope he gets drafted and can be productive without a permanent media circus. He deserves that...

But:

JASON WHITE
2003 Heisman Trophy winner
2003, 2004 Davey OBrien
2003 AP Player of the year
Sporting News player of the year
Maxwell Award winner
Complete 63% of his passes for 75 TDs/19 ints his last 2 season
He was never drafted.
People need to stop focusing on a COLLEGE award.
There is precedent all the time of great college players being ignored by the NFL.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he gets drafted and can be productive without a permanent media circus. He deserves that...

But:

JASON WHITE
2003, 2004 Davey OBrien
Maxwell Award winner
He was never drafted.
There is precedent all the time of great college players being ignored by the NFL.

This. Think about the numerous Heisman award winners that have flopped in the NFL. Awards mean jack shit.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But:

JASON WHITE
2003, 2004 Davey OBrien
Maxwell Award winner
He was never drafted.

Bad argument my friend: quarterback is a different position than any other. You can only have one quarterback on the field. You can have 3 to 4 linebackers/defensive end at the same time. You could also put him on special teams. It would be silly not to draft Sam. He was highly productive and somebody you should draft in the lower rounds and give him a tryout or two.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Think about the numerous Heisman award winners that have flopped in the NFL. Awards mean jack shit.

Sorry, it's a bad argument. Quarterback is different than any other position. Most players drafted in the later rounds get cut. Why not take a chance on him in the late, late rounds and see if you have something? If not, then cut him and lose nothing.

Award winners have flopped, but did they deserve NOT to get drafted is the real question, particularly when you're talking about a non-quarterback.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, it's a bad argument. Quarterback is different than any other position. Most players drafted in the later rounds get cut. Why not take a chance on him in the late, late rounds and see if you have something? If not, then cut him and lose nothing.

Award winners have flopped, but did they deserve NOT to get drafted is the real question, particularly when you're talking about a non-quarterback.

The reason no team is taking a chance on Sam is because he is not a good player. Why take a chance on a player who you don't think will help your team or has the potential to improve? All of the analysts on NFL Network & ESPN agree. If the dude wasn't gay, no one would be mentioning him.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how everyone chimes in with completely unrelated award lists. I'm wondering what you think of the sec defensive players of the year chosen over the past decade or so. Is that list full of no names? Full of NFL flops? Filled with bad players who's skills didnt translate to the pro game?

Or does it have a history of choosing players specifically on the defensive side of the ball in the sec conference that do well at the next level?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason no team is taking a chance on Sam is because he is not a good player. Why take a chance on a player who you don't think will help your team or has the potential to improve? All of the analysts on NFL Network & ESPN agree. If the dude wasn't gay, no one would be mentioning him.

It's only the fifth round sir. There are 7 rounds in the NFL draft. He's seen as a 4th to 7th round prospect.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN just showed Michael Sam. Am I the only one who finds it hilariously ironic that he's wearing a pink shirt?

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or not even drafted Charlie Ward comes to mind. Good thing for Nba