• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whats the reasoning for NBA regular season ratings being in the tank?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the presidential election that cut into about 2 weeks of the NBA season absolutely destroyed the overall years ratings.

Forget the fact that everyone knows the finals is going to be Warriors/Cavs, the entire season felt like a giant preseason.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome.

I am friends with a 40 year old black guy who hates the NBA too. What is your point? A lot of people don't like the NBA. I also know plenty of people of all races who love it. Why make it about skin color?

What i have definitely found to be true is that the NBA appeals more to younger generations of fans. The average kid loves the NBA. Adults tend to become less interested as they get older and the game evolves away from the one they grew up watching.
Didnt really have a point, i was stating my experience.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to find different white people to hang out with then.

I'm a nearly 55 year old white guy and I love the NBA. So do the other nearly 55 year old white guys that I know.

We all have our criticisms of it, but we know the game changes over time and have enjoyed each "era" for what it was.
I wish more people thought like this. When the playoffs come around and i ask who is watching, usually get a , "i used to watch the NBA..." and some bullshit follows. Anyway, to me your not a sports fan if you give up on an entire sport. I really dont get that.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I hear it to.

But, I don't think it's predominantly one group....at least from what I have seen.

I don't know if you fall into the Baby Boomer, Gen x or Millennial category.

Baby Boomers think the NBA is pussified due to the AAU influence and the emergence/focus on analytics. They think Gen X players took the easy way out by playing buddy ball and that the way the Millenial players like Westbrook dress like straight up homosexuals.

Gen X don't give a fuck, hate hard, goes with the flow of small ball vs. Building around a big man and thinks the Boomers are dinosaurs that need to evolve, and that the millenials are fucking retarded.

The millenials root for players, not teams, believe you can construct a championship roster using advanced calculus, and that Steph Curry is the GOAT. They have no fucking idea who George Gervin is, let alone George Mikan.

Some of these generalizations apply to people in those age groups. But, we are not one size fit all, Bro.

Gotta be careful lumping everybody into one category.
I agree with you. Especially the Millennial thing. But seriously, fuck George Mikan lmao. He played when everything was in black and white, fucking savage.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish more people thought like this. When the playoffs come around and i ask who is watching, usually get a , "i used to watch the NBA..." and some bullshit follows. Anyway, to me your not a sports fan if you give up on an entire sport. I really dont get that.

I think that comes back to the age thing though.

My Dad got me into basketball when I was very young. We watched games together all the time. He started losing interest in the 90s when he felt that the league was providing its stars with different sets of rules than everybody else. It really rubbed him the wrong way and he centrally stopped watching all together.

You see people come in these threads all the time talking about the "glory days of the NBA", referring to whatever era they grew up watching. I bet if you polled 30-60 year olds, you would find a large percentage who said they used to be fans as kids, but aren't anymore for one reason or another.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me either. Nothing wrong with preferring a particular era or style of play over another. But the sport itself is ultimately the same.

As I've said, the 80's was my favorite era, the 90's was my least favorite because it became too violent. But I still watched and enjoyed the 90's era for what it was.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Anthony Harding play defense. A potential MVP should not be this bad on 1/2 of his game. No wonder scoring stats are up, after all how hard could it be to score at will when the so called best are garbage defenders.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Anthony Harding play defense. A potential MVP should not be this bad on 1/2 of his game. No wonder scoring stats are up, after all how hard could it be to score at will when the so called best are garbage defenders.

Who is Anthony Harding?

Is that Tonya's brother?

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) It's garbage me me basketball
2.) Rigged worse than the WWE
3.) Kobe retired
4.) Few likable NBA players
5.) Overpaid
6.) 70% black
7.) College game is better

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ratings all across the board are down. More people are turning to streaming most likely.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.) Kobe retired
5.) Overpaid
6.) 70% black

Da fuq? Is that % too high or too low for ya?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.) Kobe retired
5.) Overpaid
6.) 70% black

Seems like you arent a basketball fan. Makes sense then

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a lifelong NBA fan I used to laugh at the old guys who dismissed the NBA for stupid ass reasons when I was young. But now I find myself as the old white guy and I can't feel the NBA either, regular season for sure, but for a different reason.

I think a lot of us saw Kevin Durant sign with Golden State and realized that we need to stop pretending this is a sport. All thought of legit competition went out the door. Sure I followed my team as they advanced in the playoffs. But I know damned well the Washington Wizards have zero chance of winning the title even as they advance deep into the playoffs.

In a few weeks we will see Golden State beat the Cavs in the NBA Finals and it holds about as much suspension and drama as the Globetrotters beating the Washington Nationals. We all knew how this would shake out before the first ball was put in play. Who didn't see Cleveland and Golden State in the Finals on November 1? So it's kind of hard to get excited over regular season games when you know damned well who will be there in the end. There is no doubt a lot of people feel this way and it just had to have an effect on the ratings.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too long of a season for a shit product.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did enjoy the old style basketball while recognizing the amazing talents of today's players. 1977 was the dark days of the NBA with hockey like ratings. But damn that Blazers team, with their constant motion offense, back door cuts and tremendous passing, was just more fun to watch than the isolation, one on one, jack up another three game of today.

But again the real reason is the regular season is meaningless, preseason is a good description. Hell the playoffs are meaningless when everyone knew before the opener that Cleveland and Golden State would meet in the Finals.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think game 3 of the Warriors Jazz series kind of showed the lack of parity that is there right now. Klay and Curry had their worst playoff shooting games of their careers, Green was missing in action due to his annual mental lapse and loss of composure. During all of that Jazz played within their system as good as you can hope. End result: Durant backs in Hayward, hits an entire catalog of heavily guarded fade away long two's and keep the warriors in it single handedly until Curry finds his shot late.

That game was the exactly what an under dog needs to take a game, it could have not gone better for the Jazz, and the Warriors still take it in double digits.

That being said, I loved watching that game, that was some fantastic basketball, I think anyone that is a fan of the game would agree. However if you are a fan of your team only I can see why that might lead you to turn it off. If you don't love basketball but love the Jazz there was nothing for you in that series.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.) Kobe retired
5.) Overpaid
6.) 70% black

Da fuq? Is that % too high or too low for ya?

th

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you see the Lakers and Celtics back at the top you will see the ratings rise. We absolutely hate each others franchise. Lets put Wall on the Lakers along with Draymond Green. Who do you hate most TrojanFan? Thats who we will add. Damn those were great years