• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-2023 NBA Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure.

And again, you are assuming that was even an option.

Phil wasn’t the only one fed up with Krause. Pippen was done too.

The band wasn’t coming back.
Yes, I get it's a hypothetical and with the band not coming back he wanted no part of things getting harder. My opinion is if they were coming back he stays. Can I prove that? Nope...but it's a sound opinion. As is yours that he was not coming back regardless.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I get it's a hypothetical and with the band not coming back he wanted no part of things getting harder. My opinion is if they were coming back he stays. Can I prove that? Nope...but it's a sound opinion. As is yours that he was not coming back regardless.

He stuck around when Jordan retired to play basketball. Let's not act like he ran for the hills at the first sign of trouble. Krause dumped him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He did not have the option to stay.

His contract was up. Jerry Krause hired Tim Floyd.

He didn’t want Phil back.

Why would anyone in their right mind fight to stay in that situation to coach a rebuilder for a GM who doesn’t want you there?

They wouldn’t. Pop wouldn’t have stayed either. He is wanted in San Antonio.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He stuck around when Jordan retired to play basketball. Let's not act like he ran for the hills at the first sign of trouble. Krause dumped him.
Not far fetched to think he was made aware MJ would eventually return. Also under contract. Different than walking away after contract ends.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not far fetched to think he was made aware MJ would eventually return. Also under contract. Different than walking away after contract ends.

Stop it.

MJ was a wreck when he retired.

MJ himself didn’t know if or when he would come back.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did not have the option to stay.

His contract was up. Jerry Krause hired Tim Floyd.

He didn’t want Phil back.

Why would anyone in their right mind fight to stay in that situation to coach a rebuilder for a GM who doesn’t want you there?

They wouldn’t. Pop wouldn’t have stayed either. He is wanted in San Antonio.
He did talk to him about coming back. Seems the claim is his feelings were hurt already. Now I can agree with no Pippen and MJ why come back....but maybe MJ returns if his coach does? Some in this thread (not sure if you) said MJ left because no Phil.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop it.

MJ was a wreck when he retired.

MJ himself didn’t know if or when he would come back.
In fact, we do not know if that is true (that MJ did not know he'd one day return). Plus there's that Phil being under contract and a little different than walking away when not under contract.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact, we do not know if that is true (that MJ did not know he'd one day return). Plus there's that Phil being under contract and a little different than walking away when not under contract.

MJ said he didn’t know he would return.

Don’t know why you would choose to make up your own contrived version of events.

I get that in your world “we don’t know anything”.

But cmon man.

He walked away from the game and tried another pro sport. There were absolutely other variables that could have kept him away from basketball for good.

Whether or not Phil believed MJ was coming back, he couldn’t have known for sure or known when.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ said he didn’t know he would return.

Don’t know why you would choose to make up your own contrived version of events.

I get that in your world “we don’t know anything”.

But cmon man.

He walked away from the game and tried another pro sport. There were absolutely other variables that could have kept him away from basketball for good.

Whether or not Phil believed MJ was coming back, he couldn’t have known for sure or known when.
whether you believe it or not you are ignoring the having a contract vs. not having a contract. Makes a difference, doesn't it?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whether you believe it or not you are ignoring the having a contract vs. not having a contract. Makes a difference, doesn't it?

I never made the claim that he could have walked away.

You knock him for not enduring challenge.

This was challenge.

So were other teams he win titles with.

But you choose to ignore that and act like anyone could have done it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never made the claim that he could have walked away.

You knock him for not enduring challenge.

This was challenge.

So were other teams he win titles with.

But you choose to ignore that and act like anyone could have done it.
But it was mentioned how he stayed even though MJ left.....to which I try to remind you he had a contract then.

In fact, I have not said anyone could have won a title and have no issue agreeing Phillip is a really good coach when it comes to getting elite players to play well and controlling those types of players, too.

For some reason you object to my rationale of not including Phillip on my top 3 coaches list and think he may only be #4.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did talk to him about coming back. Seems the claim is his feelings were hurt already. Now I can agree with no Pippen and MJ why come back....but maybe MJ returns if his coach does? Some in this thread (not sure if you) said MJ left because no Phil.

Phil was offered to come back in January of 1999 to try to keep Jordan (and after Tim Floyd had already been hired). The strike had kept the season from starting yet. It was Reinsdorf, not Krause that did so.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it was mentioned how he stayed even though MJ left.....to which I try to remind you he had a contract then.

In fact, I have not said anyone could have won a title and have no issue agreeing Phillip is a really good coach when it comes to getting elite players to play well and controlling those types of players, too.

For some reason you object to my rationale of not including Phillip on my top 3 coaches list and think he may only be #4.

I really don’t care where you rank him.

But your logic is flawed.

Bottom line, some coaches are better suited for different stages of roster construction. I don’t know how Phil would have done with a rebuilder. But that is irrelevant.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t care where you rank him.

But your logic is flawed.

Bottom line, some coaches are better suited for different stages of roster construction. I don’t know how Phil would have done with a rebuilder. But that is irrelevant.
My logic is far from flawed. You just disagree. If we are talking taking on challenges and doing more with less (which I like to see) Phillip certainly is not on the level of Spo and Brown. I guess you could make an argument he is with Pop, but Duncan/Kawhi, etc. are not MJ or Kobe IMO.

There sure have been a lot of comments about my ranking for not caring.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil was offered to come back in January of 1999 to try to keep Jordan (and after Tim Floyd had already been hired). The strike had kept the season from starting yet. It was Reinsdorf, not Krause that did so.
Reinsdorf being on his side would seem to mean more than the GM wanting him.

No Pippen...not as easy.....said no. Those are the only facts.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My logic is far from flawed. You just disagree. If we are talking taking on challenges and doing more with less (which I like to see) Phillip certainly is not on the level of Spo and Brown. I guess you could make an argument he is with Pop, but Duncan/Kawhi, etc. are not MJ or Kobe IMO.

There sure have been a lot of comments about my ranking for not caring.

You are claiming that Phil cannot do things that he has not had the opportunity to do. That's flawed to start.

We don't give a crap about your rankings. It's your comments on Phil and the Bulls' demise that need fact-checking.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reinsdorf being on his side would seem to mean more than the GM wanting him.

No Pippen...not as easy.....said no. Those are the only facts.

In January of '99, well after the season would've normally already started, and because they were trying to retain Jordan.

Pippen leaving and Phil were for the same reason, not one because of the other.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are claiming that Phil cannot do things that he has not had the opportunity to do. That's flawed to start.

We don't give a crap about your rankings. It's your comments on Phil and the Bulls' demise that need fact-checking.
Now THAT comment of yours is flawed. Oh, the irony. My ranking was not because he couldn't do those things but because he hadn't and the guys I would put ahead of him have.

sure seem to be crying a lot about rankings you don't care about.

Since I'm capable of moving on I will. You can both get the last word (unless you ask a direct question you want answered), Emoji Boy.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now THAT comment of yours is flawed. Oh, the irony. My ranking was not because he couldn't do those things but because he hadn't and the guys I would put ahead of him have.

sure seem to be crying a lot about rankings you don't care about.

Since I'm capable of moving on I will. You can both get the last word (unless you ask a direct question you want answered), Emoji Boy.

Well…

None of the guys you have ranked ahead of him have won 11 rings with 2 different teams.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Aside from possibly Brown, what coach has ever sought out worse situations?

Even Brown wasn't going to teams that were devoid of talent.

What coach was turning down coaching the Shaq/Kobe Lakers to go coach some bottom feeder?

You're trying to discredit Phil for not doing what no one else would do if given that choice. That is the flaw in your logic.