• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 CFB Regular Season thread (AKA: The last year of normal college football)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan vs. Maryland

Well, it looks like Michigan had a tougher time with Maryland than we all thought they would. It's about time! Finally, Michigan got tested! And they survived! That HAS to bode well for next week's main event.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Week 12- Good and Bad

A tough break for Jordan Travis and Florida State last night in that North Alabama game. On that note, let's see what else was bad (and good!) from Week 12 of this season:

It was a Bad Week for:
The Florida Gators (Missouri pulled one out of the fire last night against Florida, beating them 33-31. So now the only way that the Gators can get bowl-eligible now is against the aforementioned Seminoles. Poor guys...)
Utah (Jesus Christ! That was the worse Utah has looked in football in a REALLY long time, as Arizona cleaned their clocks in Arizona.)
USC (While we're on the subject of the PAC-12, let's make fun of the Trojans one more time! They lost at home to UCLA, and now Caleb Williams is planning for the NFL Draft and won't be there for USC's bowl game. They are SO boned.)
Fresno State (Not only did the Bulldogs lose their shot at the Mountain West title thanks to New Mexico, their bitter rivals in San Jose are now bowl-eligible.)
Auburn (HOLY SHIT! New Mexico State just defeated an SEC school for the first time ever!! Now the Aggies have 2 weeks to prep for their epic C-USA title shot against Liberty, and-
Oh, hi Auburn. What?! That was YOU that lost to NMSU?! ...You guys have the "Iron Bowl" next week, don't you? ...Well, shit.)

It was a Good Week for:
Washington's defense (So the Huskies offense wasn't their old, dominant selves. So what?! Thanks to a proud effort from their defense, Washington passed YET ANOTHER big test in the PAC-12.)
Tulane (Tulane FINALLY looked good with a ranking in 2023, as they took out FAU 24-8. Even better for them is the fact they won't have to worry about James Madison anymore [App. State stunned the Dukes in overtime]!)
Louisville (The Cardinals won a dogfight against Miami 31-24, meaning they'll get a chance to upset Florida State in the ACC title game.)
The Big 10 West (Things are starting to look better over here. The West now has a definitive champion in Iowa, Wisconsin is bowl-eligible, and Northwestern is now a true success story [they're bowl-eligible, too!].)
Army (The Black Knights upset Coastal Carolina on their Senior Day in West Point. Navy also won, adding extra juice to the upcoming Army/Navy game. And their other rival Air Force has now lost 3 games in a row thanks to UNLV.)

...and I'm done! Now get some rest, because Rivalry Week will be starting in about 56 hours.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan vs. Maryland

Well, it looks like Michigan had a tougher time with Maryland than we all thought they would. It's about time! Finally, Michigan got tested! And they survived! That HAS to bode well for next week's main event.
bode well? :pound:not really. last two weeks, qb has sucked. Zero passing TDs in last 3 games. purdue gm not that much better. 1 pick, 5 sacks.

special teams bailed the offense out. If not for maryland shooting themselves in the foot multiple times, outcome could have been very different.

JJ
DATEOPPRESULTCMPATTYDSCMP%TDINTLNGSACK
Sat 11/18@MDMDW
31-24
Sat 11/11@PSU10PSUW
24-15
Sat 11/4vsPURPURW
41-13

McCord
DATEOPPRESULTCMPATTYDSCMP%TDINTLNGSACK
Sat 11/18vsMINNMINNW
37-3
Sat 11/11vsMSUMSUW
38-3
Sat 11/4@RUTGRUTGW
35-16

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Week (Part 1- Tuesday through Friday)

Well, here we go again. The time of year where the most craziness happens in college football: Rivalry Week.
Now this is the early part, where we get a few offerings on Thanksgiving and Black Friday... before the Shatner hits the fan on Saturday. And of the 16 games on offer during this period, there are actually QUITE a lot of good choices. So let's get to...

The Top 10 Games of Rivalry Week (Part 1- Tuesday through Friday)

(All times are Eastern, and all games on Friday unless noted)
10. Eastern Michigan @ Buffalo [7:30 tonight, ESPN2] (For some, Rivalry Week is about winning division titles and/or "New Year's Six" berths. But for others, it's about one primal thing: Survival. That's why this game from the MAC is on the list. Eastern Michigan NEEDS to win their season finale here in Buffalo to get bowl-eligible. Can they do it?)

9. Miami @ Boston College [12:00, ABC] (Just a simple battle between two 6-5 teams here, both looking to get back on the winning track before bowl season begins. Can BC win on their Senior Day, or will Miami's strong efforts over the last 2 weeks finally pay off here?)

8. Air Force @ Boise State [4:00, FOX Sports 1] (Amazing. Despite firing their head coach less than 2 weeks ago, Boise State is still in the thick of the Mountain West title race. Let's see if they can pull the comeback off, as they host an Air Force team that is now in free-fall mode. The Falcons COULD still go to the Mountain West title game, but ONLY if they stop the Broncos here.)

7. Iowa @ Nebraska [12:00, CBS] (So Iowa is going back to the Big 10 title game! ...Why are they an underdog against a Nebraska team that'll be fighting for their postseason lives on Friday? Maybe it's because of what I just said; Iowa doesn't have to play at 100% here, while Nebraska HAS to. Or maybe because it'll be a low-scoring game... which is what the Huskers need to win this.)

6. TCU @ Oklahoma [12:00, FOX] (Much like Nebraska, TCU will be playing for their postseason lives here. But there's a little more at stake; Oklahoma can still go to the Big 12 title game if things break their way. Although it WILL be hard for OU to do that with Dillion Gabriel out for the rest of the year.)

5. Missouri @ Arkansas [4:00, CBS] (Ah, yes. The annual farce of a rivalry that is the "Battle Line Rivalry". But there is a LITTLE bit of juice to the proceedings this time around. Arkansas has just said it'll "retain" Sam Pittman for the 2024 season, which means his job is in jeopardy. As for Missouri, they're looking to get that 10th win that'll hopefully put them in a "New Year's Six" bowl. Can Arkansas spoil the party and help Pittman out here?)

4. Ole Miss @ Mississippi State [7:30 Thanksgiving, ESPN] (Actually, Ole Miss is in the same boat as Missouri right now: In the early part of "Rivalry Week", they'll be hoping to beat a rival on the road to enhance their "New Year's Six" chances. But Ole Miss will be feeling the pressure here for 3 reasons.
1. They're in Starkville for this edition of the "Egg Bowl", which means those damn cowbells are in effect.
2. Mississippi State is fighting for their postseason lives in this game.
And 3. It's the first "Egg Bowl" in Starkville since the passing of Mike Leach. Oh boy.)

3. UTSA @ Tulane [3:30, ABC] (Now we're onto the REAL heavyweights! It's "win-and-you're-in" in New Orleans this Black Friday. Whoever wins this glamour game between the Green Wave and the Roadrunners will go to the AAC title game... and maybe even host it! Will Tulane's defense handle the job one more time? Or will Frank Harris and the UTSA offense be too much to overcome?)

2. Texas Tech @ Texas [7:30, ABC] (And now for a game that'll have playoff implications. It's really freaking simple for Texas: If they bypass Texas Tech one more time, they're off to the Big 12 title game with their CFP chances intact. Yet Texas Tech will be playing loose after clinching a bowl berth last week, plus they got Tahj Brooks [who's got 1,352 rushing yards on the season]. Hmm...)

1. Oregon State @ Oregon [8:30, FOX] (So FOX is moving "WWE Smackdown" over to FS1 to make room for the latest Oregon/Oregon State game. Can't say I blame them; this game is easily the biggest one of the early slate this week. Don't forget what happened between the Ducks and the Beavers last year! Oh, and Oregon can clinch a rematch with Washington for the PAC-12 title if they win here. But Oregon State could have beaten Washington last week with a couple more plays and... oh, I give up! Just enjoy the madness in Eugene this Friday!)

Game with the best chance to be a bust: Toledo @ Central Michigan (The Chippewas are ANOTHER team that'll be playing for their postseason lives this Friday. But sadly for them, Toledo is still in the mix for a "New Year's Six" invite. They're SO not winning against the Rockets.)

My prediction segment is next!

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that if Oregon loses vs Oregon State, then Arizona moves to 2nd place in the PAC12. This is because Arizona beat Oregon St who’s the next best team in the PAC, and Oregon didn’t.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Week Predictions (Part 1- Tuesday through Friday)

My understanding is that if Oregon loses vs Oregon State, then Arizona moves to 2nd place in the PAC12. This is because Arizona beat Oregon St who’s the next best team in the PAC, and Oregon didn’t.
And that's another reason why the Oregon/Oregon State game is our early "main event". Now here are my picks for the game in Eugene (and a few others):

Top 25:
(11)Oregon State 24 @ (6)Oregon 34
Texas Tech 23 @ (7)Texas 38
(9)Missouri 39
@ Arkansas 24
(12)Penn State 26 @ Michigan State 19
(13)Ole Miss 35 @ Mississippi State 28
TCU 17 @ (14)Oklahoma 28
(16)Iowa 17 @ Nebraska 21
UTSA 30
@ (24)Tulane 22

Other big games:
Toledo 41
@ Central Michigan 17
Air Force 17 @ Boise State 20
Miami 27
@ Boston College 21

My time's up. You've been great. Enjoy your Thanksgiving, folks!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Friday recap
...I'm kinda disappointed. Most of the games that occurred over the last 4 days were blowouts. Teams like Oregon, Texas, and Ole Miss bypassed their bitter rivals... some with frightening ease. But there WERE some good games; Iowa won a wacky, defensive slugfest against the Huskers.

And then, there was this game that came out of nowhere.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Saturday- Top 10 Games

Well, one thing is for sure: Today's action will definitely trump what we have gotten so far with Rivalry Week. Because it's time for many schools to settle their hash, as it is time for...

The Top 10 Games of Rivalry Saturday!

(All times are Eastern)
1. Ohio State @ Michigan [12:00, FOX] (Tensions in my household are high once again, all thanks to this latest installment of "The Game". If you are familiar with the OSU/Michigan rivalry and the high stakes it usually carries, you know why this game is #1 once again.)

T-10. Northwestern @ Illinois, and Wisconsin @ Minnesota [3:30 on the Big 10 Network and FOX Sports 1 respectfully] (For some rivalries, it's all about bragging rights. But for others, it's all about survival. And that's why these 2 games are sharing the #10 spot. It's basically the same thing here: An old Big 10 rivalry, where the home team is fighting for not only the bragging rights, but a trip to the postseason. And you just know that the road teams would LOVE to ruin that dream.)

9. BYU @ Oklahoma State [3:30, ABC] (I was initially going to put UNLV vs. San Jose State on this spot, because a UNLV loss would cause a 3-way log jam at the top of the Mountain West. But this game in Stillwater takes this spot instead, partly because I couldn't find the UNLV game on my cable box. But it's mostly because Oklahoma State can clinch a spot in the Big 12 title game against Texas with a win. And if the Cowboys fail to do that, BYU will get bowl eligibility... and put the Oklahoma Sooners in that same Big 12 title game.)

8. Clemson @ South Carolina [7:30, SEC Network] (This is the game that fans of both schools have circled on their calendars: The annual "Battle of the Palmetto State". But poor South Carolina have fallen victim to that hard-as-nails schedule of theirs, and now they need to beat Clemson for the 2nd year in a row just to make a bowl. As for Clemson, they have a boatload of momentum and revenge on their minds for last year's loss in Clemson.)

7. Alabama @ Auburn [3:30, CBS] (Ah, yes. The annual "Iron Bowl". And we have the usual playoff-hopeful Crimson Tide coming to Auburn to see if they can keep their dreams alive. But I had to knock this edition of the "Iron Bowl" down a few spots, all thanks to Auburn losing to New f---ing Mexico State last week. Do this Auburn Tigers team have ANY pride left after that?)

6. North Carolina @ NC State [8:00, ACC Network] (Here, we just have two in-state rivals ready to beat each other down for bragging rights. And NC State is closing the 2023 season strong, so they'll be ready. As for UNC, I wanted to question their motivation after they lost to Clemson last week. But the Tar Heels have lost 2 straight to the Wolfpack, so I don't think that'll be a problem.)

5. Kentucky @ Louisville [12:00, ABC] (This one is the annual "Battle of the Commonwealth Cup" between Kentucky and Louisville. And Louisville is on their way to the ACC title game, but they have to stay focused. I mean, this is the mental hurdle that the Cardinals have to clear now; they've lost 4 in a row to the Wildcats. How big the ACC title game will be next week will all depend on if Kentucky can shock their rivals once again.)

4. Washington State @ Washington [4:00, FOX] (This version of the "Apple Cup" is almost the same as the BYU/OK State game. Like BYU, Washington State will be trying to get bowl-eligible with a shocking road win. And if Wazzu manage to do that, Washington's playoff chances could die on the spot in Seattle. The Huskies HAS to dig deep and prove themselves to the nation one more time.)

3. Georgia @ Georgia Tech [7:30, ABC] (So, what are we going to do to convince ourselves that THIS is the week where Georgia loses that epic winning-streak of theirs? Should we talk about the mounting pressure? Or the fact that Georgia Tech clinched a bowl berth last week, and can now play loose and throw everything at the Bulldogs? Or are we just grasping for straws? Georgia's dynamic squad should give us the answer.)

2. Florida State @ Florida [7:00, ESPN] (So why is a 5-6 Florida team, who is playing for their postseason lives tonight, have the #2 game on this list? Simple. Their opponent is an undefeated rival in Florida State. A rival, by the way, that is playing their first game without their team leader Jordan Travis. And Florida could have beaten Missouri AT Missouri if a couple more plays went their way. Will FSU's great run to the CFP die in "The Swamp"?)

Best "mid-major" game: UNLV @ San Jose State (I kinda gave this one away early, didn't I? Well, just know that UNLV can clinch a Mountain West title shot if they win at San Jose. And expect things to go haywire if they don't.)
Honorable mentions for the Top 10: Texas A&M @ LSU, James Madison @ Coastal Carolina, California @ UCLA, and Southern vs. Grambling.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Saturday- Top 10 Games

Well, one thing is for sure: Today's action will definitely trump what we have gotten so far with Rivalry Week. Because it's time for many schools to settle their hash, as it is time for...

The Top 10 Games of Rivalry Saturday!

(All times are Eastern)
1. Ohio State @ Michigan [12:00, FOX] (Tensions in my household are high once again, all thanks to this latest installment of "The Game". If you are familiar with the OSU/Michigan rivalry and the high stakes it usually carries, you know why this game is #1 once again.)

T-10. Northwestern @ Illinois, and Wisconsin @ Minnesota [3:30 on the Big 10 Network and FOX Sports 1 respectfully] (For some rivalries, it's all about bragging rights. But for others, it's all about survival. And that's why these 2 games are sharing the #10 spot. It's basically the same thing here: An old Big 10 rivalry, where the home team is fighting for not only the bragging rights, but a trip to the postseason. And you just know that the road teams would LOVE to ruin that dream.)

9. BYU @ Oklahoma State [3:30, ABC] (I was initially going to put UNLV vs. San Jose State on this spot, because a UNLV loss would cause a 3-way log jam at the top of the Mountain West. But this game in Stillwater takes this spot instead, partly because I couldn't find the UNLV game on my cable box. But it's mostly because Oklahoma State can clinch a spot in the Big 12 title game against Texas with a win. And if the Cowboys fail to do that, BYU will get bowl eligibility... and put the Oklahoma Sooners in that same Big 12 title game.)

8. Clemson @ South Carolina [7:30, SEC Network] (This is the game that fans of both schools have circled on their calendars: The annual "Battle of the Palmetto State". But poor South Carolina have fallen victim to that hard-as-nails schedule of theirs, and now they need to beat Clemson for the 2nd year in a row just to make a bowl. As for Clemson, they have a boatload of momentum and revenge on their minds for last year's loss in Clemson.)

7. Alabama @ Auburn [3:30, CBS] (Ah, yes. The annual "Iron Bowl". And we have the usual playoff-hopeful Crimson Tide coming to Auburn to see if they can keep their dreams alive. But I had to knock this edition of the "Iron Bowl" down a few spots, all thanks to Auburn losing to New f---ing Mexico State last week. Do this Auburn Tigers team have ANY pride left after that?)

6. North Carolina @ NC State [8:00, ACC Network] (Here, we just have two in-state rivals ready to beat each other down for bragging rights. And NC State is closing the 2023 season strong, so they'll be ready. As for UNC, I wanted to question their motivation after they lost to Clemson last week. But the Tar Heels have lost 2 straight to the Wolfpack, so I don't think that'll be a problem.)

5. Kentucky @ Louisville [12:00, ABC] (This one is the annual "Battle of the Commonwealth Cup" between Kentucky and Louisville. And Louisville is on their way to the ACC title game, but they have to stay focused. I mean, this is the mental hurdle that the Cardinals have to clear now; they've lost 4 in a row to the Wildcats. How big the ACC title game will be next week will all depend on if Kentucky can shock their rivals once again.)

4. Washington State @ orgot uva-va tech always special in virgina no matter theWashington [4:00, FOX] (This version of the "Apple Cup" is almost the same as the BYU/OK State game. Like BYU, Washington State will be trying to get bowl-eligible with a shocking road win. And if Wazzu manage to do that, Washington's playoff chances could die on the spot in Seattle. The Huskies HAS to dig deep and prove themselves to the nation one more time.)

3. Georgia @ Georgia Tech [7:30, ABC] (So, what are we going to do to convince ourselves that THIS is the week where Georgia loses that epic winning-streak of theirs? Should we talk about the mounting pressure? Or the fact that Georgia Tech clinched a bowl berth last week, and can now play loose and throw everything at the Bulldogs? Or are we just grasping for straws? Georgia's dynamic squad should give us the answer.)

2. Florida State @ Florida [7:00, ESPN] (So why is a 5-6 Florida team, who is playing for their postseason lives tonight, have the #2 game on this list? Simple. Their opponent is an undefeated rival in Florida State. A rival, by the way, that is playing their first game without their team leader Jordan Travis. And Florida could have beaten Missouri AT Missouri if a couple more plays went their way. Will FSU's great run to the CFP die in "The Swamp"?)

Best "mid-major" game: UNLV @ San Jose State (I kinda gave this one away early, didn't I? Well, just know that UNLV can clinch a Mountain West title shot if they win at San Jose. And expect things to go haywire if they don't.)
Honorable mentions for the Top 10: Texas A&M @ LSU, James Madison @ Coastal Carolina, California @ UCLA, and Southern vs. Grambling.

you forgot uva-va tech-always a special game in virgina despite the records.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Saturday predictions

Last year I went against my mom and picked Ohio State to win. And I was wrong. Well, I won't make the same mistake again twice.
(2)Michigan over (3)Ohio State 27-21

As for the other games this Saturday, read 'em and weep:

Top 25:
(1)Georgia 37
@ Georgia Tech 20
Washington State 31 @ (4)Washington 35
(5)Florida State 24 @ Florida 28
(8)Alabama 40
@ Auburn 21
Kentucky 17 @ (10)Louisville 24
Texas A&M 27 @ (14)LSU 37
(15)Arizona 42
@ Arizona State 20
(18)Notre Dame 31 @ Stanford 28
Iowa State 19 @ (19)Kansas State 33
BYU 23 @ (20)Oklahoma State 43
Vanderbilt 14 @ (21)Tennessee 35
North Carolina 35
@ (22)NC State 34
(24)Clemson 28 @ South Carolina 21
(25)Liberty 47 @ UTEP 17

Other big games:
Northwestern 21 @ Illinois 24
Navy 17 @ SMU 31
Virginia Tech 27
@ Virginia 24
Wake Forest 34 @ Syracuse 28
Wisconsin 28 @ Minnesota 17

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivalry Saturday- Good and Bad

This will be a shorter version of the "Good/Bad" segment. And that's because we ALL know that if you beat your rival, you had a good week. And if you don't, it's a bad week. But there ARE some notables to look at, so let's get to it!

It was a Good Week for:
The Liberty Flames (Liberty FINALLY got a ranking in the CFP a few days ago. And with a 42-28 win at UTEP, Liberty finishes off a perfect 12-0 regular season. Maybe they WILL go to a "New Year's Six" bowl if things go their way next week.)
Kentucky (For the first time since 1977, Kentucky has won a road game against a team ranked in the top 10 of the AP Poll. The fact that it was against their bitter rivals Louisville [again] makes it even sweeter for them.)
Oklahoma State (So what if they struggled all day with BYU? They fought back, they won in double overtime, and now they'll challenge Texas for the Big 12 title next week.)
The Sun Belt (This conference now has 11 teams eligible for a bowl! I don't know how many teams will actually be bowling, but it's still pretty impressive.)

It was a Bad Week for:
Oregon State (The Beavers just lost their golden-boy coach Jonathan Smith, as he is off to coach Michigan State. Even worse, their only remaining friend in the PAC-12 [Washington State] couldn't pull the upset against Washington.)
My cynical eye (I thought Florida State would crumble without Jordan Travis under center. I thought Syracuse had no chance to get that 6th win. And I thought NC State would stumble late against the Tar Heels. ...I was wrong on all 3 counts.)
The Mountain West (Well, doomsday has come to the Mountain West, as UNLV lost to San Jose State. Now the conference has to use the computer rankings to find out who's going to their own title game.)

Richard Reese (This man sure did his part for the Baylor Bears yesterday, as he ran back 2 kickoff returns [on consecutive possessions!]. But his team couldn't hang on, and they lost to West Virginia. Poor guy.)

Well, I'm off to go yell at Alabama's luck some more. I'll check back later.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Championship Week hierarchy

Another year, another epic collection of championship games. And to make it even better, nearly every one of them will have a bearing on who goes to either a "New Year's Six" bowl or the playoff. So it's time (once again) for me to give you my "Championship Week hierarchy"!

PAC-12: Washington vs. Oregon [8:00 Friday, ABC] (So this will be the final act for the PAC-12 conference: A championship game between bitter rivals. Where the 2 Heisman frontrunners [Michael Penix Jr. and Bo Nix] will go at it. And whoever wins this epic duel, either the undefeated Huskies or the #5-ranked Ducks WILL be going to the playoff. I can't wait!)

SEC: Georgia vs. Alabama [4:00, CBS] (Well, here we go again. A moment where Kirby Smart and Nick Saban will match wits and football teams against each other in Atlanta. If Georgia keeps it together and wins, then it'll be no problem. But Jalen Milroe's wonderous improvement as the Crimson Tide's starting QB will make that REALLY hard to do.)

ACC: Florida State vs. Louisville [8:00, ABC] (Florida State has wanted an ACC title shot since the season started, and now they got it! So it'll be the Seminoles taking on the surprising Louisville Cardinals in Charlotte. But what's this? FSU is only a 2.5 point favorite according to the Vegas sharks? Even though Louisville just lost to a 6-5 Kentucky team? Are they THAT worried about FSU not having Jordan Travis for this game?)

Big 10: Michigan vs. Iowa [8:00, FOX] (Drink all of the "haterade" that you want; Michigan is back in the Big 10 title game and ready to defend their crown against Iowa. Although I AM surprised that Michigan is a 21.5 point favorite, with a point spread of 35. It'll be all up to Iowa's offensive attack to make a game of it here in Indy.)

Big 12: Oklahoma State vs. Texas [12:00, ABC] (Now when you talk about playoff scenarios, you're always going to have "doomsday" events like "What if Alabama wins, and then all of the other unbeatens lose?" For Texas, they'll get to those scenarios later; right now they're focused on fulfilling their preseason goal. And that is to win one more Big 12 title before joining 'Bama in the SEC. But does OK State have a surprise for the Longhorns?)

Conference USA: New Mexico State @ Liberty [7:00 Friday, CBS Sports Network] (Liberty has been cruising on a soft schedule, but it's working as they are 12-0 and ranked #24 in the latest CFP poll. Now it's "D-Day" for the Flames: The time where they must prove they belong on the big stage. And to make things even bigger, New Mexico State is a quality opponent [they have 10 wins, for Christ's sake!]. Will Liberty fold, or win a spot in a "New Year's Six" bowl tomorrow night?)

American: SMU @ Tulane [4:00, ABC] (Another team in control of their "New Year's Six" dreams is the defending AAC champions. Yep, Tulane has kept it together! And if they do a good enough job in beating up SMU [or if Liberty loses], the Green Wave will be going back to a "NY6" bowl. However, SMU is not to be taken lightly; the Mustangs have the type of offense that can drive Tulane crazy.)

MAC: Miami-Ohio vs. Toledo [12:00, ESPN] (This one should be straight-up fun. We got two teams who are a combined 21-3, and they're rivals in the state of Ohio. We also have proud runners in-
Wait. I just thought of something sick. What if BOTH Tulane and Liberty loses this weekend? Would that put Toledo in the driver's seat for a "NY6" bowl if they win this one?)

Sun Belt: Appalachian State @ Troy [4:00, ESPN] (Hey! App. State is back in the Sun Belt title game! That's pretty awesome. Now let's see if they can pull off another upset and stop Troy's dreams of a repeat conference title. It's a QB duel between Joey Aguilar and Gunner Watson, and let's see who wins.)

Mountain West: UNLV vs. Boise State [3:00, FOX] (So the Mountain West is last on the hierarchy this year. Oh well, at least we'll have a good success story once this game is over. Either Boise State will salvage a rough 2023, or UNLV will win only their 2nd-ever conference title.)

My last prediction segment of the season is next!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Championship Week predictions

Time for an overdue look at my prediction record:
Week 12: 17-8
Rivalry Week: 22-8 overall

So now how will things look on this Championship Week? Let's find out; here are my picks!

(1)Georgia 28 vs. (8)Alabama 31
(2)Michigan 27
vs. (16)Iowa 14
(3)Washington 31 vs. (5)Oregon 35
(4)Florida State 37
vs. (14)Louisville 27
(7)Texas 40 vs. (18)Oklahoma State 28
SMU 38 @ (22)Tulane 34
New Mexico State 24 @ (24)Liberty 31
Miami-Ohio 30
vs. Toledo 24
Appalachian State 28 @ Troy 31
Boise State 27
vs. UNLV 21

Now all that's left for me to do is to sit back and see if my cynicism towards Washington and Georgia pays off.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not sure how UL’s D compares from last season but Rodemaker went 6/10 109-2-1 when inserted into that game.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today on ESPN, 1 lucky team will get to join Michigan, Washington, and Florida State in the 4-team playoff. And in my opinion, there are 3 candidates.
Will Georgia hold on? Will Alabama regain control? Or will Texas sneak in through the back door? Tune in at 1 P.M. to find out!

Oh! And here's the reason why the playoff committee will have this debate in the first place.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl ratings special

This might be my last post on this thread, as I present my bowl ratings for the 2023 season. Now if you're expecting me to rage about the playoff... well, I'll rage a little here. But in reality, you should just read what Michael Alford (the athletic director for FSU) has to say about it; he summed it up better than I can.

And with that done, here are my "star ratings" for the 2023 bowls!

5-Star Bowls [like the Hotel Madame Reve in Paris]:
The CFP Semifinals and National Championship
(This edition of the playoff will have everything. Big-name coaches. Schools from all across the country [like Washington and Texas] taking part. And of course, the controversy that'll be following the games. This should be EPIC.)
Orange Bowl: Florida State vs. Georgia [4:00 December 30th] (And here are those poor Seminoles who got left out. But at least FSU has the perfect chance to prove the skeptics wrong. As for Georgia, they want their own form of redemption. Will the Bulldogs stand tall, or will FSU get the ultimate act of revenge against the CFP committee?)

4-Star Bowls [like the Luxor in Las Vegas]:
Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: Penn State vs. Ole Miss [12:00 December 30th]
(We have a great coaching match-up here! So will Lane Kiffin get a much-needed marquee win for his Rebels program? Or will James Franklin get Penn State another "New Year's Six" bowl trophy to silence the restless souls in "Happy Valley"?)
Valero Alamo Bowl: Arizona vs. Oklahoma [9:15 December 28th] (Yeah! Here's another beautiful looking game, as a red-hot Arizona team meets their future "Big 12" teammate in San Antonio. And Oklahoma is... well, Oklahoma! A high-scoring game is expected.)
Sun Bowl: Notre Dame vs. Oregon State [2:00 December 29th] (In contrast, this could be a low-scoring game in El Paso. And it'll be important for BOTH of these teams to win it; Notre Dame needs a win to elevate their national title hopes for 2024, and Oregon State REALLY needs to elevate themselves for their new career as an independent.)

3-Star Bowls [like a usual Hilton or a Best Western]:
Cotton Bowl: Missouri vs. Ohio State [8:00 December 29th]
(Missouri's lack of sizzle is the only reason why their game with Ohio State isn't a 4-star game. Anyway, let's see if the best Missouri team in a decade can silence an always-dangerous Ohio State team.)
Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Liberty [1:00 January 1st] (You folks may scoff at this bowl game, but think of what we got here! We got a strong Oregon team led by Bo Nix, taking on a Cinderella team from Conference USA. Can the Liberty Flames put up a real fight against the Ducks?)
Citrus Bowl: Iowa vs. Tennessee [1:00 January 1st] (Iowa's lack of offensive zing is well-known, but you can't deny what kind of defensive talent they have. Meanwhile, Tennessee might not have had the type of success they had last year, but their offense is still really good. Let's see who wins in this game of contrasting styles.)

2-Star Bowls [like a standard budget hotel]:
L.A. Bowl: UCLA vs. Boise State [7:30 December 16th]
(Boise State is actually quite happy right now! They won back "their" Mountain West title, they've locked down their head coach, and now they get to be on ABC for their bowl game. As for UCLA... I don't think they want to lose this de-facto home game and put Chip Kelly in even more trouble with his bosses.)
Las Vegas Bowl: Utah vs. Northwestern [7:30 December 23rd] (Who would have thought that Northwestern would be in a bowl game after the "offseason from hell" they had to go through last spring? Well, here they are, ready to get even more happy vibes going for 2024. As for Utah? They just want to get a win in Las Vegas and prepare for 2024 as soon as possible.)
Duke's Mayo Bowl: North Carolina vs. West Virginia [5:30 December 27th] (Just 2 southern-fried teams facing off in Charlotte, trying to get a bath of mayonnaise at the end of the game. This game just looks like fun to me.)
Holiday Bowl: Louisville vs. USC [8:00 December 27th] (On paper, this game looks really good; the USC Trojans taking on a surprise team in Louisville for the fans in San Diego. Now if only Caleb Williams was playing in this game. Then we would have had a REAL barn-burner on our hands.)
Pop-Tarts Bowl: NC State vs. Kansas State [5:45 December 28th] (Oh, trust me. This could be a good game as we have 2 well-coached teams going at it. But the name... Ewwww! I had to knock this bowl from the 3-star ranks just because of the name.)

1-Star Bowls [where you see people having sex in a wading pool of spaghetti]:
The rest of them.

...Man, those lists were shorter than I expected. Is it just me, or does this bowl season look worse than in recent years? Let me know.