• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Fansville" is right... This season will be nuts! (2022 CFB season follow-along thread)

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (12/21 and 12/22)

Good old Hilltoppers! Thanks to their defense showing up, they defeated South Alabama in the New Orleans Bowl. As for the Armed Forces Bowl, Air Force didn't allow Baylor's offense to get going until it was way too late.

Rating for the New Orleans Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the Armed Forces Bowl: 2.25 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (December 23rd and 24th)

With me on a roll thanks to Western Kentucky and Air Force, let's see if I can get more bowl picks right (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN):

Today:
Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl: Houston vs. Louisiana [3:00]
(In the middle of a chilly day in Shreveport, Louisiana, we have two teams that had disappointing seasons. So who do I go with? A Cajuns team that is 6-6 but will be playing in their home state, or a Houston team that has a bad defense but has the better offense? The X-factor is Louisiana's QB Ben Wooldridge; if he can't attack Houston's D, his team is toast.)
My prediction: Houston 31-25

Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl: Wake Forest vs. Missouri [6:30]
(On one hand, we got "Power 5" teams going at it in this bowl game. And I already know this game will be more competitive than the Las Vegas Bowl. But on the other hand, this looks like a "coin-flip" game; Wake Forest is coming into this bowl with 4 losses over their last 5 games, while Missouri may be 6-6 but is on a roll at the moment.
First let me look at Missouri- Wait, what was that? People like Isaiah McGuire and Martez Manuel are sitting out the game? And Sam Hartman WILL play this game for Wake? Welp, I got my choice nailed down!)
My prediction: Wake Forest 38-31

Tomorrow:
EastPost Hawaii Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs. San Diego State [8:00]
(Once the NFL slate of games winds down, people will settle in for a "cool-down" game at two 7-5 teams face off in a place we can't afford to go to: Hawaii when it's 80 degrees. As for the game, I like Middle Tennessee here; they're on a 3-game winning streak, I like their QB Chase Cunningham, and SDSU's passing offense is pretty bad.)
My prediction: Middle Tennessee 27-20

And in case I don't see you guys over the next 2 days, have a Happy Holidays!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 6- December 26th and 27th)

Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas! Me, I was alright... and not just because I went 3-0 in my recent picks.

Back to business. Tuesday (and the rest of the week, for that matter) is gonna be loaded with bowl games. So let's see what's up over the next 2 days (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN):

Today:
Quick Lane Bowl: Bowling Green vs. New Mexico State [2:30]
(Today's bowl will be just a small appetizer for the madness that'll come this week. And here, we just have 2 lower-tier schools in the rare position of playing in a bowl [Bowling Green is in their first bowl since 2015, while this is NMSU's 3rd bowl game ever. It should be a fun event, and of course, go Falcons!)
My prediction: Bowling Green 27-17

Tomorrow:
Camellia Bowl: Georgia Southern vs. Buffalo [12:00]
(Here's a little fun fact: Did you know that Kyle Vantrease, the current QB for Georgia Southern, used to be the starting QB for the Buffalo Bulls? This is quite the coincidence for both of these schools... and one that should spell victory for Clay Helton and his Eagles.)
My prediction: Georgia Southern 32-26

SERVPRO First Responders Bowl: Memphis vs. Utah State [3:15]
(I honestly can't get excited for this particular bowl game. So I'll just go with Memphis here; if their defense can stop Utah State's running-back Calvin Tyler Jr., their passing attack should do the rest.)
My prediction: Memphis 37-24

Tickersmarter Birmingham Bowl: Coastal Carolina vs. East Carolina [6:45]
(Now THIS bowl game looks good! We got two teams facing each other for the first time ever, and both CCU and ECU have sick QB's to look at [Grayson McCall and Holton Ahlers, respectfully]. And both teams have bad secondaries, so it should be a high-scoring game.
The X-factor here is ECU's wide-receivers; if they run wild, I don't think the Chanticleers can keep up.)
My prediction: East Carolina 41-37

Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Oklahoma State [from Phoenix, AZ] {10:15}
(Okay, folks. Set your DVR's for this one, because this bowl game will be serious. Both Oklahoma State and Wisconsin are off disappointing seasons; the Cowboys had a disastrously-bad November, while Wisconsin went 6-6 and fired their head coach in the middle of the season.
So who will show up and salvage the pride for their school? Wisconsin's offense may be bad, but OK State's defense is not that great. And as for the Cowboys, can they finally clean up their act?)
My prediction: Oklahoma State 28-21

More bowl picks to come shortly...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (December 23rd through 26th)

This is just a simple recap of recent bowl action.
For the Independence Bowl, Houston only led one time against Louisiana... at the very end of the game! Good comeback win for them.
For the Armed Forces Bowl, Wake Forest were just better than the Tigers on that day.
And as for the Hawaii Bowl, Middle Tennessee were able to beat SDSU with a late field goal. I was on a ROLL!

New Mexico State vs. Bowling Green - College Football Box Score - December 26, 2022 | ESPN The reason I said I WAS on a roll was because of this game that happened yesterday. Multiple missed field goals, Matt McDonald being knocked out of the game early on, and NMSU's star QB Diego Pavia all combined to make Bowling Green (and me) a loser in Detroit.

Rating for the Independence Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the Hawaii Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Quick Lane Bowl: 2.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (December 27th)

I'm not too mad about my 2-2 record from yesterday. When it came to the First Responder Bowl and the Birmingham Bowl, I nailed those picks as Memphis and East Carolina used their offenses to score big wins for the American Conference.

As for the other 2 bowls, those weren't bad picks I made... they were just close games that went the way of the Badgers and the Bulls. The Camellia Bowl was pretty tight, too.

Rating for the Camellia Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the First Responder Bowl: 2.25 stars
Rating for the Birmingham Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Guaranteed Rate Bowl: 2.75 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 7- December 28th)

On today's bowl slate, something big will happen: Other networks besides ESPN will start covering them! That sounds exciting, right? So let's go (All times are Eastern)!

Military Bowl presented by Peraton: UCF vs. Duke [2:00, ESPN] (Here is one of the bowl games that I'm interested in, as the Golden Knights and the Blue Devils face off. And Duke is playing with "house money" over here; NOBODY, and I mean, NOBODY had Duke in a bowl game in preseason, let alone with 8 wins. As for the Knights, they have a more balanced offense than Duke's, but they have to be sad over Tulane taking away their "New Year's Six" bowl game 4 weeks ago. Hmmm...)
My prediction: Duke 35-34 (I'll run with my ACC teammate, and see what happens.)

Autozone Liberty Bowl: Arkansas vs. Kansas [5:30, ESPN] (Really? These guys are geographical neighbors, yet they haven't played each other since 1906? Well, in this rare match-up I think Kansas will just be happy to be here, in their first bowl game since 2008. Trouble is, Arkansas wants to get a proud victory here and start working on their 2023 campaign, so the Razorbacks should roll if K.J. Jefferson gets going.)
My prediction: Arkansas 35-20

Holiday Bowl: Oregon vs. North Carolina [8:00, FOX]
(THERE'S a bowl game that ESPN couldn't hang on to! Anyway, we got a marquee contest between 2 household programs in Oregon and North Carolina, and we'll also get a QB battle between Bo Nix and Drake Maye [who just recommitted to UNC after some transfer options]! Trouble is, neither of these teams have momentum on their side; UNC have lost their last 3, while Oregon had rivals like Washington and Oregon State steal their lunch.
The X-factor is this game is the Tar Heel defense; it had BETTER learned a lesson from those last 3 games. Otherwise, the Ducks will run through them.)
My prediction: Oregon 41-34

TaxAct Texas Bowl: Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss [9:00, ESPN]
(Forget about the mirror streaks these teams have [Ole Miss has lost 3 in a row, while Tech has won their last 3]; let's focus on what could be a slobberknocker. And I say this because BOTH Texas Tech and Ole Miss have proud, young rushers that can take over the game; Tech has SaRodorick Thompson, Ole Miss has Quinshon Judkins. Thing is, can Tech's defense handle the REST of the Rebels offense? I think not.)
My prediction: Ole Miss 37-31

More bowl picks to come...

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (December 23rd through 26th)

This is just a simple recap of recent bowl action.
For the Independence Bowl, Houston only led one time against Louisiana... at the very end of the game! Good comeback win for them.
For the Armed Forces Bowl, Wake Forest were just better than the Tigers on that day.
And as for the Hawaii Bowl, Middle Tennessee were able to beat SDSU with a late field goal. I was on a ROLL!

New Mexico State vs. Bowling Green - College Football Box Score - December 26, 2022 | ESPN The reason I said I WAS on a roll was because of this game that happened yesterday. Multiple missed field goals, Matt McDonald being knocked out of the game early on, and NMSU's star QB Diego Pavia all combined to make Bowling Green (and me) a loser in Detroit.

Rating for the Independence Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the Hawaii Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Quick Lane Bowl: 2.5 stars
I could have told you NMSU would win that game.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liberty Bowl

Whooooooooaa NELLY! We got an all-timer yesterday from Memphis, as Arkansas loses a 25-point lead to Kansas yet REFUSES to give up!

My bowl rating: 4 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holiday Bowl

Oh! We can't forget about THIS bowl game, as the Holiday Bowl emerges from a 2-year hiatus to give us yet another thriller. And thanks to Bo Nix, Oregon wins a bowl that wasn't AS good as the Liberty Bowl, but was darn close.

My bowl rating: 3.5 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12/28 recap (The Military and Texas Bowls)

Yesterday's action actually started with the Military Bowl, as my choice to run with Duke payed off thanks to their defense.
But then my luck ran out in the Texas Bowl as Texas Tech won. Ah, turnovers... the ultimate equalizer.

Rating for the Military Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Texas Bowl: 2.75 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 8: December 29th)

So tomorrow we begin the "New Year's Six" bowl action... I hope you guys prepare accordingly as today's bowl games moves inland (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN).

Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse vs. Minnesota [2:00] (On the surface, this game looks OK. We have the Orange back in a bowl game, as they take on P.J. Fleck and his Golden Gophers. And both teams just loves to run the football, which explains the low over/under on this game.
Too bad that our top RB Sean Tucker is sitting out this game as he preps for the NFL Draft. Without him on the field for the 'Cuse, Minnesota should be able to take over this matchup in Yankee Stadium.)
My prediction: Minnesota 24-14

Cheez-It Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Florida State [5:30]
(In terms of brand-name recognition, this game is right up there. I mean, we got Florida State coming back from a few lean years to take on mighty Oklahoma in a bowl game! And we got an awesome QB duel: Dillon Gabriel vs. Jordan Travis! With those guys running the show, we could have a high-scoring affair!
...That might be Oklahoma's only chance at winning, as their defense is a hot mess. AND the Seminoles' D looks a lot better than theirs. So I like FSU to keep a cool head here.)
My prediction: Florida State 47-35

Valero Alamo Bowl: Texas vs. Washington [9:00]
(Here is one of the big marquee bowl games of the year. You got two proud teams; a Washington team that has 10 wins and is on a roll, and a Texas team that actually did really good during the month of November. You have 2 strong QB's [Michael Penix Jr. for Washington, and Quinn Ewers for Texas]. And you- Wait. My dark side's telling me something...
Texas will be without their top 2 runners for this game? And Penix Jr. is staying at Washington for his final year? WELL, THEN...)
My prediction: Washington 34-31

More bowl picks to come shortly...

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction: Ole Miss 37-31

I Kind of feel like Lane Kiffin got a bit of the "free pass treatment" from the media this season.

He got some cover from high profile disappointments at Oklahoma, Baylor, Florida.... and especially TEXAS A&M who was the punching bag.

They loved just using the sound bite "Lane Train"

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheez-it Bowl

I never said that this game would be a Florida State blowout; I just thought that FSU had the edge. Well, they did as they outfought Oklahoma in an epic 4th quarter... and we got another "instant classic" to boot!

My rating: 3.75 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap [12/29] and Orange Bowl preview

Let's look at the other two bowls from yesterday, now. For the Pinstripe Bowl, I was right on the money as Minnesota took it home in Yankee Stadium. At least Syracuse didn't get blown out.
And as for the Alamo Bowl, some late-game stops from Washington's defense helped the Huskies win it.

Rating for the Pinstripe Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Alamo Bowl: 3.25 stars

So with the bowl action now getting REALLY good, it's time for the "New Year's Six" bowls to take the stage. Here's the one on tonight:

Orange Bowl: Tennessee vs. Clemson [8:00, ESPN]
(Jeez. Look at the matchup for this installment; "Orange Bowl" is right! But seriously, both of these teams are looking at this game as a springboard; Tennessee is looking for it's first 11-win season since 2001, while Clemson is looking to stay on the short list of guaranteed playoff contenders. Both teams have a different QB than the ones that started the season for them. And... well, how will Clemson's defense stop Tennessee's offense?
But the X-factor for me is the other end; what will Clemson's offense do against Tennessee's D?)
My prediction: Tennessee 38-35

The rest of today's bowl action is coming up...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (December 30th- Rest of the bowls)

Here are the rest of the bowl games going on today (All times are Eastern):

Duke's Mayo Bowl: NC State vs. Maryland [12:00, ESPN] (Former ACC opponents are going at it in Charlotte, and it's... actually pretty even. Yes, Maryland is 7-5, but they still have Taulia Tagovailoa and a good running back. And sure, NC State didn't have the season they wanted this year, but at least they have toughness and a better defense. It's a literal coin flip, so...)
My prediction: Maryland 27-24

Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl: Pittsburgh vs. UCLA [2:00, CBS]
(An east-coast team taking on a west-coast in a bowl game that's in the middle of the country. It NEVER gets old. And both Pitt and UCLA have proud running backs; Israel Abanikanda is with Pitt, and Zach Charbonnet is with UCLA. Trouble for UCLA is, the Panthers' rushing defense is AWESOME.
But here's the problem for Pitt; they can't really rely on their QB's [Kedon Slovis just announced he's transferring to BYU]. And UCLA's QB Dorian Thompson-Robinson? He's ready to end his career on a high.)
My prediction: UCLA 31-23

Taxslayer Gator Bowl: South Carolina vs. Notre Dame [3:30, ESPN]
(This bowl match-up has a Notre Dame team that got better as the season went on taking on a South Carolina team that is coming off HUGE wins over the participants in tonight's Orange Bowl. I could go on and on about the QB matchup or their defenses, but you know what? I'm gonna let my mother tell me who will win this one.)
My prediction: South Carolina 24-20

Barstool Arizona Bowl: Ohio vs. Wyoming [4:30, Barstool.com]
(Aw, man! So the CBS Sports Network couldn't hold on to this bowl game? And now the only way we can see the Arizona Bowl is through Barstool?!
...That actually might be a good thing for Wyoming; not too many people will see them get beat by the Bobcats of Ohio who is seeking a VERY rare 10-win season. And yes, Ohio's secondary is not good, but I don't think Wyoming's offense can exploit it.)
My prediction: Ohio 27-14

So the CFP semifinals are tomorrow. Ready for the human sacrifice?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12/30 Bowl recap (Part 1- Orange, Sun, and Duke's Mayo)

I kinda don't like ESPN saying that Tennessee "steamrolled" Clemson in the Orange Bowl. When they say "steamroll", I thought Clemson had lost by about 30 points, but they didn't.

As for the other two bowls on this post, the Duke's Mayo Bowl was low-scoring and close. And it ended with another triumph for Maryland and me.

Pittsburgh vs. UCLA - College Football Game Summary - December 30, 2022 | ESPN The Sun Bowl, however, was HIGH-scoring and close. And it ended with heartbreak for UCLA... and me.

Rating for the Orange Bowl: 2.75 stars
Rating for the Duke's Mayo Bowl: 2.5 stars
Rating for the Sun Bowl: 3.75 stars

Last edited:

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12/30 Bowl recap (Part 2- Gator and Arizona)

Maybe the best bowl game from yesterday was the Gator Bowl, where Notre Dame won a thriller over South Carolina.

Ohio vs. Wyoming - College Football Game Summary - December 30, 2022 | ESPN But while that was going on, Ohio won a thriller over Wyoming to get their second 10-win season in school history. Show this game some love, please?

Rating for the Gator Bowl: 4 stars
Rating for the Arizona Bowl: 3 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 9- New Year's Eve)

So, are you guys ready for a long, extensive look at the CFP semifinals? ...Well, too bad! I have Michigan beating TCU in the Fiesta Bowl, and Georgia winning in their own backyard against the Buckeyes.

But there are 2 other bowl games going on today, and here they are (All times are Eastern):

TransPerfect Music City Bowl: Iowa vs. Kentucky [12:00, ABC] (So for the 2nd year in a row, Iowa and Kentucky will face each other in a low-scoring bowl game. And Vegas actually has Iowa as the favorite... despite the fact that their top 2 QB's are out for the game. It must be due to Jack Campbell, that proud linebacker that Iowa has. Or maybe they know something about Iowa's 3rd-string QB that we don't.
Well, I got Kentucky due to their QB Will Levis and RB Chris Rodriguez- Wait, what was that? Levis and Rodriguez aren't playing in this game, either?! Well, great! Let me flip a coin...)
My prediction: Kentucky 17-10

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Kansas State [12:00, ESPN]
(Here we go! THIS is the early-window game to watch! Why? Well, nearly everyone for Alabama and K-State will be playing in this one; no big opt-outs to report here! And you have a miffed Crimson Tide squad taking on a Wildcats team that is both excited and tough as nails.
But I know what's gonna happen here. Alabama will let K-State hang around for the 1st half, and then BOOM! Bryce Young and company will pin the Wildcats down in the 2nd half. Bank on that!
My prediction: Alabama 34-28

Have a Happy New Year's Eve, folks! Let's hope that my quick run through the CFP semis doesn't bite me in the @$$!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFP semifinals recap

So for the first time ever, BOTH playoff semifinals turned out to be instant classics. It's probably best that you find the games on YouTube and enjoy at your own pace to see TCU and Georgia show off their championship chops.

Rating for the Fiesta Bowl: 4.5 stars
Rating for the Peach Bowl: 4.75 stars

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December 31st bowl recap (Part 2) and January 2nd bowl previews (Part 1)

Those 2 CFP semifinals games were SO much better than the other two bowls we got on New Year's Eve.
The Sugar Bowl result? I saw that coming from a mile away. But the Music City Bowl result? What a disgrace for Kentucky (and for my picks)!

But now it's time for the last day of the bowl season. Nothing else to say; let's start it up again (All times are Eastern):

Realiquest Bowl: Mississippi State vs. Illinois [12:00, ESPN2] (So after the emotional roller-coaster that Mississippi State has been through over the last few weeks, it's finally time to play ball. And Illinois is now thinking "Hey! Our conference-mate Iowa just shocked an SEC team, we can do the same thing here!". And they might if their defense is able to stop Will Rogers.
But the X-factor of this game could be the Illini offense; QB Tommy DeVito and RB Chase Brown will have to carry the day.)
My prediction: Illinois 31-24

Citrus Bowl: Purdue vs. LSU [1:00, ABC]
(Hmmm... Why does the Vegas sharks have LSU as such a huge favorite? Maybe it's because Purdue is now without Jeff Brohm as their head coach [who's now at Louisville]? Or maybe it's because they really like LSU's defense to bounce back after 2 rough outings? I want to buy into their arguments, but I actually see a close game upcoming.)
My prediction: LSU 27-24

Cotton and Rose Bowl picks are up next!