• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What will arrive first: Fall or Jung? The Rangers travel to Beantown for some Dunkins and baseball

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that would basically be admitting failure. i would think we keep them at minimum 5 years

Failure, mistake, smart business or playing better cheaper talent :scratch:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Failure, mistake, smart business or playing better cheaper talent :scratch:
when you sign a major star to a 10-year deal or even a 7-year deal and then start looking to trade them away you are admitting that you are a failure

Reactions: DTC

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you sign a major star to a 10-year deal or even a 7-year deal and then start looking to trade them away you are admitting that you are a failure

How many long term deals ending up being good for the team by the time it's ran it's course, probably less than 10%...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many long term deals ending up being good for the team by the time it's ran it's course, probably less than 10%...
so sign someone to a 10-year deal and then dump him after2 or 3 years, eat a bunch of contract and get little in return

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many since then? and those were at A+ and AA. the last 2 years (2020 & 2021) he played 13 & 82 games

So what's your point other than he's forgotten how to prepare for playing a long season :scratch:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Daniels is gone...
Hopefully our mgr will get input on what his needs are. Hard to be accountable for rag knots like Kole and Miller. Mgrs can't build around that.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When they fired Daniels and Woodward and after they let Beas and some more go in the offseason, I think you could say they admitted failure already.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully our mgr will get input on what his needs are. Hard to be accountable for rag knots like Kole and Miller. Mgrs can't build around that.
Oh I have no doubt that there will be plenty of meetings with all parties involved as to what the team needs going forward and how to realistically try to fill those needs. Whether that be from within or via trade or sign a FA or whatever they can concoct. The managements challenges facing them this off season are daunting, figuring out how to put fans butts in seats and being able to improve the team without breaking the bank. And who to cut loose or trade and what younguns to stash on the 40 man roster to protect them going forward. Talent alone isn't always the deciding factor if the prospect doesn't have the right mindset the talent will go to waste...

But no matter what they end up doing "the best-laid plans of mice and men often go astray..."

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they fired Daniels and Woodward and after they let Beas and some more go in the offseason, I think you could say they admitted failure already.
Be happy Jerry Jones doesn't own the Rangers... :L

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so sign someone to a 10-year deal and then dump him after2 or 3 years, eat a bunch of contract and get little in return
Who says you have to lose your shirt when you trade a player away??? Sometimes you make out like a bandit and sometimes you don't, everything has risk to it...

Trading away one or both of them after 2-3 years isn't necessarily admitting defeat, especially if you fill that position with a younger player from within the organization that is the same or better. You should be able to get a pretty decent package of talent back for each player unless they fall apart like Roogie. Sure you may have to eat a bit of their salaries to move them but if the return package is good and the youngun who took his place is only making around $1M or so you should be way ahead. Players aren't like family dogs where you have them from 8 weeks old until they die, they're a commodity that can be used and moved to achieve the end goal which is winning the WS...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is what has been wrong with the Rangers only they have had a Jerry in FO and down.
I never could figure out what they saw in JD to begin with but I'm not an owner and I don't know JD personally so maybe I just need to keep quiet.

But I must admit when JD finally switched from getting guys with high upsides who they had to teach how to hit to guys who already had good hit tools (last 5 years or so) that he was smart enough to realize his mistakes and willing to try to fix them...

Reactions: DTC

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
correct but they should be able to be build around someone like Seager and Semien and not cut and run after a couple of seasons. that sends the wrong message to others that are approaching FA that the Rangers are not true to their word. guys sign contracts looking for long term steadiness in their careers. maybe 4-6 years in, but 2-3 says don't sign with the Rangers

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who says you have to lose your shirt when you trade a player away??? Sometimes you make out like a bandit and sometimes you don't, everything has risk to it...

Trading away one or both of them after 2-3 years isn't necessarily admitting defeat, especially if you fill that position with a younger player from within the organization that is the same or better. You should be able to get a pretty decent package of talent back for each player unless they fall apart like Roogie. Sure you may have to eat a bit of their salaries to move them but if the return package is good and the youngun who took his place is only making around $1M or so you should be way ahead. Players aren't like family dogs where you have them from 8 weeks old until they die, they're a commodity that can be used and moved to achieve the end goal which is winning the WS...
yes, it is. imagine the Rangers do that do you think other top FA's are going to take anything the Rangers say about a long-term deal serious? i don't. we'll go back to where we are now where we sign the Calhoun's & Miller's and Culberson's instead of the Seager's or Semien's and everyone on the board spends dozens of posts complaining about them being on the team

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, it is. imagine the Rangers do that do you think other top FA's are going to take anything the Rangers say about a long-term deal serious? i don't. we'll go back to where we are now where we sign the Calhoun's & Miller's and Culberson's instead of the Seager's or Semien's and everyone on the board spends dozens of posts complaining about them being on the team

Unless I miss my guess most FA's go to places where they can play everyday, possibly have a shot at a WS ring and for a good payday, (not necessarily in that order) they know it's a business and aren't homers like some fans...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's your point other than he's forgotten how to prepare for playing a long season :scratch:
when the season opened it was assumed that he and Trevino would be splitting playing time and then they traded for Garver and traded Trevino, so he prepared for that contingence not knowing that Garver would go down to injury and Huff wasn't ready.