• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What must a G5 school do in order to get into the playoffs?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to single out any G5 program specifically. What specifically must they do to get top 4 or top 6 ranking?

I know the obvious answer is win all their games. But that hasn't been good enough for some schools in particularly.

When I ask this, keep in mind the following things:

(1) The players and coaches cannot control how good or how bad their schedule is.

(2) 2/3rds of their schedule are out of the ADs control. Only the last 1/3 or 3-4 games.

(3) These schools are playing with half the budget of the major programs and less access to 4-5 star recruits.

(4) These games are scheduled years in advance, and you never really know whether or not, you will get a quality opponent, a ranked opponent, or a bad opponent. If you were in the shoes of a G5 school, you probably wouldn't like the concept that these schools need to strike "lightening in a bottle" or "having to win the lottery".

I have noticed that most G5 schools schedule 2 AQ teams every season.

What should they do in order to be considered in the top 4 or top 6? Perhaps they should schedule 3 AQ teams, and hopes at least one of them turns into a quality opponent. Do you think that's a fair standard? Your AD finds 3 AQ opponents to play. You beat all your conference opponents and AQ opponents. You then should be in the playoff conversation.

I want to hear from both G5 fans and P5 fans here.

2010 TCU is the only non-major conference champion to make it into the final four. They beat two AQ programs that season -- 5-7 Oregon State and 7-5 Baylor. Other notable wins they had were 7-6 SMU, 8-4 Air Force, 8-4 San Diego State, and ranked 10-2 Utah.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All they can do is control what they can control. Don't schedule FCS schools all non conference games should be against Power 5 schools regardless of the quality but they should try to schedule better teams years in advance. That is about the only way they can do it. The rest is luck on the schedule part because they have to hope that those schools are good when they play them, if they do that they have a shot if not then they will be like UCF playing in a big bowl game but watching the real national champions on television like the rest of us.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get an invite to a p5 conference.

That's reality. Sorry but you know. The only group that could fuss is independent. For that it will come to sos, so schedule matters.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already made this argument.... well it was formed more so in a question as to 'what caused the ranking system to change?' because that is essentially what has happened.

Potential playoff you'd least like to see <-- you may have to do a lot of reading to get the full context here, but it is worth it if you hold true to your position OP.

No one here wants to have that actual conversation, even if you refute their points entirely. They are pratically college leftists at a Shapiro lecture chanting about how they actually believe they are 78 year old gender fluid pine trees and they will NOT be told otherwise.

So I will just sit back and watch....

giphy.gif

KnobbCreek

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's reality. Sorry but you know. The only group that could fuss is independent. For that it will come to sos, so schedule matters.
This is the correct answer, without going into crazy shenanigans like every P5 champ having 2+ losses etc.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the correct answer, without going into crazy shenanigans like every P5 champ having 2+ losses etc.

I agree that this IS the reality, but I do not agree that it necessarily should be.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the arguments against expanding that float around the idea of shortening the regular season, academics, etc... are all bullshit. There is no need to shorten the regular season and taking tests is a cop out as every other school can do it as well as ALL THE OTHER STUDENT ATHLETES THAT DO IT IN OTHER SPORTS. I find it absolutely mind boggling that "FANS" of all people do not want more football. This is a fucking paradox.

Anyway, I have a change of heart on the expansion talk. I think 12 game regular season, then we move straight into a 64 team playoff. That would be amazing. I want my bracket on my football.... I want my football on my bracket.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do like Florida State did when they were trying to get respect. Any team, any time, any where. If you have to go independent to do so, then so be it. But if you go independent, schedule like Notre Dame, not BYU. If you're a broke ass school, you're never gonna have the recruiting and coaching staff budget to be a real playoff contender anyways.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to single out any G5 program specifically. What specifically must they do to get top 4 or top 6 ranking?

I know the obvious answer is win all their games. But that hasn't been good enough for some schools in particularly.

When I ask this, keep in mind the following things:

(1) The players and coaches cannot control how good or how bad their schedule is.

(2) 2/3rds of their schedule are out of the ADs control. Only the last 1/3 or 3-4 games.

(3) These schools are playing with half the budget of the major programs and less access to 4-5 star recruits.

(4) These games are scheduled years in advance, and you never really know whether or not, you will get a quality opponent, a ranked opponent, or a bad opponent. If you were in the shoes of a G5 school, you probably wouldn't like the concept that these schools need to strike "lightening in a bottle" or "having to win the lottery".

I have noticed that most G5 schools schedule 2 AQ teams every season.

What should they do in order to be considered in the top 4 or top 6? Perhaps they should schedule 3 AQ teams, and hopes at least one of them turns into a quality opponent. Do you think that's a fair standard? Your AD finds 3 AQ opponents to play. You beat all your conference opponents and AQ opponents. You then should be in the playoff conversation.

I want to hear from both G5 fans and P5 fans here.

2010 TCU is the only non-major conference champion to make it into the final four. They beat two AQ programs that season -- 5-7 Oregon State and 7-5 Baylor. Other notable wins they had were 7-6 SMU, 8-4 Air Force, 8-4 San Diego State, and ranked 10-2 Utah.

1) Irrelevant...lack of control has no bearing of whether your schedule is good or bad. Bad schedules are bad, you don't get pity points.

2) If you know 2/3 of your schedule is shitty, might be a good idea to make the other 1/3 better.

3) Again, there are no pity points. There is a reason that G5 schools routinely lose to P5 schools. You don't get extra points because you are less talented.

4) Yes, they are scheduled years in advance. All the more reason to not schedule a P5 team that hasn't sniffed the top 10 in decades. 2017 Fresno State knew exactly what it was scheduling when it scheduled Alabama and Washington last year, UCF knew exactly what it is getting when it scheduled Georgia Tech and North Carolina in 2020.

If a G5 team wants to be considered for a top 4 spot. Here is what I think needs to happen

1) Schedule at least 2 P5 teams, at least one of which has been a top 10 team in the last decade or a blue blood...there are 35 to chose from. The other should not be a doormat, no Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Kansas, Oregon St....

2) Schedule a decent G5, one that is a potential contender in anther G5 conference.

3) If you have a 4th game, don't expect to get any bonus points by making it an FCS opponent.

If you have to go on the road to schedule two decent P5 teams, tough shit, your schedule is already soft enough, every P5 contender has to play 2-3 decent p5 teams on the road or more, why are you special.

In short, nobody should have to make allowance for your schedule being shitty, you should already have made allowances to insure it wasn't.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do like Florida State did when they were trying to get respect. Any team, any time, any where. If you have to go independent to do so, then so be it. But if you go independent, schedule like Notre Dame, not BYU. If you're a broke ass school, you're never gonna have the recruiting and coaching staff budget to be a real playoff contender anyways.

1) Irrelevant...lack of control has no bearing of whether your schedule is good or bad. Bad schedules are bad, you don't get pity points.

2) If you know 2/3 of your schedule is shitty, might be a good idea to make the other 1/3 better.

3) Again, there are no pity points. There is a reason that G5 schools routinely lose to P5 schools. You don't get extra points because you are less talented.

4) Yes, they are scheduled years in advance. All the more reason to not schedule a P5 team that hasn't sniffed the top 10 in decades. 2017 Fresno State knew exactly what it was scheduling when it scheduled Alabama and Washington last year, UCF knew exactly what it is getting when it scheduled Georgia Tech and North Carolina in 2020.

If a G5 team wants to be considered for a top 4 spot. Here is what I think needs to happen

1) Schedule at least 2 P5 teams, at least one of which has been a top 10 team in the last decade or a blue blood...there are 35 to chose from. The other should not be a doormat, no Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Kansas, Oregon St....

2) Schedule a decent G5, one that is a potential contender in anther G5 conference.

3) If you have a 4th game, don't expect to get any bonus points by making it an FCS opponent.

If you have to go on the road to schedule two decent P5 teams, tough shit, your schedule is already soft enough, every P5 contender has to play 2-3 decent p5 teams on the road or more, why are you special.

In short, nobody should have to make allowance for your schedule being shitty, you should already have made allowances to insure it wasn't.

Both of these are also fair points.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, they must play the following schedule:

1. Duke
2. New Mexico State
3. at South Carolina
4. Southern Miss
5. Ole Miss
6. at TAMU
7. Tennessee
8. Arkansas
9. LSU
10. at Miss State
11. Western Carolina
12. at Auburn

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The system was created to keep any and all G5 schools out of
the playoff.

There is nothing that can be done.

Does anybody believe that a P5 League is going to allow
a G5 Champ to take away one of only 4 spots open?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, they must play the following schedule:

1. Duke
2. New Mexico State
3. at South Carolina
4. Southern Miss
5. Ole Miss
6. at TAMU
7. Tennessee
8. Arkansas
9. LSU
10. at Miss State
11. Western Carolina
12. at Auburn

Guaranteed to be a better schedule than any G5 team next year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the huge profits they would reap from that...might be enough to be a Prius...used.
Maybe.

None of em are getting rich off the current set up either.

Not many schools profit from athletics. Couple dozen or so.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play a good schedule.

G5 have an uphill battle because they play in weaker conferences and if they aren't up for the challenge, then they should take their asses to FCS.

Yet for some reason teams every year keep coming into the FCS.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Danny White had real balls, he would publicly challenge Alabama to play them instead of Western Carolina next year.

But he won't, because UCF doesn't really give a shit about playing a tough schedule and they know what will happen, so they will sit around and hide claiming they are too good to take that game.