• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What must a G5 school do in order to get into the playoffs?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every single G5 is at a massive competitive disadvantage because of their lack of recruiting power. There are outstanding coaches and special teams that come along, but still they are full of 2 and 3 star kids almost exclusively.

So why on earth are so many buying into some conspiracy that artificially keeps the best of their ranks from being a top 4 team? :L

It will take a perfect storm of down P5 contenders AND a stellar G5 that showed those 3* kids are at an exceptional level. And why on earth shouldn't it take that?

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Danny White had real balls, he would publicly challenge Alabama to play them instead of Western Carolina next year.

But he won't, because UCF doesn't really give a shit about playing a tough schedule and they know what will happen, so they will sit around and hide claiming they are too good to take that game.
Bama wouldn't drop the FCS opponent to play UCF, the week before the Iron Bowl.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that this IS the reality, but I do not agree that it necessarily should be.

OP’s question is how what they MUST do, not whether it SHOULD be the case. In any event, it’s already been said that much of it is out of their control. There literally is no set of actions they can take to guarantee anything.

I agree with you, though, that this should not be the case.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to single out any G5 program specifically. What specifically must they do to get top 4 or top 6 ranking?

I know the obvious answer is win all their games. But that hasn't been good enough for some schools in particularly.

When I ask this, keep in mind the following things:

(1) The players and coaches cannot control how good or how bad their schedule is.

(2) 2/3rds of their schedule are out of the ADs control. Only the last 1/3 or 3-4 games.

(3) These schools are playing with half the budget of the major programs and less access to 4-5 star recruits.

(4) These games are scheduled years in advance, and you never really know whether or not, you will get a quality opponent, a ranked opponent, or a bad opponent. If you were in the shoes of a G5 school, you probably wouldn't like the concept that these schools need to strike "lightening in a bottle" or "having to win the lottery".

I have noticed that most G5 schools schedule 2 AQ teams every season.

What should they do in order to be considered in the top 4 or top 6? Perhaps they should schedule 3 AQ teams, and hopes at least one of them turns into a quality opponent. Do you think that's a fair standard? Your AD finds 3 AQ opponents to play. You beat all your conference opponents and AQ opponents. You then should be in the playoff conversation.

I want to hear from both G5 fans and P5 fans here.

2010 TCU is the only non-major conference champion to make it into the final four. They beat two AQ programs that season -- 5-7 Oregon State and 7-5 Baylor. Other notable wins they had were 7-6 SMU, 8-4 Air Force, 8-4 San Diego State, and ranked 10-2 Utah.

The 2009 TCU team that lost to Boise in the Fiesta was in the top 4 as well. They finished #3 in the polls and #4 in the BCS.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, "because the SEC!"

No, because any P5 conference has more talent top to bottom than any G5 conference...otherwise G5's would win more games than they do. The AAC isn't 5 years old, and they have a 36-77 record against P5 conferences. Teams that go 4-8 in a P5 conference are called doormats. P6 my ass. FYI, the AAC and MWC are the only ones that sniff a 30% win percentage, the rest are under 20, some like the Sun Belt can break 10(6.4), lol, sure G5's are just as good as P5's....let me guess, you're mom convince you that Starter was just as good as Nike, they just change the label at the factory.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play a tough non-con with at least a couple of Power 5 teams on it hoping that preferably they finish ranked (or at the very least one does, highly in the polls would help). Play in a solid Group of 5 conference like the AAC and MWC were this season. Run the table and pretty much dominate. It would help if there were no nail biters in there. Lastly you might need some help depending on the strength of the resume of that 4th rated Power 5 team.

A lot of things need to go right, but that's what it takes. Most Power 5 teams play a pretty daunting schedule and it wouldn't be fair for one of those top 4 teams to be squeezed out of that last spot by a team that's less deserving.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama wouldn't drop the FCS opponent to play UCF, the week before the Iron Bowl.

So he could get free PR points.

But he won't because he's scared. If they actually play someone with a pulse, they won't be able to keep their mirage up.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play a tough non-con with at least a couple of Power 5 teams on it hoping that preferably they finish ranked (or at the very least one does, highly in the polls would help). Play in a solid Group of 5 conference like the AAC and MWC were this season. Run the table and pretty much dominate. It would help if there were no nail biters in there. Lastly you might need some help depending on the strength of the resume of that 4th rated Power 5 team.

A lot of things need to go right, but that's what it takes. Most Power 5 teams play a pretty daunting schedule and it wouldn't be fair for one of those top 4 teams to be squeezed out of that last spot by a team that's less deserving.

Good point regarding the AAC and MWC, hard to see anyone getting in out of any other conference. The Sun Belt has historically won 6.4% of their games against P5 competition....Nobody in the Sun Belt is even at the average for a MWC or AAC team, let alone near a Boise or UCF level.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go unbeaten , be a proven G5 ( like Boise , Houston , UCF ), have a huge OOC win and pray every other league champ has 2+ losses

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to single out any G5 program specifically. What specifically must they do to get top 4 or top 6 ranking?

I know the obvious answer is win all their games. But that hasn't been good enough for some schools in particularly.

(1) The players and coaches cannot control how good or how bad their schedule is.

(2) 2/3rds of their schedule are out of the ADs control. Only the last 1/3 or 3-4 games.

(3) These schools are playing with half the budget of the major programs and less access to 4-5 star recruits.

(4) These games are scheduled years in advance, and you never really know whether or not, you will get a quality opponent, a ranked opponent, or a bad opponent. If you were in the shoes of a G5 school, you probably wouldn't like the concept that these schools need to strike "lightening in a bottle" or "having to win the lottery".

What should they do in order to be considered in the top 4 or top 6? Perhaps they should schedule 3 AQ teams, and hopes at least one of them turns into a quality opponent. Do you think that's a fair standard? Your AD finds 3 AQ opponents to play. You beat all your conference opponents and AQ opponents. You then should be in the playoff conversation.

2010 TCU is the only non-major conference champion to make it into the final four. They beat two AQ programs that season -- 5-7 Oregon State and 7-5 Baylor. Other notable wins they had were 7-6 SMU, 8-4 Air Force, 8-4 San Diego State, and ranked 10-2 Utah.

Easy answer — play a P5 schedule

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like a 8 team playoff i dont know if that will get a ucf in or not But i think thats a start

That would have gotten them in because they are #8. Personally I'd swap them with Michigan and have them at 7 but that's neither here nor there and really doesn't matter anyway. I personally enjoy watching UCF play. They are fast and athletic and have a prolific offense. That's a damn good team just like they were last year. They should be respected. But the fact of the matter is they played zero teams who finished ranked, the two Power 5 teams they played were pretty much crap, and they were fortunate to beat an 8-5 Memphis team by one. That doesn't merit a playoff spot.

I'm in favor of the 4 team format. I'm sure it will eventually expand to 8, but the way it is keeps the regular season relevant and exciting. The teams that deserve to be there are in. Do teams like Michigan and UCF deserve the same opportunity as the four teams that are in the playoffs? No. Based on their resumes they absolutely do not.

Hard2Bluff

Beer Consumer
Hoopla Cash
$ 263.81
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Accept away games and win?

Crimson Kirk

Posting Intern
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P5 schedules aren’t necessarily a lay up, but it doesn’t help UCF that they only ranked opponents they see in a season are fellow AAC bottom-feeders. They need Houston, Memphis, and South Florida to stay ranked, in order to plead their case.

But I will say this notion UCF needs the “play anyone, anytime, anywhere”, scheduling attitude in order to get ahead is crap. Boise tried that shit 5 years back and they’re still in the same place. Most recently, Fresno State has adopted the same attitude. They also aren’t moving up in the CFB world anytime soon.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P5 schedules aren’t necessarily a lay up, but it doesn’t help UCF that they only ranked opponents they see in a season are fellow AAC bottom-feeders. They need Houston, Memphis, and South Florida to stay ranked, in order to plead their case.

But I will say this notion UCF needs the “play anyone, anytime, anywhere”, scheduling attitude in order to get ahead is crap. Boise tried that shit 5 years back and they’re still in the same place. Most recently, Fresno State has adopted the same attitude. They also aren’t moving up in the CFB world anytime soon.
Yeah, um not quite.

BSU finished two undefeated seasons during their run. In 2006 they didn't have a single ranked team on the slate until they beat Oklahoma in their bowl game. They jumped up to 8th after that victory. In 2009 they beat an Oregon team that ended up 11th and that was the only ranked team they played until beating TCU in their bowl game. They finished 4th after that. What screwed Boise State was a shit conference that couldn't give them any type of help in rankings. Had they had what UCF does now there's no way they wouldn't have been top 4 for this current playoff format both years. They moved to a better conference after that and *surprise* stopped running the table. They opened beating Georgia their first year in the MWC, but lost to TCU. Had they not lost that game they legit could have been top two.

It's hard to both have a good schedule AND run the table. Way too many want G5's to get participation trophies for at least trying or beating 12 shit stains. That wouldn't be fair to the schools that DO go play much tougher schedules week in and week out and everything else that goes with it. Who risks more injuries and worn out players? Teams in the SEC or teams in the AAC?

Crimson Kirk

Posting Intern
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, um not quite.

BSU finished two undefeated seasons during their run. In 2006 they didn't have a single ranked team on the slate until they beat Oklahoma in their bowl game. They jumped up to 8th after that victory. In 2009 they beat an Oregon team that ended up 11th and that was the only ranked team they played until beating TCU in their bowl game. They finished 4th after that. What screwed Boise State was a shit conference that couldn't give them any type of help in rankings. Had they had what UCF does now there's no way they wouldn't have been top 4 for this current playoff format both years. They moved to a better conference after that and *surprise* stopped running the table. They opened beating Georgia their first year in the MWC, but lost to TCU. Had they not lost that game they legit could have been top two.

It's hard to both have a good schedule AND run the table. Way too many want G5's to get participation trophies for at least trying or beating 12 shit stains. That wouldn't be fair to the schools that DO go play much tougher schedules week in and week out and everything else that goes with it. Who risks more injuries and worn out players? Teams in the SEC or teams in the AAC?
Boise moved from one G5 to another. They stopped running the table because it’s not possible to run the table every single year. They also haven’t gotten any further ahead in the final rankings than UCF has, and that’s considering all the scheduling and games you just mentioned.

Football is football. This notion it’s more dangerous in one conference as opposed to others is completely asanine.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boise moved from one G5 to another. They stopped running the table because it’s not possible to run the table every single year. They also haven’t gotten any further ahead in the final rankings than UCF has, and that’s considering all the scheduling and games you just mentioned.

Football is football. This notion it’s more dangerous in one conference as opposed to others is completely asanine.

The MWC that Boise St moved into would have gotten AQ status in the BCS, but the bigger conferences raided teams like Utah, TCU, West Virginia and such.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, um not quite.

That's not entirely accurate. You say Boise played zero ranked teams in the 2006 regular season, but they actually beat end of year #24 Hawaii and destroyed end of year #22 Oregon State 42-14 (a team that finished one game short of a PAC championship and beat #2 USC). After beating Big 12 champ Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl who was #7 at the time, our final ranking was #5, not 8.

And that 2009 Oregon team that finished 11th that was barely able to muster 8 points against Boise and was manhandled on every level imaginable was pretty damn good by the way. They won the PAC that year. That of course was the year after Boise went to Autzen in 2008 and beat an Oregon team that finished #9. I'd say finishing off the 2009 season by beating a third ranked TCU team who's defense was absolutely retarded was no small feat either.

You say that the MWC is tougher than the WAC and while that's true, it's by a very marginal amount. The problem for us hasn't been the supposed step up in conference, the problem is the squads we've fielded since we moved up outside of the 2011 team (finished #6) couldn't hold a fucking candle to the ones like '06, '08, '09, '10, etc. that played in the WAC. Zero comparison whatsoever. Not even a little bit close.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the big schools that you want to play will hesitate to schedule UCF if they are too good. Probably important to have those matchups sewn up as early as you can and hope they don't back out. And do it be fore it's noticed, then hope you are as good as advertised and beat a big program one year, and maybe go the rest of the way undefeated.